2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

39 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

True but this requires a pretty educated voter to understand that. It’s much easier for the low educated voter to understand the simple concept of supporting your police department or not.

The low educated voters are being swayed by simplistic (and false) messaging and more needs to be done to tear down that messaging so that lower educated voters realize they are getting duped.

Ah.  I wasn't understanding your argument.

Yes, the Biden Harris campaign has to immediately get a focused message out about how they would support the police as well as address BLM-type concerns.  They need to come out pretty damn hard against anyone damaging people or property, whether they are citizens or whether they are on the job.  Lunch pail joe needs to schedule some "beer summits" with police and victims of police and needs to get photo ops of that shit.

31obama_600.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&dis

4 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Ah.  I wasn't understanding your argument.

Yes, the Biden Harris campaign has to immediately get a focused message out about how they would support the police as well as address BLM-type concerns.  They need to come out pretty damn hard against anyone damaging people or property, whether they are citizens or whether they are on the job.  Lunch pail joe needs to schedule some "beer summits" with police and victims of police and needs to get photo ops of that shit.

31obama_600.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&dis

This is actually pretty critical and time-sensitive.  Avoiding or ignoring the issue is not a winning strategy.

While it ultimately may not flip the election to Trump, it's actually important to be consistent.  Right now, there's not a clear message, other than the support peaceful protest / condemn violence and lawlessness response.  That message does not resonate for some because the two components have been merged and the arguments conflated in the political messaging from Trump.

One option is to counter with "this is Trump's America" followed by an enforcement of rule of law / constitution.  The latter part may be cringeworthy for the extreme left, but it's consistent with Biden's (and Harris') governing experience.  Just spitballing here, but I think it's easier to keep people in the fold using surrogates like Bernie than trying to win over whatever independents remain undecided or are at risk of going Trump in swing states.

43 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

The This is Donald Trump’s America has been a fantastic message so far.

Not sure if we know that yet, in terms of effectiveness.  Personally, I agree it's a great message, but is it effective for the people that are starting to lean Trump?

Edited by SizzleChest

1 hour ago, SizzleChest said:

Not sure if we know that yet, in terms of effectiveness.  Personally, I agree it's a great message, but is it effective for the people that are starting to lean Trump?

I think it will depend on what kind of hot spots and spikes we see in the next two months. Schools opening back up with children or someone at home getting sick, with some being serious will have a major impact come November. Unless it doesn’t and somehow the republicans were “right” about opening back up and everything being ok. But I don’t see the latter being at all feasible. Time will tell how effective these ads are. 

it's harder than ever to "win voters over with ideas" because of fox news, facebook, and fake news.

after the rnc speech, cnn had daniel dale, their resident fact-checker, on to recap, and he was like, "wow, where to start..."  but here's what has changed since the 60's or 80's or whenever the "good old days" are to you - lies don't need to be corrected.  in fact, you could argue the exact opposite is true.

in the old days, politicians lied, just like today.  but they lied about themselves.  they made promises and told people what they wanted to hear, and in many cases, it wasn't a lie yet, just a potential empty promise.  and the "all politicians lie" was baked in.  every one was assumed a partial liar, it was just a matter of degree.  but if you outright lied about the other side, it would be cleared up during the next interview or news story.  "mr biden, is it true that blah blah blah?"  "oh, thanks for clarifying."  no longer.

now trump can say biden wants to cancel football, defund the police, knock over the wall, and murder all redheads, and when biden responds (or cnn/msnbc calls it ridiculous), the right will yell "fake news" or worse yet - voters won't hear the rebuttal at all.  because fox news or infowars or some weird youtube shit i don't even know about not only will refuse to correct these, not only will they agree with the president, but in many cases, they're the ones who started the lie in the first place.

so i'm sorry if i don't buy into this as a messaging argument, or lack of a coordinated effort to target independent, issue-focused voters.  sure, i hope they do that.  but this is more about where people live than it is about where people stand on the political spectrum.  this is more about getting people to vote than it is about convincing voters of a certain opinion.  this is where voter suppression efforts come into play.  and whatever russia is doing, or china is doing, or ukraine, iran, who the f knows.

there are more of us than there are of them.  trump's approval rating is underwater.  if everybody voted, biden would win.  start there, and work backwards.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Homercles said:

I think there’s a ton of independents out there that just don’t follow it nearly as closely as those of us who regularly read the politics forum on a UT, sports-oriented message board.  If they don’t live in a protesting city, their lives have continued on normally outside of Covid and likely just assume all the flutter over Trump is ‘just politics’.  

Well under Obama it was mostly just politics...tan suits, mustard on burgers, obamaphone, even a lot of the attacks of the healthcare proposal.  

I don’t think a lot of these independents pay enough attention to realize just how many laws have been broken, efforts underway to limit voting, damage to NATO, pandering to repressive regimes, appointment of terribly under qualified candidates to key positions, active limitations to freedom of speech, thinly veiled racism, undermining of health commissions during a pandemic, dozens of lies each public appearance, embracing QAnon, blocking legislation, etc...the list just goes but I bet tens of millions are either dismissive of bothering to learn the issues or feel politics is in a normal state of affairs right now.  It’s sad, and scary.  

Mustard on burgers?  I hate that- I thought it was a Texas/southern thing. Are you saying it’s a black thing?  

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Mustard on burgers?  I hate that- I thought it was a Texas/southern thing. Are you saying it’s a black thing?  

