College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

Testing every other day means it should not "invade in force." Although they do need to wear masks for their brief plane and bus rides, that's the time where a bunch of guys could get infected at once if someone is unknowingly positive.

Here in Philly, we start off with the Marlins from one of the nation's most out of control hot spots. Bienvenidos a la virus!

• Like 1

I'm just waiting for the first of many stories, HS, college, or pro, where coaches/player(s) covered up an infection because, y'know, he can rest as soon as "the big game" is over.  Guaranteed 100% it'll happen.  Not even metaphysically a doubt.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

NFL starting to look more iffy too. No way college goes ahead if NFL can’t pull it off. 

The NFL will almost certainly happen, maybe without fans. The TV contracts are too large, and they have the funds for rapid testing the players. CFB has a ton of money on the line too, but they also have the problem of schools that may or may not have students on campus full time. It's much more awkward to be playing football games on campus when other students are not there, especially if they want to continue the "charade" of the "student athlete" to avoid paying them.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, phdhorn said:

I'm just waiting for the first of many stories, HS, college, or pro, where coaches/player(s) covered up an infection because, y'know, he can rest as soon as "the big game" is over.  Guaranteed 100% it'll happen.  Not even metaphysically a doubt.

I immediately thought of Art Briles when I read this post. Watch out for how “accurate” the Mount Vernon numbers are.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

NFL starting to look more iffy too. No way college goes ahead if NFL can’t pull it off. 

It's pretty fascinating how quiet the NFL has been quiet during all of this.  With the exception of the NBA playoffs, the NFL dominates the sports talk even during the summer months despite there not ever being anything of real substance.  Aside from some Brady and Dak talk last month things have been strangely silent.  Even the cancelling of the HOF game was done in a manner which seemed like the league was trying to keep it as hush-hush as possible.

No comment or talk of player bubbles, fan attendance guidelines, delaying of a season, scheduling contingencies, etc.  Nada.  Nothing. 

The NBA offered more on their 'snitch hotline' than the NFL has put out on everything else combined. 

It's all been really weird. 

5 hours ago, 'stache said:

CFB has a ton of money on the line too, but they also have the problem of schools that may or may not have students on campus full time. It's much more awkward to be playing football games on campus when other students are not there, especially if they want to continue the "charade" of the "student athlete" to avoid paying them.

UT opening up football to 50% fan attendance is going to be really interesting.  I look forward to hearing how they secured the hundreds/thousands of volunteers, vendors, staff, etc..

Not sure what y'all are talking about re:

NFL is keeping things quiet but making progress as rookies begin to report this week. They haven't announced any test results yet.

UT will not be selling 50 percent of the stadium if there are games in the fall. Just something Abbott said 5 weeks ago

Edited by Bartles
Sorry I missed CDC said 50 pct today for some reason

2 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

It's pretty fascinating how quiet the NFL has been quiet during all of this.  With the exception of the NBA playoffs, the NFL dominates the sports talk even during the summer months despite there not ever being anything of real substance.  Aside from some Brady and Dak talk last month things have been strangely silent.  Even the cancelling of the HOF game was done in a manner which seemed like the league was trying to keep it as hush-hush as possible.

No comment or talk of player bubbles, fan attendance guidelines, delaying of a season, scheduling contingencies, etc.  Nada.  Nothing. 

The NBA offered more on their 'snitch hotline' than the NFL has put out on everything else combined. 

It's all been really weird. 

Going to be interesting if these idiot NFL players that blow their money and live week to week don't start getting a check in Sept.

On 7/19/2020 at 6:23 PM, Sejjr said:

Latest COVID testing information from MLB. 6 positives out of 10,548 tests in the past week.

spacer.png

An update on high school sports for the west coast biggest state (this could impact recruiting for UT & OU)...

I don't really see how 50% is any better/safer than 100%
When you're talking crowds of tens of thousands it wouldn't seem to make much difference. So there's a few feet between peoole in the stands (theotetically). Still have crowded concourses, tailgates, whatever.

