Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

1. Their species is invincible against mathematics
2. My wife thinks if I shut off the house heating/cooling for 1 month, it will cost more to bring it back to regular temp, than keeping it at that temp for 30 days with the house empty...

I may be married to your wife. My husband has HVAC comprehension issues and his Dad owns an HVAC company.

He also believes that turning the emergency heat on the heat pump is a good idea if it’s below freezing outside. Our fucking bill went through the roof before I was able to put a stop to it.
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Gonna be pedant here. If the drop-down selection asks for nationality, the answer is ‘american’. 

if it asks for residence, then ‘united states’ is correct

IMG_4264.jpeg.aeb59541da68a6d5bb9909ce16cf1b9d.jpeg

You are technically correct, and I tip my hat to you.

The other annoying thing is when you have to scroll all the way to the U countries to get to United States, instead of having that at the top.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

All the government issued paperwork I've ever received has stated my nationality is "United States."  I have a few that say "American Citizen."  But the nation is called "The United States", as is my residence and country of origin.  When I've traveled abroad on government work, I've never declared, "I am an American", I've said, "U.S. Citizen" or "From the United States."  I dunno for sure though 'cause I said something wrong once, blacked out, and ended up in a Turkish prison for a few months with Randy Quaid.  Shit got weird.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

my tv needs to do updates and some sort of anti-burn-in maintenance.  but it only prompts when you turn it on, with no option to delay it until turning the set off.  wth?  i turn on the tv when i want to watch something right then, not 10 minutes later.

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

a little annoyed its impossible to find a specific charger while market is flooded with a billion usb chargers.

want: 2+ USBC ports, 2+ USBA ports, 45w+ rating, uses power cable (so it can sit away from the wall), and from non-shit brand. 

why doesnt someone like belkin make it? i have something similar from anker and monoprice and theyre both failing and both of them make wallwarts almost exclusively. and amazon has a million fake ass “Sponsored” chinese listings and you cant filter out of them. 

• Rage+1 2

17 hours ago, nnm said:

You are technically correct, and I tip my hat to you.

The other annoying thing is when you have to scroll all the way to the U countries to get to United States, instead of having that at the top.  

This.

There's no fucking reason for Afghanistan to be the first option in a pull down.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

a little annoyed its impossible to find a specific charger while market is flooded with a billion usb chargers.

want: 2+ USBC ports, 2+ USBA ports, 45w+ rating, uses power cable (so it can sit away from the wall), and from non-shit brand. 

why doesnt someone like belkin make it? i have something similar from anker and monoprice and theyre both failing and both of them make wallwarts almost exclusively. and amazon has a million fake ass “Sponsored” chinese listings and you cant filter out of them. 

Instead of a power cable use a short extension cord. I have a 3 foot one run into the drawer through the back of the nightstand for the charger

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Paco said:
21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:
If this doesn't make you a champion, then nothing does.....
1888541305.jpg

I want to argue with you. But mayo.

Also, last night, when this happened -- and I made sure to cue it up on the DVR to show the awesomeness of the pure America of it to my wife -- I also commented that if I was ever the winning coach of the Dukes Mayo Bowl....I'd have them hold off on the mayo pour while I added a shitload of garlic and about a gallon of Crystal sauce, because a spicy garlic mayo is where it's at.  And if I'm gonna wear it, it's gonna be the good stuff.

36 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Instead of a power cable use a short extension cord. I have a 3 foot one run into the drawer through the back of the nightstand for the charger

Thats a good idea. I prefer the figure8 connection because I already have a bunch of compact spare US/EU cords i can interchange when traveling. 

In Jersey visiting  family and I made a beer run to replenish booze that has been consumed.  Stopped by 7-11 to toppoff the vehicle with gas. Park and start to get out.  Dude damned near runs over me.

Holy furk.  I forgot about the helpless motherfuckers in New Jersey who can’t pump gas. 

So fucking dumb.  Then I  have some yokel fiddling with my gas cap and touching bank card for no reason.

and fuck their stupid straw policy also.  Gotta ask the cashier for a straw when you buy a fountain drink.  Again,dumb as fuck.

Weird-ass dietary requirements. Look, I can cook around actual allergies and religious requirements. If you’re vegan or vegetarian I can respect that and will make sure you’re fed and don’t feel like you’re an afterthought. 

But my wife has friends coming over tonight and that was cool, I said I’d do fajitas.  Then as I’m going to the store— “her husband and kids only eat chicken and seafood.” Fuck, just stay at home with those requirements. That’s just making other people cook what you want.  I cannot imagine my dad telling people we are going to visit to cook around my tastebuds like that. 

Pollo asado it will be but I’m not making bacon free beans that I won’t want to eat for the next few days. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

lol, that’s what the wife texted my wife. “If 956 is making ‘beef fajitas’ then John Doe and the boys will bring their own food.”  GTFO, that’s even ruder than asking me to cook what you want. 

About ten years back was the worse, again my wife invited over a couple and their baby we had met in a different city. They just showed up with some raw ingredients and asked to use our kitchen to make their own meal. I nearly booted them out of the house right there. WTF is wrong with people?

• Like 3

Yeah…we had an annoying experience the other night when we had some Jewish friends over. The “we don’t eat pork or shellfish” thing is of course no problem, I’ve always been happy to accommodate that religious requirement - I made chicken and dumplings. They also brought one of their sons who is vegetarian - again, no problem, I had a portion of some roasted veggies with rajas and a good red chile sauce. But their youngest son has now apparently gone SUPERJEW. He won’t eat ANY meat not shechita slaughtered (and nobody shared this with us beforehand). So, the chicken and dumplings I had for him? Nope. And I only had one serving of the veggies. So, we had to scramble and find something else for him to eat. Sorry, that was rude.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah…we had an annoying experience the other night when we had some Jewish friends over. The “we don’t eat pork or shellfish” thing is of course no problem, I’ve always been happy to accommodate that religious requirement - I made chicken and dumplings. They also brought one of their sons who is vegetarian - again, no problem, I had a portion of some roasted veggies with rajas and a good red chile sauce. But their youngest son has now apparently gone SUPERJEW. He won’t eat ANY meat not shechita slaughtered (and nobody shared this with us beforehand). So, the chicken and dumplings I had for him? Nope. And I only had one serving of the veggies. So, we had to scramble and find something else for him to eat. Sorry, that was rude.

There is a statute of limitations, and it’s best to just say what your deal is when you accept an invite. For sure if it’s really involved. “We’d like to come to dinner. We’ve been cutting way down on red meat, is that OK?” lands much better than “we don’t eat anything but chicken and seafood” on the day of.

Its a pretty safe bet that by day of, your host has put planning and money into the meal and it’s a dick move to say “oh, we don’t eat most stuff.” 

• Like 2

On 12/28/2023 at 2:16 PM, slorch said:

and fuck their stupid straw policy also.  Gotta ask the cashier for a straw when you buy a fountain drink.  Again,dumb as fuck.

counterpoint: the mess made at the self service station by messy fucking people who a) can't figure out how to get just one straw out of the dispenser and so there's a bunch scattered around which are now trash; b) can't get the wrappers into the trash properly either

Yeah, I co-sign with condemnation of pig-sty behavior in public. The straw thing does not solve for spills and cluttered lids that still happen, however.  Not sure I’ve ever heard/ read a correlation between the straw policy snd cleaner stores. 

Writing a check in Sam's in 2023/2024..What the fuck are you doing, old ass lady?

Using anything but the scan and pay app on your phone in Sam’s is just a waste. I haven’t been to the checkout line in years.

Christmas Eve day I walked in, grabbed a nice trimmed beef tenderloin, scanned, paid, flashed the QR code to the door monitor, and was back in the truck inside of 5 minutes total.
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

On 12/30/2023 at 10:12 AM, Brisketexan said:

Here's some fucking corn flakes.  or don't eat motherfucker.

The dietary trump cards make me fucking tired.

Yeah, be respectful, but if you don't want to eat?  Don't  eat.  This isn't your personal fucking circus trick.

Edited by slorch

On 12/28/2023 at 3:16 PM, slorch said:

In Jersey visiting  family and I made a beer run to replenish booze that has been consumed.  Stopped by 7-11 to toppoff the vehicle with gas. Park and start to get out.  Dude damned near runs over me.

Holy furk.  I forgot about the helpless motherfuckers in New Jersey who can’t pump gas. 

So fucking dumb.  Then I  have some yokel fiddling with my gas cap and touching bank card for no reason.

