CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I was referencing the post above mine and the post to which that one referred, so buzz off shrimpdick. Your perspective of obsession has zero effect on me.

However, in reference to your other post, I am for some restrictions being lifted with clear guidelines in place from a local to a national level. Beyond hygiene (which is mostly agreed upon for any illness) those guidelines/restrictions may need to be curtailed depending upon the location. I would like for the testing and contact tracing to be robust, but it appears that is not going to happen really. I am opposed to the IMO blase announcement by the Las Vegas mayor.

Well congrats on being a sensible person. When I suggested something similar here less than a week ago, I was chastised for wanting for more people to die etc. which is of course nonsense. There was maybe or post or two in agreement, but I’d estimate it was a good 5:1 against. 

2 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Prominent crypto investor. Does it really matter? I only have to go back one page to see someone sharing David Frum’s fucking opinion. 

I shared it as an example of the growing sentiment outside of Cro-Magnon red state areas that it’s time reassess our shelter in place policies. 

How many times did you change your mask this week?

1 minute ago, cactusflinthead said:

That virus is a sneaky little son of a gun. The asymptomatic part is going to be a real tricky battle going forward.

56 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Well congrats on being a sensible person. When I suggested something similar here less than a week ago, I was chastised for wanting for more people to die etc. which is of course nonsense. There was maybe or post or two in agreement, but I’d estimate it was a good 5:1 against. 

Perhaps part of the difficulty is that it isn't really a one size fits all situation or philosophy. I liked Fauci's explanation that it isn't as simple as flipping a light switch, but based on the dialogue from some politicians, they aren't making it clear as to whether that is what they wish to do ("Hey! let's open up everything!") or ("After giving it some thought, we would like to use the federal guidelines and science-based info to allow nonessential businesses to reopen provided they follow 'X' to protect employees and consumers.") or something along those lines.

The problem I see is that the portion of the population who is still treating the virus as a nothingburger may chafe at arriving in a state or locale that says, "Sorry, we have had to enact different restrictions than from where you've arrived, therefore you need to follow our guidelines or be quarantined." That is just going to be a mess, isn't it?

I just don't know. It just seems like in many places, people have been working hard to keep the virus at a manageable level but per usual, the dimwits are going to spoil it for all.

38 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

How many times did you change your mask this week?

Once a day. Same as I have been.

Although I posted good news in the other thread. All surgical patients here being tested preop. Therefore we’ll be able to just use standard masks if we want in Or. More N95s for elsewhere. 

7 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

That virus is a sneaky little son of a gun. The asymptomatic part is going to be a real tricky battle going forward.

it also could eventually end up helping.  it would be nice to find out that more people have the antibodies than we first expected.

7 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

it also could eventually end up helping.  it would be nice to find out that more people have the antibodies than we first expected.

Medical question: are they able to tell if a person has had the European strain or the original strain and does that matter? When the story came out about the deaths in California that occurred in February, I wondered which strain they were, but didn't see it mentioned and maybe it isn't relevant.

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Medical question: are they able to tell if a person has had the European strain or the original strain and does that matter? When the story came out about the deaths in California that occurred in February, I wondered which strain they were, but didn't see it mentioned and maybe it isn't relevant.

yes, i believe they are able to tell the difference when they test, as that's how they initially identified the first us cases as european spread.  i have no idea if it matters, other than just to contact trace.  my understanding is that the washington state ones were from china, but that might've been speculation because a lot more flights from asia come to the west coast (sea, sf, la).

i know the two deaths you're referring to (santa clara i think?) but hadn't seen it identified as one or the other. 

8 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

maybe they just assumed?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/22/us/santa-clara-county-coronavirus-death.html

Ms. Dowd, whose case was confirmed this week, worked at a company that had offices around the world, including in Wuhan, China, the city where the outbreak began, family and friends said.

