Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

For example, I turned it off whilst on surly, but then clicked on a Twitter video in surly and shit goes full blast. 

I won’t even mention that private browser mode and regular browser mode have the same issue. 

Yes, i always have issues with private browser mode for watching videos….”on surly”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Why in the motherfuck do different applications on my phone have different volume settings?  If I turn the volume off when I’m on my browser, why is it not assumed that I want the volume off for the rest of the phone?
For example, I turned it off whilst on surly, but then clicked on a Twitter video in surly and shit goes full blast. 

I won’t even mention that private browser mode and regular browser mode have the same issue. 

Should this go in dumb question amnesty?

Annoying af

17 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Why in the motherfuck do different applications on my phone have different volume settings?  If I turn the volume off when I’m on my browser, why is it not assumed that I want the volume off for the rest of the phone?

My iPhone doesn’t work like that. There’s one volume setting for everything. 

People who print things make me surly. Take a screenshot, save it as a pdf, etc.  I’m shorting HP stock when my dad dies, because their printer cartridge division is going to see a serious dip in sales the following quarter.

lol the market didn’t even flinch when my dad died and quit printing out recipes.

It’s been years since I bought cartridges, I have the HP smart subscription. $6/month in perpetuity and they send me refills when my printer tells them to.

On 12/30/2023 at 10:22 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

There is a statute of limitations, and it’s best to just say what your deal is when you accept an invite. For sure if it’s really involved. “We’d like to come to dinner. We’ve been cutting way down on red meat, is that OK?” lands much better than “we don’t eat anything but chicken and seafood” on the day of.

Its a pretty safe bet that by day of, your host has put planning and money into the meal and it’s a dick move to say “oh, we don’t eat most stuff.” 

Should have told the little bastard to starve.

18 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Why separate setting, why?

• Rage+1 1

Well, if you'd listened to me...you'd be polishing that gold medal from Barcelona, biff.  Now you're just some confused, no-medal having clown from the 70's in the AppleStore asking for rudimentary assistance.  Don't get me started on your AM/PM settings.  What is this, amateur hour?  

Fun fact because I'm dumb.  IRL, not even doing the bit from Kramer from the Merv Griffin show, I was in El Paso on business about 20 years ago.  I think I was still on my first cell phone.  Took a client out for dinner and drinks.  And then we had to meet the next morning for paperwork.  I set my clock for 7pm, not 7am.  I overslept by two hours.  Thankfully, he overslept by even more.  While waiting for my flight that evening, I set my laptop and phone to 24hr time, the rest of the world keeps it.  So that even in a drunken stupor, I'd look and say, "Well, waking up at 1900 makes no fucking sense."  Saved me ever since, knock on wood.  But I'd still like to think there's a guy in the basement hotel staring at a big clock hoping I'll fuck up.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 7:35 PM, YGIFS said:

Well, if you'd listened to me...you'd be polishing that gold medal from Barcelona, biff.  Now you're just some confused, no-medal having clown from the 70's in the AppleStore asking for rudimentary assistance.  Don't get me started on your AM/PM settings.  What is this, amateur hour?  

Fun fact because I'm dumb.  IRL, not even doing the bit from Kramer from the Merv Griffin show, I was in El Paso on business about 20 years ago.  I think I was still on my first cell phone.  Took a client out for dinner and drinks.  And then we had to meet the next morning for paperwork.  I set my clock for 7pm, not 7am.  I overslept by two hours.  Thankfully, he overslept by even more.  While waiting for my flight that evening, I set my laptop and phone to 24hr time, the rest of the world keeps it.  So that even in a drunken stupor, I'd look and say, "Well, waking up at 1900 makes no fucking sense."  Saved me ever since, knock on wood.  But I'd still like to think there's a guy in the basement hotel staring at a big clock hoping I'll fuck up.  

24 hour time on all devices. This is the way. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yesterday I was presenting to a class full of teachers.  As far as the teaching profession goes, it's quite common to leave candy out at the table or desks.  So, I put three bags of candy on the sign-in table.  Just as I'm about to speak, this random woman comes up holding the bag of Almond Joys.  

Me: Is everything ok?

Her:  I'm allergic to almonds.

Me - knowing full well I can't go Surly on this chick: Oh, ok.  I'll just put the bag over here.

I mean, seriously?  If it means that much to you, don't touch the fucking candy.  Or, better yet, don't pick up the fucking bag and bring it to me.  I'm honestly not sure what moving the bag about 5 feet did for this chick.  My son also has a tree nut allergy, so this isn't a rant against folks with allergies. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, nnm said:

Target rich environment. 

Correct.  I did 6 trainings.  In addition to what I've already mentioned, I also had to deal with one teacher that swore my picture of a lengua taco wasn't lengua because it wasn't barbacoa.  I responded by stating that I just did a search for "lengua tacos" and did not check my source once the pic was found.  That actually cracked up the rest of the group.  I had another that went to one of the AI sites that I mentioned, but couldn't get it to work.  Granted 30 other teachers were on the exact same site w/o an issue, so it had to be something with her laptop.  I'm not saying this was the issue, but she had a bunch of silly stuff added to her laptop - oversized cursor that was about 3 inches in length, butterflies popping up when you press a button, etc...  It's not that I don't want to help.  It's just... Look around you.  If 30 computers are working and your computer is not working, it's probably something with your computer.  The way she spoke, it was if I sent her to a sketchy Surly link from "I'd pee in her butt".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Yesterday I was presenting to a class full of teachers.  As far as the teaching profession goes, it's quite common to leave candy out at the table or desks.  So, I put three bags of candy on the sign-in table.  Just as I'm about to speak, this random woman comes up holding the bag of Almond Joys.  

Me: Is everything ok?

Her:  I'm allergic to almonds.

Me - knowing full well I can't go Surly on this chick: Oh, ok.  I'll just put the bag over here.

I mean, seriously?  If it means that much to you, don't touch the fucking candy.  Or, better yet, don't pick up the fucking bag and bring it to me.  I'm honestly not sure what moving the bag about 5 feet did for this chick.  My son also has a tree nut allergy, so this isn't a rant against folks with allergies. 

I was unaware nut allergies traveled through packaging. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bright, non-dimmable bathroom lights. 

When im a guest at hotel or other peoples houses…taking a piss at 3am is like walking straight into the core of the sun. 

At the hotel just piss in the dark and hope for the best. And always leave a tip for whoever has to clean that bathroom floor.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

5 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

At the hotel just piss in the dark and hope for the best. And always leave a tip for whoever has to clean that bathroom floor.

This is how I imagine most Okies live life...  But at least you go above and beyond and tip.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Underdog said:

Pack a night light, we never leave home without it. 

This. I put one in all of our bathrooms at home so we can all take care of our business (whether that's sleeping or otherwise) without disturbing others. Plus, there's nothing like jamming my pinky toe on the footboard to wake up the entire household while I fall to the ground with a thud whimpering. Dang, that hurts way more than it should considering one of my babies weighed almost nine pounds.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

The amount of Buccees billboards. And they start like 80 miles away and are seemingly there every mile. With them building the one in Hillsboro, I'll see them the entire way down 35 pretty much to Temple.

well gotta hire Aggy engineers to do something.

People who use the reflexive when it’s not correct. 

At a conference and the woman giving admin information kept doing it:

”If you have any questions just direct them to myself.” 

“ME! Direct them to “me.” Learn to diagram a damn sentence. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

34 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Whom would say such a thing?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

my equivalent pet peeve of that vein is the odd diction in service employees: "what's a good name for that order?"  

i don't know.  simon?  joseph is a classic.  how about something a little more modern like ashton?   oh, you mean what is my name.

My go-to at Starbucks (on the two times a year I frequent one) is "Maxx.  With two Xs."  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

my equivalent pet peeve of that vein is the odd diction in service employees: "what's a good name for that order?"  

i don't know.  simon?  joseph is a classic.  how about something a little more modern like ashton?   oh, you mean what is my name.

On the flip side, I ordered a coffee at a place a few days ago and said “thank you.”  The barista, instead of the usual “no problem” dropped me a “you’re welcome.” 

I was so taken aback and pleasantly surprised at her social graces that I actually left 20 percent tip on the little iPad. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 1/7/2024 at 11:15 PM, 52-80 said:

Bright, non-dimmable bathroom lights. 

When im a guest at hotel or other peoples houses…taking a piss at 3am is like walking straight into the core of the sun. 

So piss the bed. It's not like it's yours anyway. 

On 1/3/2024 at 9:53 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Heck I prefer volume controls that way. There's times I want the ringer on, but don't want to deal with texts and other various alert, or vice versa,or any combination of such.

My wife has 7 or 8 different shampoo bottles in the shower & probably 5 or 6 of them have less than 1% of product in them.

Take off the cap, run some water in there, use the dregs & recycle the bottle.

Done.

ButNoooo.Belushi.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/9/2024 at 1:24 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

austin-powers-allow-me.gif

• Like 4

On 1/9/2024 at 2:09 PM, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I'm often tempted to give them a nonsense word - plorp, flerge, gunt, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

My wife has 7 or 8 different shampoo bottles in the shower & probably 5 or 6 of them have less than 1% of product in them.

Take off the cap, run some water in there, use the dregs & recycle the bottle.

Done.

ButNoooo.Belushi.gif

Same here except all of them are damned near full.

• Like 1

Refusing to scroll through 357 pages but I know this was covered before:

people who talk/scroll/whatever on their phone and/or have zero awareness while entering highway on ramps. The purpose of the on ramp is to merge traffic safely with the traffic currently on the highway. That means paying attention to THAT traffic and its progress, whether 75/80 mph or crawling due to who knows what--probably some idiot like them on a further down the road on ramp who, in the same soporific state of stupidity, think that going 35 mph is somehow going to miraculously create a smooth merging experience for all. Makes me surly every time and today was no exception. And no, I am not driving while I type this.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1