CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

17 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

So, last night I went to bed in a relatively good mood because I signed off from the news/politics much earlier in the day than I normally do.  

This morning I thought I'd scan the headlines on reuters and I see this.  I know i have pages to catch up on here, but holy fucking shit.  I remember when "Idiocracy" made me laugh, but we quite literally have President Camacho and its not funny. Its horrifying and sad.  I started yelling and the kids are 'what's up' and I tell them that since they're young they don't get that as bad as politics is, it hasn't always been the ridiculous cartoon world they live in today.

Goddamnit, I miss feeling sane.  I miss not feeling like reading the news is the equivalent of taking crazy pills.

See, the thing is, a large portion of our mouth-breathing country thought it would be a good idea to hand the reins of state over to a reality TV host. A man with a long history of corporate bankruptcies and failures who had been reduced to hawking steaks and fake colleges before Mark Burnett threw him a bone. America thought this man would make a good president.

None of this tragedy is in any way surprising.

45 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't get the obsession with the DT thread.  Yes, there are magats in there, but they're mostly holding their tongues.

It is a very different discussion in there than in here.  I come in here to vent my spleen about Trump and the government.  And to get updates on the PCs**.

I go there to read the latest on disease models, infection and death rates, and country-by-country comparisons and such.

**the aggy calling Trump's idiot, stream-of-consciousness, word-salad rants "extemporaneous speaking" was hilarious.

You're reading a different thread than me. Every time discussion comes up about a new model, other country comparisons, ideas on different response options, or really anything at all that might be somewhat appear unfavorable to the US response if you squint really hard, then you get a chorus of people coming in and spouting ridiculous crap. If you try to point out that the ridiculous crap is ridiculous and not germane to the topic, you get jumped on and lambasted for daring to think that maybe a reasoned discourse shouldn't include absurd conspiracy theories. 

I'd love there to be a science only board where bullshit isn't allowed. I'm tired of only having this thread, which, while fun, also contains  a shit ton of (justified) whining, and the DT thread of nonsense. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 3

So, last night I went to bed in a relatively good mood because I signed off from the news/politics much earlier in the day than I normally do.  

This morning I thought I'd scan the headlines on reuters and I see this.  I know i have pages to catch up on here, but holy fucking shit.  I remember when "Idiocracy" made me laugh, but we quite literally have President Camacho and its not funny. Its horrifying and sad.  I started yelling and the kids are 'what's up' and I tell them that since they're young they don't get that as bad as politics is, it hasn't always been the ridiculous cartoon world they live in today.

Goddamnit, I miss feeling sane.  I miss not feeling like reading the news is the equivalent of taking crazy pills.

President Camacho may have been dumb, but he cared about shit. Like people. This guy only cares about himself.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

No we don't, president Camacho was smart enough to hire Not Sure onto his cabinet because he had tested as being the smartest man in the world.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't get the obsession with the DT thread.  Yes, there are magats in there, but they're mostly holding their tongues.

It is a very different discussion in there than in here.  I come in here to vent my spleen about Trump and the government.  And to get updates on the PCs**.

I go there to read the latest on disease models, infection and death rates, and country-by-country comparisons and such.

**the aggy calling Trump's idiot, stream-of-consciousness, word-salad rants "extemporaneous speaking" was hilarious.

There is hardly anything at all on disease models, infection, and death rates on the DT thread.  Its mostly a finger pointing blame thread.  Right now, its about blaming China.  Whenever any rates are actually posted, they are shouted down as manufactured.  The DT thread is more political than the CR thread.  However, neither of them are particularly informative.

This is what passes for non-political talk in the DT thread:

28 minutes ago, Hate said:

The mental gymnastics that some go through to try to paint the picture that China isn’t 100% culpable in this pandemic is staggering. The “is just as easily could have started here” bullshit is ridiculous. When a virus originates in the US and then the government lies about it to the rest of the world for at least two months leading to thousands of deaths and the worst economic downturn in 90 years, then you can start a thread about it and say “fuck the US” all you want. Until then, fuck China (the country not the people for those of you that really really want to make this a race thing).

3 hours ago, immamac said:

There is no way to only moderate posts in that thread or board for specific users. I have lifted several moderator queues for people who don't post in the dt thread and have self moderated away from it. Neither of you 2 have done that and still post there. 

Literally all I do with the mod queue is look at thread name if it's DT-Covid then I look at who it and hide the post if not I just spam the approve button.

You guys can't help yourselves and still post there so you stay in the queue. Most everyone else has been staying the fuck off the thread. There are also other threads on the site, like thousands of them. This isn't the fucking coronavirus message board it's a UT sports board. I'm not burning the whole site to the ground because less than 10 people can't control themselves in 1 thread during the worst off-season ever. 

What you don't realize is those handful of people drive off an order of magnitude more users because they can't just shut the fuck up about their God damned political equivalent of a sports team. 

