Denis Villeneuve's Dune

Michael Knight

my mate is going on a fishing trip this week... so i just got a ticket to see it again in IMAX friday, oh yeah!

trying to remember the last movie i saw more than once in a theater...i think it might have been Heat 🤔 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, mchookem said:

trying to remember the last movie i saw more than once in a theater...i think it might have been Heat 🤔 

Goddamn to see Heat on a huge classic silver screen with the booming theatre sound system.... That final shootout must've been incredible

• Hook 'Em 1

Y'all got me thinking about the last movie I saw more than twice at the theater. 

In high school, (mid-70s),  we used to go to midnight movies on the weekend and frequently saw Monty Python and the Holy Grail, The Song Remains the Same, Woodstock and Tommy.

But when I was in college I lived off Riverside for sophomore and jr years and we often went to Rocky Horror at the Riverside Theater.  Probably ten or twelve times. It was a blast. That was definitely the last movie I saw more than once en teatro.  

Down side of living on Maui (I know, poor fucking me boohoo) is I have to hop on a 30 minute plane to reach an IMAX to watch it again. Don’t think I’ll be doing that but the fact that I’m considering it when I’ve never seen a movie in theater twice says a lot about this one.

On 3/11/2024 at 12:31 PM, TexasHooch said:

I saw it yesterday with my son.  We really enjoyed it.  I usually don't go to crowded movie theaters because I am very easily distracted by other movie goers and it ruins the experience.  It wasn't a problem in this case.

The only time I even knew there were other people in the theater was when Christopher Walken spoke a line.  There was audible laughter sprinkled throughout the theater.  I thought it was pretty unfortunate really, that one skit on SNL has made his very voice a punchline.  Anyone else notice that?

It's fine tbh. Shaddam's character is honestly kind of a punch line. He's weak and insecure and I think Walken did a great job portraying that.

On 3/10/2024 at 6:10 PM, wutang75 said:

Saw it last night on the Dolby Immersive screen and was a good way to go. Audio was amazing. Movie completely lives up to the hype - especially the last hour.

Zendaya didn’t work for me - no screen presence imo - just looked like a pouty teen (which I guess she was) - but something was missing for me.

Absolutely had the same feelings on her. Just scowling at Paul. That’s it. That’s what she does. Frowny face 

2 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Can't even escape from incel takes in the damn Dune thread

as soon as one of the CR shitgarglers like you starts up the "incel" BS, it's obvious the comments that hurt your pussy were right on target

I said she was miscast on page 1

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Shut up Lou Holtz said:

Absolutely had the same feelings on her. Just scowling at Paul. That’s it. That’s what she does. Frowny face 

6 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

She was fine for how DV wanted to use Chani in this adaptation. But yea she wasn’t memorable, think that says more about the performances around her though.

I mean, Chani's character in the 1984 adaption wasn't some earth shatteringly good or memorable performance either lol. Zendaya definitely had more to her performance than just "scowling at Paul", but her role in the story IS to be pissed at Paul for lying to her and doing the exact thing he said he would never do

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Damn yall tough 

after the first watch I didnt care for her or Austin b.  I was to in awe of just watching awesomeness. 

The second and third showing I studied more of the acting and backgrounds. I felt more for them.
Actually felt I was getting a bit dusty eyed for z with what she was going through. 

tough hard ass warrior that falls for the outsider only to be heartbroken. 

i took her blue ribbon wearing to be a sign of I’m in a relationship or being pregnant

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Damn yall tough 

after the first watch I didnt care for her or Austin b.  I was to in awe of just watching awesomeness. 

The second and third showing I studied more of the acting and backgrounds. I felt more for them.
Actually felt I was getting a bit dusty eyed for z with what she was going through. 

tough hard ass warrior that falls for the outsider only to be heartbroken. 

i took her blue ribbon wearing to be a sign of I’m in a relationship or being pregnant

Pretty much this yeah.

Blue scarf thingy does mean pregnant in the Fremen world at least according to the books so it was probably a hint. It's featured in at least a couple prominent shots.

