CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Breitbarf's "fact check":

CLAIM: President Donald Trump suggested injecting people with disinfectant to cure coronavirus.

VERDICT: False. Trump was speaking generally about new information about sunlight, heat, and disinfectant killing the virus.

President Trump is being quoted out of context — as usual — by left-wingers on social media who are accusing him of suggesting injecting people with disinfectant as a way of curing coronavirus infections.

Trump used the word “inject,” but what he meant was using a process — which he left “medical doctors” to define — in which patients’ lungs might be cleared of the virus, given new knowledge about its response to light and other factors.

Earlier in the briefing, Dr. Bill Bryant, leader of the Science and Technology Directorate at the Department of Homeland Security, described the results of new government research that showed that the coronavirus did not survive long in solar light, warmer temperatures, and more humid conditions. He added that disinfectants had also been effective against it.

Trump, responding to that, noted that there had been discussions of testing ultraviolet light on patients, or of methods to bring light inside the body. “And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it [the virus] out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside, or almost a cleaning, cause you see it gets in the lungs.”

At no time did Trump actually propose injecting patients with disinfectant; he deferred to “medical doctors” to figure out how to apply Dr. Bryant’s research.

When ABC News’ Jonathan Karl asked Dr. Bryant about whether the president had proposed injecting a person with “bleach and isopropyl alcohol” later, Trump clarified that “It wouldn’t be through injection,” and that he was talking about “cleaning, sterilization of an area,” and about applying the disinfectant to “a stationary object.”

Apparently there is no accusation too crazy for Trump’s critics to believe.

There is no way to only moderate posts in that thread or board for specific users. I have lifted several moderator queues for people who don't post in the dt thread and have self moderated away from it. Neither of you 2 have done that and still post there. 

Literally all I do with the mod queue is look at thread name if it's DT-Covid then I look at who it and hide the post if not I just spam the approve button.

You guys can't help yourselves and still post there so you stay in the queue. Most everyone else has been staying the fuck off the thread. There are also other threads on the site, like thousands of them. This isn't the fucking coronavirus message board it's a UT sports board. I'm not burning the whole site to the ground because less than 10 people can't control themselves in 1 thread during the worst off-season ever. 

What you don't realize is those handful of people drive off an order of magnitude more users because they can't just shut the fuck up about their God damned political equivalent of a sports team. 

There is a fucking thread and an entire board for that. It's this thread on the politics board it's really that simple. I'm not trying to trap any political ideologies anywhere I'm trying to keep polarizing attack politics and  off the NEWS AND CURRENT EVENTS board. 

Dealing with the mod queue is substantially easier than dealing with hundreds of reports for the same people over and over. 

• Like 5

Meanwhile, on TexAgs:

Very awkward but he did walk it back a little. Towards the end he centered on heat and UV - My guess he was thinking filtering blood through heat/uv to reduce the viral load in the body. Have to agree its worth a quick review so long as it does not deflect from more promising therapeutics. Alcohol no need, I am doing a great job of keeping those percentages up.
Pretty funny, but I don't think it should cause anyone to think less of Trump. People say dumb stuff sometimes. Let's hear you talk about a subject you don't understand for an hour every day. He doesn't know a lot and doesn't claim to, which is fine.

but Obama!

Meh. Trump does more extemporaneous speaking in 20 minutes than Barry's handlers let him do during his entire presidency.

Anyone speaking off the cuff that much is gonna sound dumb here and there. Barry was a babbling teenager every time he looked away from the prompter

Lessons from the business world:

That's what I was thinking. He just sounds like an old business guy. I've on occasion had meetings with guys like that, who you know wore blue shirts with white collars back in the day, and you try to explain exactly what your next steps or goals are, in a way that sounds perfectly clear to you. And then comes the "wouldn't be easier if we just..." And you're left silent for a minute while you try to reword and explain again.

He certainly wasn't suggesting anyone "inject Lysol." But was probably summarizing like 2 minutes of a conversation with the experts in his own words.

Leave Donald Trump ALONE!

