Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

4 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Houston identifier. Don’t say service road either.

And while we are on intra-state nomenclature, what the fuck is up with those north Texas jackoffs calling breakfast tacos breakfast burritos?

I’ve lived in north Texas for most of my life and nobody calls it a burrito.  Maybe a place that serves a supersized one calls it a burrito to differentiate it from their smaller taco offerings, but that’s it.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Houston identifier. Don’t say service road either.

And while we are on intra-state nomenclature, what the fuck is up with those north Texas jackoffs calling breakfast tacos breakfast burritos?

Yep.  Even in Fort Bend County it was always the feeder.  In 1980 on the way to Dallas for OU weekend I kept seeing exit signs for the “Frontage Road’” and I made a comment that it was strange that all these towns keep using the same name for a street.  I caught a lot grief for that one.  

• Haha 3

Breakfast burritos and breakfast tacos are two completely separate things, like regular burritos and tacos.  A burrito is a large tortilla filled with ingredients and rolled shut on the ends.  A taco is a smaller tortilla filled with ingredients and left open.  Is there a regional argument about those definitions?

• Hook 'Em 2

I’ve lived in north Texas for most of my life and nobody calls it a burrito.  Maybe a place that serves a supersized one calls it a burrito to differentiate it from their smaller taco offerings, but that’s it.
Same. Never heard of anyone calling a breakfast taco a burrito.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

Same. Never heard of anyone calling a breakfast taco a burrito.

I mean I have heard it before, but it was from people ho had just moved here from California.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Oh man. That one irrationally pisses me off. Had a coworker that called them that. He had a lot of Okie in his bloodline. 

But - like others have said - never heard that living in Dallas. Maybe it's some stupid Okie shit. 

Edited by ztejas

14 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

You like people shooting at you for going 80mph in a 65mph freeway because that is too slow? You do you.

Much better than doing 35 in a 55 while buried in their cell phone, then flip you off once you pass them on the right.  Austin drivers are worse than the Derrel.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh, are we talking about idot drivers?  I got one that just happened. 

I'm unloading groceries and lil' Stetson got loose (still training).  I'm trying to wrangle him.  I hear a car at high RPM coming around the corner.  I step out and do the slow down (hand high to low) signal.  Driver decides to speed up and go full power to their house TEN HOUSES AWAY!

I wrangle dog, get in my truck and go knock on their door....hard.

I grown man anwers the door.  I say "are you a grown-up?"

He says yes.

Do you drive that car right there?

He says no, that's my step daughter's car.  

Well I'm Elvis and I live right there.

I tell him what happened.

We both agree that teenage drivers are dumb. He'll talk to her about it.

Then he says, "I understand, I probably would have done the same thing."

Then he says, " Actually probably not, I wouldn't have done that, but I understand."

We shake on it.  Settled.  For now.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I’ve taken a lot of Uber rides the past 5 years, and just encountered the worst. driver. ever.

Some young kid in Hyundai SUV. We had a few suitcases and just kinda threw them into the back. Didn’t say a word throughout the ride, didn’t use his turn signal once, start-stop-start-stop, tailgated and slammed on his brakes a few times to avoid an accident.

Once we got to the airport, he just stepped aside for us to get our own bags. Didn’t say a word and just left.

I don’t expect a limo experience, but drivers can get decent tips if they’re remotely nice. Gave him no tip and 1 star.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, Superhero said:

I’ve taken a lot of Uber rides the past 5 years, and just encountered the worst. driver. ever.

Some young kid in Hyundai SUV. We had a few suitcases and just kinda threw them into the back. Didn’t say a word throughout the ride, didn’t use his turn signal once, start-stop-start-stop, tailgated and slammed on his brakes a few times to avoid an accident.

Once we got to the airport, he just stepped aside for us to get our own bags. Didn’t say a word and just left.

I don’t expect a limo experience, but drivers can get decent tips if they’re remotely nice. Gave him no tip and 1 star.

You can probably do something else like report him for unsafe driving or the like. Haven't been on the platform in awhile but there should be dings that are a step up from 1 star.

Obviously depends on how much you want to spend time doing it but it might be a simple click here click there done - dickhead gets an email from support staff. 

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

You can probably do something else like report him for unsafe driving or the like. Haven't been on the platform in awhile but there should be dings that are a step up from 1 star.

Obviously depends on how much you want to spend time doing it but it might be a simple click here click there done - dickhead gets an email from support staff. 

I reported once for a cigarette car. Uber comped the ride. It was an Uber black after a company holiday party, so was about $120. 

You like people shooting at you for going 80mph in a 65mph freeway because that is too slow? You do you.

