Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Came home for lunch, had leftover lasagna, and took my temp before heading back (I'm doing it 3x per day).  99.4 (was 98.4 in the morning).  Tried both ears.  Same.  Scrubbed it down with alcohol.  Wife checked hers.  Normal.  Thermometer deemed accurate.  Waited 15 minutes.  Tried again.  98.5.  Triple checked.  Went back to work.  Took it every hour on the hour.  Normal temp.  Must have been the lasagna.  Damn you Stouffers!

The massive sodium and preservatives fucks me up like that.

20 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Welp, Los Angeles County superior court system (the nation's largest) is set to re-open its doors this coming Friday after being shuttered since yesterday.

It's going to be an absolute shit-show and I'll be there in the middle of it. Glad I've been quarantining with my family this whole time.  

Dude that is so f’d up.  That courthouse is a shitshow of the highest order under normal circumstances.  Seriously lowest rung of the societal ladder there.  Rest In Peace, Foosters.  I’ll fire up the wreath fund.

all joking aside, I can’t imagine a worse place to go.  And if you were called for jury duty would you have to report?  They could get right fucked if they think I’d show.

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I'll weight in on this and any other retail related questions.

Both of these are kind of right.  You could fairly easily cannibalize the rest of the store staff and make them order pickers.  That's the easy part.  Hard part is the IT.  Your inventory has to be correct, your app/website has to be tied into a particular store, and you have to streamline the process.  There's also the issue of physical space in the parking lots for drive through pick ups but that varies by location.  The integration of the app/website and the store specific inventory is really the hardest part.

Walmart has been doing drive through pick up pretty well now for years.  Their strength has always been what I mentioned above, in both systems and operations.  Where they suck is store experience and that's where the HEB's and Publix's of the world excel.  HEB generally sucks at this but their in store experience is great.  WMT is the inverse.  For example, WMT's store pick up is running fairly smooth right now but from what I understand, the soonest you can get a time slot at HEB is something like next weekend.

(There are also some regulatory hurdles.  If you're ordering scripts along with your food, a pharmacist has to be involved.)

That's basically it in a nutshell.

I feel like you could bill this comment for half an hour at $250 an hour. You must do well for yourself.

4 hours ago, Modessit said:

Check this out:

a673d55dddcdfdf1bb2523beb19acd29.jpga0d433556d2cd0ebb187da0eacc0acc7.jpgd235c4586bfa25c645a5b7a11e9215cb.jpg

First she talks about how easy it was to walk around HEB at Congress/Oltorf and then after being confronted claimed to have stayed in the car while her probably-infected husband went in.

And the neighborhood she lives in is the one across from mine so now we can't take the kids to any of the parks just in case she also has kids and has been taking them.

Kids and wife haven't left the house/yard since Saturday. They're about to take a short walk just to get a little exercise and won't get within 15 ft of anyone else.

Same people?  MT is Margarito? ...

https://www.gofundme.com/f/helpmt-nancy

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Dude that is so f’d up.  That courthouse is a shitshow of the highest order under normal circumstances.  Seriously lowest rung of the societal ladder there.  Rest In Peace, Foosters.  I’ll fire up the wreath fund.

all joking aside, I can’t imagine a worse place to go.  And if you were called for jury duty would you have to report?  They could get right fucked if they think I’d show.

No, no juries at least (for their sake.)  

5 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Question for the docs @Newdoc @ChiTownDoc etc:

How can you tell if you’ve already had Covid 19? A couple hundred of my coworkers came back from our sales conference in Vegas last month with pretty similar symptoms. 

I don't think those tests are developed yet, mainly because it's not the main priority right now, but Id guess they'll look for specific antibodies.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

The really sad thing is, I looked through Abbott’s twitter this morning, and he was talking about Texas prepping for this back at the end of January.   And here we are.  Feels like all they did was discuss it. This was from last week.   

I would not be surprised if he was right.  However, this is kind of like being the tallest midget at a slam dunk contest.

33 minutes ago, RayDog said:

The Philippines has 202 cases and 17 deaths last I checked. I am not surprised the cfr is so because people here can't afford hospitals so they will wait until the last minute and most cases will never be documented. 