There is a fucking thread and an entire board for that. It's this thread on the politics board it's really that simple. I'm not trying to trap any political ideologies anywhere I'm trying to keep polarizing attack politics and  off the NEWS AND CURRENT EVENTS board. 

Dealing with the mod queue is substantially easier than dealing with hundreds of reports for the same people over and over. 

Is there a waiting period to post in CR now?

50 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

You're reading a different thread than me. Every time discussion comes up about a new model, other country comparisons, ideas on different response options, or really anything at all that might be somewhat appear unfavorable to the US response if you squint really hard, then you get a chorus of people coming in and spouting ridiculous crap. If you try to point out that the ridiculous crap is ridiculous and not germane to the topic, you get jumped on and lambasted for daring to think that maybe a reasoned discourse shouldn't include absurd conspiracy theories. 

I'd love there to be a science only board where bullshit isn't allowed. I'm tired of only having this thread, which, while fun, also contains  a shit ton of (justified) whining, and the DT thread of nonsense. 

I dunno, maybe I have a good noise filter.  You were one poster in there I specifically had in mind that stuck to the topics at hand.

I'm not saying it's science only by any stretch.

Also, there are multiple graphs per page and there's none here, unless it's a tweet with political snark.

And while China's culpability is a hot topic, it's not in the context of Trump shifting blame from himself, it's fault vel non.

There is a difference between the threads.  I'm not going to pretend that you can or should divorce politics from the discussion, but there is a different set of information being discussed over there.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Anyone seen the new FDA announcement?

https://www.fda.gov/media/137250/download

Safety Announcement [04-24-2020]

What safety concern is FDA announcing?

The FDA is aware of reports of serious heart rhythm problems in patients with COVID-19 treated with hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine, often in combination with azithromycin and other QT prolonging medicines.

Hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine have not been shown to be safe and effective for treating or preventing COVID-19.

11 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

You guys started socially distancing when NY did. For those of us in NY, it was too late, but for the rest of the country it was right on time. Don't fuck it up.  This shit is bad.  You really don't want it to explode in your town. 

I have a lot of friends that have had it to varying degrees, including hospitalizations.  One of my best friends was in the hospital with it even and it seemed touch and go. Luckily, recovering now and never got to the ICU level.  But, to tell her account, one day, you feel kind of very bad but regular sick, the next, out of nowhere you are gasping for breath and collapse on the floor.  Then later, it seems to relent a little bit. Then it comes back hardcore.  Now, a month later and even recovered, she still has bad fatigue, which is again off and on. 

Nobody knows the long term effects of it either. 

I suppose I'm also lucky that the deaths I know are 2 degrees of separation so far, but I know 17 at 2 degrees, and these are family and friends of my friends and colleagues.  2 people in my building have died from it too. I didn't know them.

At the same time, I understand how odd it must feel to shelter in place in a place where you don't know anyone that has ever caught it, and maybe nobody actually has. However, you are doing the right thing. The shutdown is still surreal to me too. And I am right in the middle of it. 

Front line reports are so rare. Thanks for writing this. I'll repeat my complaint about the electronic media not finding a way to illuminate this story in the way you have.

The impact of this disease as so many more aspects than numbers reporting and science. There are very few accounts of what the experience of being amid a hotspot is all about. Again, thanks and best wishes for all.

10 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I dunno, maybe I have a good noise filter.  You were one poster in there I specifically had in mind that stuck to the topics at hand.

I'm not saying it's science only by any stretch.

Also, there are multiple graphs per page and there's none here, unless it's a tweet with political snark.

And while China's culpability is a hot topic, it's not in the context of Trump shifting blame from himself, it's fault vel non.

There is a difference between the threads.

Snark is a survival mechanism. We're all capable of getting the graphs. But, in the absence of real testing what is the point?

Overview on vaccine research and rollouts -https://www.cell.com/immunity/pdf/S1074-7613(20)30120-5.pdf

Available platforms/licenses/advantages/disadvantages of each platform::

spacer.png

Plus - cruel irony - smokers showing up with less risk of getting Covid-19 (but note the lack of reliable data we have seen with Covid). https://www.ibtimes.com/coronavirus-update-french-researchers-plan-test-nicotine-patches-covid-19-patients-2963563

Researchers from Hôpitaux de Paris and Pasteur Institute in France, tentatively, propose a hypothesis they hope might ultimately help save lives. New epidemiological data revealed that current smoking status appears to be a protective factor against SARS-CoV-2. Clinical trials of nicotine patches are awaiting approval from the country’s health authorities.

“We hypothesize that the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (nAChR) plays a key role in the pathophysiology of COVID-19 infection and might represent a target for the prevention and control of COVID-19 infection," said the researchers.

