CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Tattoo shops and massage parlors in Ohio can reopen on Friday. I'm not sure I can think of anything less essential during a pandemic than getting a tattoo. 

https://www.10tv.com/article/tattoo-shops-massage-services-ohio-can-reopen-may-15-2020-may

"But if they're not open, how can Ohio State recruit players?"

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Somebody posted a tweet regarding the playbook and its contents.  I posted a link to the playbook for those who were curious as to what its contents were.  That was really the extent of it.  Bozo thought it was a good opportunity to post a "burn it down" quip (which has become largely decontextualized at this point), so I asked if he read the link. That sufficiently summarizes it. 

Playbook GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Somebody posted a tweet regarding the playbook and its contents.  I posted a link to the playbook for those who were curious as to what its contents were.  That was really the extent of it.  Bozo thought it was a good opportunity to post a "burn it down" quip (which has become largely decontextualized at this point), so I asked if he read the link. That sufficiently summarizes it. 

Thanks.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

If it's ever safe to march, I believe women will lead the way in all of this. They're are best shot at stanching the bleeding of the republic.

A march once a month would get his attention. The National Park Service would never allow a permit, though.

6 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

He's busy ignoring the pedophile who posts quack medicine horseshit in the Daily Texan COVID thread.  

It's really fascinating, the intersection of HCQ quackery with COVID was engineered in a Chinese lab quackery.  I mean there are certain segments of the political spectrum that that I can understand how it gets a toe hold, and why.  But then there are the segments that are running in a totally different political alignment that are landing in precisely the same place. A number of examples of that on this board. It's an interesting phenomena.  

• Like 1

It's really fascinating, the intersection of HCQ quackery with COVID was engineered in a Chinese lab quackery.  I mean there are certain segments of the political spectrum that that I can understand how it gets a toe hold, and why.  But then there are the segments that are running in a totally different political alignment that are landing in precisely the same place. A number of examples of that on this board. It's an interesting phenomena.  

Which segments are those besides far right and/or trumptards? 

2 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

Which segments are those besides far right and/or trumptards? 

Among the posters here?  RayDog and Triplehorn, specifically. 

ETA: to be fair, I don't think triple ever locked on to the chinese lab nonsense, at least not as vocally as RayDog.  But he was definitely all in on teh HCQ shit before he took a break to get some fresh air when people started dying from CV events. 

Edited by Anastasis

I can understand the need for a thread that isn't constantly discussing how much Trump has fucked the whole deal up but anyone who is saying that thread "isn't political" is at best stupid and at worst intellectually dishonest.  I dip my toe in on the last page every few days and every time it seems they have some new horse to beat that has fuck all to do with local response in Texas. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Intersectionality analysis of media silos uncovers strange bedfellows. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

I can understand the need for a thread that isn't constantly discussing how much Trump has fucked the whole deal up but anyone who is saying that thread "isn't political" is at best stupid and at worst intellectually dishonest.  I dip my toe in on the last page every few days and every time it seems they have some new horse to beat that has fuck all to do with local response in Texas. 

I think that the DT pushback was initially an attempt to prevent that thread from turning into a shit fest.  I can understand that, but I do agree that that thread has in fact evolved to be extremely political, just minus references to the Orange Man, and has become one sided as a result.  

14 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

I truly appreciate the updates on the beef, pork and poultry industry each day by one of the posters. In a world of dubious statistics, it is refreshing to understand how one market is responding to the virus. 

But - yes - everything is politics. Always has been.

🤓
Spoiler

. . . "But everything is political, isn't it?" The question is insistent, it always comes back, in part because there is more than a little truth to the assertion it presupposes. Everything is political in the sense that any action we take or decision we make or conclusion we reach rests on assumptions, norms, and values not everyone would affirm. That is, everything we do is rooted in a contestable point of origin; and since the realm of the contestable is the realm of politics, everything is political.