Counterpoint:

1. Gas station attendants are the best thing ever.  I love not dealing with that when it's 12 degrees or 97 degrees.

2. NJ cares about the environment.  Guess what: no plastic bags, either.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Counterpoint:

1. Gas station attendants are the best thing ever.  I love not dealing with that when it's 12 degrees or 97 degrees.

2. NJ cares about the environment.  Guess what: no plastic bags, either.

1. No they aren't.  I don't need some rando fucking with my vehicle or my bank card/ charge card.  NJ is 1 of 50 who does this and it's , not about customer convenience.

2. The straws behind the counter have fuck all to do with the environment.  LO-Fucking-L.  They are the exact same plastic straws in plastic wrappers.  People love so much shit that sounds good and doesn't make a bit of difference.

Edited by slorch

On 12/30/2023 at 10:12 AM, Brisketexan said:

Just be happy the kid didn’t take it to this level.
AE5A8C58-D54C-40A7-931B-D309D9979772.gif.268022603022645c2381277bd1128641.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/28/2023 at 12:09 PM, Vic Mackey said:
On 12/28/2023 at 10:19 AM, Bullneck said:
This.
There's no fucking reason for Afghanistan to be the first option in a pull down.

Yep I've mentioned this a few weeks back. United States needs to always be at the top along with some other countries.

Kinda like on ESPN, when you're looking at football score. There is a drop down (usually defaulted to the top 25) so you can select what conference scores you want see. But it has all the conferences listed. Put the Power 5 at the top!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, nnm said:

GCzDTSaaQAAC_5K?format=jpg&name=small

People who print things make me surly. Take a screenshot, save it as a pdf, etc.  I’m shorting HP stock when my dad dies, because their printer cartridge division is going to see a serious dip in sales the following quarter.

• Haha 2

It is fascinating that somehow, despite the vast, vast majority of Americans printing far less/fewer things out the last several years...that the price of printer cartridges/toner completely flies in the face of supply/demand capitalism.  Same with printer paper.  Both commercial and private use of toner and paper are way, way down.  And yet the prices of ink and bulk paper remain level, or even get higher.  And don't give me the inflation bullshit, this has been going on for years.  A solid decade of paper and ink decline and yet their pricing cartel remains in tact, even getting stronger (despite office supply stores folding one after another).  It's fucking weird is all.  

On the subject of soda fountains/coffee stations.  Covid taught us nothing.  Families will stand four abreast at the soda fountain taking their sweet time pouring their sodas, taking a big sip, and then topping them off, slowly putting on lids, unwrapping straws while the kids touch everything they can see in the dispensary area.  Mom looks at the all the tea sweeteners like it's the first time she's seen colored packets.  Kids decide it's too much ice so they dump some out and start over.  What in the fucking fuck?  Stop touching everything.  You approach sideways/perpendicular.  Quick shot of ice, quick dispensing of beverage.  Go set it down.  Then come back and grab anything else you might need, also sideways, like lemon or straw or whatever.  Plus, if you're dining in...be a fucking adult and just sit out of the cup.  Lids and straws are for sippy cups and commuters.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 12/26/2023 at 8:36 PM, MrBig said:

People who use the term “how come” instead of saying “why” when they ask a question. The second I hear someone say it, I can’t help but think they went to aggy or OU because it sounds so fucking stupid and unintelligent. 

802f22e9-acd3-4b01-a865-47dc7408aa27_tex

On 12/28/2023 at 12:09 PM, Vic Mackey said:
On 12/28/2023 at 10:19 AM, Bullneck said:
This.

Yep I've mentioned this a few weeks back. United States needs to always be at the top along with some other countries.

Shouldn't it be by population?  Most to least?

On 12/26/2023 at 8:36 PM, MrBig said:

People who use the term “how come” instead of saying “why” when they ask a question. The second I hear someone say it, I can’t help but think they went to aggy or OU because it sounds so fucking stupid and unintelligent. 

Wherefore do you think so?

Why in the motherfuck do different applications on my phone have different volume settings?  If I turn the volume off when I’m on my browser, why is it not assumed that I want the volume off for the rest of the phone?

For example, I turned it off whilst on surly, but then clicked on a Twitter video in surly and shit goes full blast. 

I won’t even mention that private browser mode and regular browser mode have the same issue. 

Should this go in dumb question amnesty?

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 2