Things not going well for Joe Rogan

Parliament

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Rogan will peddle bullshit to the aggrieved for all 4 years of the Biden presidency. He's following the Rush Limbaugh during the Clinton years formula. 

100%. And he has millions of followers.  My largely successful CEO BIL and idiot pothead friend among them.  He will be largely responsible for keeping the cult together once Limbaugh shuffles off this mortal coil. 

I imagine that many public figures, that rely on social media for a living, are trying to gauge what has happened in the last 48 hours with social media and how to navigate it. And it’s also platforms like Shopify that banned trump official merchandise sales this week.

There are a handful of media and payment platforms that could destroy a brand if you violate their rules. And while I don’t believe they act in unison, I imagine that advocating violence on one platform can get you banned elsewhere. It’s not a guarantee but it could easily occur for a highly visible person. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Lex Fridman checks every box on the pseudo intellectual, generic grifter, and sincerity feigning page. "He talks really slow so he must be some kind of genius." The best indicator is whether or not they push a brain powder supplement or a big dick pill or an alpha shake. Morons think many of these guys are what smart is supposed to resemble. 

Jimmy Dore and Tim Pool are the exact same model in that they are striving for the "above the ideological fray," one size fits all, audience seeker. "I sprinkle my emotionally strident fervor with occasional pragmatism, so you'll know I'm dynamic." Doug Stanhope pinned the collective of these asshats when he said "nobody wrestles alligators for free or without an audience."

3 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Lex Fridman checks every box on the pseudo intellectual, generic grifter, and sincerity feigning page. "He talks really slow so he must be some kind of genius." The best indicator is whether or not they push a brain powder supplement or a big dick pill or an alpha shake. Morons think many of these guys are what smart is supposed to resemble. 

Jimmy Dore and Tim Pool are the exact same model in that they are striving for the "above the ideological fray," one size fits all, audience seeker. "I sprinkle my emotionally strident fervor with occasional pragmatism, so you'll know I'm dynamic." Doug Stanhope pinned the collective of these asshats when he said "nobody wrestles alligators for free or without an audience."

Who are four people that have never been in my kitchen?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

i just don't understand the love for this guy. he's a fucking moron. he's good when it comes to ufc bro stuff. but when it comes to actual real shit, he's just a roid head bro. just look at his cro-magnon head. "hey guys, guys, i don't know all that much about vaccines, but i feel like if i keep doing my roids and work out a lot, the covid won't come for me."

fucking asshole.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Yeah it sucks when someone with a large following effectively endorses against vaccines because he thinks he has a healthy diet and works out.

someone should point out to him that he probably caused the death of some people by saying that. Even saying that he will decide when he’s called, would have been better.

He is the Rush Limbaugh of the young anti-truth cult. I know a few of them. They are supposed intelligent people but they share debunked disproven articles as fact. They all get the same bad information from the same manipulated propaganda websites. They listen to Joe Rogen. They read Barstool Sports. They’re always just asking questions. Government bad. Military good. Guns good. Meat good. Cross Fit. Keto. Outdoor Sports. It’s a weird new breed of hipster. 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

He is the Rush Limbaugh of the young anti-truth cult. I know a few of them. They are supposed intelligent people but they share debunked disproven articles as fact. They all get the same bad information from the same manipulated propaganda websites. They listen to Joe Rogen. They read Barstool Sports. They’re always just asking questions. Government bad. Military good. Guns good. Meat good. Cross Fit. Keto. Outdoor Sports. It’s a weird new breed of hipster. 

It's a weird intellectual anti-intellectualism. 

People that spend a lot of time thinking and positing but all with severely flawed logical fallacy as their foundational argument. 

I can argue or posit that the sky is red, but if you don't argue that it's red only during sunset and with the CO2 in the air and argue like it's red all day every day that is foundationally flawed and easy to disprove. This is how I think of Joe Rogan and his followers. Applying arguments from a very narrow scope to a broader scope with the same "truthiness" behind them. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

i just don't understand the love for this guy. he's a fucking moron. he's good when it comes to ufc bro stuff. but when it comes to actual real shit, he's just a roid head bro. just look at his cro-magnon head. "hey guys, guys, i don't know all that much about vaccines, but i feel like if i keep doing my roids and work out a lot, the covid won't come for me."

fucking asshole.

I think a lot of his listeners find him through stand up comedians who love him because he has helped them make a ton of money. See: Tom Segura and Brent Crystals.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Rogan is Dunning-Kruger crack for meatheads. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I think that Rogan believes a lot of his shit because he takes roids and suffered a lot of blows to his head. He really won’t get a shot. 

