CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

4 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Yep. 

Most troubling part of your post is bolded - I am beginning to think that we're almost certainly going to have some kind of super fucked up, mass-casualty, world-altering October Surprise.

Like Tom Clancy type of shit... 

WOMP womp. 

October Surprise like the Bin Laden video that came out a few days before the 2004 election? Trump loves to one up everybody. Let’s throw around some suggestions as to what this October surprise could be. We could even start a Surly betting pool to see whose theory hits the closest to what actually happens. This administration is so unpredictable, nothing seems outrageous anymore.

50 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

For all the karma warriors. This is so unbelievable yet I’m not surprised in the least.

That's bad twittering. The article was from March 11th. She went on a cruise well before her crusade. Jake Z got that wrong as well earlier today. 

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

why do people have such trouble with lose and loose?

fewer/less bothers me.  effect/affect, whatever.  led and lead is weird but happens a lot.  i'll get over it.  but not lose/loose.  what the fuck.

also dominate/dominant is also receiving votes.

Gonna throw a bucket of lard at the next dude says "coup de GRAH."

I could go on, but there are other things I'd like to do this week.

• Like 1

So Dotard sent Pence to visit covid19 patients and convinced him to not wear a mask. If Pence comes down with it, he would obviously need to be replaced by Nikki... you know, just to make sure Pence can take care of himself and fully recover. 

13 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

You ever get a song that becomes an 'ear worm?' I was doing yard work this weekend and this Dolly Parton song got stuck in my head. My husband jokes that its possible to pass along ear worm songs to other people like a virus, so I hope the VP gets this song stuck in his head and goes to hang out with his WH neighbor:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/mike-pompeos-unproven-covid-19-claims-have-officials-freaked-out?ref=home

As international pressure mounts for an investigation into the origins of the deadly coronavirus, officials in the State Department say they are increasingly wary about Secretary Mike Pompeo continuing to push a theory that scientists and foreign intelligence officials have already shot down, claiming it could have disastrous diplomatic consequences.

President Donald Trump and Pompeo have for weeks publicly pushed the story that the coronavirus originated in and escaped from a lab in Wuhan, China, where scientists were conducting experiments. In a press conference last week, Pompeo said there was “enormous evidence” that the virus originated in the lab. China has denied the claims. And foreign intelligence officials and even members of the White House’s own coronavirus task force have pushed back against that claim, saying the virus most likely originated in the wild and was naturally transmitted from animal to human, possibly in a public market. 

Those contradictions have senior officials at the State Department, six of whom spoke to The Daily Beast, on edge, worrying that the secretary, in particular, is moving too quickly to publicly conclude what intelligence officials around the world are either still trying to understand or have said is inaccurate.

Spoiler

The public declarations by Pompeo have already begun to disrupt diplomatic relationships between the State Department and its allies, multiple officials said. One official told The Daily Beast that their counterparts in Europe and Australia have over the past week voiced frustration at Pompeo, saying his statements not only contradict parts of their intelligence assessments but that they would make it difficult for the countries to get China to allow an independent investigation. Another official said Europe’s skittishness was a result of “needing medical equipment from China.” 

“I think most Western countries are getting to where the U.S. wants them to be,” one State Department official said, referring to the call for China to allow for an investigation. “But the more Pompeo and Trump talk like this, the higher the chances of an Iraq intel repeat happening… which will just undermine us in the end.”

The growing tensions inside the State Department highlight the extent to which officials fear the repercussions of Pompeo’s very public statements. On national television and in press conferences at the department, he has repeatedly suggested that the virus originated in the Wuhan lab, but he has yet to produce evidence backing up that assertion. 

“There’s a real concern that as a department we’ve gone way out on a limb,” one senior State Department official said. “At the end of the day details matter. We don’t want to get into another situation where we’re coming out claiming all these things and then we have to back track later.”

The State Department did not respond to a request for comment for this story.

Pompeo isn’t alone in his public comments on China. On May 1, Trump told reporters he had a “high degree of confidence” that the virus originated in a lab accident in China. But his own intelligence community said in a public statement last week that even though the virus originated in China, it would “continue to rigorously examine emerging information and intelligence to determine whether the outbreak began through contact with infected animals or if it was the result of an accident at a laboratory in Wuhan.”