However, it is important to note that the researchers are not encouraging the public to take up smoking. Smoking carries potentially fatal health risks and can be fatal to about 50% of those who do. The researchers highlighted that, while nicotine might protect individuals from the deadly novel coronavirus, smokers who have caught it often develop more serious symptoms due to the toxic effect of tobacco on the lungs.

• Like 4

So I googled Stormy Daniel's bleached asshole this morning, and it brought up a picture of Lysol and Trump.  

Edited by Lobo

9 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

This is what passes for non-political talk in the DT thread:

Not that I don't think China bears some blame for having unsanitary markets, but I really don't see too many problems with the way China handled and responded to it once it was known to exist.  Their infection and death rates look pretty doctored, but I don't think they held back any other knowledge for a long enough time to have decreased the spread.  They were fairly open and quick with info in December and January, and they locked down Wuhan with military roadblocks on January 23.  We were still pretending it wasn't serious then.  I mean, countries put cities under martial law all the time for the common cold, right?

Then again, their infection and death rates could be close to accurate.  After all, they implemented an actual quarantine with severe consequences for those who tried to break it.  Ours remains "pretty please stay home, but we won't really do anything if you don't."  Easy to see why we would struggle more than them to stem the spread.

Our biggest mistake was that while we were calling it the Chinese virus and trying to shut down travel only to/from China, it was already spreading in Europe.  And Europe is what really brought it to our doorstep.

9 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Plus - cruel irony - smokers showing up with less risk of getting Covid-19 (but note the lack of reliable data we have seen with Covid). https://www.ibtimes.com/coronavirus-update-french-researchers-plan-test-nicotine-patches-covid-19-patients-2963563

Blah blah blah.....half of Surly tomorrow:

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Yeah, but 57 states.

By the way--it's taken me a lot of time to figure out where Obama got "57 states," but I think I finally figured it out.  He made the comment in May 2008, during the primaries.  And there are 57 primaries/caucuses in the Democratic nomination process--i.e., the 50 states plus the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, the US Virgin Islands, Northern Marianas, American Samoa, and Democrats Abroad.

And having figured that out, I now feel really fucking stupid for thinking it was a major flub by him.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

By the way--it's taken me a lot of time to figure out where Obama got "57 states," but I think I finally figured it out.  He made the comment in May 2008, during the primaries.  And there are 57 primaries/caucuses in the Democratic nomination process--i.e., the 50 states plus the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, the US Virgin Islands, Northern Marianas, American Samoa, and Democrats Abroad.

And having figured that out, I now feel really fucking stupid for thinking it was a major flub by him.

Yeah, I actually put that together recently too. Life is pretty hazy now but I think it was actually trump in a briefing who said something about "57 states and territories" and it instantly clicked. 

3 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I think he ran out of Grey Poupon and was thinking of using Heinz 57 instead and accidently blurted 57 out.  That's my theory.

12 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

7 minutes ago, seven said:

Yeah, I actually put that together recently too. Life is pretty hazy now but I think it was actually trump in a briefing who said something about "57 states and territories" and it instantly clicked. 

Trump would never be president if...

White-Obama.jpg

Saw this story about 70 percent of the hospital admission for this virus in the NY system didn't report having fever. Having trouble verifying it because I'm only seeing it on rawstory . Com and Alertnet . Com. Story just came out yesterday.

Does anyone know anything about these sites?

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/04/study-out-of-new-york-may-change-everything-we-thought-we-knew-about-fevers-and-coronavirus/

2 hours ago, DigDug said:

I have yet to run across a maga that will sincerely address Trump's inability to tell the truth.  

Any rational sane person can tell he has a narcissistic disorder on a dangerous level.  It's the crux of everything.

Of course I guess if they were honest and could admit that, they wouldn't be maga.

On facebook, an acquaintance from high school whom I've always thought to be bright wrote a negative opinion of the press for going after Trump in his press conferences. A few Trumpists piped in that he was working hard, doing his best, what did anyone expect, and oh how evil his critics are.

I wanted to probe the defense of his lying without stating an opinion of my own.

"Do you have an opinion about his lying?"

Dead quiet for a full day before the high school acquaintance posted a "no comment" with a couple of magnifying glass emojis. I just responded with the :o to keep it light. She's nice and interesting. I have trouble thinking she's malign.

I think I'll do this with other Trump supporters. Ask the question with as much neutrality as possible. If you are aware that Trump is a liar, then a "both sides" argument really doesn't hold any more than pointing at a crucifix as justifying crucifying someone. If you are not aware that Trump is liar...well, you're a hopeless fuckwad who shouldn't be allowed to drive a car or clothe yourself.

Lying is a basic wrong. Maybe a few decent people are still around to be pulled from the Trump sympathizers. The tone of the facebook post was more sympathy for Trump than the usual, "fuck you, commie, he's the best evah!"

Edited by RomaVicta
I'm evidently turning into a Russian. Articles are disappearing from my work.