Rush Limbaugh 100 percent knows he is full of shit and is laughing all the way to the bank. Limbaugh would tell people not to get vaccinated and then fly to a private island to get injected and also snort Vicodin. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I’ve noticed you really enjoy the Dunning-Kruger explanation for a lot of things. What if I told you the way we think about DK was fundamentally misunderstood and thus wrong? 

“We?” Why do you assume you know how I think about Dunning-Kruger?

On 1/9/2021 at 10:55 AM, mdmost said:

Rogan will peddle bullshit to the aggrieved for all 4 years of the Biden presidency. He's following the Rush Limbaugh during the Clinton years formula. 

This.  He loves to play both sides, when really he's playing to his pocketbook.

11 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

fucking asshole.

He's either really fucking stupid, or grifts way too hard.

I remember when he was an Apollo moon landing truther, and then tried to walk it back.

And he provides a platform for way too many stupid bullshit theorists that are given pseudo-credibility by his platform.

At least Art Bell was honest about his schtick.  Rogan just plays the "just asking questions" bullshit.

Edited by atomheartbevo

yeah ^ he will make money allowing the alt-right to air their greivances. thats the entire show. 

he can "support" bernie because its cover.

its alt-right anti-establishment. i used to enjoy some of the more obscure guests but quit watching it. the BS is just too thick for me to keep a straight face

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, immamac said:

It's a weird intellectual anti-intellectualism. 

People that spend a lot of time thinking and positing but all with severely flawed logical fallacy as their foundational argument. 

This is exactly correct for my buddy, whom I’m mentioned in this thread before. He’s not a meathead. He’s a stoner and a fairly bright guy. He’s 29 or 30, not sure. Younger than me. But I think he likes it because of the “just asking questions” aspect and when you’re high all the time, those questions start to make you wonder.  

I used to smoke pot a lot when I was in my early 20s and questions were great. They were better when you came up with them on your own while listening to Radiohead. 

Unfortunately, when you have that mentality and Joe fucking Rogan is who you latch onto, you become dumber. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

Well, good point, my assumption is based on the general and standard understanding of the DK principle as well as this is the second time I’ve specifically noticed you using it as a rationalization or justification, and it fell under the scope of aforementioned general and standard understanding.

2 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

I read this over Christmas break and thought it was interesting, namely because a lot of pseudo intellectuals love to use DK as a crutch and infallible heuristic and I noticed it’s rise the last few years. If there was a “Know your meme” analytics dashboard for usage and growth as a crutch for folks on internet message boards it would have hockey sticked the last few years, let’s say.

Anyways, not to say what’s wrong or right but it’s an interesting read from reputable academic scholarship and not some Joe Roganism.

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/critical-thinking/dunning-kruger-effect-probably-not-real

Edited by DonkeyCigars

23 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

the article shows the math is bad.  then the article closes with this:

+++

Are there dumb people who do not realize they are dumb? Sure, but that was never what the Dunning-Kruger effect was about. Are there people who are very confident and arrogant in their ignorance? Absolutely, but here too, Dunning and Kruger did not measure confidence or arrogance back in 1999. There are other effects known to psychologists, like the overconfidence bias and the better-than-average bias (where most car drivers believe themselves to be well above average, which makes no mathematical sense), so if the Dunning-Kruger effect is convincingly shown to be nothing but a mirage, it does not mean the human brain is spotless. And if researchers continue to believe in the effect in the face of weighty criticism, this is not a paradoxical example of the Dunning-Kruger effect. In the original classic experiments, students received no feedback when making their self-assessment. It is fair to say researchers are in a different position now.

The words “Dunning-Kruger effect” have been wielded as an incantation by journalists and skeptics alike for years to explain away stupidity and incompetence. It may be time to break that spell.

+++

The statistical application of the theorem, and the label, "Dunning-Kruger", has been used for 20 years to explain how the incompetent can not perceive their incompetence.

I have used that label hundreds of times.  It's time to change the label.  Changing the label doesn't absolve the stupidry.

So, the label "Dunning-Kruger" no longer applies.  We can start calling it maggatry, or dotardism.

100% of the maggats that invaded the Capitol with their phones on their person, whether they posted, streamed, selfied, or tweeted, fall in to the category of ignorant of their own stupidity.

100%.  Regardless of any self-assessment of their competence, under the Dunning-Kruger methodology, or any other statistical methodology.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

the article shows the math is bad.  then the article closes with this:

+++

Are there dumb people who do not realize they are dumb? Sure, but that was never what the Dunning-Kruger effect was about. Are there people who are very confident and arrogant in their ignorance? Absolutely, but here too, Dunning and Kruger did not measure confidence or arrogance back in 1999. There are other effects known to psychologists, like the overconfidence bias and the better-than-average bias (where most car drivers believe themselves to be well above average, which makes no mathematical sense), so if the Dunning-Kruger effect is convincingly shown to be nothing but a mirage, it does not mean the human brain is spotless. And if researchers continue to believe in the effect in the face of weighty criticism, this is not a paradoxical example of the Dunning-Kruger effect. In the original classic experiments, students received no feedback when making their self-assessment. It is fair to say researchers are in a different position now.