Lulz.  Dumbass.

https://www.motherjones.com/coronavirus-updates/2020/04/utah-was-really-into-trumps-miracle-cure-now-it-wants-its-money-back/

Utah residents may be lukewarm on President Donald Trump—the president leads Democrat Joe Biden there by only five points, a shocking number in such a reliably red state—but Utah has proven to be an enthusiastic booster of Trump’s favorite coronavirus miracle cure, the anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine. On March 21, a group of drug promoters in the state held a press conference to advocate for its use to treat Covid-19, claiming it could practically raise the dead, despite the fact that there’s no evidence that it works, and plenty of evidence that it can be dangerous to some people.

“There are responses that are equivalent to Lazarus—literally the biblical Lazarus—people almost dead coming back,” physician Kurt Hegmann, director of the Rocky Mountain Center for Occupational and Environmental Health at the University of Utah, said at the event.

Ten days later, the state spent $800,000 to purchase 20,000 doses from a local pharmacy chain, Meds in Motion, whose owner had been promoting the drug to state officials for weeks. The state legislature planned to set aside $8 million to buy 200,000 more doses to distribute free of charge to anyone diagnosed with COVID-19. Experts warned that the purchase was a waste of money given that the drug hasn’t been proven to work in treating the disease.

Eight million dollars for pharmaceuticals is a lot of money in a state that ranks dead last in per-pupil public school spending and spent most of the last decade refusing to expand Medicaid under Obamacare, even after state residents passed a ballot initiative demanding the expansion.

Utah House Democrats were suspicious of the GOP state officials’ enthusiasm for the unproven drug. They released a press statement criticizing the purchase, noting that their GOP colleagues had been pushing to buy the drugs from Dan Richards, the owner of Meds in Motion, who had amassed huge quantities of the raw materials needed to compound the drug and now wanted the state to buy his stash. Citing a recent study showing that hydroxychloroquine may endanger coronavirus patients, the state democrats said on April 21, “[O]ur colleagues quietly pushed the state to buy the stockpile of Dan Richards of Meds In Motion, a pharmacist lobbyist, with precious taxpayer dollars to compound the unproven drug without public scrutiny.”

Nonetheless, Utah officials moved forward, urged on by state Senate President Stuart Adams, who had appeared at the March press conference with Richards and the other drug promoters. But on Friday, after the FDA warned against negative impacts of the drug, Governor Gary Herbert announced that the state would not purchase any more hydroxychloroquine. He claimed to have no idea how the first batch got procured by his administration, which issued the no-bid contract under emergency procurement rules enacted because of the pandemic.

The 20,000 pills haven’t yet been delivered to the state health department, so Herbert suggested that the state should get a refund. “That’d be nice if they just said, you know, we had a miscommunication here and we’re apologizing and here’s your money back,” he said at a news conferenceFriday.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

Thanks! I am among those who will be interested to see how prevalent the antibodies are among citizens living in the larger cities, especially on the coasts or in areas where travel was routed after the US began diverting flights.

@Francisco 2.0--that is just hilarious. Poor Mr. President. Got confused about the difference between a press conference and a rally.

4 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Prominent crypto investor. Does it really matter? I only have to go back one page to see someone sharing David Frum’s fucking opinion. 

I shared it as an example of the growing sentiment outside of Cro-Magnon red state areas that it’s time reassess our shelter in place policies. 

Are prominent crypto investors uniquely qualified to judge virus quarantine techniques? Or perhaps are they more focused on their own personal investments and bank accounts.

Truly a conundrum to ponder over. 

• Like 1

ok, so i have a question.

all of these cases we see of people taking trump's malaria drug or injecting disinfectant, do they already have or think they have the covid?  or are they just doing it as a preventative measure?  and if it's the latter, and they're that scared of the disease, why aren't they just staying fucking home?  you would think anyone with 10% of a brain would have to be on death's door with no alternative to put clorox or lysol in their body.

50 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

So does this mean the daily beatings are coming to an end? If so, praise Jesus!