Quote:
He clearly did not suggest anyone ingest lysol or cut themselves open for lights to get in. He asked if we have things that can clearly kill the virus how could doctors find a way to implement that in an infected person. He is asking if that information would be helpful to doctors and is looking at the doctors while he talks. Don't be so literal as he clearly wasn't. He was trying to start a conversation that I don't think was going anywhere
This. He's been doing this how many days straight? We know the man barely sleeps. It's a bad soundbite true it makes it sound awful and of course people like Baller and TDSers, Democrats and other people that don't like him are gonna jump on it and ridicule him and fine that's what it is.

He wants to help people and get this done and he's just thinking out loud and the words came out disjointed. You would think people would give him a ****ing break for getting up there every ******* day and talking and trying to help people of this country but no they're going to nitpick on every ******* little thing. Little ****s who can't appreciate a damn thing the man does.

@Anastasis level false equivilance

I find it hilarious that anti-trumpers are calling out trump on something that is (yes) stupid on the surface at least. When you've got Corn Pop's buddy Biden out there making 10 times as many assanine comments in just a 1 minute prescripted sound bite. The double-standard is incredible.

Maybe he's on to something

Funny these report others who Jump to immediate conclusion really just need the crap kicked out of them. It is beyond tiresome to listen to.

So funny this comes up today. I was listening to Doctor radio podcast on Saturday and a caller called in and suggested why not rinse the inside of the lungs out with soapy water since soapy water has proved to Kill Covid19. All of the doctors said it was a great question!

The procedure was described as a technique known as lung lavage, or lung washing, to flush the surfactant build-up from the lungs. Clinicians insert twin endotracheal tubes into the lungs while the patient is under anesthesia. They stream saline into one while the other receives oxygen to keep the patient breathing.

So everyone who said "trump is so dumb, I can't believe he said that.....so hard to listen to"......really need to stop reacting to anything the press says. The press are most likely not science majors.....heck they probably never had a science course in their life now want to pretend like they understand medical science.

I'm in

Does Trump say random, off the wall **** sometimes? Absolutely. Will I still vote for him over someone who's trying to restrict my personal freedom? Bring on the Lysol!
geoag58
In reply to BallerStaf2003  12:37a, 4/24/20
President Trump did not say what you wrote in the bolded part. Why are you lying about that. Oh yea you hate President Trump. He merely suggested that there may be something, (for those with reading comprehension issues like you) that would mean a substance other than lysol,(he did not mean or say inject lysol) which could be injected and kill the virus quickly.
And given President Trumps track record of being right and the idiots, who try and play gotcha with President Trump, being wrong, I expect a substance to be found any day that can be injected into the body or aeresolized and breathed into the lungs that will rapidly kill the virus.

FACT CHECK

RAB91

'FACT CHECK: No, Trump Did Not Tell People To 'Inject Themselves With Disinfectant' Or 'Drink Bleach''
https://www.dailywire.com/news/fact-check-no-trump-did-not-tell-people-to-inject-themselves-with-disinfectant-or-drink-bleach?

• Like 2

So, reading that thread, they have a ton of comments about Biden saying really stupid stuff. I'm just curious, what the fuck are they talking about. I've seen it alluded to by some of the posters here as well (you know the ones), but I've never seen any specifics. The stuff I've seen from Biden has looked like generic politician speak. Any idea what mistakes by Biden they are referring to? Or are they just making it up?

28 minutes ago, immamac said:

There is no way to only moderate posts in that thread or board for specific users. I have lifted several moderator queues for people who don't post in the dt thread and have self moderated away from it. Neither of you 2 have done that and still post there. 

Literally all I do with the mod queue is look at thread name if it's DT-Covid then I look at who it and hide the post if not I just spam the approve button.

You guys can't help yourselves and still post there so you stay in the queue. Most everyone else has been staying the fuck off the thread. There are also other threads on the site, like thousands of them. This isn't the fucking coronavirus message board it's a UT sports board. I'm not burning the whole site to the ground because less than 10 people can't control themselves in 1 thread during the worst off-season ever. 

What you don't realize is those handful of people drive off an order of magnitude more users because they can't just shut the fuck up about their God damned political equivalent of a sports team. 