The words “Dunning-Kruger effect” have been wielded as an incantation by journalists and skeptics alike for years to explain away stupidity and incompetence. It may be time to break that spell.

+++

The statistical application of the theorem, and the label, "Dunning-Kruger", has been used for 20 years to explain how the incompetent can not perceive their incompetence.

I have used that label hundreds of times.  It's time to change the label.  Changing the label doesn't absolve the stupidry.

So, the label "Dunning-Kruger" no longer applies.  We can start calling it maggatry, or dotardism.

100% of the maggats that invaded the Capitol with their phones on their person, whether they posted, streamed, selfied, or tweeted, fall in to the category of ignorant of their own stupidity.

100%.  Regardless of any self-assessment of their competence, under the Dunning-Kruger methodology, or any other statistical methodology.

I think we are in agreement. There will always be a place to identify and classify people as “too stupid to even know they are stupid” and Dunning-Kruger became a convenient short-hand for that idea, rightly or, perhaps, wrongly.

My only point in bringing it up here is a) I saw someone use it a couple of times in the last few weeks, b) it reminds me that a lot of folks over-rotate and use it too much out of impatience and c) as it relates to Joe Rogan, I feel like he’s simply a skeptic and, when he’s skeptical or dismissive of something liberals feel should be a moral or ethical fundamental fact, they get mad because he has a deep and wide influential platform, one that is home to both Bernie Bros and Patriot Boys or whatever their gang name is, and everything in between.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

I haven't listened to him in over a year, but Rogan has always struck me as a bit of a blank slate, enthusiastically along for the ride of whatever his guest is selling. When he has a smart, interesting guest, it's a good show because the smart interesting guest is driving the show. When he has a nutcase on, the show is unhinged because the guest is driving the show. In a healthy culture, we would understand this and calibrate accordingly. Our culture isn't healthy.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

I never had a problem with Rogan because he would have dumb shit and dumbasses on his podcast but he'd also have some pretty good interviews with people like Neil deGrasse Tyson and Sean Carroll all the while making it clear that outside of combat sports and comedy he didn't know shit about government, politics, or much else. 

I'm thinking the massive success from the podcast caused him to lose sight of that and all of a sudden he started thinking he's an expert on way more things than he ever should simply because he talks to a few smart people here and there. It also didn't help when the crazies he would have on went from being just nutters to dangerous criminals attacking normal people and violently trying to overthrow the government and he failed to completely distance himself from them and condemn their acts. He went from a somewhat entertaining regular dude with idiot friends to a dangerous propaganda spreading scourge on society who became very disingenuous like when he completely lied about leaving California to avoid paying state income tax on that 120 million dollar Spotify deal. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

6 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

The I'm above anyone that listens to Joe Rogan has become cool. 

I'm not a diehard but will listen in when he has a guest I'm interested in. Two hour interview with Elon Musk or whoever. Yeah, sure. 

I've listened to a total of 1 of his podcasts: the Navy pilot that tried to track down a UFO.  He seemed reasonable but given the amount of smoke about him I'm guessing there's fire.  

9 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

I've listened to a total of 1 of his podcasts: the Navy pilot that tried to track down a UFO.  He seemed reasonable but given the amount of smoke about him I'm guessing there's fire.  

If you are talking about the interview with David Fravor, he's a very interesting person - he was featured on the PBS series 'Carrier' or whatever it was called, - basically a reality TV/documentary series filmed aboard the USS Enterprise (I believed).  He seemed very level-headed.

Edited by atomheartbevo

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If you are talking about 6th interview with David Fravor, he's a very interesting person - he was featured on the PBS series 'Carrier' or whatever it was called, - basically a reality TV/documentary series filmed aboard the USS Enterprise (I believed).  He seemed very level-headed.

I wasn't clear in my previous post, so I'll say it now: Rogan seemed reasonable.  

I just looked up Fravor and I'm pretty sure that's the episode I saw.  He seemed credible; I think the Navy has released some of the video of the incident, which backs him up. 

3 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

I wasn't clear in my previous post, so I'll say it now: Rogan seemed reasonable.  

I just looked up Fravor and I'm pretty sure that's the episode I saw.  He seemed credible; I think the Navy has released some of the video of the incident, which backs him up. 

I partly botched my post, but yeah, Fravor seemed extremely level-headed on the PBS series, and in various interviews.   He's not some dude in Buttfuck, Oklahoma that got taken by Bigfoot onto a spaceship to get anal-probed - he reported what he saw, and backed it up.

