Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

42 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Funny thing is that, by blowing a gasket and tweeting about the Lincoln Project ad, that ad will be seen by 10x, maybe 100x, maybe 1000x people than if Trump had just left it alone.

This, it is trending all over Twitter. Won't move anyone, but Conway is rolling with the nickname and poking Trump further. One has to wonder how this affects Trump's behavior toward Conway? With some of the new younger hires, will she hang on? Although he is elected and not appointed, Conway and Ted C could have a support group.

27 minutes ago, RPM said:

Rally? Please tell me it's a rally with massive crowds like nobody has ever seen.

I don’t think he’s really leaving the airport property.  The Honeywell plant is on the north side of the field.

42 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Kind of sad that the best anti-Trump ads are being made by ex-GOP.  

The Dems and Biden’s team appear clueless when it comes to digital ads.

Dems are clueless when it comes to politics in general.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

The Dems and Biden’s team appear clueless when it comes to digital ads.

They’re dragging the shit out of his ass.  This is going to be entertaining.  

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

This, it is trending all over Twitter. Won't move anyone, but Conway is rolling with the nickname and poking Trump further. One has to wonder how this affects Trump's behavior toward Conway? With some of the new younger hires, will she hang on? Although he is elected and not appointed, Conway and Ted C could have a support group.

It's not just trending on Twitter.  Trump just made it news.  So its on the front page of The Washington Post and The New York Times.  It's on Good Morning America.  It's on the top of the goddamned Drudge Report.  It's fucking everywhere.

55 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

It's a riff off an old Reagan ad.  I think it's most effective coming from former GOPers.

Biden's campaign can stay positive, highlighting Biden as a candidate.  Let others run the anti-Trump ads.

Just remember--that's all Hillary did.  She ran a fuckton of anti-Trump ads.  And they were good ads.  And she still lost.  It takes more than good anti-Trump ads to win the election.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, HenryJames said:

This might be a new level of unhinged, even for Trump.  Is Kellyanne cool with that shade?

And political first timer?  Trump doesn't seem to ever bring up that he once sought the Reform Party nomination in 2000 running on universal healthcare.  What a different world it would be if this regard had won 16 years earlier and somehow managed to establish M4A in this country.

• Like 1

Guest Lobo
4 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

It's not just trending on Twitter.  Trump just made it news.  So its on the front page of The Washington Post and The New York Times.  It's on Good Morning America.  It's on the top of the goddamned Drudge Report.  It's fucking everywhere.

It's a riff off an old Reagan ad.  I think it's most effective coming from former GOPers.

Biden's campaign can stay positive, highlighting Biden as a candidate.  Let others run the anti-Trump ads.

Just remember--that's all Hillary did.  She ran a fuckton of anti-Trump ads.  And they were good ads.  And she still lost.  It takes more than good anti-Trump ads to win the election.

Yep, that "Morning in America" ad was considered the gold standard of campaign ads for a quarter century.  We had an entire month devoted to (or it seemed like that at the time) in a political class at Texas in the 90's.  In its aftermath, it was singularly credited with helping deliver several New England states where Mondale was statistically tied with Reagan going into Election Day, giving Reagan what was effectively a sweep of every state (Mondale, as we know, wins his home state of Minnesota but by less than 4000 votes and Reagan refused to campaign there as a show of respect to Mondale).  A harbor/trawler, an autumnal small town, and the architect stylings of the home shown, were all intended to evoke a sense of "Hey, Republicans do appreciate us after all" in the New England area that had typically gone for Democrats. Or so it was explained to us.  

This Lincoln Project one isn't anywhere near that effective, but it's pretty damn good.  

As GLL says above, I'd keep Biden upbeat about every topic except Covid-19, where his ads should just be pragmatic and stats based.  I'd basically tell my campaign ad folks, "Make the Anthony Fauci of campaign ads."  Let the real mud-slinging get done by Lincoln guys, Bloomberg, and Amash. 

17 hours ago, Pancho said:

17 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Ask him what he thinks of this, Donny. 

trumpadsf.jpg

The assassination worked. It installed Johnson as the President who opposed the 14th amendment, allowed Southern state gov'ts to carry on, opposed any type of truly punitive reconstruction, and allowed anti-black laws to go into place for nearly a century.

Because of Johnson, the South ended up actually winning the war. Slavery was going to go away anyway.  The restored union was largely built in the image of the South. The battle flag still flies, and minority political leadership still uses states rights rhetoric to marginalize and disenfranchise ethnic minorities. 

I also always found it interesting that Booth killed Lincoln and the guy assigned to kill Seward wounded him, but the guy assigned to kill Johnson got cold feet. Leaving Johnson alive was the best outcome the Confederate murderers could have hoped for.  Not saying Johnson was in on it, but I think the plotters always intended for him to remain alive. Their goals aligned much like Putin and Trump. 

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Tom said:

And political first timer?  Trump doesn't seem to ever bring up that he once sought the Reform Party nomination in 2000 running on universal healthcare.  What a different world it would be if this regard had won 16 years earlier and somehow managed to establish M4A in this country.

Oh my sweet summer child; the problem is that it wouldn't be a different world--it is that you think it would be a different Trump and what he promised the Leopards Eating People's Faces Reform Party was truth. He is the Promises Made, Promises Fade candidate.

42 minutes ago, Lobo said:

This Lincoln Project one isn't anywhere near that effective, but it's pretty damn good.  

Too early to tell,  but  doubt "Morning is America" got this kind of response in 24 hours.

42 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

The assassination worked. It installed Johnson as the President who opposed the 14th amendment, allowed Southern state gov'ts to carry on, opposed any type of truly punitive reconstruction, and allowed anti-black laws to go into place for nearly a century.

Because of Johnson, the South ended up actually winning the war. Slavery was going to go away anyway.  The restored union was largely built in the image of the South. The battle flag still flies, and minority political leadership still uses states rights rhetoric to marginalize and disenfranchise ethnic minorities. 

I also always found it interesting that Booth killed Lincoln and the guy assigned to kill Seward wounded him, but the guy assigned to kill Johnson got cold feet. Leaving Johnson alive was the best outcome the Confederate murderers could have hoped for.  Not saying Johnson was in on it, but I think the plotters always intended for him to remain alive. Their goals aligned much like Putin and Trump. 

Decided to see if my memory had been correct.  Digging deeper, it was actually even more likely that Johnson was left alive on purpose.  Colfax, a radical Republican, was Speaker at the time, and the Senate had a Republican majority.  There was no Succession Act at the time, so the Speaker would not have necessarily been next in line, but the Republican Congress would have chosen under Constitutional provisions.   No way the conspirators really wanted Johnson dead.  He was the only Southern Democrat that even had a shot at taking over.  The timing is even suspect only about a month after he was sworn in as VP.

21 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Decided to see if my memory had been correct.  Digging deeper, it was actually even more likely that Johnson was left alive on purpose.  Colfax, a radical Republican, was Speaker at the time, and the Senate had a Republican majority.  There was no Succession Act at the time, so the Speaker would not have necessarily been next in line, but the Republican Congress would have chosen under Constitutional provisions.   No way the conspirators really wanted Johnson dead.  He was the only Southern Democrat that even had a shot at taking over.  The timing is even suspect only about a month after he was sworn in as VP.

The speaker of the House wasn't in the line of succession then (and arguably isn't now).  The next in line was the Secretary of State, and Seward was severely wounded by a would-be assassin the night of Lincoln's murder.

24 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

The current historical consensus is that George Atzerodt was supposed to kill Johnson that night. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.  

3 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

The speaker of the House wasn't in the line of succession then (and arguably isn't now).  The next in line was the Secretary of State, and Seward was severely wounded by a would-be assassin the night of Lincoln's murder.

Yep, I messed that up, but the Secy of State was not next in line or in line at all.  The 1792 Succession Act was in effect then.  Under it, the president pro-tempore of the Senate was next in line. The Speaker was 2nd in line.  The president pro tempore at the time of Lincoln's death was Lafayette Foster, a CT Republican. 

The House did try to make the Secy of State first in line when deliberating in 1791 and 1792, but the Senate rejected that, and ultimately the Senate version of the law was passed.  The 1886 Succession Act made the Secy of State first in line, but that was well after Lincoln's assassination.  

1 minute ago, FondrenRoad said:

Yep, I messed that up, but the Secy of State was not next in line or in line at all.  The 1792 Succession Act was in effect then.  Under it, the president pro-tempore of the Senate was next in line. The Speaker was 2nd in line.  The president pro tempore at the time of Lincoln's death was Lafayette Foster, a CT Republican. 

The House did try to make the Secy of State first in line when deliberating in 1791 and 1792, but the Senate rejected that, and ultimately the Senate version of the law was passed.  The 1886 Succession Act made the Secy of State first in line, but that was well after Lincoln's assassination.  

I stand corrected.

But including members of Congress is still unconstitutional.

Guest Lobo
27 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Why "moonface" 4 Conway?

maybe that's his safeword in the bedroom with Kellyanne and she let it slip?  Who among us doesn't like a gentle face-sitting and "mooning" is the ass. 

He missed such an easy one with Evan.  "McMuffin" McMullin is just lazy and the annoying kind of alliteration.  I would go with Evan "Bad Egg" McMullin.  

Matt Rhodes who only got this "(?) who lost big to 'O'." as his nickname in that 4-part ranting tweet about Lincoln Project.  Matt was laughing about earlier today because Trump's guys just went down the list of advisors and Rhodes isn't on there because while he's consulting to the group, he's not an official board of advisors member as he felt it would take away from his America Rising PAC fundraising efforts.  Apparently he and Steve Schmidt had a laugh about how come everybody got mentioned with cool nicknames, but Rhodes didn't get one.  Reminded me of Costanza trying to give himself his own nickname "T-Bone." 

Backstory is Rhodes got burned in 2008 heading up Romney's campaign because his team "Let out the 47% comment" and it really hurt Mitt.  So Rhodes goes off and forms America Rising PAC.  Basically giving donations for access to private donor events for prominent Democratic candidates.  So if you've been to a Democratic candidate for POTUS, Senate, or Governorships---one of their mid-size ticket fundraisers $500-$50,000...you've met one of their operators (they send at least two, sometimes more).  Rhodes and every other campaign manager of both parties just assumed that Americans knew that the way politicians speak to us on TV is markedly different than how they talk to their more well-heeled supporters behind closed doors/off the record.  But it's not, so Rhodes started this and that's why we all know HRC said "racist, nationalistc, misogynist Basket of Depolorables"   Those comments were engineered to be recorded and broadcast back to the half of Trump's base that they knew would take massive offense at that and those people got every one in their family to vote Trump and here we are.  Didn't help that America Rising got access to that speech ahead of time as HRC was looking to coin a term that couldn't be linked back to her. 

Anywhoodles, Rhodes was way ahead of his time and now he's back behind his time like a Mormon at a AVN convention.  Because Trump and Biden are both showing that nobody gives a shit what they say in private because everything they say is out loud in public with no filter.  So he's modeling it to go more state-centric.  Still interesting stuff.  Anyway, his vision after Romney got burned was to take something equally divisive from Hillary and win an election with it.  I think he was partially correct.  He's trying to make amends for that since he hates Trump, so he's also working with Lincoln Project.  /csb

Edited by Lobo

I largely disagree with contention that the assassination “worked”. It was a disastrous blunder. And given their objective in their succession declarations, to keep slavery legal, by definition they did not win the War.

1) Lincoln’s Reconstruction plans were very lenient towards the South and had a better chance of being beneficial to as many people as possible - especially Southerners. However, he was not going to eliminate the ruling class through prolonged imprisonment or execution. He believed they were necessary to maintain order.

2) Johnson’s Reconstruction policy was hasty and ineffective and largely countermanded by Republicans who ended up impeaching him

3) Republicans later added more comprehensive policies and amendments with harsher consequences. So if Johnson was their man, the plan failed, because his term was not the end of Reconstruction but the beginning of Radical Reconstruction.

4) It took decades for the South to begin to recover financially.

5) Through terror and abuse of power, the ruling elite eroded Reconstruction reforms. Federal interest in Southern policies faded.

In any case, the conspirators were not suicidal. They believed they could topple the government and restart the war with better terms, possibly maintain it through guerrilla actions. They were not thinking of long game.

are we really at the point in the simulation where we're trying to make sense of trump's nicknames?

Nah, just hoping he was back to criticising physical traits again, like acne or accident scars, but I can't remember G Conways appearance enough to know.