Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

12 hours ago, ztejas said:

He's a tosu troll... takes one click to check their bio and post history. 

12 hours ago, CenTex Hill Billy said:

That person is from Ohio. Probably a troll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was given assurance there'd be no fact-checking in this thread.

“In football, dinner was always a big thing. We had a pasta course and then we had a meat or fish. Pantoni did the prep work. He was doing a year for contempt, and he had this wonderful system for doing the garlic. He used a razor, and he used to slice it so thin that he used to liquefy in the pan with just a little oil. It was a very good system.”

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, troph said:

because winning is non-negotiable and UM knows he's the guy, but any CEO/ops guy will tell you they need their team.  UM needs his guy(s) to win.  so indirectly, that guy or those guys are non-negotiable.  if they won't come, he can't be guaranteed of winning, if he can't be guaranteed of winning, he won't go.  I think this is executive 101 actually.  not shocked at all.

also, his guys, who will help with the winning, will additionally help keep the aforementioned spider cyst at bay for 5 years.

at least he's not negotiating with the expectation to bring all his old buds who are still in G5 a paycheck.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, troph said:

because winning is non-negotiable and UM knows he's the guy, but any CEO/ops guy will tell you they need their team.  UM needs his guy(s) to win.  so indirectly, that guy or those guys are non-negotiable.  if they won't come, he can't be guaranteed of winning, if he can't be guaranteed of winning, he won't go.  I think this is executive 101 actually.  not shocked at all.

I'm not "shocked", just surprised.

CEOs and executives are also paid the big bucks to build teams that don't always include their former cronies. For $10MM per and the right budget, he should be able to find competent assistants. It's UM's system and culture, after all.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Alumnihorn on IT (supposedly in the know)

It is literally a coin flip now. And it could happen at any moment. I was just told this by someone that knows.

12 million isn't a coin flip. Meyer knows one way or another, everyone else who knows, knows, and those that don't speculate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

I don’t think Pantoni is going to say “urban, you’re just going to have to stay retired.....I’m not coming”.

Pantoni is coming because it’s going to be too lucrative not too. I know OSU can match anything we pay him, but that won’t be everything.

Pantoni is coming.

I don't think you understand how well Ohio State takes care of its own, even the guys who get dumped like Bruce and Cooper.  There is a reason those guys and their extended families all remained in Columbus well after their tenures at Ohio State ended and it's not the winter weather.    

So if we are reading the tea leaves, seems like Pantoni and Marrotti (sp?) are wanted.  Seems like Pantoni is a non-negotiable.  If we are willing to shell out 60 million and 20 million on staff... we aren't going to let one person make or break this deal.

Pantatoni is about to get a life changing amount of money offered to him.  Quick google search shows 200k currently at tOSU.  How about we bump that to 600k?  If he says no, bump it to 800k,  if he says no, bump it to 1 mil.  

Edited by victory88
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I do not know how I can say it so people stop thinking this is an option. Stoops isn’t happening. That’s not from a “source” either. 

yeah. if stoops wants to coach college there will be another blue blood opening he can tackle later.  I know he's an Ohio guy but maybe Michigan?

Just now, vtaenz said:

12 million isn't a coin flip. Meyer knows one way or another, everyone else who knows, knows, and those that don't speculate. 

Exactly. But the burger talk and the flight aware and being excited can stay though? Right! This is too much fun. Look at all these people popping up on this site now. 

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

So if we are reading the tea leaves, seems like Pantoni and Marrotti (sp?) are wanted.  Seems like Pantoni is a non-negotiable.  If we are willing to shell out 60 million and 20 million on staff... we aren't going to let one person make or break this deal.

Pantatoni is about to get a life changing amount of money offered to him.  Quick google search shows 200k.  How about we bump that to 600k?  If he says no, bump it to 800k,  if he says no, bump it to 1 mil.  

Also keeping a lot of the defensive staff saves on buy outs as well.