That assessment preceded the leak of a 15-page dossier put together through an intelligence-sharing partnership between the U.S., Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the U.K. known as Five Eyes. That dossier concluded that China covered up vital information on the virus that cost tens of thousands of lives, according to the Daily Telegraph, but it didn’t conclude that the lab was responsible for the outbreak. It also said the Australian government believed there was a 5 percent chance that the virus came from the Wuhan Institute of Virology and that it more likely originated in a wet market.

Members of the Trump coronavirus task force have also questioned Pompeo and Trump’s claims. 

“If you look at the evolution of the virus in bats and what's out there now, [the scientific evidence] is very, very strongly leaning toward this could not have been artificially or deliberately manipulated,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, the head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said during an interview with National Geographic last week. “Everything about the stepwise evolution over time strongly indicates that [this virus] evolved in nature and then jumped species.”

He went on to call the argument over the virus origins a “circular argument.”

“I don’t get what they’re talking about… if it isn’t manipulated in the lab and you’re trying to say it escaped from the lab then how did it get in the lab? It got in the lab because somebody isolated it from the environment,” Fauci said. 

No one seemed to better summarize the confusion than General Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, when he told reporters last we that the U.S. simply didn’t know whether the outbreak began in the lab or in a market. “The weight of the evidence is that it was natural and not man-made.”

It’s not just the conflicting intelligence and scientific studies that concern State Department officials. They, too, are agitated that all conversation about China and the virus has moved underground. Diplomats are increasingly being told to rely solely on Pompeo’s statements when speaking with counterparts about the administration’s position on the origins of the virus. 

Since the beginning of the outbreak the State Department has worked to bring Americans stuck abroad home and to help facilitate the delivery of medical supplies to countries grappling with an increasing number of infections and virus-related deaths. But Trump and senior officials in the White House have predominantly relied on Pompeo and his State Department to lead the way in publicly chastising China for the virus outbreak and for failing to quickly inform the rest of the world about the deadly virus. 

Over the last two months as the coronavirus wreaked havoc on the U.S., killing tens of thousands of people, the State Department ramped up a messaging campaign, condemning China and highlighting the extent to which the U.S. was providing humanitarian aid to countries seeking assistance during the outbreak.

According to cables obtained by and previously reported on by The Daily Beast, the department sent talking points to embassies, telling them to emphasize Beijing orchestrating a “cover-up” and creating a global pandemic. 

“The [Chinese Communist Party] is waging a propaganda campaign to desperately try to shift responsibility for the global pandemic to the United States. This effort is futile,” one of the talking points in the cable reads. “Thanks to the… cover-up, Chinese and international experts missed a critical window to contain the outbreak within China and stop its global spread. Saving lives is more important than saving face.”

Those messaging cables have slowed significantly, with few updates from the embassy in China, officials said, leaving diplomats in the dark about what exactly the department’s guidance is on China. 

“Pompeo keeps making claims that we have no other talking points to support… and so the talking points are ‘as the Secretary said,’” one State official told The Daily Beast. 

11 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

You ever get a song that becomes an 'ear worm?' I was doing yard work this weekend and this Dolly Parton song got stuck in my head. My husband jokes that its possible to pass along ear worm songs to other people like a virus, so I hope the VP gets this song stuck in his head and goes to hang out with his WH neighbor:

god she was a such a babe back in the day

• Like 1

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/08/opinion/coronavirus-trump.html?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email

In 1847, members of the Choctaw Nation sent relief money across the Atlantic to a starving Ireland — something the Irish, who lost more than a million people in a famine made worse by British indifference, have never forgotten. The Irish are now giving financial aid to Native American tribes hit with a pandemic that has been made worse by American incompetence.

This is a gracious act, a boomerang of good will, as reported by my colleagues Ed O’Loughlin and Mihir Zaveri. But it also shows how much of the world has started to feel sorry for a nation laid low by the lethal ineptitude of President Trump.