16 minutes ago, gmr548 said:
15 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

When you're talking crowds of tens of thousands it wouldn't seem to make much difference. So there's a few feet between peoole in the stands (theotetically). Still have crowded concourses, tailgates, whatever.

I'd imagine most P5 schools will follow Illinois' lead and not allow any tailgating if there is a season.

1 minute ago, GreenspointTexas said:

UIL schedule starting on time for HS FB

Unless I'm reading it wrong:

First day for practice for 1A-4A is 8/3 and first day for games is 8/27

First day for practice for 5A-6A is 9/7 and first day for games is 9/24

11 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

Even this isn't across the board though. Some schools are still subject to local governmental bodies' decisions to delay start dates. It's going to be a total clusterfuck.

I think we passed into the football clusterfuck zone back around mid May.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TeddyBearStallion said:

Based on local mandates and restrictions preventing the attendance of spectators?

That doesn't stop the games.

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

seems like they've wasted all this time and haven't come up with much of a plan and players, some execs and at least one owner are starting to feel some doubt.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Players are starting to publicly question the league's lack of a plan.

I'm sure the NFL will give it a try but it's really showing what a poorly run league it is.

I'm not one to defend the NFL, but just because they aren't sharing something does not mean it doesn't exist.

Bottom line:  There is too much money involved to expect this not to happen.  The League will go down kicking and screaming before it cancels the season.

And please note:  I'm not particularly an NFL fan.  College is about 100x more important to me.  But I have a lot more faith that we will see a full NFL season than we will see anything resembling a complete college season.

I'm not one to defend the NFL, but just because they aren't sharing something does not mean it doesn't exist.  

Bottom line:  There is too much money involved to expect this not to happen.  The League will go down kicking and screaming before it cancels the season.

And please note:  I'm not particularly an NFL fan.  College is about 100x more important to me.  But I have a lot more faith that we will see a full NFL season than we will see anything resembling a complete college season.

Your statement applies to the general public. That they haven't shared a plan for camp with players or teams when campus typically start in a week or two, that's a red flag. I never once said they wouldn't try to play, just that the league is in fact running out of time and the very people involved are starting to question it. 

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Your statement applies to the general public. That they haven't shared a plan for camp with players or teams when campus typically start in a week or two, that's a red flag. I never once said they wouldn't try to play, just that the league is in fact running out of time and the very people involved are starting to question it. 

Fair enough.

4 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

NM is screwed. On the one hand, their case count is low, and except for the Navajo reservation, they’ve done well containing the virus. On the other hand, they’ve been locked down and shut down so long, their already crappy economy is shot. The double whammy oil price crash has eviscerated their budget, and now they have no tax revenues coming in anywhere else. They’ve shut out tourists, when tourism is one of the only non-governmental, non-oil & gas, sources of revenue. It’s going to be even more of a crap fest than most places. 

And on athletics, they’re even more screwed. Without the body bag games, the already underwater UNM and NMSU budgets are gone. UNM was scheduled to play both MissSU and USCa this year, at about $1MM each, and NMSU was scheduled to play at UCLA ($1.2MM) and UF (1.5MM).  Both teams lose money playing football except for the body bag games, and both athletic departments are run almost entirely on those revenues. https://www.abqjournal.com/1437081/loss-of-games-could-hurt-lobos-aggies.html (Behind paywall, so I pulled out the numbers above).

At this point, the state of NM should just shut down FCS football. It’s been a farce for a long time anyway. 

This is going to be repeated at a bunch of other G5 and other schools. As stated earlier in this thread by several, C19 may result in a massive realignment of CFB. 

• Like 2

Playing college football this season would be massively fucking stupid. I want it as much or more than a lot of people here, but come on guys it's about as dumb as opening the bars too early. 

Student athletes can't be made to play amid the pandemic for us. The NFL guys are professionals and can do as they please.