There is a fucking thread and an entire board for that. It's this thread on the politics board it's really that simple. I'm not trying to trap any political ideologies anywhere I'm trying to keep polarizing attack politics and  off the NEWS AND CURRENT EVENTS board. 

Dealing with the mod queue is substantially easier than dealing with hundreds of reports for the same people over and over. 

🙄 the discussion regarding testing, reopening the economy and the national response cannot be divorced from politics. Kemp’s decision is politically driven. But whatever. Keep me moderated for another week. You and the Trumpist snowflakes can have your safe space where everyone pretends our President isn’t telling people to eat moonbeams and drink bleach, and I won’t post over there

• Like 5

That ag thread reminds me Hugh Hewitt trying to clarify Trump's claim that Obama was the founder of ISIS by saying Trump was pointing out a power vacuum (that somehow was Obama's fault) allowing the creation of ISIS only to have Trump double down with "No, I meant he's the founder of ISIS".

But THIS TIME libtards are just misconstruing his words.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

🙄 the discussion regarding testing, reopening the economy and the national response cannot be divorced from politics. Kemp’s decision is politically driven. But whatever. Keep me moderated for another week. You and the Trumpist snowflakes can have your safe space where everyone pretends our President isn’t telling people to eat moonbeams and drink bleach, and I won’t post over there

TBH I don't even read that thread anymore - it's filled with idiots with opinions just as bad as the entire government at this point. Suddenly everyone is a world class epidemiologist and an expert on pharmaceuticals.

It's all fucked up and we as a society are making it worse because everyone thinks they are special little snowflake - COVID19 summary for americans.

• Like 6

There probably shouldn't be a thread on this topic that doesn't include politics. It's impossible to have especially when the president is a proven imbecile and is driving the narrative of stupidity while causing all of us to be inundated with this societal wide shutdown and suffering far longer than we needed to be. 

If you want to make things easier and get rid of a source of terrible bad information then just delete all threads pertaining to this in DT. Keep that only for other things not having anything to do with the idiot led government. 

Edited by Wanker Bob
  • Like 4

56 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

Breitbarf's "fact check":

CLAIM: President Donald Trump suggested injecting people with disinfectant to cure coronavirus.

VERDICT: False. Trump was speaking generally about new information about sunlight, heat, and disinfectant killing the virus.

President Trump is being quoted out of context — as usual — by left-wingers on social media who are accusing him of suggesting injecting people with disinfectant as a way of curing coronavirus infections.

Trump used the word “inject,” but what he meant was using a process — which he left “medical doctors” to define — in which patients’ lungs might be cleared of the virus, given new knowledge about its response to light and other factors.

Earlier in the briefing, Dr. Bill Bryant, leader of the Science and Technology Directorate at the Department of Homeland Security, described the results of new government research that showed that the coronavirus did not survive long in solar light, warmer temperatures, and more humid conditions. He added that disinfectants had also been effective against it.

Trump, responding to that, noted that there had been discussions of testing ultraviolet light on patients, or of methods to bring light inside the body. “And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it [the virus] out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside, or almost a cleaning, cause you see it gets in the lungs.”

At no time did Trump actually propose injecting patients with disinfectant; he deferred to “medical doctors” to figure out how to apply Dr. Bryant’s research.

When ABC News’ Jonathan Karl asked Dr. Bryant about whether the president had proposed injecting a person with “bleach and isopropyl alcohol” later, Trump clarified that “It wouldn’t be through injection,” and that he was talking about “cleaning, sterilization of an area,” and about applying the disinfectant to “a stationary object.”

Apparently there is no accusation too crazy for Trump’s critics to believe.

Breitbart with the “Excuse me, I speak jive” defense of President Covfefe.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Meanwhile, on TexAgs:

but Obama!

Lessons from the business world:

Leave Donald Trump ALONE!

@Anastasis level false equivilance

Maybe he's on to something

I'm in

FACT CHECK

The push back to defend Trump from the right always brings me joy. The fact that the media and manufacturer's of Lysol and Clorox have to come out and say "please don't inject/ingest our products" just reinforces the idea that the majority of those still supporting and following Trump are some dumb mother fuckers.