“The country Trump promised to make great again has never in its history seemed so pitiful,” wrote Fintan O’Toole in The Irish Times. And he asked: “Will American prestige ever recover from this shameful episode?”

Before we take up O’Toole’s question, let’s look at where we rank in the worst global crisis since World War II. In Trump’s assessment, his government has done a “spectacular job” with the Covid-19 pandemic.

“And I’ll tell you, the whole world is excited watching us because we’re leading the world,” he said, in an updated pat on the back this week.

He’s right about the leading part: Every 49 seconds or so, throughout the first week in May, an American has been dying of this disease. With 1.3 million reported cases, the United States, just five percent of the world’s population, has nearly 33 percent of the sick. With more than 75,000 deaths, we’re at the front of the pack as well. No country comes close on all three measures.

Globally, the average death rate is 34 people per million residents. In the United States, it’s more than six times higher — 232 per million.

Spoiler

South Korea and the United States both reported their first cases of Covid-19 at the same time, in the third week of January. South Korea immediately started testing on a mass scale and socially isolating. The United States denied, dithered and did next to nothing for more than two months.

By the end of April, new cases in South Korea were down to less than 10 a day. In the United States at that time, the pandemic raged at a daily rate of more than 25,000 newly sick. New Zealand, which also quickly went into lockdown, reported no new cases earlier this week for the first time since mid-March.

“The United States reacted like Pakistan or Belarus, like a country with a shoddy infrastructure and a dysfunctional government whose leaders were too corrupt or stupid to head off mass suffering.” That’s the indictment of The Atlantic’s George Packer, calling the United States a failed state.

He’s half right. As scientists note, you can’t stop an outbreak from happening, but you can stop it from becoming a catastrophe that brings down a society. The United States spends more on health care, per capita, than any other rich nation. And yet, here we are: a full-blown disaster, in lockdown with a narcissist for a president.

A country that turned out eight combat aircraft every hour at the peak of World War II could not even produce enough 75-cent masks or simple cotton nasal swabs for testing in this pandemic.

A country that showed the world how to defeat polio now promotes quack remedies involving household disinfectants from the presidential podium.

A country that rescued postwar Europe with the Marshall Plan didn’t even bother to show up this week at the teleconference of global leaders pledging contributions for a coronavirus vaccine.

A country that sent George Patton and Dwight Eisenhower to crush the Nazis now fights a war against a viral killer with Jared Kushner, a feckless failed real estate speculator who holds power by virtue of his marriage to the president’s daughter.

Let’s not put too much of the blame on Kushner. After all, he’s also got Middle East peace, the border wall, the opioid crisis and reinventing the government on his plate. “Who’s in charge of it?” Trump said recently, about the “Warp Speed” vaccine development program. “Honestly? I am. I’ll tell you, I’m really in charge of it.”

Well, then: Where is the test and trace program needed to safely reopen the country? Where is the national plan even to consider such an effort? Trump has surrendered. He never looked smaller or more pathetic than when sitting last Sunday on his little chair in front of the Lincoln Memorial.

America has a failed federal government, laughed at and pitied the world over. But America is not a failed state. It will be saved by its scientists and doctors, its hospitals and universities, its nimble and creative companies, and leaders in the statehouses who act more decisively than the family of frauds in the White House.

Perhaps it is best to let the coronavirus task force die a miserable death. It’s mostly show and ego projection.

As to the Irishman’s question: Will American prestige ever recover? Not for some time. Our image abroad took a real hit after Trump’s election, and it has continued to fall. Most of the world now has no confidence in the president’s leadership.

But then, the same is true with most Americans. Welcome to our nightmare.

• Like 8

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/08/opinion/coronavirus-trump.html?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email

In 1847, members of the Choctaw Nation sent relief money across the Atlantic to a starving Ireland — something the Irish, who lost more than a million people in a famine made worse by British indifference, have never forgotten. The Irish are now giving financial aid to Native American tribes hit with a pandemic that has been made worse by American incompetence.
This is a gracious act, a boomerang of good will, as reported by my colleagues Ed O’Loughlin and Mihir Zaveri. But it also shows how much of the world has started to feel sorry for a nation laid low by the lethal ineptitude of President Trump.