But I still loathe Rogan, both for his previous shenanigans (Apollo moon landing truther bullshit, etc.), and for giving people a platform/credibility, who should not easily have it.

Let me rephrase that:  If he wants to have some fucking 9/11 truther on, fine, but he should be ready to tear the person's arguments to shreds.  That's a huge part of the problem with our broader media/commentary/news culture as a whole - we have way too many people getting on podcasts/TV/cable TV shows, etc., and they aren't being called out and shredded for the crazy shit they spew.  When he sits there, and nods along, and dances around the craziness, he's all but endorsing it.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

I haven't watched it all but that Nessan Dorna version with Dunning Krueger libretto looks funny. 

I watched it, I thought it was the best part of that article 😛

Also, Joe Rogan leaving California to not pay their massive taxes is the most human and relatable thing the guy could have done to convince me he is a rational person. Had he stayed, I'd question his aptitude and sanity.

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I partly botched my post, but yeah, Fravor seemed extremely level-headed on the PBS series, and in various interviews.   He's not some dude in Buttfuck, Oklahoma that got taken by Bigfoot onto a spaceship to get anal-probed - he reported what he saw, and backed it up.

But I still loathe Rogan, both for his previous shenanigans (Apollo moon landing truther bullshit, etc.), and for giving people a platform/credibility, who should not easily have it.

Let me rephrase that:  If he wants to have some fucking 9/11 truther on, fine, but he should be ready to tear the person's arguments to shreds.  That's a huge part of the problem with our broader media/commentary/news culture as a whole - we have way too many people getting on podcasts/TV/cable TV shows, etc., and they aren't being called out and shredded for the crazy shit they spew.  When he sits there, and nods along, and dances around the craziness, he's all but endorsing it.

Early on in his podcast there were times he got confrontational with people if he didn't think what they were saying made sense or was that it was straight bullshit. But then he stopped doing it and I imagine he figured out it'll be damn hard to book podcast guests anyone wants to listen to if you get the reputation of a confrontational interviewer. People like Musk don't want to come on and worry about being called out for horrific labor practices and such. It's terrible journalism but he made a business decision. That's why he became useless to me, and not that I fault him for it, but once he made the decision to see it as a business and not what he started it out as it just became a giant infomercial avenue for anyone out there peddling anything or combating public perception issues. There can be no credibility in that. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I watched it, I thought it was the best part of that article 😛

Also, Joe Rogan leaving California to not pay their massive taxes is the most human and relatable thing the guy could have done to convince me he is a rational person. Had he stayed, I'd question his aptitude and sanity.

And that's fine, but then he shouldn't go and make up bullshit about he's leaving because of the oppressive leftist culture and traffic and all that shit. He was fine with all of that until it came time to get a $120 million windfall. Don't be a liar, just move and don't address it at all if you don't want to say what the real reason is. It's obvious so anyone with a brain can figure it out anyway, and by lying about it so blatantly it kills any chance he has at any credibility. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

And that's fine, but then he shouldn't go and make up bullshit about he's leaving because of the oppressive leftist culture and traffic and all that shit. He was fine with all of that until it came time to get a $120 million windfall. Don't be a liar, just move and don't address it at all if you don't want to say what the real reason is. It's obvious so anyone with a brain can figure it out anyway, and by lying about it so blatantly it kills any chance he has at any credibility. 

Unless "oppressive leftist culture" means (or materially includes) paying outsized and more ridiculous taxes compared to other states, of course. That term as an umbrella could house a lot of reasonings, in other words.

But sure, I generally think it's better to be honest about things because it's transparent when you aren't and everyone will appreciate your honesty, and in this case, mostly not care or agree with you.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

10 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

It's something I can't believe most of the celebrities didn't do a long ass time go.  Go buy a house in Texas or Florida or Washington to establish residence and just rent in LA and spend most of your time there. 

you aren't a tax expert, are you?

• Haha 6

11 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

The I'm above anyone that listens to Joe Rogan has become cool. 

I'm not a diehard but will listen in when he has a guest I'm interested in. Two hour interview with Elon Musk or whoever. Yeah, sure. 

How does anyone have the time to listen to two hours of Elon getting stoned?

• Haha 1

Just now, DonkeyCigars said:

Maybe it's the Dunning-Kruger!!11 lol

Could be. Whether the DKE reflects a real inverse relationship between competence and confidence or a mere statistical quirk, it seems DK showed at a minimum that some members of the most incompetent group will wildly overestimate their competence. So Dunning-Kruger remains a useful shorthand for an idiot who believes himself to be an expert. And we’re seeing a lot of those these days.

• Hook 'Em 1