The initial run at grocery stores is over and they are restocked except for hand sanitizer. Now that the Filipinos are broke there is plenty for me and the lines aren't long. Of course the situation will start getting desperate soon. I am trying to keep up my stock for now. 

In the Philippines the main business of pawn shops is to send cash, so I will be sending $20 to $40 here and there to people who can't come to me because of roadblocks. My girlfriend and I will be cooking for some of her friends who live inside Angeles and can walk to my apartment. 

Life during wartime.

for the docs .... in case you didn't see this when it broke 20 hours ago....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/japanese-flu-drug-clearly-effective-in-treating-coronavirus-says-china

personally, i think this could be huge.  it will have no effect on the R0 or flattening the curve, but it could very well falcon-punch the CFR and that would be huge for morale.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

January 14th 2020

“Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel #coronavirus (2019-nCoV) identified in #Wuhan, #China,” the WHO tweeted.

Fuck China

So we called it West Nile Virus...Spanish flu, Zika, Ebola etc etc...but since the Chinese have been so good to us, we need to change so as not to hurt their communist bullshit feelings.  JFC

• Like 8

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yes, I think I posted earlier today the 40/50 we know are hospitalized in the major downtown Chicago hospitals have been responding well to the antiviral cocktails they're doling out.  Cautiously optimistic because so far we have needed very few respirators here in IL.  I'm almost hesitant to post these type of updates as invariably some moron will use it as an excuse to go be a fucktard. 

i don't think you have to worry about the fucktard quotient. we've got that NAILED DOWN.  PROFESSIONALS.  TOP.  MEN.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

So we called it West Nile Virus...Spanish flu, Zika, Ebola etc etc...but since the Chinese have been so good to us, we need to change so as not to hurt their communist bullshit feelings.  JFC

Fuck the Chinese, and their whole system.  It should be called The virus brought to you by those fuckers in China.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yes, I think I posted earlier today the 40/50 we know are hospitalized in the major downtown Chicago hospitals have been responding well to the antiviral cocktails they're doling out.  Cautiously optimistic because so far we have needed very few respirators here in IL.  I'm almost hesitant to post these type of updates as invariably some moron will use it as an excuse to go be a fucktard. 

What is different about these antivirals than things that may (or may not) have been used other places?

2 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

What is different about these antivirals than things that may (or may not) have been used other places?

The combination of which antivirals, for one.  I'll look for the pair in India that had some apparent success too.  

Edit:  some are rare and others may still be in clinical trials (overseas options)...so a combo of multiple may not have been tried in the countries where they're having a bad breakdown.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

6 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Keep it up man. We need more people like you in the world right now. I mean, preferably not OU grads, but you get the picture. 

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

You know that we now have this thing called the internet that can disseminate info more quickly than postings on telephone poles?  

I don’t know, we’ve got a guy in our area who lost his chihuahua back in November I think, and he has done an amazing job of plastering posters on telephone poles, for sale signs, sent out maulers about it.    The guy got the word out about it.  

Everybody in Austin will be dead, and there will still be posters of that chihuahua on fallen telephone poles.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

Just now, ztejas said:

Keep it up man. We need more people like you in the world right now. I mean, preferably not OU grads, but you get the picture. 

Ha, definitely not OU grads.  I'm just working with a team on the response and postacute networks so we don't overwhelm the system.  Have been involved in much of the logistics...down to searching for respirator machines in Mexico...it's pretty damn crazy, what we are seeing right now.  The actual mad scientists coming up with the treatment are likely UT grads, of course. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Ha, definitely not OU grads.  I'm just working with a team on the response and postacute networks so we don't overwhelm the system.  Have been involved in much of the logistics...down to searching for respirator machines in Mexico...it's pretty damn crazy, what we are seeing right now.  The actual mad scientists coming up with the treatment are likely UT grads, of course. 

Godspeed, Chitown. That drink I’ve owed you for a while? Make it a double...and then another. Fight the good fight.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Whatever you're doing is valuable. And on the OU topic - I just recently learned my dad's oldest brother went there for law. He's now the general consul at a pretty prominent regional bank. Y'all produce some good ones. At least, the ones that actually attend the university and apply themselves. 

18 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

German measles, Lyme disease...

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away