Took the 16 yr old daughter to see it in IMAX yesterday during her spring break. I've heard of of the novels since I was a kid and how influential they were on Star Wars but I never cared to read it or knew anything else about it. A couple of years ago the daughters watched the first movie on TV while I did some work and just halfway paid attention. 

It was a good movie. I was much more impressed with the artistic elements of how it was shot and cinematography than the plot or acting. The story is just ok. 

The scenes where he shifted to black and white for the "coliseum" scene invoked 1930s Nazi imagery and was very well done. My favorite aspect of the cinematography. I wouldn't choose to watch it again but if for some reason the wife wants to see it I wouldn't turn it down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

The scenes where he shifted to black and white for the "coliseum" scene invoked 1930s Nazi imagery and was very well done. My favorite aspect of the cinematography. I wouldn't choose to watch it again but if for some reason the wife wants to see it I wouldn't turn it down. 

Yeah and they shot those scenes in infrared instead of using a black and white camera.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Captainant said:

I mean, Chani's character in the 1984 adaption wasn't some earth shatteringly good or memorable performance either lol. Zendaya definitely had more to her performance than just "scowling at Paul", but her role in the story IS to be pissed at Paul for lying to her and doing the exact thing he said he would never do

Idk why we’re comparing it to a different movie. She was fine. Using her and the other secular fremen to walk the audience through Pauls actions actually being bad vs heroic was a nice touch I thought. 

Just saw Part 2 ... and don't think it's been mentioned here (and don't care if it has), but I got an "Empire Strikes Back" vibe from this in the same way, due to the (1) awesomeness of the movie, (2) very different feel/pacing from the first movie, and (3) kinda cliffhanger-y ending without a 100% resolution of the storyline making me yearn for Part 3.

Now, if Denis ends up having Spice Ewoks in Part 3, I'm walking out.  YUB NUB!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

17 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

She was fine for how DV wanted to use Chani in this adaptation. But yea she wasn’t memorable, think that says more about the performances around her though.

It’s the lack of dialogue. Tough to really give a great performance without many lines.

7 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

Just saw Part 2 ... and don't think it's been mentioned here (and don't care if it has), but I got an "Empire Strikes Back" vibe from this in the same way, due to the (1) awesomeness of the movie, (2) very different feel/pacing from the first movie, and (3) kinda cliffhanger-y ending without a 100% resolution of the storyline making me yearn for Part 3.

It absolutely has "middle of the trilogy" vibes, the movie ends with starting and entire new war against all the great houses! 

And hey man, spice can do some crazy things to people. Neve rule out space crack ewoks

I’m actually pretty shocked we haven’t had any wailing about the patriarchy with the casual slaughter of the H’s female attendants. It fits the story, of course, but was still a bit shocking that they put it on film several times.

Username checks out

I’m actually pretty shocked we haven’t had any wailing about the patriarchy with the casual slaughter of the H’s female attendants. It fits the story, of course, but was still a bit shocking that they put it on film several times.

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Harkonnen slaughtered male or female if they were beneath them. I counted at least 2 males who either got smashed into oblivion or their throat slit for objecting to what Feyd-Rautha or Glossu Rabban wanted to do. I think Feyd-Rautha also stabbed a male with his knife after slitting the throats of the females. Being a servant or under the command of either seemed like a bad position to be in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

They sacrificed a bunch of dudes and hung them upside down to drain their blood and then used that blood as war paint in the first movie. They’re bad people. We’re not supposed to be surprised they do bad things. Why are we surprised they do bad things?

17 hours ago, Scary Stranger said:

I'm actually pretty shocked we haven't had any idiots from this broken culture shooting up theaters because they self-identified with a race of people waging genocide on a planet's indigenous population that happens to have dark skin. 

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

Christopher Nolan had the exact vibe.

“For me, I don’t think it’s saying too much to say that if Dune: Part One was Star Wars, this, to me, was very much The Empire Strikes Back, which is my favorite of the Star Wars films,” Nolan said. “I just think it’s an incredibly exciting expansion of all of the things [Villeneuve] introduce in the first one.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/christopher-nolan-compares-dune-part-two-to-the-empire-strikes-back/ar-BB1hSJrZ

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 1

Mmmmm grass.

Visually just wonderful. The choice to use infrared was masterful, the bubble fireworks were awesome.