“The country Trump promised to make great again has never in its history seemed so pitiful,” wrote Fintan O’Toole in The Irish Times. And he asked: “Will American prestige ever recover from this shameful episode?”
Before we take up O’Toole’s question, let’s look at where we rank in the worst global crisis since World War II. In Trump’s assessment, his government has done a “spectacular job” with the Covid-19 pandemic.
“And I’ll tell you, the whole world is excited watching us because we’re leading the world,” he said, in an updated pat on the back this week.

He’s right about the leading part: Every 49 seconds or so, throughout the first week in May, an American has been dying of this disease. With 1.3 million reported cases, the United States, just five percent of the world’s population, has nearly 33 percent of the sick. With more than 75,000 deaths, we’re at the front of the pack as well. No country comes close on all three measures.
Globally, the average death rate is 34 people per million residents. In the United States, it’s more than six times higher — 232 per million.

Spoiler

South Korea and the United States both reported their first cases of Covid-19 at the same time, in the third week of January. South Korea immediately started testing on a mass scale and socially isolating. The United States denied, dithered and did next to nothing for more than two months.
By the end of April, new cases in South Korea were down to less than 10 a day. In the United States at that time, the pandemic raged at a daily rate of more than 25,000 newly sick. New Zealand, which also quickly went into lockdown, reported no new cases earlier this week for the first time since mid-March.
“The United States reacted like Pakistan or Belarus, like a country with a shoddy infrastructure and a dysfunctional government whose leaders were too corrupt or stupid to head off mass suffering.” That’s the indictment of The Atlantic’s George Packer, calling the United States a failed state.
He’s half right. As scientists note, you can’t stop an outbreak from happening, but you can stop it from becoming a catastrophe that brings down a society. The United States spends more on health care, per capita, than any other rich nation. And yet, here we are: a full-blown disaster, in lockdown with a narcissist for a president.
A country that turned out eight combat aircraft every hour at the peak of World War II could not even produce enough 75-cent masks or simple cotton nasal swabs for testing in this pandemic.
A country that showed the world how to defeat polio now promotes quack remedies involving household disinfectants from the presidential podium.
A country that rescued postwar Europe with the Marshall Plan didn’t even bother to show up this week at the teleconference of global leaders pledging contributions for a coronavirus vaccine.
A country that sent George Patton and Dwight Eisenhower to crush the Nazis now fights a war against a viral killer with Jared Kushner, a feckless failed real estate speculator who holds power by virtue of his marriage to the president’s daughter.
Let’s not put too much of the blame on Kushner. After all, he’s also got Middle East peace, the border wall, the opioid crisis and reinventing the government on his plate. “Who’s in charge of it?” Trump said recently, about the “Warp Speed” vaccine development program. “Honestly? I am. I’ll tell you, I’m really in charge of it.”
Well, then: Where is the test and trace program needed to safely reopen the country? Where is the national plan even to consider such an effort? Trump has surrendered. He never looked smaller or more pathetic than when sitting last Sunday on his little chair in front of the Lincoln Memorial.
America has a failed federal government, laughed at and pitied the world over. But America is not a failed state. It will be saved by its scientists and doctors, its hospitals and universities, its nimble and creative companies, and leaders in the statehouses who act more decisively than the family of frauds in the White House.
Perhaps it is best to let the coronavirus task force die a miserable death. It’s mostly show and ego projection.
As to the Irishman’s question: Will American prestige ever recover? Not for some time. Our image abroad took a real hit after Trump’s election, and it has continued to fall. Most of the world now has no confidence in the president’s leadership.
But then, the same is true with most Americans. Welcome to our nightmare.

It really stings because it's true. We're showing to be a third world country.

• Like 3

October Surprise like the Bin Laden video that came out a few days before the 2004 election? Trump loves to one up everybody. Let’s throw around some suggestions as to what this October surprise could be. We could even start a Surly betting pool to see whose theory hits the closest to what actually happens. This administration is so unpredictable, nothing seems outrageous anymore.
Ooh! He shoots* Pence in a duel on 5th avenue. Pence never draws. His last words are "thank you sir."

*by shoots I mean he shoots a fake nerf gun and some poor bastard actually does the killing via sniper and our tax dollars

Millions Cheer

Sweden -

giphy.gif

Sweden's COVID-19 Death Toll 'Horrifying,' Says Scientist

Cases of the novel coronavirus in Sweden have reached at least 23,918, with its death count at 2,941, as of Thursday, according to the latest figures from the country's health ministry.

"We are starting to near 3,000 deceased, a horrifyingly large number," noted the chief epidemiologist at Sweden's public health agency, Anders Tegnell, at a press conference on Wednesday.

Tegnell, who has been leading the country's COVID-19 response and previously defended the nation's decision not to impose a lockdown, this week admitted he was "not convinced" the unconventional anti-lockdown strategy was the best option to take.

"I'm not convinced at all - we are constantly thinking about this," Tegnell told Aftonbladet, the Swedish newspaper based in the capital Stockholm.

A child less than 10 years old, who had been in intensive care, was reported to be among the latest fatalities. But it has yet to be confirmed whether the child died from the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

Tegnell told Aftonbladet the virus posed a minimal risk to children. He reportedly claimed there are nearly no cases among children globally, claiming that those who died following infection had severe underlying health conditions.

Contrary to Tegnell's claim, while there are fewer confirmed cases among under-18s, there have been several cases among children, including in Sweden. At least 118 confirmed infections among those aged 9 or younger and at least 282 confirmed cases among those aged between 10 and 19 have been reported in Sweden, as of Thursday.

Last month, a number of children in the United Kingdom with no underlying conditions were reported to have died from a rare inflammatory syndrome which researchers believe was linked to the disease, Reuters reported.

Medical experts in Italy and the U.K. were also said to be investigating a possible link between the virus and cases of severe inflammatory disease among infants arriving in hospital with high fevers and swollen arteries, Reuters reported.

Sweden has, by far, the largest number of cases and fatalities in Scandinavia, compared with its neighbors Denmark, Norway and Finland, which each have 10,281, 7,996 and 5,573 confirmed cases, respectively, according to the latest figures from Johns Hopkins University.

The daily death toll for Sweden is projected to reach potentially as high as nearly 150 by May 11, while up to 1,060 deaths have been projected for this week, according to the latest projection model by the Imperial College COVID-19 Response Team. The team consists of Imperial College London, the WHO (World Health Organization) Collaborating Centre for Infectious Disease Modelling within the MRC Centre for Global Infectious Disease Analysis and J-IDEA (Abdul Latif Jameel Institute for Disease and Emergency Analytics).

Yet Sweden is the only infected European country to not issue a strict lockdown, a strategy which aimed to develop "herd immunity" by increasing the number of people exposed to the virus in a bid to avoid a second wave of cases.

But the move has come under criticism by other countries as well as within the nation.

Speaking to Newsweek, a 33-year-old mother based in the city of Lund in southern Sweden, Allyson Plumberg, said: "I don't think the Swedish response has been adequate. No recommendations for face mask usage in elder care homes (where the bulk of deaths have occurred)," in an email interview.

She added: "Even children with pre-existing medical conditions are not officially considered at-risk for COVID19. It is now well-known that children can become very ill (and even die in rare circumstances) from COVID-19, even without pre-existing conditions. There is still a mandatory school attendance (ages 6-15) for healthy children in Sweden.

"This means healthy teachers are also pressured to continue showing up in the classroom. We now see that teachers have died, and households with in-risk members are more desperate than ever to protect the health of their families.

"Overall, it seems like Sweden avoids adherence to the precautionary principle whenever possible," she said.

Newsweek has contacted Sweden's Ministry of Education as well as the Ministry of Health and Social Affairs for a comment.

Current restrictions in Sweden following the outbreak include a ban on gatherings of more than 50 people, while residents have been told to avoid unnecessary travel and contact with elderly people. But they are allowed to visit restaurants, bars, cafes and nightclubs, which have reportedly been told to offer seated table service only.

High schools and universities are closed and their courses are being taught online but schools for those under 16 remain open. The government advocates working from home, where possible.

Last month the government warned it would be shutting down any restaurants and bars that do not follow precautionary guidelines issued to prevent an outbreak of cases, Reuters reported.

Sweden's Minister for Home Affairs, Mikael Damberg, said: "As the sun begins to shine, we are beginning to see some worrying reports of open-air restaurants full of customers, of places packed with people, and we have to take this seriously," at a press conference.

"I don't want to see any full open-air restaurants in Stockholm or anywhere else. Otherwise, businesses will be closed," he added.

Cecilia Soderberg-Naucler, a professor of microbial pathogenesis at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden, has also previously raised concerns over Sweden's radical strategy. She is among the nearly 2,300 academics who in March signed an open letter to the government urging implement stronger measures to protect the country's health care system from being overwhelmed.

"We must establish control over the situation, we cannot head into a situation where we get complete chaos. No one has tried this route [of not imposing a lockdown], so why should we test it first in Sweden, without informed consent?" she told Reuters last month.

A professor of genetic epidemiology at Sweden's Lund University, Paul Franks, told Newsweek last month: "A feature of the strategy that has not worked so well is protecting vulnerable populations, which is evident in the fact that SARS-CoV-2 has been detected in many care homes and hospital wards," he noted.

An article published on March 27 and co-written by Franks and Peter Nilsson, a professor of internal medicine-epidemiology at Lund University, noted "going forward, Sweden is likely to have to impose stricter restrictions depending on how the virus spreads, especially in metropolitan areas or when the healthcare system is under severe strain," the two authors said.

The novel coronavirus has spread to more than 3.7 million people across the globe. Over 264,100 have died following infection, while more than 1.2 million have reportedly recovered, according to the latest figures from Johns Hopkins University.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health-news/swedens-covid-19-death-toll-horrifying-says-scientist/ar-BB13Kx1j

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

you make a very good point. the 1st wave has to level off before the 2nd wave can be measured 

I am thinking this will be a head and shoulders recovery from the virus. We have crested the first shoulder and are headed down a flat plateau until we hit the neck - and then we see a sharp rise in deaths per day - followed by a short plateau and then a steep drop to the next shoulder. . . . 

This is what I anticipate:

spacer.png

The second spike in deaths causes a retightening of what is and is not open. Hopefully that causes people to be much more serious about the virus. We will then see a second loosening, but hopefully most people take it as a victory and to stay the course - rather than to party like its 1999. Virus fades (to be seen again in the Winter 2020). We should have a vaccine in a year, which will finally end the plague. 

Oh - and the recession is going to be a bitch.

We can be Britain during WWII and have our finest hour. Or we can have a civil war like what happened to Russia during WWI.

We are a Western democracy. This nation and Western democracies descend from Plato, Aristotle, Polybius, and the Enlightenment. If we can't pull together and save this Republic, this will have been a grand failure of idea that began 2500 years ago. 

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

I am thinking this will be a head and shoulders recovery from the virus. We have crested the first shoulder and are headed down a flat plateau until we hit the neck - and then we see a sharp rise in deaths per day - followed by a short plateau and then a steep drop to the next shoulder. . . . 

spacer.png

The second spike in deaths causes a retightening of what is and is not open. Hopefully that causes people to be much more serious about the virus. We will then see a second loosening, but hopefully most people take it as a victory and to stay the course - rather than to party like its 1999. Virus fades (to be seen again in the Winter 2020). We should have a vaccine in a year, which will finally end the plague. 

We can be Britain during WWII and have our finest hour. Or we can have a civil war like what happened to Russia during WWI.

We are a Western democracy. This nation and Western democracies descend from Plato, Aristotle, Polybius, and the Enlightenment. If we can't pull together and save this Republic, this will have been a grand failure of idea that began 2500 years ago. 

This country has more intellectual commonality with Dana Plato the child star who killed herself than Plato the Greek philosopher. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

spacer.png

If you went on CNBC with the "head and shoulders" model, you'd blow their minds.  "V shaped, U shaped, W shaped, L shaped."

• Like 1

6 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

We are a Western democracy.