I am cracking up again watching this clip getting replayed on the morning shows, especially how Trump breaks down and walks us through his epiphany-

You know, I was just sittin' there, lookin' at this disinfectant. And then I looked at the sun. I mean lookin' right at it. Starin'! AND THEN IT OCCURRED TO ME...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

EWX9bJ1XkAMPfbd?format=jpg&name=large

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/06/underlying-conditions/610261/

The purest embodiment of political nihilism is not Trump himself but his son-in-law and senior adviser, Jared Kushner. In his short lifetime, Kushner has been fraudulently promoted as both a meritocrat and a populist. He was born into a moneyed real-estate family the month Ronald Reagan entered the Oval Office, in 1981—a princeling of the second Gilded Age. Despite Jared’s mediocre academic record, he was admitted to Harvard after his father, Charles, pledged a $2.5 million donation to the university. Father helped son with $10 million in loans for a start in the family business, then Jared continued his elite education at the law and business schools of NYU, where his father had contributed $3 million. Jared repaid his father’s support with fierce loyalty when Charles was sentenced to two years in federal prison in 2005 for trying to resolve a family legal quarrel by entrapping his sister’s husband with a prostitute and videotaping the encounter.

Jared Kushner failed as a skyscraper owner and a newspaper publisher, but he always found someone to rescue him, and his self-confidence only grew. In American Oligarchs, Andrea Bernstein describes how he adopted the outlook of a risk-taking entrepreneur, a “disruptor” of the new economy. Under the influence of his mentor Rupert Murdoch, he found ways to fuse his financial, political, and journalistic pursuits. He made conflicts of interest his business model.

So when his father-in-law became president, Kushner quickly gained power in an administration that raised amateurism, nepotism, and corruption to governing principles. As long as he busied himself with Middle East peace, his feckless meddling didn’t matter to most Americans. But since he became an influential adviser to Trump on the coronavirus pandemic, the result has been mass death.

In his first week on the job, in mid-March, Kushner co-authored the worst Oval Office speech in memory, interrupted the vital work of other officials, may have compromised security protocols, flirted with conflicts of interest and violations of federal law, and made fatuous promises that quickly turned to dust. “The federal government is not designed to solve all our problems,” he said, explaining how he would tap his corporate connections to create drive-through testing sites. They never materialized. He was convinced by corporate leaders that Trump should not use presidential authority to compel industries to manufacture ventilators—then Kushner’s own attempt to negotiate a deal with General Motors fell through. With no loss of faith in himself, he blamed shortages of necessary equipment and gear on incompetent state governors.

To watch this pale, slim-suited dilettante breeze into the middle of a deadly crisis, dispensing business-school jargon to cloud the massive failure of his father-in-law’s administration, is to see the collapse of a whole approach to governing. It turns out that scientific experts and other civil servants are not traitorous members of a “deep state”—they’re essential workers, and marginalizing them in favor of ideologues and sycophants is a threat to the nation’s health. It turns out that “nimble” companies can’t prepare for a catastrophe or distribute lifesaving goods—only a competent federal government can do that. It turns out that everything has a cost, and years of attacking government, squeezing it dry and draining its morale, inflict a heavy cost that the public has to pay in lives. All the programs defunded, stockpiles depleted, and plans scrapped meant that we had become a second-rate nation. Then came the virus and this strange defeat.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

There probably shouldn't be a thread on this topic that doesn't include politics. It's impossible to have especially when the president is a proven imbecile and is driving the narrative of stupidity while causing all of us to be inundated with this societal wide shutdown and suffering far longer than we needed to be. 

If you want to make things easier and get rid of a source of terrible bad information then just delete all threads pertaining to this in DT. Keep that only for other things not having anything to do with the idiot led government. 

I think that's the point that @immamac is ignoring.  Our response to the pandemic is necessarily going to be coordinated by the government.  And that means that it is inherently political.  It is simply impossible to have a truly apolitical discussion about this topic.  And so when you try to do so, you end up drawing arbitrary lines that--whether in reality or purely in perception--favor one side or the other.

• Like 10

42 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

If we did that we'd be restricting CTJ to insulting people in the recruiting forum.