Lot of simplifications from the book, and I don't disagree with them. The book contains so much complexity and world building that would take hours and hours to convey in a movie, and bore the hell out of any non-bookfags in doing so.

I absolutely love that Dune as a story is getting so much more public exposure and is succeeding in entertainment media with these movies. While I dislike many of the changes, I fully support them and am incredibly happy that the movies are so successful with such a large audience. I want as many people to know the Dune story and understand the greatness of the books as possible.

That said, this is one of my favorite books, and here's random bookfaggery. Warning, spoilers and bookfaggery, do not click:

Spoiler

Hated the decreased role of Hawat (and the disappearance of the mentat role at all). It's arguable that his being used as a Piter replacement let him guide the Harkonnen strategy to ruin and that he actually played more part in the final outcome than anyone else. (Even to the magnitude that it could be argued that without a Paul, Hawat would eventually have made the Harkonnen run themselves into a situation where the Fremen or Emperor killed them off anyways, or the Harkonnens tore themselves apart with infighting.) The book hints at it in many ways, for example the slave not being drugged in the ring is a Hawat idea in the book and is Hawat feeding Feyd plotting against the Baron. At one point Hawat is talking to the Baron and internal monologue is "this man is a clod, destroying him will be a service." Hawat knew Gurney was with the smugglers and left him be, possibly since that was more disruptive to Harkonnen ops.

Along that line, hated the diminishing of the Duke's top men like Gurney, Hawat, Idaho. These are men that were actual legends in their own right, some we learn of in later books, some in Brian Herbert later books. They weren't just supporting characters to the outcome. (I understand the artistic decision to keep the story moving and easy to understand, I don't disagree. But it doesn't really do justice/tribute to those characters.)

Hated the diminishing of Chani, Jessica, Alia. Chani is so much more to Paul in the book, not just a pouty flirt. Chani has a child and the child is killed in the Emperor battle. Chani's significance to the Water of Life scene with Paul unconscious has much more impact in the book. Jessica is so much more complex in the book, she goes from rebellious but still devout Bene Gesserit to a defiant Fremen leader in the books, turning on the Bene Gesserit by the end. Alia is born and develops to a young person in the book - Alia actually kills the Baron, and gives thought-memory messages to Paul through the battle. The final page of the book is a tribute to Jessica and Chani and their importance to the story (the book also repeatedly emphasizes the concubine vs wife conflict that Jessica lives her entire life and that Chani is thrust in to literally on the last page, it's an absolutely masterful connection of end to beginning). The movie just has it end as a kid stomping off being moody. (I fully understand it sets up well for the next movie and puts Chani in the "role" she plays in the next book. I don't disagree with the artistic decision.)

Hated the diminishing of Stilgar. The movie makes Stilgar seem an instant fanboi of Paul. He isn't, he's complex, he carries far more power and thoughtful dignity as a leader, he thinks about the impact of actions to all Fremen as a whole, and takes nearly the whole book to come around, it isn't until near the final battle where there's the line that Paul saw that Stilgar had been reduced to a follower.

The Baron was made too normal in the movie. The book, and the 1984 movie, do a better job of showing just how fucked up WEIRD he is.

Lasers and shields. The book explains why they aren't used; having them so commonly used in the movie really makes a lot of the outcomes implausible. "Why not just laser that?" pretty much figuratively shoots a hole (rimshot) in most of the plot if you want to think that way.

Canon on atomics location. One of the later Brian Herbert books I think mentions that they were buried in line with the planet's natural radiation axis so they couldn't be detected by scans. If those books are canon, this book putting them in a random cave violates it.

Again I know you need to show faces to have star appeal, but the movie did a poor job showing how critical water conservation was to every aspect of life. The open head stillsuits were an immediate issue. Per book, stillsuits showed a strip of eye, breath was never lost to desert, to where there were nose plugs to breathe through to condense exhaled moisture. The books talk of how righteous a feeling it was in the room to the water basin where they dumped Jamis' water, that the moist atmosphere was almost a blessed experience in itself. None of that was conveyed. The water of life basin was an open pool next to the sandworm basin. The desert in the movie just didn't <feel> hostile to survival.