3 minutes ago, alincoln said:

I don't think you understand how well Ohio State takes care of its own, even the guys who get dumped like Bruce and Cooper.  There is a reason those guys and their extended families all remained in Columbus well after their tenures at Ohio State ended and it's not the winter weather.    

I heard its Chili with fucking beans in it.

2 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

CEOs and executives are also paid the big bucks to build teams that don't always include their former cronies. For $10MM per and the right budget, he should be able to find competent assistants. It's UM's system and culture, after all.

This isn't surprising to me at all.  UM realizes Texas is a "project".  UM taking this job would 100% be about ego and proving he can turn our shit show into a winner again.  He's got plenty of money and makes plenty of money for Fox so that is irrelevant (other than again, the principle that is he's coaching he's going to be paid top dollar)  If he takes the job his success (or lack thereof) significantly impacts his legacy.    It makes complete sense to me he isn't taking that kind of risk without people in place he trusts without having to groom. He's not 40 anymore.   

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

How long were Bama’s negotiations with Saban? If it can believed they just kept asking until he said yes. Refused to take no for an answer. Wear ‘em down! Hook’em. No is not an answer we should accept. There is no “no.” 

You're starting to sound like a Briles fan...

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I’m not blown away by any options outside of Urban. If Urban says no for now but he thinks he’ll be ready to get back into coaching a year from now, it may be worth it to hold out one more year. And yes, I know that means suffering another year of turtle Tom. Ugh

Thats not an option.  Tom is gone.  Hopefully its Urban - but it will be someone other than Herman.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

And there's the sign of the new, unknown troll looking to set up maximum disappointment in a fanbase. 

Mr. Orange was an undercover narc so name checks out 

39 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

The discussion needs to move towards Italian food. If we are gonna go after some real Piasans we better be able to compete with those Ohio raviolis we’ve heard so much about. 
let’s start with Sbarro’s I’ll hang up and listen.

Niki’s Pizza in Dobie Mall

5 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

How long were Bama’s negotiations with Saban? If it can believed they just kept asking until he said yes. Refused to take no for an answer. Wear ‘em down! Hook’em. No is not an answer we should accept. There is no “no.” 

38 days total, 2 days of direct talks

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut
  • Like 1

I think he’s coming. They’ll figure everything out. His highest salary ever was 7.6M. Just guesstimating he probably has 30-40M banked in different assets. Do a 5/$60M contract and almost double what he already has. Then you’re 61 and be done. That’s tough to turn down from a financial standpoint, even for a guy with big money. Throw in his competitive juices and it’s happening. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, 936horn said:

Can anyone give me a good reason why they get their dick hard about Shanahan? What makes us think he could recruit or coach the college game? I get that he's a young coach who took his team to the SB but he's spent his entire career in the NFL

He's a HELL of a coach. I think he's prodigious when it comes to coaching offense. He excels at getting his playmakers the ball in space to make plays. He turned Matt Ryan into an MVP on a historically good Falcons offense.. He made a Super Bowl with Jimmy G. He has an injury decimated 49ers team hanging around in a tough division.

I think what his system does well would translate to college because as I said it's about getting playmakers open and getting them the ball. I think it's the kind of thing that would appeal to high school talent and he clearly knows what it takes to be successful in the NFL.

It's a moot point though.As mentioned above he doesn't appear to have any interest in recruiting and there's never been a sense he even has a little bit of an interest in coaching college ball. He's very likely an NFL lifer.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

I think he’s coming. They’ll figure everything out. His highest salary ever was 7.6M. Just guesstimating he probably has 30-40M banked in different assets. Do a 5/$60M contract and almost double what he already has. Then you’re 61 and be done. That’s tough to turn down from a financial standpoint, even for a guy with big money. Throw in his competitive juices and it’s happening. 

And could leave your son in law in a good position.

10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yeah. if stoops wants to coach college there will be another blue blood opening he can tackle later.  I know he's an Ohio guy but maybe Michigan?

He went to school and played at Iowa and grew up in Ohio. He currently lives in Chicago. He’s not coaching in college again as a head coach. 