I think that's the point that [mention=397]immamac[/mention] is ignoring.  Our response to the pandemic is necessarily going to be coordinated by the government.  And that means that it is inherently political.  It is simply impossible to have a truly apolitical discussion about this topic.  And so when you try to do so, you end up drawing arbitrary lines that--whether in reality or purely in perception--favor one side or the other.

Yeah, it's why I just crack jokes in the DT thread now. Politics is the process of setting and executing public policy. Federal, state, and local response are by definition political. The fact that president aggy is/was a major factor in getting us where we are amplifies that.

The only apolitical discussions are medical studies and how to help others. And even the medical bit turns political when the president pedals hcq or disinfectant or whatever other nonsense and people gobble it up.

I don't get the obsession with the DT thread.  Yes, there are magats in there, but they're mostly holding their tongues.

It is a very different discussion in there than in here.  I come in here to vent my spleen about Trump and the government.  And to get updates on the PCs**.

I go there to read the latest on disease models, infection and death rates, and country-by-country comparisons and such.

**the aggy calling Trump's idiot, stream-of-consciousness, word-salad rants "extemporaneous speaking" was hilarious.

47 minutes ago, Red Five said:

No he definitely mentioned injecting disinfectants. Classic Trump though because it’s so nonsensical, it’s easy to say “oh well that’s not what he meant, and the problem is with you, libtard.”

No, no, no stupid libtard. He meant injecting it into the conversation. Doesn’t that make more sense?

I remember back on the shit site when the Republicans had taken over CR, and all the Democrats went to BB and when one of the CR rats would escape his cage y'all would bitch. This is no different. I would take a guess that if America was run by you lot we would live in a Utopia. A brave New surly world.

2 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I remember back on the shit site when the Republicans had taken over CR, and all the Democrats went to BB and when one of the CR rats would escape his cage y'all would bitch. This is no different. I would take a guess that if America was run by you lot we would live in a Utopia. A brave New surly world.

It wouldn't be Utopia.  But at this point, an America that is a bucket of solidly performed turds would be a HUGE step up from the fetid bucket of verbal and intellectual diarrhea that we've currently got, so there ya go.

• Like 1

It seems to me it would be far easier to disallow ad hominem attacks on DT, whether it's an attack on a poster or a politician.  Allow that kind of shit-flinging here, where most of us engage at one level or another.

The rank hypocrisy regarding the level of vitriol that IS allowed and what ISN'T is, in my opinion, indefensible.  But, it isn't my board.  I got a short timeout because on two occasions I quite literally didn't remember I was on DT instead of CR, and so I make a couple of snarky remarks about Trump and right-wingers.  I mean, they were pretty mild compared to what I've said over here, but that was pure dumb luck on my part -- I thought I was over here, I was just being a milder version of myself.  The fact is, when CTJ is flinging his bullshit far and wide it SEEMS like one on the political board.  He's a special snowflake, though.  He gets a pass on everything.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I don't remember that, but I was a supid ass L back then.

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Look, it's pretty clear that the biggest, melty-est snowflakes in the world are Trumpkins.  They can't defend their God, so they simply attack all criticism -- "why do you have to make everything [even topics that are heavily political by their nature] political?"  "Go back to the CR [and stay out of my safe space]!"  They are every bit the intellectual coward that their Godking is.

I have yet to run across a maga that will sincerely address Trump's inability to tell the truth.  

Any rational sane person can tell he has a narcissistic disorder on a dangerous level.  It's the crux of everything.

Of course I guess if they were honest and could admit that, they wouldn't be maga.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

So, last night I went to bed in a relatively good mood because I signed off from the news/politics much earlier in the day than I normally do.  

This morning I thought I'd scan the headlines on reuters and I see this.  I know i have pages to catch up on here, but holy fucking shit.  I remember when "Idiocracy" made me laugh, but we quite literally have President Camacho and its not funny. Its horrifying and sad.  I started yelling and the kids are 'what's up' and I tell them that since they're young they don't get that as bad as politics is, it hasn't always been the ridiculous cartoon world they live in today.

Goddamnit, I miss feeling sane.  I miss not feeling like reading the news is the equivalent of taking crazy pills.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

i don't remember that at all.

• Like 1