• Like 7

On 7/20/2020 at 6:07 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Assuming 20% of attendees get infected, it's much easier on the hospitals if 20% of 50K get infected versus 20% of 100K. By the time games actually play, I'll be surprised if attendance is not limited to 25% or less. The infection rate is a variable I pulled out my ass, you can insert your own wild ass guess if you want.

Edited by Extra Anejo

2 hours ago, immamac said:

Playing college football this season would be massively fucking stupid. I want it as much or more than a lot of people here, but come on guys it's about as dumb as opening the bars too early

But we did that...

SneakyHandsomeAssassinbug-size_restricte

• Like 2

I understand that the Hunter Lawrences of the world would just sit out, but pushing CFB to spring is the only prudent move at this point.

Does Sam play or just get ready for the draft? IDK. He still has a lot to prove so maybe he plays. But this isn't just about UT, this is about all of CFB.

Limiting non-conference games hurts all lower tier and G5 schools.... and pushes them to take risks that they probably can't afford / aren't capable of handling. What happens to the players if they all get sick? I'm sure an Alabama or Texas can afford to treat the kids... but what about Central Southwestern Polytech?

Play football in the spring for everyone.

See what it's like.

Work out the kinks and let the networks be a part of the brainstorming / lessons learned.

This will be a great trial run and test case for the G5 and FCS.

Everyone can read the tea leaves that they will eventually decouple from the P5 and this will allow for a better understanding of how this can be achieved.

I think fans will be disappointed, but will understand. 

There will be less of a risk for a midseason cancelation and no needed for an asterisk champion.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, nnm said:

NM is screwed. On the one hand, their case count is low, and except for the Navajo reservation, they’ve done well containing the virus. On the other hand, they’ve been locked down and shut down so long, their already crappy economy is shot. The double whammy oil price crash has eviscerated their budget, and now they have no tax revenues coming in anywhere else. They’ve shut out tourists, when tourism is one of the only non-governmental, non-oil & gas, sources of revenue. It’s going to be even more of a crap fest than most places. 

And on athletics, they’re even more screwed. Without the body bag games, the already underwater UNM and NMSU budgets are gone. UNM was scheduled to play both MissSU and USCa this year, at about $1MM each, and NMSU was scheduled to play at UCLA ($1.2MM) and UF (1.5MM).  Both teams lose money playing football except for the body bag games, and both athletic departments are run almost entirely on those revenues. https://www.abqjournal.com/1437081/loss-of-games-could-hurt-lobos-aggies.html (Behind paywall, so I pulled out the numbers above).

At this point, the state of NM should just shut down FCS football. It’s been a farce for a long time anyway. 

This is going to be repeated at a bunch of other G5 and other schools. As stated earlier in this thread by several, C19 may result in a massive realignment of CFB. 

Who is USCa?  I know USCe and USCw.

26 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

I understand that the Hunter Lawrences of the world would just sit out, but pushing CFB to spring is the only prudent move at this point.

Does Sam play or just get ready for the draft? IDK. He still has a lot to prove so maybe he plays. But this isn't just about UT, this is about all of CFB.

Limiting non-conference games hurts all lower tier and G5 schools.... and pushes them to take risks that they probably can't afford / aren't capable of handling. What happens to the players if they all get sick? I'm sure an Alabama or Texas can afford to treat the kids... but what about Central Southwestern Polytech?

Play football in the spring for everyone.

See what it's like.

Work out the kinks and let the networks be a part of the brainstorming / lessons learned.

This will be a great trial run and test case for the G5 and FCS.

Everyone can read the tea leaves that they will eventually decouple from the P5 and this will allow for a better understanding of how this can be achieved.

I think fans will be disappointed, but will understand. 

There will be less of a risk for a midseason cancelation and no needed for an asterisk champion.

I will bet you my 401k that Sam will/would wait however long it takes to get to play his senior year at UT.  He is not a top draft prospect anyway.