Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

8 minutes ago, dad said:

Why would someone highly educated as to be close to graduating from dental school and trusted to perform root canals think it's ok to continue working when they feel ill AFTER a spring break visit to a foreign country?! That's fucking ridiculous. 

My guess is that missing school and clinical is frowned upon. Transmitting a deadly virus is probably less scary than not graduating.

12 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

But please don't call it the ChiCom Flu, millions could die from being offended:

Groovy.

I'm POSITIVE the post-mortem on this crisis will find many failure points -- both at the inception and at various points where it spread.  Let's put a pin in all of those, because we need to learn, and some folks may need to suffer some consequences....later.

For now, we all have a common enemy, and we need data and cooperation from, literally, every person and government in the world.  Let's fight the fight, and try to make each step forward the right one.  Hell, I'm critical as hell of numerous missteps our federal and many state and local governments have made -- and I'll remember those criticisms.  But all I want is for any of them to make the right decisions going forward RIGHT NOW.  Work the problem.  That is our only mission now.  There's nothing else.

• Like 3

so someone pointed me to a thread on the CR board, which I don't frequent - but it seems topical to where we are today in this thread.
there already several communities that have been put in quarantine, and some media talking about broader use of it or shelter-in-place (same thing, nicer name)

So here is the link

And here is the first post

I got to thinking about the possibility of a coronavirus outbreak here in the USA - in my backyard - and the likelyhood of government efforts to contain the virus by quarantining folks.  I searched and found a page on the CDC website pertaining to quarantine regulations which states:

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/specificlawsregulations.html

It seems a bit of a stretch to me to justify quarantines on the basis of interstate trade, even when folks are traveling between states.  But that leads me to the issue at hand - where is the line drawn (either morally or legally) for when the state may "take action affecting individuals for the benefit of society".  Are individuals morally responsible for the butterfly effect of transmission of an infectuous disease?  Are individuals responsible for their own health?  Where is the line limiting government from totalitarian control of the populace over this pretext?  I mean the common flu is a communicable disease.  I imagine there are any number of communicable diseases which are prevalent and persistent in society which could be the basis for government action on these grounds.

I might be slightly drunk.  Cheers.

I'll take all your neg rep for posting CR on this board, if that's how you see it

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ellellelle said:

I used to work on the west side of Shands (dentistry). This thing could be all over the hospital and that is a scary thought.

3 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Or...and here me out...some stupid moron didn't self quarantine despite having symptoms.

^^^ All of this!

I contracted Chicken pox at Mardi Gras while I was a student living on campus at UF.  I walked into the infirmary and was isolated immediately.  It was easy to diagnose since I was starting to breakout all over.  If the diagnostic tools were available this could have been a lot different.   I can see a student doing what they can and getting the run around and not wanting to sacrifice their place in the program/grades.   For the chicken pox  I was given 12 hours to pack and leave campus... had to be medically cleared to return (it was made clear I would be expelled if I didn't)  a ton of other guys in my dorm caught it from me.  I know some that once they got the pox they didn't go the infirmary because they wanted to finish up mid terms.  

Chalk it up to a shitty response all around.

13 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Just wait until coffee plantations go belly up for non-pandemic related reasons over the next couple of decades. Oy.

Probably easier to have a coup in some poor Latin American country than stimulate the coffee companies. Good luck Guatemala...

Image result for united fruit company

3 minutes ago, davidg said:

So is that really the comparison that you want to make?

Well, I mean, WWII WAS a big challenge for them.  For sure, the logistics of building all of those camps and stuff, that was surely challenging.  And you know, building large projects like hospitals on a quick turnaround would be a handy skill to have these days.  You know..... if we're trying to look on a bright side and stuff.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Calling my shot: we all will be “sheltering in place” in less than 72 hours

Glad to see your piss poor prognosticating and desire to cause hysteria has not waned. United has cut flights by 60% starting in April. If a total ban on travel was coming they wouldn't do that. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/United-to-cut-several-domestic-international-15140886.php

3 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Glad to see your piss poor prognosticating and desire to cause hysteria has not waned. United has cut flights by 60% starting in April. If a total ban on travel was coming they wouldn't do that. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/United-to-cut-several-domestic-international-15140886.php

Greenspoint is being a goober still, but your logic doesn't seem all that sound.

• Like 2

I just got off the phone with a friend. She’s SIP At her parents house. We discussed how foolish her father was being because he’s not taking this seriously. Long discussion about all the dangers etc. she then tells me she has to go because she’s at the nail salon about to get her nails done. We’re fucking doomed!

So is that really the comparison that you want to make?

I expect you will be unhappy to learn that Germany named its ChiCom Virus plan "Project Hansel and Gretel"....

This affront to German judgement shall not stand.

The proper name is Operation Barbarossa 2 - Electric Bugaloo

1 minute ago, dad said:

THOSE are our future leaders?! Ha! Amerikuh is fucked.

I feel a little disingenuous laughing at those stupid fucks.   Young Loco probably would be out there too, trying to hook up with a girl with a room or sleeping in/on the car.  God I was/am an idiot.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

It's Bruh nowadays not Bro.  

That aside I am sure his dad went to work and got his ass laughed at cause his kid went viral being a drunk dumbass.

It's sad to see how far Smitty has fallen, god bless him.  Gonna pour one out tonight for my pledge Bruhs.  Look, I'm not saying SAE is the only way to go, it's just that we demand a certain level of excellence and brotherhood that other houses don't require...that's all.  

Edited by Lobo

3 minutes ago, Loco said:

I feel a little disingenuous laughing at those stupid fucks.   Young Loco probably would be out there too, trying to hook up with a girl with a room or sleeping in/on the car.  God I was/am an idiot.

I guess there is a certain element of the world is ending lets just all bang before we die to this..

Edit: Wife still won't let me hit.

Edited by dad

I'm just waiting for some of the other ones to pop.  I drive by several and they always have a firetruck or ambulance outside (it's gotta suck to be old)  I have to imagine that's how it'll get in...that or asymptomatic workers/caregivers

9 minutes ago, Loco said:

DTFH Padre '86

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away