• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LaundryGuy

Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 25 months ago, User Post Count: 534

2 hrs

25 months

So I moved back into Moncrief today and took a quick tour around the joint.
First spoiler alert, don't expect anything new regarding the locker room. Construction covered it all during the renovations so pics you've seen before with those lockers that were put in 2 years ago, the super chic bathroom/showers, and the TV wall are the same. There might be some minor cosmetic changes, maybe different carpet but it's pretty much the same.

The training room is baddass and huge. Totally different from what was there and next to it is an all new hydrotherapy room. Cody Pools was in there today getting it set up. Training staff were moving in so lots of boxes everywhere and there's still some final work from construction being done so I didn't take any pics yet

The equipment room is not very fancy but it's freakin huge now with a way better functioning layout and connecting to the locker room in a better way than before
Players lounge is now downstairs next to the locker room and it is very nice and super cool. It's close to my laundry room too so I might find
myself chillin' in there sometimes for a break [https://s3media]
New staff locker rooms are very nice. Coaches locker room is upstairs now and is baddass. Staff spaces are first class now where as before it was kinda find some space for your stuff if you can in a janky shower/locker room.
I didn't see the weight room yet as Power Lift is there installing everything.
There's new office spaces but I didn't go in that area
There's fresh branding on the walls. It's pretty swanky and about what you might expect with cool lighting, bold graphic lighted art, All Americans, and all that stuff. I'll get pics of that soon.

There's still some areas that need to be finished up with paint and flooring but Moncrief is back to functioning and we can work in there which is outstanding considering the makeshift facilities we've been dealing with since Jan 2020 were getting old very fast. Not one staffer has expressed regret leaving NEZ and getting back to Moncrief. Everybody had a smile and that's saying something because moving sucks.
And for me the laundry room is about 2x bigger than before. 7 brand spankin' new large washers, 1 small washer, and 10 gas dryers. There's also a new space that I quickly turned into my little lounge area where I put my fridge, chairs, and there's a 55" Sony mounted to the wall. I got my firestick plugged in so it's ready for streaming while I do laundry.

Did they get the exhaust vents for those dryers hooked up to blow into the visitor’s locker room yet, or not?
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

Good luck to those of you who are unvaccinated as you pass through the gates this year.  First two games are going to see more crowded entrances with less ventilation.  Concourses will also be tighter with less air flow until the construction staging is gone from everywhere a month from now.  It will be tighter and more claustrophobic for a couple weeks and if you are not taking the vaccine, it will present a problem for you later on.  First games of every season are always a bit of a clusterfuck but there's some disastrous egress areas and concession areas all over the south, east, and northeast sides.  I just walked the whole thing, it'll be  bit better in 10 days, but not much.  Holy shit, I wouldn't want to be down there on a hot day trying to get in/out/piss/get beer even in a non-delta variant year.  

Goodbye and Good Luck.  

16 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Good luck to those of you who are unvaccinated as you pass through the gates this year.  First two games are going to see more crowded entrances with less ventilation.  Concourses will also be tighter with less air flow until the construction staging is gone from everywhere a month from now.  It will be tighter and more claustrophobic for a couple weeks and if you are not taking the vaccine, it will present a problem for you later on.  First games of every season are always a bit of a clusterfuck but there's some disastrous egress areas and concession areas all over the south, east, and northeast sides.  I just walked the whole thing, it'll be  bit better in 10 days, but not much.  Holy shit, I wouldn't want to be down there on a hot day trying to get in/out/piss/get beer even in a non-delta variant year.  

Goodbye and Good Luck.  

Imagine not having clear. 

• Haha 1

Good way to put it.  If you're unvaccinated, it'll be like flying Spirit airlines out of the tsa checkpoint at the old Laguardia terminal on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, with no pre-check status, and instead of getting an in-flight beverage for $5, you pay $150 and get lung aids.  