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Columbus isn't bad, ohio is a shithole.  But If you have ever lived in Los Angeles for any amount of time, that is basically what austin has become so it depends on what your likes and dislikes are

the germantown area is very nice. columbus is livable of course if you can stand the weather,.  but as people age, they tend to head south away from winter

9 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Fred Akers and David McWilliams still live in Austin along with their extended families as well. A lot of former Longhorns move back to Austin after their NFL careers to start crazy miniscule businesses like making cupcakes. Anything to get back to their favorite town.

CHIEF

2 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

He's a HELL of a coach. I think he's prodigious when it comes to coaching offense. He excels at getting his playmakers the ball in space to make plays. He turned Matt Ryan into an MVP on a historically good Falcons offense.. He made a Super Bowl with Jimmy G. He has an injury decimated 49ers team hanging around in a tough division.

I think what his system does well would translate to college because as I said it's about getting playmakers open and getting them the ball. I think it's the kind of thing that would appeal to high school talent and he clearly knows what it takes to be successful in the NFL.

It's a moot point though.As mentioned above he doesn't appear to have any interest in recruiting and there's never been a sense he even has a little bit of an interest in coaching college ball. He's very likely an NFL lifer.

He's signed through 2025 with a speculated salary of at least $10m/yr. Anyways the NFL coaching experience is far better than CFB because recruiting consumes so much time. 

7 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Pantoni and Marotti will respectively implement a recruiting machine and the Urban Meyer culture in short order.  Those two elements are most responsible for his success as a HC.

I don't keep up with assistants. Were these guys with UM at Florida and Utah, too?

@alincoln

With the alleged 10 million dollar staff budget do you think the following is possible?

do you think Ohio state would match a million plus salary for Marotti? $1,235,000($500k raise)

mark pantoni - $600k(400k raise)

Brian Voltolini - $700k($460k raise) 

which would leave nearly 7.5 million for remaining staff  

Retain chris ash and that’s 6.7 million left  another 700k for his son to be co-oc/QB coach and that’s would be about 6 million remaining 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, CenTex Hill Billy said:

He's signed through 2025 with a speculated salary of at least $10m/yr. Anyways the NFL coaching experience is far better than CFB because recruiting consumes so much time. 

Yeah I'm with you. Like I said, it's highly unlikely. I think he's the first call you make if Urban says no. He'd probably say no, but I'm just outlining why I think his system would do well in college.

17 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Is it because they get to run a chili's franchise that goes belly up when the silent owner moves and coaches for Texas?

If so, we should thrown in a male nursing job for when UM retires. He'll make millions, we have the paystub to prove it.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Fred Akers and David McWilliams still live in Austin along with their extended families as well. A lot of former Longhorns move back to Austin after their NFL careers to start crazy miniscule businesses like making cupcakes. Anything to get back to their favorite town.

CHIEF

The hero off the bench to BEAT Mobilhoma in the 1994 Red River Shootout, and of "Roll Left" fame, QB #5 James Brown, lives here and would regularly call in to Austin's radio sports talk shows to chime in on whatever he felt like opining on.

Edited by BachelorTrek
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

The Saban to Bama story/timeline is a good time kill many need right now.  Sometimes things just have to align and it can happen in strange ways.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/38-days-inside-story-of-how-alabama-hired-nick-saban/

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

I don't keep up with assistants. Were these guys with UM at Florida and Utah, too?

4 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Only with him at Florida and then Ohio from what I've been able to tell from the thread.

Correct.  Look for him to bring his son-in-law Cory Dennis in as QB coach as well.

23 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Thats not really unique to Columbus, or college, or any sport really.  There are still benchwarmers from the '85 Bears living in Chicago and making money off of appearances.  If you were a part of winning you're going to get treated well.

He’s not asking to bring cronies. I do deals and if my CFO doesn’t want to do a deal I likely won’t. Same kinda thing. Plus like someone said above he need someone he already trusts for his health.

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic