Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

28 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

People that tailgate my car at inappropriate areas ie school zones, the grocery store, etc.  

related to the above, people that are mean tot he cross guard when she tells them they’re illegal turn fucks up traffic

My BIL, a retired attorney, is volunteering as a crossing guard at his neighborhood elementary in ABQ. He’s got some stories. People suck. 

2 hours ago, nnm said:

My BIL, a retired attorney, is volunteering as a crossing guard at his neighborhood elementary in ABQ. He’s got some stories. People suck. 

Yep. And I live in a reasonably nice area in SoCal.  These aren’t hood rats harassing the lady, white collar bros and soccer moms.  

thankfully most of us love her to the point where we get her presents for Christmas 

• Rage+1 1

22 hours ago, Superhero said:

Agree with this. 90% of the time I don't need plastic utensils, and they just end up in a bag (because we can't bring ourselves to toss them). I'd prefer they don't include it unless I specifically ask for it.

Counter-point.  I think Asian restaurants need to include chopsticks by default.  If we don't use them, we definitely save them and the kids will use them the next time we get Asian, for nothing else than pretending they're guns or swords.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

Counter-point.  I think Asian restaurants need to include chopsticks by default. 

Yeh. To make the whitefolk feel catered to. Cuz they know asian folk have their own permanent chopsticks at home. 

14 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

I definitely don't need more chopsticks. And pretending they're guns or swords growing up as an Asian only happens once, then you get your ass beat and quickly learn never to do that.

They're 3 and 5 years old, and HAVE to use chopsticks anytime Mom and Dad use them.  Usually just them stabbing their food with one stick after trying to learn to use them for 10 minutes.

I bought a pair of sweatpants/joggers on the Nike app and when they arrived, I found they only have one front pocket. I double checked the pics in the app and it's not a manufacturing error. Who the fuck thinks that pants have "too much" storage, that you need to remove one of the front pockets??? There is a zippered pocket that runs down the side of the leg that you can use for your wallet or phone but it won't work if you want to put your hand in your pocket. Or don't want to have to unzip your pocket just to get your phone out. What a fucking stupid design decision.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 3

4 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I bought a pair of sweatpants/joggers on the Nike app and when they arrived, I found they only have one front pocket. I double checked the pics in the app and it's not a manufacturing error. Who the fuck thinks that pants have "too much" storage, that you need to remove one of the front pockets??? There is a zippered pocket that runs down the side of the leg that you can use for your wallet or phone but it won't work if you want to put your hand in your pocket. Or don't want to have to unzip your pocket just to get your phone out. What a fucking stupid design decision.

we all have to suffer for fashion 

9 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I too, have suffered with sweats with just one back pocket. I am left handed so often times the single back pocket is on the wrong side.

52 minutes ago, Sandman said:

You bought ladies pants.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Yeh. To make the whitefolk feel catered to. Cuz they know asian folk have their own permanent chopsticks at home. 

We have chopsticks at home. But I prefer to eat with a folk or spoon.

2 hours ago, PvilleStang said:

Counter-point.  I think Asian restaurants need to include chopsticks by default.  If we don't use them, we definitely save them and the kids will use them the next time we get Asian, for nothing else than pretending they're guns or swords.

Or use them as dowels when I'm fixing cabinets. Or stakes when I'm designing my curvy flower beds. Or kindling. Or arrows when we make a mini-bow.

Lots of uses for those cheap chopsticks. We just don't use them to eat.

Had a package coming from UPS that I had to sign for. Checked tracking this morning before I left for work and it said out for delivery. Will be here by 7pm. 

Well fuck. Ok, wife is off work so she will be there all day. I get off early and I forgot, so we go out for a happy hour drink.  I remember right when we get our beer so ok, let’s finish this and get back home. Surely he won’t show during this half hour window right?

WRONG!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Biff Tannen
Oh and insult to injury - I told the guy on my Ring that I was sorry I wasn’t there and he said “IM LEAVING” and stormed off
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

49 minutes ago, luke duke said:

6ab0c0c0b9addd8750dce0827c1bf0ff.jpg

Worse than that is a pine tree sap drip. I got one on my windshield the other day and had to get out a razor scraper and WD40 to get it all the way off. 

• Rage+1 2

5 hours ago, Sandman said:

5 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

we all have to suffer for fashion 

Fucking yuppie problems...

• Haha 2

Language misuse. 

I can’t tell you how many times there has been a story of a horrible massacre or slaughter, and comments on this very site will say, “…and they DECIMATED the village…”

No. “Decimate” has a specific meaning- 10% of the populace were killed (word came from a Roman practice). If more than 10% were killed, “decimate” doesn’t work. Jewish populations in Poland were not decimated; it was much worse. 

Then, there is the use of SAGA to basically mean “epic story”. No, a “saga” is an epic story that has an oral tradition. It’s a narrative, meaning, a narrator is a key component. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, statsman said:

Language misuse. 

I can’t tell you how many times there has been a story of a horrible massacre or slaughter, and comments on this very site will say, “…and they DECIMATED the village…”

No. “Decimate” has a specific meaning- 10% of the populace were killed (word came from a Roman practice). If more than 10% were killed, “decimate” doesn’t work. 

Then, there is the use of SAGA to basically mean “epic story”. No, a “saga” is an epic story that has an oral tradition. It’s a narrative, meaning, a narrator is a key component. 

Literally. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, statsman said:

Language misuse. 

No. “Decimate” has a specific meaning- 10% of the populace were killed (word came from a Roman practice). If more than 10% were killed, “decimate” doesn’t work. Jewish populations in Poland were not decimated; it was much worse. 

you're talking about the origins of decimate, not its current meaning.  that's no more misuse than being mad that someone is calling something a hamburger even though it wasn't made in hamburg.

Language misuse. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, statsman said:

Language misuse. 

stats man just centimated the argument

My kid likes to smear his greasy and yogurt (and god knows what else) stained hands all over the remote controllers in the house, and eventually the clicky button goes sticky and dull. 

Some of these remotes I can disassemble and clean but the others (like AppleTV) is impossible

• Rage+1 1

On 2/2/2024 at 8:07 AM, closetohumping said:

I’m not sure you all will agree with this:

1 guy trying to make a turn from the wrong lane, impeding traffic.  Sorry dude it was your fuck up not mine.  
2 related to #1.  Intentionally going in the wrong lane only to cut in to the lane you need to be in.  

Why would anyone disagree on either of these?  Both bullshit moves.

Go to cash a check at my bank( national chain.)  I produce Drivers License and have already written endorsement & my account number on back of check.

Hand them to teller and tell her I need it cashed.

" Please insert your debit card and enter your pin.  There may be fees associated with this transaction."

"For a $75 check on an account in use since 1989?  Just cash the check.  You have everything you need."

Manager gives her the nod to do it.  Why?  Why the fuck are the extra steps even needed, and why can't people have any awareness?  MUST STICK TO SCRIPT!!!

I'm just gonna start burying my money in the back yard.

Edited by slorch

If you’re crawling along while the light ahead of us is green, you’re damn right I’ll pass your ass in the left or right turn lane as long as they’re clear of traffic. My rule is don’t force anyone else to step on their brakes or impede their right of way. As long as I’m not doing either of those things, what do you care?

I dropped off a package at the UPS store. As I was walking towards the door, I see a small woman approaching, carrying a large box. She has a child following behind her, also carrying a box. They were a good 30 feet away as I exited the store, so I waited and held the door open so both could enter. Not only does she refuse to acknowledge what I did, she had a look of distain on her face, like "Ugh, this asshole!". Now, I'm not asking for her to get teared up and act like I just saved her from a rapist, but you can't even mutter a simple "Thanks" ? What a bitch.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

16 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

If you’re crawling along while the light ahead of us is green, you’re damn right I’ll pass your ass in the left or right turn lane as long as they’re clear of traffic. My rule is don’t force anyone else to step on their brakes or impede their right of way. As long as I’m not doing either of those things, what do you care?

Are you referencing my post specifically or just general traffic etiquette ?

7 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I dropped off a package at the UPS store. As I was walking towards the door, I see a small woman approaching, carrying a large box. She has a child following behind her, also carrying a box. They were a good 30 feet away as I exited the store, so I waited and held the door open so both could enter. Not only does she refuse to acknowledge what I did, she had a look of distain on her face, like "Ugh, this asshole!". Now, I'm not asking for her to get teared up and act like I just saved her from a rapist, but you can't even mutter a simple "Thanks" ? What a bitch.

Where do you live ?   Here in California people rarely wave when I let them in my lane

2 hours ago, slorch said:

Go to cash a check at my bank( national chain.)  I produce Drivers License and have already written endorsement & my account number on back of check.

Hand them to teller and tell her I need it cashed.

" Please insert your debit card and enter your pin.  There may be fees associated with this transaction."

"For a $75 check on an account in use since 1989?  Just cash the check.  You have everything you need."

Manager gives her the nod to do it.  Why?  Why the fuck are the extra steps even needed, and why can't people have any awareness?  MUST STICK TO SCRIPT!!!

I'm just gonna start burying my money in the back yard.

I used to swear by local banks.  Local relationships, etc.  But my career was international.  And local banks aren't set up to deal with international issues.  One time I was in London on a Saturday and needed a few pounds to buy lunch.  Credit, debit, and atm card is locked down because I didn't call them to tell them I was I abroad.  All I wanted was a freaking sandwich.  

As soon as I got back I switched my main banking to USAA.  Zero issues with international travel because they're set up for the military.  They don't have any local branches (except for San Antonio), but that's no problem.  I make all my deposits by the mobile app and use any ATM.  

I have a few thousand in a local bank, and a relationship with the local bank management, but for 99% of banking issues, I don't need that account.  

On 2/2/2024 at 8:07 AM, closetohumping said:

I’m not sure you all will agree with this:

1 guy trying to make a turn from the wrong lane, impeding traffic.  Sorry dude it was your fuck up not mine.  
2 related to #1.  Intentionally going in the wrong lane only to cut in to the lane you need to be in.  

or the guy who decides to u-turn under a freeway not by going through the actual u-turn lane, but by going through the traffic lights.  which aren't set up for that, so he has to stop at the red underneath the freeway.  but not in the left-only lane. no, this dumbass decides to sit in the left/straight lane, staring at a green for straight traffic.  dick.

On 2/1/2024 at 8:06 AM, statsman said:

Language misuse. 

tragic to describe anything bad happening.  'he died tragically'  did he kill himself because he realized he killed his father and sexed his mother?  no, it was just a run of the mill car wreck.  that's not tragic. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

tragic to describe anything bad happening.  'he died tragically'  did he kill himself because he realized he killed his father and sexed his mother?  no, it was just a run of the mill car wreck.  that's not tragic. 

I feel the same way when someone says "brutal murder" or "brutal rape". Unless you were drugged or drunk, that rape will haunt you forever. Seems brutal by default IMO. Same with murder, you never hear a newcaster say "A man was gently murdered in NYC tonight". 

Person behind you in the checkout line who runs their cart up within 4 inches of you

2EF47325-0883-444A-8011-A81F197BAEC4.thumb.jpeg.9750420e47917fdd5ed30f197ef16f7d.jpeg

My local H‑E‑B was surprisingly open yesterday and I went to grab a few things. Express lane was totally open so I go there. Since nobody was in the lane I pull my cart about 3/4 of the way towards the cashier so I can set items on the belt. Of course belt starts moving my items and a dipshit rolls up to the end and just starts placing items that then roll down to be mixed with mine while I still had a couple in the basket.
  • Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

My local H‑E‑B was surprisingly open yesterday and I went to grab a few things. Express lane was totally open so I go there. Since nobody was in the lane I pull my cart about 3/4 of the way towards the cashier so I can set items on the belt. Of course belt starts moving my items and a dipshit rolls up to the end and just starts placing items that then roll down to be mixed with mine while I still had a couple in the basket.

This would send me into a blind rage

4 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

You should have just acted like it was yours all along. 

Well here goes nothing. People, family members,sons and daughters who have no idea that their dear old mom and pop have no fucking business driving any longer. I went to Walmart yesterday and had loaded my groceries into my pickup and was returning the cart to the corral when a blue hair tried to pull in besides my truck. I had to jump back to keep her from running over me. Then to make matters loose, she continued to pull up alongside my truck on the passenger side, clipping my rear bumper with her front bumper and then her mirror dru alon the bed of the truck. She continued on, pulling completely through the parking space and clear through the next one in front of her. She then kept jockeying for position to try to get in the space in front of me. I had tried to wave her down and even triggered the alarm on my key fob to try to get her attention. I finally got her to stop and asked her, "you do fucking realize you just hit my GD truck don't you"? I get a puzzled look and a "no". I told her she needed to park way the hell away from everyone if she couldn't drive any fucking better than that. Left 4 big paint streaks on my truck, and being an old, yes she was driving a ficking Buick.

I was honestly ashamed afterwards about how I went off on her but damn man, there's no excuse for that shit.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 6

14 hours ago, elfenix said:

Person behind you in the checkout line who runs their cart up within 4 inches of you

2EF47325-0883-444A-8011-A81F197BAEC4.jpeg

Move your ass up then, so I can get out of people's way.  Lollygaggers on their phones, or visiting with Kevin from down the street need to STFU and move their ass.

Full disclosure:  going through a traditional line is last resort for me anyhoo.  I MUCH prefer self check-out, and yes, I am faster/ more efficient with the bagging and payment.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Move your ass up then, so I can get out of people's way.  Lollygaggers on their phones, or visiting with Kevin from down the street need to STFU and move their ass.

Full disclosure:  going through a traditional line is last resort for me anyhoo.  I MUCH prefer self check-out, and yes, I am faster/ more efficient with the bagging and payment.

it was a corral line with no self checkout and i was honoring the personal space of the people in front of me.  fuck you.

• Hook 'Em 2