But this sense in which everything is political is so general (no action escapes it) that there isn't very much that can be done with it; it doesn't tell you anything about the entities (all entities) to which it applies. If everything is political, to say of something that it is political is not to distinguish it from anything else; and if you want to know what a particular thing is or how it works, you will have to go back to the ordinary distinctions that will still serve to mark one thing off from another even if, on a very abstract level, they are both political.

Literary criticism and partisan politics are both political in this general sense -- any style of their performance will be controversial in the field -- but the point of the one is to produce a true account of a poem, while the point of the second is to win elections. If you mix them up and try for an account of a poem that will help a favored candidate or advance a political cause (unlikely but possible scenarios), you will only be pretending to practice literary criticism, and you will be exploiting for partisan purposes the discipline in whose name you supposedly act.

This is more than a logical point; it is a point about bad academic practices and the sloppy thinking that accompanies them. Typically that thinking displays two failures: the failure to grasp the distinctiveness of tasks -- the fact that something is only what it is by not being what it is not -- and the failure to understand the irrelevance to practical performance of large theses like "everything is political." The revelation that some well-known historians have taken credit for the words of others or falsely represented themselves as participants in the events they chronicled has on occasion elicited this response: Well, isn't it all narrative anyway? Every historical account is someone's story, so how can anyone be criticized for telling one story rather than another? But "everything is narrative" is just like "everything is political": It tells you what is generally true of different forms of action and discourse; it doesn't tell you that they're not different. The craft of history requires that you fashion your narrative according to a publicly known set of discipline-specific rules; the result may be a "story," in the technical sense that it issues from an angled perspective and not from God or Nature, but it is a story that offers itself to the judgment and correction of the decorums relevant to its production, and it is not the methodological or moral equivalent of stories produced under the pressure of other decorums.

. . . https://www.chronicle.com/article/Is-Everything-Political-/45993

59 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Tattoo shops and massage parlors in Ohio can reopen on Friday. I'm not sure I can think of anything less essential during a pandemic than getting a tattoo. 

"Some people are saying that Hep-C is a natural enemy to coronavirus.  I'm not a doctor, but I think it would be like those mongeese that they brought to Hawaii to kill the rats - everyone knows how well that worked, right, Fauci?  What do you have to lose?  Try it - get a sweet tattoo of me on your back like Roger has and some of those Hepatitis C viruses, and you'll be all set."

6 hours ago, Anastasis said:

That's an indictment of Trump's administration. Do you recall early on in this mess that article from WaPo on the transition team presentation? I'd sure like to hear a candid review of the participants. I think Wilbur slept through part of it again. I seem to recall Rick Perry in attendance. 

They threw it in the trash. Then trashed the agency. Did the opposite of what was recommended, as in instead of sending people to China we took out who we had on it. Instead of coordinating with WHO...fuck it. It's such a goddamn clusterfuck of denials and lies and pride that it's difficult to describe it all. It all sits in the lap of Trump. The majority of people know this. They aren't going to plow through 70 pages, but they know that it exists. I'll plow through it. 

Where'd you find it?

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I think that the DT pushback was initially an attempt to prevent that thread from turning into a shit fest.  I can understand that, but I do agree that that thread has in fact evolved to be extremely political, just minus references to the Orange Man, and has become one sided as a result.  

It's what CR used to be. The same people minus a few are there because they can't or won't defend Abbott, Patrick, McConnell, and of course not Trump. They were here celebrating every day that they had on this plane that Hillary was not President. 

How long did it take? They used to get loud in here. Escriva was absolutely impervious to any argument. Until the move. He vanished. Rocko and Swam both got paid in negs. Icono and slorch have self-banned. They haven't gotten the politics out of DT, they don't want to be in here. 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

There's no just god.  From what I'm seeing, there could definitely be some asshole in charge. 

I can see nothing more just than a worldwide disaster made far worse by a leader who is the personification of all of our country’s wickedness. That’s some Old Testament style judgement against America.

• Like 1

Frum is one of the reasons I got the subscription. Totally fucking worth it. 

twisting ghetto of craziness

No, no, you don’t get it. You’ve gotta go back to the Benghazi episode four seasons back. Well, really to Troopergate, but that’s only available on DVD …

They weren’t listening before. Now they are. And what they hear is not: Obama was mean to me. What they hear is: I cannot do this job.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/05/trump-has-lost-plot/611548/

https://www.omaha.com/news/local/fewer-nebraska-voters-turned-up-at-the-polls-but-more-than-usual-voted-in-tuesdays/article_ca4e0646-d57c-5e04-9409-c7902768d579.html#1

So in how Covid-19 effects democracy story. It’s Nebraska’s primary today. Mail in ballots are going to handily except last times total turnout by themselves. (Story says 360k, last update had it up to 391k) The only contested primaries are on the Democratic side in a heavily blue state. (Except state senate with is officially non-partisan). In person voting will wrap up at 8, but the numbers at the end of this should show if two of the electoral votes for Nebraska are in play as Omaha has went blue before, and if Lincoln is in play, Omaha’s probably a lock for blue. 

This is more of a global article, but the points are still valid here. For all those that say caring about the economy means that you don’t care about people’s lives or health. I know I’ve faced that charge here before multiple times.

Guest Lobo

So wait, FoxNews thinks we should have our doctors and scientists elected now?  By the same people that picked Marion Barry and Dan Patrick?  

Yeah, can't wait to see this vetting process looks like.  I can certainly see Trump voters taking the scientific debates really seriously.  

23 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

This is more of a global article, but the points are still valid here. For all those that say caring about the economy means that you don’t care about people’s lives or health. I know I’ve faced that charge here before multiple times.

Nobody says that. Most of us just don’t value the economy as much or more as we do human life. It’s why we’re not fucking Republicans. 

There never had to be a choice though but because of terrible leadership we’ve managed to tank the economy and kill off 100,000+ folks. 

Edited by 4th&Five
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, cactusflinthead said:

That's an indictment of Trump's administration. Do you recall early on in this mess that article from WaPo on the transition team presentation? I'd sure like to hear a candid review of the participants. I think Wilbur slept through part of it again. I seem to recall Rick Perry in attendance. 

They threw it in the trash. Then trashed the agency. Did the opposite of what was recommended, as in instead of sending people to China we took out who we had on it. Instead of coordinating with WHO...fuck it. It's such a goddamn clusterfuck of denials and lies and pride that it's difficult to describe it all. It all sits in the lap of Trump. The majority of people know this. They aren't going to plow through 70 pages, but they know that it exists. I'll plow through it. 

Where'd you find it?

Dr. Scott Gottlieb (now of the American Enterprise Institute) was on the transition team. He was Trump's former FDA Commissioner. He was quoted as saying, "I'm not leaving" two months before he resigned in early 2019. He became Commissioner in 2017 and left in April of 2019. Prior to being an advisor on the transition team, he advised Wisconsin governor, Scott Walker and was also at the FDA under W. His area is more in pharma and fighting opioid addiction was one of his 'things.'

Scott Walker was a policy advisor on health care on the transition team. Not sure why since he dropped out of college and didn't have a health care background and has been a politician since the age of 22.

There were presumably other advisors, but I didn't go looking around for names. Gottlieb was one I was aware of already.

17 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Nobody says that. Most of us just don’t value the economy as much or more as we do human life. It’s why we’re not fucking Republicans. 

Thanks for not reading the article. 
The economic fallout could be more deadly than the virus itself, it hypothesizes. So your nonsense reply makes no sense. 

Edited by GRHorn
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

These attacks on science are killing me. For a variety of reasons, but it is embarrassing to watch the con men erode an area in which America has had an illustrious history and reputation. Science that was not always good, certainly moments of shame but responsible for a collective body of knowledge that has improved the lives of many, and this greasing of the wheels for the flim flam artistry to begin is just so sad. My oldest is a chemistry graduate student. She absolutely loves science. We started in the kitchen making concoctions and she took it from there. When she began her studies, she was able to benefit from having female mentors in her field. When I was in school that was much much less common and I was so happy that she was enjoying her work and planning her future.  I'm not sure who was happier when she got to speak with Frances Arnold; I know I was fangirling. But there is a creeping chill in the air and I worry that she and others like her will be vilified for trying to be logical critical thinkers.

Sorry for going off the rail. I would like to take a sledge hammer to Tucker's tiny male parts until they look like flat Stanley. I have no idea where this propensity for violence comes from. Must be the mama bear instinct. Don't mess with the next generation's future, not for my children not for anyone's children.

10 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

The economic fallout could be more deadly than the virus itself, it hypothesizes. So your nonsense reply makes no sense. 

the other side of the argument is - ok, so we stay open to save the economy.  and several hundred thousand+ people die.  what does that do to the economy (not to mention the hospital/healthcare infrastructure)?

the administration treated it like a binary choice one way, and now they're treating it like a binary choice the other way.  it's an essay question that they continue to treat like true/false.

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, Lobo said:

So wait, FoxNews thinks we should have our doctors and scientists elected now?  By the same people that picked Marion Barry and Dan Patrick?  

Yeah, can't wait to see this vetting process looks like.  I can certainly see Trump voters taking the scientific debates really seriously.  

I'm surprised they let it Fauci ride this far.  Gotta give Trump some credit here, hes a fucking idiot, but even he understood that he needed someone that knew what is really going on in the room during the peak.   Fauci is a liability now though, so his days are numbered.  With the economy opening up, his honesty will only directly contradict the message out of the WH and fox news, so hes gotta go.  Birx has already thrown hollow praise at Trump, so maybe shes on board with completely selling out and serving as science credibility token the rest of the way.  

4 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

These attacks on science are killing me. For a variety of reasons, but it is embarrassing to watch the con men erode an area in which America has had an illustrious history and reputation. Science that was not always good, certainly moments of shame but responsible for a collective body of knowledge that has improved the lives of many, and this greasing of the wheels for the flim flam artistry to begin is just so sad. My oldest is a chemistry graduate student. She absolutely loves science. We started in the kitchen making concoctions and she took it from there. When she began her studies, she was able to benefit from having female mentors in her field. When I was in school that was much much less common and I was so happy that she was enjoying her work and planning her future.  I'm not sure who was happier when she got to speak with Frances Arnold; I know I was fangirling. But there is a creeping chill in the air and I worry that she and others like her will be vilified for trying to be logical critical thinkers.

Sorry for going off the rail. I would like to take a sledge hammer to Tucker's tiny male parts until they look like flat Stanley. I have no idea where this propensity for violence comes from. Must be the mama bear instinct. Don't mess with the next generation's future, not for my children not for anyone's children.

16 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

You seem to be under the impression that the economy has an on/off switch.

For the most part, people are not going to be spending money until they feel it is safe to do so.  See any recent polling on this.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

the other side of the argument is - ok, so we stay open to save the economy.  and several hundred thousand+ people die.  what does that do to the economy (not to mention the hospital/healthcare infrastructure)?

the administration treated it like a binary choice one way, and now they're treating it like a binary choice the other way.  it's an essay question that they continue to treat like true/false.

When the article speaks of recession though, wasn't that going to happen with this pandemic regardless? While America may climb out of it sooner than Venezuala, that doesn't necessarily translate into America giving aid to countries such as that, does it? I haven't kept track of dollars, but it did seem as if Trump was bemoaning how much America gives and doesn't receive (very transactional). The big unknown is will we climb out only to fall back in?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

That's really good.  I gotta say, I always respected you as an amusing and witty poster going back to the GGW days.  But I have to confess that the GGW association made me take you somewhat less than seriously.

Your analysis on this poltico-legal stuff is really sharp.

• Like 2