Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

6 hours ago, Pancho said:

Not good Bob

I mean folks have been talking a second wave for awhile. This is obviously not god news, but at the same time, nothing new. The goal here from the start is to buy time, bank on a vaccine or antibody or any other form of therapy to lessen the impacts, and hope for the best. We’re betting that we will figure out something and that hasn’t changed. 

at the very least we’re buying time for industry to create more necessary supplies for wave 2. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, we finally called our kids doctor - the 4yo’s cough worsened a bit, and temp in the 99s.   They questioned the hell out of us, angling around the covid thing, and clearly are swamped as well.  

Introduce your kids to Peppa Pig and Ben and Holly.   Keep them away from Ryan and Nastya.  

My ringtone is the Peppa theme.  We are well versed.  

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Oof. On the phone with daughter now. For the first time, tears. Mourning the early end of her rez experience - “I was cheated out of the last two months of my first year of college. I’ll never get to live here in the dorm again.”
Yeah, in the grand scheme of things, not the biggest disaster. But I feel her.
Do you want to come home? “I just don’t know.” Just...tears. Fuck.

That's all on you.  You shouldn't have paid for the nicer dorms.

6 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

My physician asst has to cancel their April wedding, his wife is crying and devastated.  He's a millennial and was also debby downer...I told him he needs to STFU and it's ok for his wife to cry but not him.  He's the best but needs some tough love at times.  

b8161a8368.jpg

I have been wondering about this analysis for the past several weeks. One scenario, letting the virus do its thing, is immediate and emotional, but likely results in fewer lives lost. If the greater loss of life is due to a collapsed economy, it’s spread out and the deaths themselves have less emotional impact on the general population. However,  despite the lower immediate emotional impact of the second scenario, the quality of life is diminished for everyone, creating long-term unhappiness.

No CR, but this somewhat parallels the abortion debate. One scenario results in an immediate emotional response, with easily attributed casualty data, but may have a positive impact on a society’s long term health. The other scenario creates a potential for more crime and possibly more human casualties but it’s 20+ years down the road before it’s impact can be studied and the resulting casualties will largely go unnoticed by the general population.

Welp my parents were dead set on attending my doctoral graduation. Tried to tell them that it wasn’t a big deal to me since I saw this coming. They got mad and booked shit anyway. I don’t have he heart (yet) to tell them that graduation is most likely a no go 

Excellent humblebrag professor. See folks, this is how it’s done.
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Hmmm said:

CTJ is the primary force in driving dictionary websites.  I suspect he has a rotating calendar of new words to use to incorporate in his vernacular.  he might be the last dude i'd try to argue with because of his rotating rhetoric.

Would you say he has a plethora?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, dcar00 said:

IMO this is a pull it out of your ass number for an article but what if this is true?

If it's true it means that a.) a vast majority of people who have it aren't clogging up the hospital, and b.) you can model it out that there are still another 2-3 months before everyone has it, but only 2-3 months. 

It goes back to that "flatten the curve" stuff. This isn't going to end until mostly everyone has had it, but you don't want everyone to get it all at once, either. 

This really is kind of like a war in the sense that everyone is making (admittedly, mild) sacrifices at home and some portion of the population isn't going to survive it, but it's unlike a war in that we will know when it's going to be over and when it is it will be mostly finished and things will get back to normal. 

• Like 1

Believe that most if not all of the Texas med center is going on restrictive entry this morning. Basically check everyone entering for even a low grade fever. Limited number of people allowed to visit patients or attend appointments with the patient. I imagine that most of the area hospitals are following this measure as well.

btw, they’re not trying to keep sick people out of the hospitals but move suspected coronavirus victims to the right area to treat them without infecting everyone else.

6 hours ago, dcar00 said:

you ever see Chinese in Africa?  there you go.

Not sure if serious, but the Chinese spend a lot of time and money in Africa right now. It's just like the Cold War - they are willing to spend their money in places that the west isn't, if only to buy an ally and have a place to spend their money. 

It's not spreading as quickly in Africa almost certainly due to climate factors. 

On cruises, have a friend that has been on 15+ cruises.  When school got canceled last week, she was immediately online looking at availability FOR THIS WEEK since there were some deals.  And she's a teacher.  With a kid of her own. 

We are surrounded by these people.

7 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

My daughter bought her graduation gear today.  They told her, "In the event of graduation being cancelled, you'll get a refund."

That really set her off and she rarely cries.  

I don't mean to be cold-hearted or mean but she's a child and that's the difference between children and adults. Lots of kids having issues right now missing out on sports events or graduation or prom or whatever. It's up to us as adults to provide an example and be parents. What we really need are more adults to start acting like adults. 

(Not meant to be critical of @Beau Vine at all, just an observation at the effect this is having on a lot of kids - I've got two of them myself)

Edited by crimsonlonghorn
  • Like 1

Just now, Macanudo said:

On cruises, have a friend that has been on 15+ cruises.  When school got canceled last week, she was immediately online looking at availability FOR THIS WEEK since there were some deals.  And she's a teacher.  With a kid of her own. 

We are surrounded by these people.

It’s the downside of democracy; everyone gets to vote.

4 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Well furk, keeping my fingers crossed.  Felt like crap yesterday, coughing, hacking up mucous etc.  Woke up in the middle of the night last night burning up and feeling like my head was going to explode. FML.

FWIW the biggest symptom of this virus is a dry cough. If you’re hacking shit up it might be a good sign. Also, I’m not a doctor, not even doctor adjacent, etc. but as other posters have said, don’t ignore that there are still hundreds of other strains of flu out there. Plus pollen. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Oof. On the phone with daughter now. For the first time, tears. Mourning the early end of her rez experience - “I was cheated out of the last two months of my first year of college. I’ll never get to live here in the dorm again.”
Yeah, in the grand scheme of things, not the biggest disaster. But I feel her.
Do you want to come home? “I just don’t know.” Just...tears. Fuck.

Prayers bro...🙏

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

FWIW the biggest symptom of this virus is a dry cough. If you’re hacking shit up it might be a good sign. Also, I’m not a doctor, not even doctor adjacent, etc. but as other posters have said, don’t ignore that there are still hundreds of other strains of flu out there. Plus pollen. 

In the midst of being miserable, I had forgotten about that.  Sounds crazy, but your post brought relief, cuz I've been hacking up crap by the gallon it seems.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

In the midst of being miserable, I had forgotten about that.  Sounds crazy, but your post brought relief, cuz I've been hacking up crap by the gallon it seems.

Hope you feel better soon.  Being sick/febrile sucks.   

23 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

I’m starting to feel good that the scientific community is going to rise to the occasion and we will see something sooner than later.

Someone needs to set up a live stream in these labs. 

Seems like they can set up a March madness tournament thingy between all the labs out there competition to see who can come up with a vaccine.  If ever a Cinderella story would be welcome it's now.

6 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Went outside last night to walk the dog with the flashlight. Pollen was so bad in the flashlight beam it looked like it was raining.

8 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

My physician asst has to cancel their April wedding, his wife is crying and devastated.  He's a millennial and was also debby downer...I told him he needs to STFU and it's ok for his wife to cry but not him.  He's the best but needs some tough love at times.  

Tell him the longer this goes and pushes off his wedding, the longer his ladyfriend will be giving him beejs on the reg. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Based on the Spanish flu data, I’m going to predict we don’t have just one curve but more in line with this: 

* You can’t argue with this perspective.

spacer.png

This might be the new version of the old woman/young lady drawing.

I can see this as birds eye view of boob or up the thigh view of panties.

A masterpiece really.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Buy gifts cards/gift certificates for the amount you know you normal spend with them and then use them later.

This is the horrible but honest response to that suggestion — what if I end up with hundreds of dollars of gift cards that I can’t use because the restaurants shut down?  I know that’s a shitty pessimism, but a distinct possibility.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dcar00 said:

a lot of this is emotional plus oil.  annoucing a vaccine would help greatly even if it is 6 more months to getting millions of them.  of course all bets are off we we start seeing 100's of deaths a day.

do you know how insanely successful and lucky they would have to be to have this in 12 months, much less 6 months?

planning on it happening is dumb. it isn't going to be widely available in 6 months, it may not even be available at all in 6 months. 

edit: adding in this tweet - note the timeframe mentioned

Edited by NoName
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

This is the horrible but honest response to that suggestion — what if I end up with hundreds of dollars of gift cards that I can’t use because the restaurants shut down?  I know that’s a shitty pessimism, but a distinct possibility.

Then re-gift them as wedding presents.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

FWIW the biggest symptom of this virus is a dry cough. 

per here the top symptoms are:

Symptom %
Fever 87.9%
Dry cough 67.7%
Fatigue 38.1%
Sputum production 33.4%
Shortness of breath 18.6%
Muscle pain or joint pain 14.8%
Sore throat 13.9%
Headache 13.6%
Chills 11.4%
Nausea or vomiting 5.0%
Nasal congestion 4.8%
Diarrhoea 3.7%
Haemoptysis 0.9%
Conjunctival congestion 0.8%
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, South Austin said:

That is the risk.  

57 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Well, I was hoping to give relief. Glad it helped. Now pull yourself together and stay healthy old man. 

As an Engineer I understand models & have used them often. You look at crazy scenarios that you know with 99.99999% certainty will never happen, because that's what modeling does.

I wish everyone on twitter would shut the fuck up about "this model shows that EVERYONE COULD DIE!"

9 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I mean other than to see some light, and get fresh air, where would you go to spread it if everything’s closed?

I'm a health care worker so I can't stay home. Just not looking forward to being pulled over every 100 feet or having to deal with a military checkpoint

2 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

As an Engineer I understand models & have used them often. You look at crazy scenarios that you know with 99.99999% certainty will never happen, because that's what modeling does.

I wish everyone on twitter would shut the fuck up about "this model shows that EVERYONE COULD DIE!"

"All models all wrong, some are useful."

After reading through the paper, his overall conclusions that the US and UK need to go into a suppression instead of mitigation is correct and that's generally what we are seeing with the shutdown of bars, restaurants, etc coming down now. However, his model is definitely wonky and doesn't seem to be calibrated against China or South Korea's performance. There's a lot of smart conclusions in there in regards to policy, but the model seems off with those second peaks. 

I never thought I'd defend Reviewer #2, but a lot of this research that is being published to twitter instead of being checked is the reason for that reviewer being a complete jackass. 

13 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Thanks.

My problem is, as a horrible allergy sufferer 3 of the top 4 are every day issues this time of year.

As an older who abused the shit out of his body in youth I'm hitting 4 of 6 with the weather changes recently.

Or perhaps I'm sick, but I don't show any other signs than shit I'm used to.

I assume the one you don't have is the one that pretty much everyone with CV has - fever.  That's comforting to know.

I have a dry cough almost all year.  And my entire back yard is yellow from pollen right now.  So I have a dry cough right now.  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away