Please don't take this wrong. I love the books, I like the movies, and I love that the movies are successful and support all the compromises needed to make them successful in mass market.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

They sacrificed a bunch of dudes and hung them upside down to drain their blood and then used that blood as war paint in the first movie. They’re bad people. We’re not supposed to be surprised they do bad things. Why are we surprised they do bad things?

Good point. Good point.

My son is home from school and had never seen the first Dune. We watched it last night and plan to go see Dune Part 2 on Friday afternoon. Glad I rewatched because I'd forgotten a lot of the first one. Since seeing the first one, I've watched parts of David Lynch's Dune on HBO and couldn't remember what was in one of the movies but not the other. Anyway, son LOVED Dune and said it was so much better than he expected.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

ACKSHUALLY that was the Saudakar with the mass human blood collection and crazy throat chant talking, the Harkonens all tend to be smooth and bald and morbid. The crazy black and white scenes on Geide Prime are the Harkonen home world, and Seluca Secundus is the homeworld of House Corrino (the Emperor) and their personal guard the Saudakar /nerd

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Thats the Sardukaur 

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

ACKSHUALLY that was the Saudakar with the mass human blood collection and crazy throat chant talking, the Harkonens all tend to be smooth and bald and morbid. The crazy black and white scenes on Geide Prime are the Harkonen home world, and Seluca Secundus is the homeworld of House Corrino (the Emperor) and their personal guard the Saudakar /nerd

Salusa Secundus was the original home of House Corrino.  However, in the second millennium after the Butlerian Jihad, House Tantor used their family atomics in a sneak attack on the planet and pretty much destroyed it.  House Corrino relocated to the planet Kaitain, but Salusa Secundus remained the home of the Sardaukar. Its harsh conditions were partially responsible for the development of their excellent fighting skills.

Couple more thoughts on Dune 2: The Movie:

1) Very enjoyable in imax. Great movie.

2) Walken is long past his prime and was miscast

3) Didnt care for the Paul and Chani’s plot armor. As dozen of Fremens get mowed down by air power, Paul and Chani are the only survivors. At least mix in a handful of survivors. Then next scene they are all partying it up - I get it, lives are expendable - but you suffered 90% casualties. Do better. You’re fighting sociopaths. They arent going to quit because of some damage to mining equipment.

4) After movie a man behind me was describing David Lynch’s movie, starring a singer named “Sting” - just Sting, from an 80’s band called “The Police”. I turned around and it was a dad talking to his teenaged son. Surprised he didnt jog the kids memory by saying Sting was in the streaming hit “Only Murders…”

5) Teenage girl sitting next to me bought the special Dune popcorn bucket. Had it in her lap the entire time. Took a few bites and carried it out with her. I then saw some dudes spill a bucket in their car. Are people selling these on ebay?

On 3/14/2024 at 3:10 PM, Sam Lin said:

Mmmmm grass.

Visually just wonderful. The choice to use infrared was masterful, the bubble fireworks were awesome.

Lot of simplifications from the book, and I don't disagree with them. The book contains so much complexity and world building that would take hours and hours to convey in a movie, and bore the hell out of any non-bookfags in doing so.

I absolutely love that Dune as a story is getting so much more public exposure and is succeeding in entertainment media with these movies. While I dislike many of the changes, I fully support them and am incredibly happy that the movies are so successful with such a large audience. I want as many people to know the Dune story and understand the greatness of the books as possible.

That said, this is one of my favorite books, and here's random bookfaggery. Warning, spoilers and bookfaggery, do not click:

Hide contents

Hated the decreased role of Hawat (and the disappearance of the mentat role at all). It's arguable that his being used as a Piter replacement let him guide the Harkonnen strategy to ruin and that he actually played more part in the final outcome than anyone else. (Even to the magnitude that it could be argued that without a Paul, Hawat would eventually have made the Harkonnen run themselves into a situation where the Fremen or Emperor killed them off anyways, or the Harkonnens tore themselves apart with infighting.) The book hints at it in many ways, for example the slave not being drugged in the ring is a Hawat idea in the book and is Hawat feeding Feyd plotting against the Baron. At one point Hawat is talking to the Baron and internal monologue is "this man is a clod, destroying him will be a service." Hawat knew Gurney was with the smugglers and left him be, possibly since that was more disruptive to Harkonnen ops.