Much better than doing 35 in a 55 while buried in their cell phone, then flip you off once you pass them on the right.  Austin drivers are worse than the Derrel.

This post sequence is perfect. I learned to drive in Houston, I’ve been in Austin for 30+ years. Give me Houston drivers all day every day.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, nnm said:

I reported once for a cigarette car. Uber comped the ride. It was an Uber black after a company holiday party, so was about $120. 

I’ve complained once.  I was taking an Uber from Fair Park to Lakewood after the blowu game.  The guy damn near drove to Oak Cliff before turning around and heading in the right direction.  Full refund >$100.  Happened pretty quickly.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2023 at 2:15 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Good one.

Lived in Houston metro for 15 years and spent a very significant amount of time on the roads, at the tune of about 35k miles/ year work specific.  If I ever got shot at, they didn't hit me.  LMAO.

i don't miss hurricanes and I don't miss humidity.  I do miss great restaurant choices and massage parlors on every block( I kid.) Traffic did suck if you didn't plan for it.

Edited by slorch

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I’ve only met one person like this, but people who think it’s a badge of honor to let their phone battery drain almost to zero before recharging. Wtf?

I get nervous when getting below 50% on the phone, but I'll be damned if I'm going to fill up the gas tank on the truck until it's under 50 miles to E.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

I get nervous when getting below 50% on the phone, but I'll be damned if I'm going to fill up the gas tank on the truck until it's under 50 miles to E.

Agree. I feel with the car you have much more control and also much less chance of being in a situation where you are unable to get gas. 

1 hour ago, PvilleStang said:

I'll be damned if I'm going to fill up the gas tank on the truck until it's under 50 miles to E.

You are a bad person and your fuel pump hates you. Car fuel pumps are immersed in fuel in the tank, the fuel keeps them cool. By running the tank too low you remove that cooling immersion and they run hotter, shortening their lifespan. Never run your tank under 1/4 if you can help it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Chevy fuel pumps, senders, and gauges have caused me a lot of grief.  I thought my truck had a bad problem when it died.  Turned out I was out of gas but showing a quarter tank. When my son inherits my 07 Avalanche in a year or two, he’ll probably learn the same lesson if he runs it below a quarter. 

I never thought about the cooling aspect of the fuel for the pump. Makes sense and good Surly knowledge nugget. 

4 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

You are a bad person and your fuel pump hates you. Car fuel pumps are immersed in fuel in the tank, the fuel keeps them cool. By running the tank too low you remove that cooling immersion and they run hotter, shortening their lifespan. Never run your tank under 1/4 if you can help it.

Good to know. I’m guilty of running on fumes more often than not.

But then again, I’m in a company vehicle that I keep until it hits 150,000 miles. At the rate I’m driving, I’ll have it for another 11 years. Maybe I DO want to run my tank dry.

I’m sitting in Discount Tire. A month ago I bought 4 new tires and ever since I get a little shake at 80+ mph. Kid that mounted the tires obviously didn’t balance them well. 
Guy just came in from the garage. Said they were going to take care of the shake. Was also holding two lug nuts. Told me that Ford makes 2-piece lug nuts and the outer chrome part tends to swell up over time and eventually I won’t be able to change the tire. 
The solution, of course, is to buy all-new lug nuts for all 4 wheels from Discount Tire. 
W. T. F. ?!?!?!?

Edited by nnm
  • Rage+1 1

19 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Just stopped to fill up. Taking my tank down this much means that I maximize my per-gallon savings at Brookshire’s. You build up points by spending on groceries. Once you use the discount, it’s gone until you build the points back up. 
Today I got a 20 cent/gallon discount. On the 30-gallon limit, that means I saved $6.

Plus my F150 has a 36 gallon tank. Even though it is telling me that I had only 10 miles to empty (less than a gallon in the tank), it only took 32.5 gallons at the pump. Meaning that I had a reserve of 3.5 gallons, or ~63 miles left (at a conservative 18 mpg).

IMG_1949.thumb.jpeg.8aec263ace67a0ed9e70aa9d33757062.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PvilleStang said:

Well, did you get off from him fondling your nuts?

Man, I’m still recovering from a severe prostate infection (see Getting Old Sucks thread). I don’t want anyone near my nuts. 

I've spent now 3 Kafka'esque months spiraling through Dante's circus of corporate hell trying to get.... a purchase of $50 software installed on my work laptop using the 'official procedures'. 

It involves traipsing through how ever many countless procedures and processes and different internal 'applications' and emailing different teams and people.  This has been a goddamn nightmare.

I've experienced it before.  So I'm not surprised... just disappointed.

• Like 2