CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I'd say the worst case scenario is that it was created by the Trump administration and foisted (foistered?) on the world as a false flag operation in order to frame China. 

How about that? 

Would be possible except the trump administration can't even hold a press conference without fucking it up. Zero chance they have the aptitude to genetically modify a Coronavirus covertly and deliver it to Wuhan. They definitely would if they could

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

As 26 million Americans lose their jobs, the billionaire class gains 308 billion in net worth:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/26/heads-we-win-tails-you-lose-how-americas-rich-have-turned-pandemic-into-profit

There's gonna be a revolution
Well you know
We all wanna change the world

The wealth tax is coming. 

• Like 1

Just now, Wanker Bob said:

Would be possible except the trump administration can't even hold a press conference without fucking it up. Zero chance they have the aptitude to genetically modify a Coronavirus covertly and deliver it to Wuhan. They definitely would if they could

Putin could.  If we’re gonna take a deep dive down the wormhole, let’s go all the way.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Putin could.  If we’re gonna take a deep dive down the wormhole, let’s go all the way.

the big lebowski dude GIF

Xi Jinping definitely has the resources to do so as well. I don't think this coronavirus is that, I think it's either an accidental leak from a virology lab or just a straight animal-to-human transmission that the Chinese government covered up to try to contain covertly. That said, now that we've shown our ass on the global stage any enemy with the means and motivation may be rushing to genetically modify a biological contagion. If nothing else it might be something on the back burner to hold back just in case America gets too aggressive with the military. 

Giving your enemies a roadmap to your Achilles heel is never a good idea. 

Edited by Wanker Bob
  • Like 1

Without saying that this is what happened, people working in labs can inadvertently get sick from working with the materials. It happens. Wasn't there an lab tech at the CDC who got Ebola? There doesn't have to be anything nefarious about it. However, as Brisket pointed out, there are folks who have an agenda who would simply use anything up to and including manufactured lies to promote that agenda, which is mainly--getting Trump re-elected and pocketing as much money as they can. Based on the income disparity posted earlier, the first part of the agenda appears to be going swimmingly, and now the percentage of Americans who can steer their eyes away from the laser pointer at Wuhan (for now) and focus on this country long enough to stem the pandemic and get Demento Donald out of the WH can return to address relations with China in the future.

Edit--Wanker Bob addressed the accident part in his post; or like intel suggested it just happened because that is not unlike what happened here with the H1N1 in terms of animal to human transmission.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
addition

39 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, I mean, that...and the fact that “deflect from Trump, always come back to blaming China” is LITERALLY a known GOP talking point. Like, the memo got released and everything, telling the loyalists to the regime to do exactly that. So, we’re not even connecting dots...it’s one dot. A dot that says “no matter what, blame China.” When you’re singing the exact song put out on sheet music and distributed by the regime for the stated purpose of propaganda, nobody with any intelligence is going to believe you when you say “but I just liked the melody, it was catchy.”

I said as much in my immediate prior post.  Bighorn came in bitching about China, FondrenRoad took him to task for implicitly absolving Trump and we had a nice little talk-past-one-another session.

15 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

I think it's mostly there's very little we can do as American voters punitive-wise (Super Double Trade War!) towards China, while there's a lot more we can do cooperation-wise, that we were previously engaged in, that would translate more effectively regarding future epi/pandemics- numerous of which will not even originate there. It's a wildly ineffective use of airspace. 

Don't disagree.  But I'm kind of perennially pissed off at China for a multitude of reasons and I like to bitch, so I'm down with China bitching.  Without absolving Trump.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

As 26 million Americans lose their jobs, the billionaire class gains 308 billion in net worth:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/26/heads-we-win-tails-you-lose-how-americas-rich-have-turned-pandemic-into-profit

Well you know

Wealth inequality, in and of itself, is merely a pointed gun aimed at the masses simply waiting for the inevitable, periodic crisis when inevitable "drastic" decisions will have to be made and feign reluctance with a shrug as it acquiesces to the feudalism it wanted all along. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

I can’t wait for you to have this same opinion when Black Lives Matter start protesting while armed to the teeth.

Or abortion rights groups.

Or Muslims.

As long as they feel the government isn’t carrying out their will, you’ll be cool with that, right?

It won't matter...he will be able to act cool with it while law enforcement does his bidding. 

2 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Well you know

guillotine-300x225.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I said as much in my immediate prior post.  Bighorn came in bitching about China, FondrenRoad took him to task for implicitly absolving Trump and we had a nice little talk-past-one-another session.

It's not that I'm bitching about China, it's the fact that we can't separate the politics from the original issue at hand-- all indications are that this virus originated in a wet market in Wuhan China. We also know China covered up critical information. It's also true that trump and his ilk have completely fucked us via willful ignorance in our response, and have delayed our rebound by trying to discredit science any chance they get. Both governments suck coronavirus asshole. 

But it's like you said earlier and you were able to phrase this problem better than I did. There's some people who equate criticism of China as a pass for trump's responsibility in the crisis. To me this is dangerous because it ultimately gets made out to be about racial fears instead of what it should be about-- the progress of mankind. 

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Why can't Texans just agree to put beans in their chili? Hello! We can't get China to stop driving the poaching industry because they think powdered elephant and rhinoceros horns are aphrodisiacs, either. Let's worry about what we can control. 

Shall we all agree to vote for Xi Jinping's opponent in the next election? Oh right, we can't, even if there was one, which there won't be because he's President for life. That's something Trump thought was pretty cool and suggested maybe we should try that here. Just joking, right? Nudge nudge, wink wink. So let's worry about what we can control and vote for Biden in the next election because Trump is a threat to national security and public health.

I don't want to rip off Bill Maher, who made some good points in his New Rules segment a couple weeks ago, so I'll just post that here. Genetic mutation happens everywhere. Are we doing as much as we can here at home to make sure the next new contagion doesn't make the leap from animals to humans?

I think we can get some control on China but again, it would have to be a global effort. North Korea, Cuba and Iran are not exempt from paying consequences, why should China?

As to Maher's point, absolutely. We need a better system in place for meat producers. But right now, to me at least, this is the same type of distraction (argument made) Democrats don't want and ironically, a pompous display of narcissism to boot (who gives a fuck who has and who hasn't seen tiger king anyways?) Bill can think it's "looking highly upon ourselves" to criticize wet markets all he wants. Chicken farms are at least regulated and monitored. I hadn't even heard of that flu outbreak in SC he referenced and I'm sure that threat has been contained since or is close to. Why can't China handle their outbreaks similarly? 

It's an important issue that needs to be eventually addressed. I don't see the comparison as apples to apples, though. 

2 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

It's not that I'm bitching about China, it's the fact that we can't separate the politics from the original issue at hand-- all indications are that this virus originated in a wet market in Wuhan China.

The principle suspect for patient zero never went to the wet market and neither did about a third of the earliest known cases, so the wet market could not have been the origin. It was only a significant place where it spread. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

36 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I see no appreciable difference in the Chinese government’s response and the American government response.

Let’s imagine an American lab released this virus through shitty oversight and lax regulations or if it originated in hillbillies eating roadkill.

Y’all really think Trump and his administration of lying shitbaskets wouldn’t have lies and covered up and hid the numbers?

Come on, man.

THEY’RE DOING THAT RIGHT NOW.

And Fox News would have played the role of state television.

AS THEY ARE DOING RIGHT NOW.

The only saving grace is that America still has other media and some government entities to shine a light and call bullshit.

For now.

The Chinese government started fucking this donkey but Trump and his government are following right along with the same behavior.

kushner went on the record today with more self-congratulations. we have been quietly morphing into china or north korea at the highest levels of govt and about 25% of the population is already cool with it.

its hard to tell the difference sometimes. but i’m sure they’ll let fauci testify. 

3 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I think we can get some control on China but again, it would have to be a global effort. North Korea, Cuba and Iran are not exempt from paying consequences, why should China?

Edited by SaucyJack
welcome to the jungle

3 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

The Chinese government started fucking this donkey but Trump and his government are following right along with the same behavior.

So you're saying the jump from animal to human happened in Nuevo Laredo?

4 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

This is an accurate depiction and I'm glad someone as hardcore blue as you can see the whole picture. 

4 hours ago, RayDog said:

The principle suspect for patient zero never went to the wet market and neither did about a third of the earliest known cases, so the wet market could not have been the origin. It was only a significant place where it spread. 

This is the first I'm hearing of this. Care to share a link? Not trying to be an ass and sorry if it's already common knowledge to the thread. I embrace science and accurate reporting so if that's the case, I have no qualms admitting when I'm wrong. 

2 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

This is an accurate depiction and I'm glad someone as hardcore blue as you can see the whole picture. 

This is the first I'm hearing of this. Care to share a link? Not trying to be an ass and sorry if it's already common knowledge to the thread. I embrace science and accurate reporting so if that's the case, I have no qualms admitting when I'm wrong. 

https://www.livescience.com/first-case-coronavirus-found.html

Here is one of many links. The earliest officially identified case was from November 17 and had not been to the wet market. Neither had several others.

You should really be better informed before calling someone out since this news was everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bruh Man said:

A lot of them probably agree with the protesters. 

On other topics, probably, but on this one, doubtful. Cops are more worried about infection than the general populace is. 

They show restraint here because they won't survive the backlash.

Edited by FondrenRoad

Guest Lobo
1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Whiteness has its privileges. 

Yeah, I used to think that was a lot of SJW bullshit, but armed white people are telling cops to go fuck themselves while they push them nearly to the ground and they're not only are they not getting arrested, they're almost being encouraged.  

Police brutality on people darker than Edgar Winter sickens me, but if any of you police wanna relieve some stress and haul off and beat the shit out of one of these redneck assholes and claim your body cam was undergoing a software update at the time, I am totally cool with it and will happily donate to the FOP charity of your choice.  

15 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

No, China isn't the primary issue. Every virus is going to come from somewhere. Shutting down potential sources of new viruses is a secondary issue. Your * also shows you know this.

Also, before we start dumb trade war part 2 with China, we should actually fix our own internal supply chain first. Also, we need to consider the precedent that would be set by applying sanctions to a country of virus origin. Once we do it, it will become the thing that is done, and while some people like to pretend all viruses come from China, they don't.

Either way, the current administration doesn't have the competence, patience, or tact to accomplish anything.  We should wait for a Biden presidency so we can discourage wet markets through diplomatic pressure rather than a sanctions war, and so that we can establish a federally regulated supply chain for essential inputs. 

Excellent points.  We're far too intertwined with China to effectuate any kind of economic sanctions, however competent the administration.

And, you're right, as long as China's behavior is not shown to have been intentional in the sense that they deliberately loosed a virus on the world, the precedent set by sanctioning accidental virus origin is dangerous.

China's "punishment" is probably going to be a global reevaluation of dependency on it for cheap goods and manufacturing.

• Like 3