Along that line, hated the diminishing of the Duke's top men like Gurney, Hawat, Idaho. These are men that were actual legends in their own right, some we learn of in later books, some in Brian Herbert later books. They weren't just supporting characters to the outcome. (I understand the artistic decision to keep the story moving and easy to understand, I don't disagree. But it doesn't really do justice/tribute to those characters.)

Hated the diminishing of Chani, Jessica, Alia. Chani is so much more to Paul in the book, not just a pouty flirt. Chani has a child and the child is killed in the Emperor battle. Chani's significance to the Water of Life scene with Paul unconscious has much more impact in the book. Jessica is so much more complex in the book, she goes from rebellious but still devout Bene Gesserit to a defiant Fremen leader in the books, turning on the Bene Gesserit by the end. Alia is born and develops to a young person in the book - Alia actually kills the Baron, and gives thought-memory messages to Paul through the battle. The final page of the book is a tribute to Jessica and Chani and their importance to the story (the book also repeatedly emphasizes the concubine vs wife conflict that Jessica lives her entire life and that Chani is thrust in to literally on the last page, it's an absolutely masterful connection of end to beginning). The movie just has it end as a kid stomping off being moody. (I fully understand it sets up well for the next movie and puts Chani in the "role" she plays in the next book. I don't disagree with the artistic decision.)

Hated the diminishing of Stilgar. The movie makes Stilgar seem an instant fanboi of Paul. He isn't, he's complex, he carries far more power and thoughtful dignity as a leader, he thinks about the impact of actions to all Fremen as a whole, and takes nearly the whole book to come around, it isn't until near the final battle where there's the line that Paul saw that Stilgar had been reduced to a follower.

The Baron was made too normal in the movie. The book, and the 1984 movie, do a better job of showing just how fucked up WEIRD he is.

Lasers and shields. The book explains why they aren't used; having them so commonly used in the movie really makes a lot of the outcomes implausible. "Why not just laser that?" pretty much figuratively shoots a hole (rimshot) in most of the plot if you want to think that way.

Canon on atomics location. One of the later Brian Herbert books I think mentions that they were buried in line with the planet's natural radiation axis so they couldn't be detected by scans. If those books are canon, this book putting them in a random cave violates it.

Again I know you need to show faces to have star appeal, but the movie did a poor job showing how critical water conservation was to every aspect of life. The open head stillsuits were an immediate issue. Per book, stillsuits showed a strip of eye, breath was never lost to desert, to where there were nose plugs to breathe through to condense exhaled moisture. The books talk of how righteous a feeling it was in the room to the water basin where they dumped Jamis' water, that the moist atmosphere was almost a blessed experience in itself. None of that was conveyed. The water of life basin was an open pool next to the sandworm basin. The desert in the movie just didn't <feel> hostile to survival.

Please don't take this wrong. I love the books, I like the movies, and I love that the movies are successful and support all the compromises needed to make them successful in mass market.

I am about halfway through the first book and while it is a lot to take in, the story is incredible. If it wasn’t for this Denis, I probably wouldn’t have ever thought about reading the books so I thank him for that. So far I can see why he made the decisions to change some stuff but I think as whole he’s kept the theme and message at the forefront. That could change as I get deeper in the book tho. 

Visually powerful. Way too many of the coolest elements of the book and older movie/miniseries left out. I was hoping part 2 would rectify that but it didn't. 

I rewatched 80s Dune and there was more story in the intro expositions and opening scene than 2 DV movies. But like he said, he was making a love story. 

But like mentioned above, DV has me rereading the book.

I was absolutely shocked to learn that there are now over 20 Dune books. The son and Kevin Anderson (wrote some popular Star Wars novels) have been prolific. 

13 minutes ago, DCLonghorn said:

I was absolutely shocked to learn that there are now over 20 Dune books. The son and Kevin Anderson (wrote some popular Star Wars novels) have been prolific. 

The new books...are not great. Read them if you're a huge fan. Don't read them otherwise, don't sully the memory.