Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

19 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

He’s taken those guys everywhere he has gone. They’re very critical to the infrastructure of his program. 

So he's another "hire my buddies" kind of guy? PASS

<sarcasm> just in case it's not clear

Just now, closetojumping said:

The health stuff reads noisy negotiating nonsense, logically, at this point. The Pantoni and Marrotti issues are real. There's also the reality that redlining an agreement is more detail-oriented and time intensive than agreeing to key points and terms. It's banal, but just getting that stuff locked in with the lawyers could take a few days. You don't fire Herman until the pen is ready for the paper, or after the KSU game, whichever comes first. 

I remain in the "Urban Meyer or fuck all of it" crowd. I won't even conjure the notion of the terrible other shit I've heard thrown out. I will say that no one appears to think that Shanahan has any interest whatsoever, so folks should remove him from the theoretical alternative pool. I doubt many were excited at USC when Pete Carroll was hired. My buddies and I fucking laughed about it. So, anything can happen, but nothing sounds right or good right now Urban Meyer. If Texas doesn't land him, I may go actually pull an old hornfans moniker out of the mothballs and start posting under a new handle. 

One "productive" thing one of you assholes could be doing is reading the OSU boards and linking or c&p'ing anything over that implies new fear or chest-beating from mods or insiders when it comes to their staff and UM. I guess being able to discern who knows what and tone-now vs. tone-normal would take a history of lurking or posting on their sites, so maybe that ideas useless too.

What are your thoughts on eric Bienemy being the second choice?  I think he could be possible.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, closetojumping said:

The health stuff reads noisy negotiating nonsense, logically, at this point. The Pantoni and Marrotti issues are real. There's also the reality that redlining an agreement is more detail-oriented and time intensive than agreeing to key points and terms. It's banal, but just getting that stuff locked in with the lawyers could take a few days. You don't fire Herman until the pen is ready for the paper, or after the KSU game, whichever comes first. 

I remain in the "Urban Meyer or fuck all of it" crowd. I won't even conjure the notion of the terrible other shit I've heard thrown out. I will say that no one appears to think that Shanahan has any interest whatsoever, so folks should remove him from the theoretical alternative pool. I doubt many were excited at USC when Pete Carroll was hired. My buddies and I fucking laughed about it. So, anything can happen, but nothing sounds right or good right now Urban Meyer. If Texas doesn't land him, I may go actually pull an old hornfans moniker out of the mothballs and start posting under a new handle. 

One "productive" thing one of you assholes could be doing is reading the OSU boards and linking or c&p'ing anything over that implies new fear or chest-beating from mods or insiders when it comes to their staff and UM. I guess being able to discern who knows what and tone-now vs. tone-normal would take a history of lurking or posting on their sites, so maybe that ideas useless too.

yeah I was coming back to say that I still think the "negotiating" is over and now he's getting his ducks in a row - which could include double checking with his doctor, family, etc. but could also be about making sure he can bring the people that are non-negotiables for him.  He may not take the job on an island but only with his crew or at least the few he feels he has to have.  But that's kind of in the same bucket as the health double check.  due diligence on his side.  not negotiating deal points.  maybe he gets an answer that requires a deal point to be renegotiated but he's likely not leveraging at this point.  But I only come from the angle of negotiating for a living, I have zero inside info.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There's also the reality that redlining an agreement is more detail-oriented and time intensive than agreeing to key points and terms. It's banal, but just getting that stuff locked in with the lawyers could take a few days.

Especially in COVID/post-COVID contracts. The question of "do we have to pay our coach/coaches even if we don't play football games because of pandemic" was probably elided under very broad force majeure language. Betting both sides want that question understood and very explicitly documented. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

Isn’t he flying to wherever the Fox show is? Or is riding a bus Madden style?

He’s definitely flying.  I don’t mean the cyst is 100% the reason he would say no.  I’m saying everyone can save face by blaming the cyst no matter the reason for talks falling apart.  

14 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Johns record at Stanford is very similar to his record at Michigan. Win games lose to rival in conference

Expectations aren't remotely the same, though, and Harbaugh hadn't yet been to a Super Bowl.

