CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

49 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

What happens with you drink Lysol:

giphy.gif

Pinesol used to be sold as douche. Nobody tested silicon injection and implants before they were used by doctors to treat the official malady of small breastedness (labeling it a malady justified prescribing injections and implants as "treatment"). In Japan, prostitutes had their breasts enlarged by injecting motor coolant to attract bossom loving American GIs.

If Covid just affected women, we would probably be recommending all of Trump's crackpot notions. We have a horrible history of testing treatments for dogs more thoroughly than those for women.

If a doctor knows better about this than I do, I'd welcome comments.

• Like 1

i do think he's probably doing his best.  he's just really terrible at achieving or accomplishing things.

Yup. That he's doing his best is kind of the problem.

State of Maryland Emergency Management reporting for duty:

Wow. So there really are people that heard him say that and thought they should follow through. I'm speechless.

Does Trump have any comedic sense whatsoever?  I mean, I have seen him make sarcastic comments at rallies n' shit, so he is capable of sarcasm.  But I mean, does he understand that there's no way a rational person could have construed his comments yesterday on disinfectant as sarcastic?  There was no irony, no there was no mocking (other than directed at that one reporter), and there was no attempt to convey contempt (again, except to the reporter).  He has no comedic sense, no taste. 

Oh shit, he has no taste.  That's a symptom of the Covid-19, right?  

Does Trump have any comedic sense whatsoever?  I mean, I have seen him make sarcastic comments at rallies n' shit, so he is capable of sarcasm.  But I mean, does he understand that there's no way a rational person could have construed his comments yesterday on disinfectant as sarcastic?  There was no irony, no there was no mocking (other than directed at that one reporter), and there was no attempt to convey contempt (again, except to the reporter).  He has no comedic sense, no taste. 

Oh shit, he has no taste.  That's a symptom of the Covid-19, right?  

2 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

The difference is substantive.  BB was the place to discuss facts, ideas, theories, science, etc. CR was for partisan opinion.  That distinction used to hold between the two corresponding boards here, as well.

What happened was the partisan opinions of the remaining right wingers here became completely indefensible. They could not handle the barrage of legitimate, thoughtful criticism from posters covering a wide swath of the political spectrum. So they bailed to DT, where they can post crackpot pseudoscience sourced from propagandists without fear of being called out for partisan bias.  They’re reveling in the asymmetry.

Fuck it. Let those fools continue to talk themselves into stupid over on DT.  Their exodus allowed us to carved out a nice little niche where science and reasonable politics can be discussed in the same place.  

I'm probably one of the dumbest, and uneducated posters on this site, but i just don't see how this place is any better than the DT thread. I see this place as the reaction to Trump, and that's not a bad thing since Trump is a liar, egomaniac man who unfortunately runs our country. That doesn't mean everything in this thread is all knowing and true. The worst offender was the lady who drunk fish cleaner.

Anastasis, bernorange, EMAWsome, and Occasionally Axiom of Choice (when something deals with religion) come over and post. Other than that it's usually an echo chamber. I'm not saying it's a bad thing since it's good to get many different opinions, but it's usually the same opinion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I'm probably one of the dumbest, and uneducated posters on this site, but i just don't see how this place is any better than the DT thread. I see this place as the reaction to Trump, and that's not a bad thing since Trump is a liar, egomaniac man who unfortunately runs our country. That doesn't mean everything in this thread is all knowing and true. The worst offender was the lady who drunk fish cleaner.

The lady who drank fish cleaner posts on Surlyhorns?  Did I miss that?

4 hours ago, immamac said:

TBH I don't even read that thread anymore - it's filled with idiots with opinions just as bad as the entire government at this point. Suddenly everyone is a world class epidemiologist and an expert on pharmaceuticals.

It's all fucked up and we as a society are making it worse because everyone thinks they are special little snowflake - COVID19 summary for americans.

I feel for you man.  The DT thread is becoming an echo chamber and they are moving from crowdsourcing people through rep to crowdsourcing people through "THIS ISNT CR, THATS POLITICAL" reports to you.  My last post over there is a pretty good summary of how absurd that is getting.  Iconoclast posted something, I asked a question based on a pretty slanted post, and Im getting told my question is political.  My post wasnt political, it just doesnt align to the groupthink thats dominating that thread.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, workswithseed said:

No, but it was toughted as though Trump said to drink fish cleaner. They had a leap of logic that only Aggies can make.

He thinks windmills cause cancer, our stealth technology actually makes airplanes invisible to the naked eye, and exercise is bad for you because you are born with a finite amount of energy.

It wasn't that much of a leap.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Pinesol used to be sold as douche. Nobody tested silicon injection and implants before they were used by doctors to treat the official malady of small breastedness (labeling it a malady justified prescribing injections and implants as "treatment"). In Japan, prostitutes had their breasts enlarged by injecting motor coolant to attract bossom loving American GIs.

If Covid just affected women, we would probably be recommending all of Trump's crackpot notions. We have a horrible history of testing treatments for dogs more thoroughly than those for women.

If a doctor knows better about this than I do, I'd welcome comments.

Lysol actually.  Pine Sol is a little caustic even considering.

1*k0tQRNaRX8OJIrbbFKPURQ.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Red Five said:

1) He obviously wasn't being sarcastic, and needs to be called out on it today until he flips his shit.

2) I think it would actually be worse if he was being sarcastic, as opposed to just being stupid. 

"Mr. President, why is being sarcastic during the worst pandemic in 100 hundred years better than telling the truth and being an actual leader?"

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Anastasis, bernorange, EMAWsome, and Occasionally Axiom of Choice (when something deals with religion) come over and post. Other than that it's usually an echo chamber. I'm not saying it's a bad thing since it's good to get many different opinions, but it's usually the same opinion.

Also probably the most self-aware.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

I feel for you man.  The DT thread is becoming an echo chamber and they are moving from crowdsourcing people through rep to crowdsourcing people through "THIS ISNT CR, THATS POLITICAL" reports to you.  My last post over there is a pretty good summary of how absurd that is getting.  Iconoclast posted something, I asked a question based on a pretty slanted post, and Im getting told my question is political.  My post wasnt political, it just doesnt align to the groupthink thats dominating that thread.  

It's become a place for blatant name-calling. And that's fine, just don't pretend you are above it.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

he's live from the oval insisting yesterday's comment was "sarcasm".

he also said the post office "is a joke".

extra defensive today.  obviously.

Interesting. None of his loyal defenders offered the "sarcasm" defense in the last 18 hours.

21 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

The problem with the DT thread is that former CR posters are over there making both covert and overt political statements yet somehow get pissed when someone with a different political viewpoint says something they disagree with and get shouted down for cloaking up their totally-not-a-political thread.

It's become Surly's version of screaming "FAKE NEWS!!!" at anything they disagree with.

If they're going to be that insistent on restricting conversation, then ANY opinion on policy should be restricted to the political board. Same goes to batshit conspiracy discussion.

Edit: I'll add that the two boards ought to be treated like a newspaper. There's the News section discussing current events and analysis, and then there's the Op/Ed section for political opinions and partisanship. But, no, just like the broader mass media problem is that they want to live in their own little information bubble.

Edited by bolverk
  • Like 3

Just now, David Dennison said:

It's become a place for blatant name-calling. And that's fine, just don't pretend you are above it.

Above what?  Ive toed the line in the DT thread about political stuff.  I call out assholes for being assholes (this is still Surly, no?) but I dont try to crowdsource someone because they have a different opinion.  That thread is moving away from no politics to no posts that align with one bias.  Those arent the same thing.  

• Like 1

All the great comedians close their sets with sarcastic rants about cleansers, disinfectants, deodorizers, etc.  

Seinfeld has this bit about toilet cleaners that just absolutely kills.  

I mean, you saw how hard Dr. Birx was laughing yesterday at the press conference yesterday.  her reaction is all over the internet today, she can barely contain herself.

3 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Above what?  Ive toed the line in the DT thread about political stuff.  I call out assholes for being assholes (this is still Surly, no?) but I dont try to crowdsource someone because they have a different opinion.  That thread is moving away from no politics to no posts that align with one bias.  Those arent the same thing.  

I'm not criticizing you. I'm saying there are a bunch of "non-political" types over there who use that thread as a way to be straight up dicks to people they perceive as left of center.

Just now, David Dennison said:

I'm not criticizing you. I'm saying there are a bunch of "non-political" types over there who use that thread as a way to be straight up dicks to people they perceive as left of center.

Oh, no doubt.  That's the slant I'm talking about.  The only posts I see people flip the NO CR shit on are posts they perceive as left of center.  Doesn't even have to be remotely political, just not 'Murica enough.  

• Like 3

What could go wrong?

Republican governors across the Southeast are teaming up to reopen the region’s economy, even as they lack the testing to know how rapidly the coronavirus is spreading.

One health expert called the political decision a “perfect storm” for the virus to reassert itself.

The newly formed coalition includes Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Alabama and Mississippi, a part of the country that has underfunded health systems, as well as high rates of obesity, diabetes and other illnesses that amplify the deadliness of the coronavirus.

https://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2020/04/21/southern-governors-create-a-covid-19-coalition-and-experts-fear-a-perfect-storm-1278753

1 minute ago, TXSG8R said:

Oh, no doubt.  That's the slant I'm talking about.  The only posts I see people flip the NO CR shit on are posts they perceive as left of center.  Doesn't even have to be remotely political, just not 'Murica enough.  

Precisely. That's what set me off last weekend when one poster stated, without sarcasm, that I "hated America" for stating something to the effect that I understand that it feels good to point fingers and blame others for the virus but that we needed to also collectively reflect on the shortcomings of our own response.

31 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I'm sorry, are you asking why the thread that pretends to be non-political is any worse than the one which is admits to be political, when in reality, there isn't much difference between them?