If you're on the fence about the vaccine, I don't care anymore.  But holy fucking shit, give some thought to how your first two games are gonna go at DKR.  Viral Load Orgy.  And not in the good way.  

Edited by Lobo

14 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You sound like you wear a mask while driving your own vehicle. 

Nope, sitting on campus right now unmasked.  Took a badass tour of the stadium, finishing some work, and about to start happy hour on the patio checking out the rush talent).  I am keeping my distance from other people, but I've always been that way.

Was just listening to the project manager explain how they're gonna keep the finish out on the new stadium areas going between ULL and Rice and how they're gonna strike the set after it's all over and explaining some gate closures and all the shit in some of the pathways and the whole thing just screamed, "Miserable fucking experience in week 1 for people in certain sections."  Just trying to pass it along so people can plan ahead.  Dedman Drive finally reopened all the way down to Moody though.  The dedicated turn lane will help on gameday.  If you're coming from the South though, pucker up.

Edited by Lobo

42 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Imagine not having clear. 

I just got Clear recently.  Paid for the Mrs. to get it too but she hasn't been through a gate yet.  Where do they have these?  They've been real clear that you must enter through your designated gate this year.  I'm guess there's not a Clear entrance at every gate. I've never never noticed them. 

Shit, I'm just now learning that DKR has a CLEAR entry program for a few gates. Holy shit, I had no idea.  Yeah, I would definitely get that if I were y'all.  

I thought Burnt Orange & White was talking about what it'd like flying out of an airport without it.  

Wow, if I were CLEAR, I'd be marketing the fuck out of this right now because the entry to the first two games is gonna be a fucking disaster.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Goodbye and Good Luck.  

I'm vaccinated, but I take my chances all day every day with all sorts of unpredictable possibilities. Not sure what the Delta variant really has to do with your comments specifically. Getting into and out of the stadium with 100,000 other people is quite often an uncomfortable shit show.

Yes, it is often an shitshow.  The chokepoints such as they are this year, will be an increased risk because you'll be stacked with 4 people to a square meter for 20 meters in each direction.  In unventilated areas.  Just throwing it out there for people to get vaccinated if they can before the first game and to make an entry plan perhaps before or after the kickoff rush if they are unvaccinated.  I realize we all take risks the virus each day and can't control everything, but two really easy things to control are your vaccination status (unless you are immuno-compromised or under 12) and how/when you enter/exit the stadium and make your way around the concourses.  Not making judgement calls, just saw some head-scratching spaces in the stadium today.  Everybody should go and have fun, I know I will.   

Primary concern on 9/4 will be the 105 degree heat index at kickoff.  Then I promise you, people will notice the entry/egress issues.  

Lobo really putting a damper on my excitement to see the new stadium and first game since 2019. and i'm vaccinated
Meh, anyone vaccinated will be fine, just wear a mask until you reach your seats if it makes you feel better...and of course hand sanitizer.

On 8/23/2021 at 11:01 AM, Vito Andolini said:

Pure guess, but I suspect it’s a waterproof, flexible mesh fabric (like a wind/privacy screen on a tennis court) that’s pulled taut and does allow for ventilation. Metal screens can also be used (and may be here), but I think it’s the waterproof plasticized mesh in this case (the DKR TEXAS MEMORIAL STADIUM signage on the other side is a mesh fabric that wasn’t tied down fully and gathered up in a rainstorm, and I’m assuming this is the same stuff). I think it’s simply a less expensive option than something more permanent (more assuming on my part, but the sun/weather will probably mean this has to be replaced every few years). 

I’ve never used the word “mesh” so much in my entire life.

a624a962-c496-44d1-951e-f6f385f3329d_text.gif

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

image.thumb.png.71b9c9847e20886cdbff5aab7a55b8e3.pngLooks like we are embracing the SEC-model of putting up player banners. They have one of Earl to the left of the Godzillatron and it looks cool. I assume Ricky will go on the other side.