7 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

If you went on CNBC with the "head and shoulders" model, you'd blow their minds.  "V shaped, U shaped, W shaped, L shaped."

And approximately half the people sitting at home were this to appear on FNC or OANN are thinking, "Head and Shoulders virus model? We're going to brush that off our shoulders," while the other half is thinking "Hey honey, if we drink dandruff shampoo it washes away the virus."

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/05/masks-covid-19-infections-would-plummet-new-study-says

"If you’re wondering whether to wear or not to wear, consider this. The day before yesterday, 21 people died of COVID-19 in Japan. In the United States, 2,129 died. Comparing overall death rates for the two countries offers an even starker point of comparison with total U.S. deaths now at a staggering 76,032 and Japan’s fatalities at 577. Japan’s population is about 38% of the U.S., but even adjusting for population, the Japanese death rate is a mere 2% of America’s.

This comes despite Japan having no lockdown, still-active subways, and many businesses that have remained open—reportedly including karaoke bars, although Japanese citizens and industries are practicing social distancing where they can. Nor have the Japanese broadly embraced contact tracing, a practice by which health authorities identify someone who has been infected and then attempt to identify everyone that person might have interacted with—and potentially infected. So how does Japan do it?"

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The world is showing us so many different ways to approach the problem, and we just absolutely fucking refuse to pick even one of them because we'd literally prefer to die than to admit that people outside of America might have a good idea about something.

The path forward is literally so easy.  More than any one thing...wear a mask when you're going to be around other people.

Will our authorities even require that?  Fuck no -- our governor has even supposedly superseded the ability of local authorities to require masks, under penalty of law.

Will we do so voluntarily?  Some of us will, but not enough.  Because a combination of stupidity, "it's all a hoax," and "FREEDOM PATRIOT EAGLE FLAG GUN!  NOBODY TELLS ME WHAT TO DO!"

I want us to open up the economy as much as possible, as soon as possible.  If people would wear masks - and were actually required to do so -- we'd be most of the way there.  But we won't.  Because god we're a nation of fucking morons built on a foundation of moronity worshiping at the high altar of moronity.  We are suffering like hell, and we apparently deserve it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/05/masks-covid-19-infections-would-plummet-new-study-says

"If you’re wondering whether to wear or not to wear, consider this. The day before yesterday, 21 people died of COVID-19 in Japan. In the United States, 2,129 died. Comparing overall death rates for the two countries offers an even starker point of comparison with total U.S. deaths now at a staggering 76,032 and Japan’s fatalities at 577. Japan’s population is about 38% of the U.S., but even adjusting for population, the Japanese death rate is a mere 2% of America’s.

This comes despite Japan having no lockdown, still-active subways, and many businesses that have remained open—reportedly including karaoke bars, although Japanese citizens and industries are practicing social distancing where they can. Nor have the Japanese broadly embraced contact tracing, a practice by which health authorities identify someone who has been infected and then attempt to identify everyone that person might have interacted with—and potentially infected. So how does Japan do it?"

The Japanese aren’t dying from coronavirus because they’re too busy getting killed by murder hornets.

• Like 1

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-administration-coronavirus-vaccine-researcher-covid-19-cure-60-minutes/

"In China, EcoHealth has worked for 15 years with the Wuhan Institute of Virology. Together they've catalogued hundreds of bat viruses, research that is critical right now. 

Peter Daszak: The breakthrough drug, Remdesivir, that seems to have some impact on COVID-19 was actually tested against the viruses we discovered under our NIH research funding...

...But his funding from the NIH, the U.S. National Institutes of Health, was killed, two weeks ago, by a political disinformation campaign targeting China's Wuhan Institute...

...Scott Pelley: How often are NIH grants terminated in this way?

Maureen Miller: This is the first one I've ever heard of. When they terminate an NIH grant, and it's not something that's usually taken lightly, it is for cause. There's fraud involved at some level. There is either manipulation of the data, you're putting your participants in harm's way, or your data are fraudulent. 

Scott Pelley: And none of those things have been alleged with EcoHealth?

Maureen Miller: Absolutely not. None..."