They likely have seen the polls that show the press conferences are hurting him more than helping, and he's trying to find an excuse to end them.

On 4/24/2020 at 4:53 PM, Anastasis said:

I do think that the lack of self-awareness in propping up the CR as the rational and reasoned, disinformation and propaganda free portion of this website where politics is discussed reasonably is pretty funny though.  Many posters on this board reveled in crazy right out conspiracy theory nonsense for most of the last 3 years because it aligned with their political inclinations.  Can we just be real.  The DT is a shit show, the CR is a shit show.  Let's not create self congratulatory delusions in the process. 

Fence Sitter Stock Illustrations – 2 Fence Sitter Stock ...

24 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

ok, so i have a question.

all of these cases we see of people taking trump's malaria drug or injecting disinfectant, do they already have or think they have the covid?  or are they just doing it as a preventative measure?  and if it's the latter, and they're that scared of the disease, why aren't they just staying fucking home?  you would think anyone with 10% of a brain would have to be on death's door with no alternative to put clorox or lysol in their body.

I think the spectrum of how people deal with health issues is vast, from hypochondria to the typical "I don't have time to be sick" middle aged male approach.  It doesn't surprise me that a small # of people are ingesting cleaners, and they're probably doing so for a variety of reasons.

12 minutes ago, bolverk said:

They likely have seen the polls that show the press conferences are hurting him more than helping, and he's trying to find an excuse to end them.

Yeah the old go ahead and inject yourself with Lysol advice probably didn’t resonate well with most Americans except with the most die hard idiot trumpkins. 

3 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Yikes!

and oh, dude in a Sub Pop shirt? Does he know where he is?

Really fascinating combination of people they have on their shitlist there.

And, grungefucks can be morons, too.

Edited by TwiceHorn

10 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Yeah the old go ahead and inject yourself with Lysol advice probably didn’t resonate well with most Americans except with the most die hard idiot trumpkins. 

Wife and I were talking about this a bit ago; our two kids (7 and 9) know better than to get something from the utility room and drink it, since it can make you very sick or kill you.  Yet, you have actual fucking adults in our country that actually tried doing something along these lines because the President suggested it.

These people knew that bleach or lysol or whatever could kill you, but did it anyway. That's Jim Jones level type of worship.

Tomorrow morning's GOP talking points, today:

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/gov-stitt-to-president-trump-declare-covid-19-pandemic-an-act-of-god-amid-oil/article_ef396817-f2dd-55d7-a390-fcca31690941.html

Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt announced Saturday that he wrote a letter to President Donald Trump asking for his administration to declare the COVID-19 pandemic an "act of God."

"In this unprecedented time, we must continue to work strategically with our federal government to help our state’s public health and economy," Stitt said in a statement on his Facebook page. "Oklahoma, we are in this together and we will get through this."

The letter states Oklahoma has struggled in recent weeks with the "near total disappearance" of demand for oil and gas products as well as the "imminent lack of available storage" for them. He pointed out oil futures closed negative for the first time in recorded history because of the level of oversupply and the lack of storage capabilities.

Stitt said operators in the state want to either voluntarily reduce production or cease on a temporary basis without fear of people taking advantage of opportunities to cancel leases due to production cuts. He asked the White House for the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic to be declared a "force majeure" or "act of God" only "for the narrow purpose" of protecting producers from such attempts.

"Over-production of oil continues to threaten the economy, posing many potential environmental threats to Oklahoma and other producing states with no demand and rapidly diminishing storage capacity," Stitt wrote in the letter. "This could lead to difficult decisions for producers regarding where to position these hydrocarbons with no place to store them and no one to buy them."

The governor added that he believed the move would benefit the oil market by helping limit over-production while ensuring the environment is protected.

94975613_2988926257860017_87149658144505

10 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

This is an act of God.

Signed,

Donald Trump

P.S. But still China's fawlt!

• Like 3