Poster at IT -- I'm new there so have no idea whose word to take if anybody's other than Nahlin/Gerry -- says Urban coming if he can get Pantoni to join him in Austin. If he can't, he likely won't. Marotti is not as critical. A new poster there apparently knows Urban and Shelley from Ohio and was mildly surprised -- thought it would be the other way around with those two.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I remain in the "Urban Meyer or fuck all of it" crowd. I won't even conjure the notion of the terrible other shit I've heard thrown out. I will say that no one appears to think that Shanahan has any interest whatsoever, so folks should remove him from the theoretical alternative pool. I doubt many were excited at USC when Pete Carroll was hired. My buddies and I fucking laughed about it. So, anything can happen, but nothing sounds right or good right now besides Urban Meyer. If Texas doesn't land him, I may go actually pull an old hornfans moniker out of the mothballs and start posting under a new handle. 

Everything does seem to point to staff being the last hold up. Hopefully it's not just those 2 but wanting to assemble a staff in general. I'm not optimistic about Pantoni and especially Marrotti, but I am confident he'd be able to live with whoever he landed for position coaches/coordinators. Would suck to lose him over two support staff guys. I obviously don't know the ins and outs of a program but sure seems like a strength coach and recruiting coordinator wouldn't be that big to replace if you're really an elite coach.

Also, very true that legal docs take time. Anyone expecting that to be wrapped up in 24 hours has never dealt with lawyers lol

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Poster at IT -- I'm new there so have no idea whose word to take if anybody's other than Nahlin/Gerry -- says Urban coming if he can get Pantoni to join him in Austin. If he can't, he likely won't. Marotti is not as critical. A new poster there apparently knows Urban and Shelley from Ohio and was mildly surprised -- thought it would be the other way around with those two.

Here We Go Again GIF by memecandy - Find & Share on GIPHY

Burger talk it is. Currently at twin peaks. Views are great, depending on the location you go to. But every burger I’ve ever had here is extremely average to below average. Will report back on this hangover burger, love a burger with an egg on it

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

He’s definitely flying.  I don’t mean the cyst is 100% the reason he would say no.  I’m saying everyone can save face by blaming the cyst no matter the reason for talks falling apart.  

Right, unless he just comes out and says "Texas isn't the right kind of program fit for me, but good luck to anyone taking it", which would be crushing the UT program's soul, I'm guessing health is most likely the reason he'd give, if he said anything publicly. 

One theory around the premise of him not taking the job, which I think is a legitimate consideration if he does say no, is that he thinks USC comes open after next year and that that is the spot he wants to be. I guess I can understand that, but I choose to believe that he'll instead be announced at Texas within the next 7 days and nothing else is worth deeply examining.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

I need an announcement.

An actual announcement.

Very soon.

The universe is 13.5 billion years old, and our solar system is 4.6 billion years old. Homo Sapiens is thought to have been around for 300,000 years. Agriculture has been a thing for 12,000 years and sports for 3,000.

In that context I guess 5 days is “very soon.” See you Sunday. 

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Johns record at Stanford is very similar to his record at Michigan. Win games lose to rival in conference

John didn’t coach at Stanford or Michigan. Jim did. 
Also, Jim beat the ever-living shit out of Pete Carrol at least once, if not more. Cal wasn’t an issue. I don’t recall any issues with rivals while he was at Stanford.

3 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Burger talk it is. Currently at twin peaks. Views are great, depending on the location you go to. But every burger I’ve ever had here is extremely average to below average. Will report back on this hangover burger, love a burger with an egg on it

The Royal at Red Robin is a great burger with fried egg.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I said the situation was fluid.  The fluid in the cyst.  That’s all I got.  

I don't know what type of cyst UM has, but maybe UT can spring for Her to come fix it.  They could livestream as a PPV if we are short on cash.

.e212943799f4ccdbcd1063194afdd190.gif

6 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

One thing I have learned in all of this- my fellow posters on surly have horrible fucking taste in food. If I ever throw a big party to celebrate us hiring Jim Mora or Art Briles at least I know I can literally just dump out a trash can and you guys would be ok with it. No need to go into the wine or whiskey cellar for this crowd. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic