Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

7 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

You’re missing the point. I said were ahead and you did all kinds of effort to argue against. Then 10+ hours later all of a sudden you don’t care 

It was almost zero effort. I didn't say I don't care, I said it's irrelevant meaning to the discussion we're having. You were wrong, repeatedly, and keep trying to move the goalposts regarding what you're saying.

As of 3/16 we were not ahead of where Italy was in testing 11 days previously. You either misread or misrepresented the data on that and then repeated that incorrect information multiple times. All of this while you were busy admonishing other people for not understanding the data.

Beyond that, I have no argument with you. But if you're going to continue to post falsehoods then you should expect people to continue to correct them.

• Like 1

Herd immunity is all we can pretty much hope for at this point. I agree that the majority will be asymptomatic, but the ones that arent are going to overload the healthcare system quick as fuck in a little over a week

I do think, however, based on the number of olds that will die off in this initial “wave,” the future “waves” of corona will be less and less taxing on hospitals/clinics etc

13 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

You’re missing the point. I said were ahead and you did all kinds of effort to argue against. Then 10+ hours later all of a sudden you don’t care 

You were wrong then. We may be ahead now (hey, time changes things, who knew?) on absolute basis, but it is still unclear if we are ahead on a per capita basis. You remain consistently wrong in pretty much all your posts. It is impressive.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Mayor of NOLA has banned the sale of firearms. I don’t own a handgun. Seriously thinking of buying one now. The chance of society breaking down now is much worse than after something like Harvey hitting. Social distancing, hording and panicking is not a good combo to keep order.

they need to get the toilet paper fairy working overtime stat

31 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So are the LifeCare deaths form that first case in WA?   I saw something that they traced it to them, but nothing since.  

No, the first case noted in Washington officially was January 20, 2020 in Washington.  Also, I think he got better.

On January 19, 2020, a 35-year-old man presented to an urgent care clinic in Snohomish County, Washington, with a 4-day history of cough and subjective fever. On checking into the clinic, the patient put on a mask in the waiting room. After waiting approximately 20 minutes, he was taken into an examination room and underwent evaluation by a provider. He disclosed that he had returned to Washington State on January 15 after traveling to visit family in Wuhan, China. The patient stated that he had seen a health alert from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) about the novel coronavirus outbreak in China and, because of his symptoms and recent travel, decided to see a health care provider.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2001191

3 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Herd immunity is all we can pretty much hope for at this point. I agree that the majority will be asymptomatic, but the ones that arent are going to overload the healthcare system quick as fuck in a little over a week

I do think, however, based on the number of olds that will die off in this initial “wave,” the future “waves” of corona will be less and less taxing on hospitals/clinics etc

a week huh?

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

No, the first case noted in Washington officially was January 20, 2020 in Washington.  Also, I think he got better.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2001191

Oh, I thought the cases in that facility could be traced back to him somehow, that it had been circulating in that area for 5-6 weeks.  

I’ll believe the feds are planning for worst case when the army shows up in hospital parking lots all over the country and starts assembling their mobile hospitals. 

that might also be when the remaining waterheads realize this is serious. 

they should empty out utmb and assign the staff and supplies in other places, blow up the bridge on their way out, and tell those islanders to have fun at their bars. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

It was almost zero effort. I didn't say I don't care, I said it's irrelevant meaning to the discussion we're having. You were wrong, repeatedly, and keep trying to move the goalposts regarding what you're saying.

As of 3/16 we were not ahead of where Italy was in testing 11 days previously. You either misread or misrepresented the data on that and then repeated that incorrect information multiple times. All of this while you were busy admonishing other people for not understanding the data.

Beyond that, I have no argument with you. But if you're going to continue to post falsehoods then you should expect people to continue to correct them.

As of 3/16 we were and one half a day forward you won’t even try the argument. 

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Oh, I thought the cases in that facility could be traced back to him somehow, that it had been circulating in that area for 5-6 weeks.  

I think the cases in that facility were community spread, i.e. they are not sure where it came from.  As I said, it has been here longer than that guy.  Had to have been.  China had people with it as early as November.  Think of ALL the people who traveled from China to the US between Mid-November and when we put the travel restrictions on.

8 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

My brain dead ex is leaving tomorrow with our 2 sons to go to Padre Island for 4 days. Did I mention my 4 yr old is 24 hrs removed from running a fever and has a double ear infection?

My sister’s ex husband works at a titty bar in Okie City.  Titty bar is closed until further notice. (Duh.). 

He told her today that as a result, he can’t pay child support but still wants the kids this weekend.  Doesn’t have much food but thinks he’ll pick some up on Saturday.

Top that.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Mayor of NOLA has banned the sale of firearms. I don’t own a handgun. Seriously thinking of buying one now. The chance of society breaking down now is much worse than after something like Harvey hitting. Social distancing, hording and panicking is not a good combo to keep order.

We have power, water, internet, garbage pickup, the vast majority of us can handle this.   The vast majority of us will be home.   And our law enforcement won’t be tied up with rescuing folks or keeping looters out of empty homes.  And I think the potential payments they are talking about handing out will help many.

Asking people to sit at home on their asses in relative comfort vs a hurricane swamping the levees, taking out power and clean water, and jeopardizing their lives is different.

• Like 3

My sister’s ex husband works at a titty bar in Okie City.  Titty bar is closed until further notice. (Duh.). 

He told her today that as a result, he can’t pay child support but still wants the kids this weekend.  Doesn’t have much food but thinks he’ll pick some up on Saturday.
Top that.
Oh yeah, they're meeting people out there that flew in from California...

For whatever it is worth, given the timelines we are looking at I have changed my viewpoint on ace inhibitors and arbs such as lisinopril and Losartan. I am discontinuing and keeping on with my chlorthalidone. If you are diabetic or have other circumstances these are different circumstances. I am only considering short term outcome and have home bp monitoring that I will keep close eye one. Sig reducing salt intake in near term. 

Edited by Anastasis

I heard that as well, pretty sure it was on one of the NYT The Daily podcast episodes. They cleared that first guy in WA and then later found a genetic link between his virus and the new infections in the LifeCare nursing home. So it seemed pretty clear it was spreading undetected in between those known cases.

For whatever it is worth, given the timelines we are looking at I have changed my viewpoint on ace inhibitors and arbs such as lisinopril and Losartan. I am discontinuing and keeping on with my chlorthalidone. If you are diabetic or have other circumstances these are different circumstances. I am only considering short term outcome and have home bp monitoring that I will keep close eye one. Sig reducing salt intake in near term. 

I take a beta blocker and an angiotensin blocker for high blood pressure. Do those qualify? Why aren’t we hearing about this more, aren’t these drugs pretty common?

Just had a disturbing call with my dad who lives in Sun City. My step mom has a 102 degree fever, severe headache and pneumonia setting in her lungs. She was in Ft Worth last weekend at the zoo, restaurants and watching her grandkids. I'm freaked out because my dad is super high risk.  73 yrs old, Heart attack, quad bypass and a pacemaker.  She is a pharmacist by trade and is very educated. She told me tonight she tested negative for flu and is asking for the test tomorrow.  She sounded scared.  If my dad gets this it won't be good.  They did tell her today they can't order the test unless she was directly exposed. I told them tomorrow to lie. 

Dang...

How does everyone feel about daycares right now? Are a lot of cities mandating that they close? Are any of you still using them?

We have friends who still take one of their two kids to daycare with no plans to stop until the daycare is forced to close. It makes no sense to me because the mom is currently home from work on maternity leave with their other kid who is ~7 weeks old.

34 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

The Power of Christ compels you?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Just had a disturbing call with my dad who lives in Sun City. My step mom has a 102 degree fever, severe headache and pneumonia setting in her lungs. She was in Ft Worth last weekend at the zoo, restaurants and watching her grandkids. I'm freaked out because my dad is super high risk.  73 yrs old, Heart attack, quad bypass and a pacemaker.  She is a pharmacist by trade and is very educated. She told me tonight she tested negative for flu and is asking for the test tomorrow.  She sounded scared.  If my dad gets this it won't be good.  They did tell her today they can't order the test unless she was directly exposed. I told them tomorrow to lie. 

Shit man, I'm sorry. 

I think we're all dreading getting a similar call. Hoping for the best for you and your family.

1 minute ago, tjhooker said:

Fuck, sorry man. These next couple months are going to remind most of us of what’s truly important in our lives.

8 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Sorry to hear that man. I do have one question. How do you determine that pneumonia is setting in her lungs? 

Wait...my reading was that ace inhibitors were the ones to avoid, and ace inhibitors and arbs work quite differently. So, losartan, an arb, wasn’t on the caution list?

I can't say this enough, listen to this interview with a doctor in Italy. He says "it's like a war":

https://nyti.ms/2QjWAZN

Italy has become the epicenter of the pandemic’s European migration, with nearly 30,000 infections and more than 2,000 deaths in just a few weeks. These numbers are soaring by the day, even after the government took extreme measures to lock down much of the country. Now, the U.S. surgeon general is warning that America is on a strikingly similar path. Today, we speak to one Italian doctor triaging patients north of Milan about the road that may lie ahead.

Edited by Dahobbs

59 minutes ago, F250 said:

I remember that post. How is your friend doing?

Not great.  His rounds of chemo only killed about 50% apparently.   They are going to open him up on April 6 and do whatever they can to remove it.  

problem is, they don’t quite know if it’s the kind that once it’s exposed to oxygen is going to explode in spread, or if they’ll be able to remove it.  

He’s 20 years old, and was almost done with USMC RC when he fell weak for “some reason”. Prayers are well appreciated.  Shit is very serious right now 

• Like 4

How does everyone feel about daycares right now? Are a lot of cities mandating that they close? Are any of you still using them?

We have friends who still take one of their two kids to daycare with no plans to stop until the daycare is forced to close. It makes no sense to me because the mom is currently home from work on maternity leave with their other kid who is ~7 weeks old.

Conflicted. Our first grader is obviously at home with my wife and our newborn and I’ve been taking our 3-year old to daycare because she’s a terror at home.

They sanitize and disinfect the building constantly and monitor the kids closely for fever and symptoms. They don’t let parents past the front desk either so that makes me feel a little better. But I’ve been going into the office and grocery shopping so me and the 3-year old could hypothetically infect the household. I’m hoping that the office and daycare are shutdown by the end of this week and the whole family starts quarantine.

15 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I'd completely avoid them if at all possible. they are petri dishes.

51 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Guns aren’t hard to find, but ammo is becoming scarce. Academy was sold out the other day and several of the online vendors I contacted were out of 9mm and limited shotgun shells.

31 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

He must have nice tits!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

BTW this gets loose in Sun City watch out. My step mom is a social butterfly too. If she has it I'm sure she infected a ton there. 

Is she open to male companionship?  Because we might have a money making opportunity.

4 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Yes it was. 

Total deaths were trending 18-20% growth and today was 34%.  We nearly had twice as many deaths today as should have been expected.

The overall death rate has fallen this week in US. It was around 3% last week and now down to 1.7% today.   Step in the right direction.  

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away