Maybe CDC wants to make the old Gimme A Phat beat video where Ricky and Earl transform our players into minotaur football players a reality.

Snip20210825_4.png.b028e9c17eb3a4964066e1561a8eacd4.pngSnip20210825_5.png.929e25ccd3318f5f02068b63dccff94c.pngSnip20210825_6.png.21b0100aab4049465df69f881e60a294.png

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, mchookem said:

Lobo really putting a damper on my excitement to see the new stadium and first game since 2019. and i'm vaccinated 😕

Just giving a heads up to folks about what to expect.  Sorry for partying.  I'm vaccinated and wish everyone a fun and safe game.  

as  a gesture---you can use my parking pass for the first game or Rice.   

But seriously---I had no idea...if you can get a clear gate pass...get a fucking clear gate pass.  That is the biggest stadium no-brainer I've heard since open bar.  

Edited by Lobo

The pirate ship and zipline deal at the Midway look fun as shit.  But I don't think getting either after 8 or 9 beers is a good idea.

So obviously I'm going to.  

Also the food truck circle in front of the performing arts theaters...they're getting that fountain ready to turn back on.  If you have the chance with your kiddos before a game.  Walk up to the East Mall and have them look at you facing west with their backs right up to the fountain.  You'll get the immediate foreground of them with the water splashing up over their heads, with the whole foodtruck and midway area in the mid ground, and then in the far background, the LBJ fountain as well for symmetry.  It'll make for a really cool photo that hasn't been done before because all of these elements have yet to exist for a game.  

No reports yet of a swampass relief tent before the ULL game though.  Hopefully PhDhorn will chime in and say there'll be a rare Canadian front that morning.  

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

Can we have just one sports related thread where don’t talk about covid and vaccines? K thx bai.

Mute the cloak room nutjobs, problem solved.

Who throws the first TD into the SEZ with field level club boomers standing outside those garage doors watching the game?

Casey_Thompson.0.jpg

2 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Mute the cloak room nutjobs, problem solved.

Who throws the first TD into the SEZ with field level club boomers standing outside those garage doors watching the game?

Casey_Thompson.0.jpg

I'm in.  As long as it is not the only TD  of the day. (no CR)

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

Yes, it is often an shitshow.  The chokepoints such as they are this year, will be an increased risk because you'll be stacked with 4 people to a square meter for 20 meters in each direction.  In unventilated areas.  Just throwing it out there for people to get vaccinated if they can before the first game and to make an entry plan perhaps before or after the kickoff rush if they are unvaccinated.  I realize we all take risks the virus each day and can't control everything, but two really easy things to control are your vaccination status (unless you are immuno-compromised or under 12) and how/when you enter/exit the stadium and make your way around the concourses.  Not making judgement calls, just saw some head-scratching spaces in the stadium today.  Everybody should go and have fun, I know I will.   

Primary concern on 9/4 will be the 105 degree heat index at kickoff.  Then I promise you, people will notice the entry/egress issues.  

This isn’t the covid board. Shut the fuck up. 

I didn't post the first posts about covid/vaccines at football this year, tough guy.  I made some comments afterwards and switched quickly to other stadium/pre-game talk.  I pivoted to other talk, you should pivot to reading comprehension.  

Edited by Lobo

15 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I didn't post the first posts about covid/vaccines at football this year, tough guy.  I made some comments afterwards and switched quickly to other stadium/pre-game talk.  I pivoted to other talk, you should pivot to reading comprehension.  

You should pivot to shutting the fuck up. Stick your fingers in a paper shredder or whatever. 

Stick your fingers in a paper shredder?  I'll give you rep for originality.  

By the way, you're adorable.  

Onto stadium notes---the traffic pattern from Trinity is also gonna be largely overhauled this year.  And the Uber pickup, while awesome for dropoff is gonna have an even bigger hiccup than last year in terms of pickup egress.  

Edited by Lobo