No, Obama once ordered a burger with (I believe) Dijon mustard instead of getting ketchup on it like a child. It’s a people with taste buds thing.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

If Trump wins, it will send a pretty clear message that’s the majority of Americans don’t give a shit about truth, science, equality, rule of law as long as their team is winning. All of which will further erode the foundations of democracy, not just in America, but around the globe. It will expose the flaw of democracy, that people having the power is bad if the majority of the people are fucking idiots. 

The good news is I’m getting older, and hopefully will die before Rome falls 

Let’s be clear.  It’s not the majority.  It’s 70,000 Americans spread across three states that got this idiot elected.  At least it was last time.  I’m hopeful that doesn’t happen this time.  I just don’t think Trump has done anything to improve his performance in 2016 and folks are so sick of trump and Biden is not Hilary that the turnout will be there to ensure trump is rightfully shown the door.

23 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

No, Obama once ordered a burger with (I believe) Dijon mustard instead of getting ketchup on it like a child. It’s a people with taste buds thing.

Gotcha. Ketchup isn’t the correct answer either btw but it’s less egregious than mustard. Mayo on burger ftmfw. Also acceptable ranch/chili/guacamole. And of course grilled with melted butter unless you are a savage. 

25 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Let’s be clear.  It’s not the majority.  It’s 70,000 Americans spread across three states that got this idiot elected.  At least it was last time.  I’m hopeful that doesn’t happen this time.  I just don’t think Trump has done anything to improve his performance in 2016 and folks are so sick of trump and Biden is not Hilary that the turnout will be there to ensure trump is rightfully shown the door.

Yep. Anything beyond this is overthinking it. 

7 hours ago, Pancho said:

Really wish people would stop saying this is going to be a blowout or massacre.  It’s not.  It’s very very possible Trump wins again, and I’ve been leaning that way for the last week or so actually. 

BIden is going to do traditional campaigning after Labor Day, so let’s see polls then. 

It's going to be a blowout.

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Gotcha. Ketchup isn’t the correct answer either btw but it’s less egregious than mustard. Mayo on burger ftmfw. Also acceptable ranch/chili/guacamole. And of course grilled with melted butter unless you are a savage. 

I’ve thought in the past that people have been too hard on your opinions at times. But this post is so disgusting that it makes me reconsider all that.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I’ve thought in the past that people have been too hard on your opinions at times. But this post is so disgusting that it makes me reconsider all that.

Mayo on burger is disgusting?  Southwest burger is disgusting?  You are doing it wrong man. 
And if you ha e a problem with buttering a hamburger bun and then toasting it on the grill I literally don’t even want to know you. 
Who on earth doesn’t like that?  

Edited by Wulaw Horn

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Mayo on burger is disgusting?  Southwest burger is disgusting?  You are doing it wrong man. 
And if you ha e a problem with buttering a hamburger bun and then toasting it on the grill I literally don’t even want to know you. 
Who on earth doesn’t like that?  

Just stop man. I'm getting ready to eat dinner.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Pancho said:

Really wish people would stop saying this is going to be a blowout or massacre.  It’s not.  It’s very very possible Trump wins again, and I’ve been leaning that way for the last week or so actually. 

BIden is going to do traditional campaigning after Labor Day, so let’s see polls then. 

The next 5-6 days are going to be telling.

there is a lot of pro trump activity on the betting markets. People seem to be anticipating a Trump comeback. In 2016, right after the RNC, Trump made his move in the polls and things tightened considerably. Then That idiot comey put the nail in Clinton’s coffin,  I doubt there will be such a moment this year to help Trump tho. The comey thing barely ever happens, but it happened at the worst possible time, it dampened Democrat enthusiasm, emboldened Republicans, and had 6 or 7 days to simmer and stink up the polls.

cross your fingers for some similar Biden +7 or more national polls this week. We have had a lack of quality polling the last few weeks, but it is coming now that the conventions are over.

Edited by Voldemort86

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

murder all redheads...

Well, that would suck. 
I’m willing to risk it, however. 

I celebrate diversity with condiments and make a choice based on availability and mood. Gorgonzola, bleu cheese, american, swiss cheese, mayo, ketchup, guac, tomatoes,  and lots more are fair game. For the record though, my favorite since forever is golden mustard and lots of dill pickles. 

Mayo on hamburger debates on a Presidential Election Thread?  These are the days my friends!  

If some of y'all need some jizz on your TrumpBurger Cuck deluxes...you let me know.  Your wives and I have all night to make it right.  

6 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

there is a lot of pro trump activity on the betting markets. People seem to be anticipating a Trump comeback. In 2016, right after the RNC, Trump made his move in the polls and things tightened considerably. Then That idiot comey put the nail in Clinton’s coffin,  I doubt there will be such a moment this year to help Trump tho. The comey thing barely ever happens, but it happened at the worst possible time, it dampened Democrat enthusiasm, emboldened Republicans, and had 6 or 7 days to simmer and stink up the polls.

cross your fingers for some similar Biden +7 or more national polls this week. We have had a lack of quality polling the last few weeks, but it is coming now that the conventions are over.

That’s because the betting markets are factoring in that trump might steal it.

Biden will win the election. The only uncertainty is if it’s close, everyone knows trump will do whatever he can to steal it. Which is why it needs to be a blowout. 

So I get the don’t get complacent crowd. I agree. Everyone needs to be vigilant and vote early so it’s a blowout so trump has no choice but to get his fat ass the fuck out of this country with his miserable spawn lest they all get thrown in prison. 

7 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

6 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Yeah.

These two things are why I have concerns. 
This is the GOP we’re talking about. They will manufacture something with foreign assistance if they have to. They ARE NOT going to rely on just the accusations of mail in voter fraud. 
Bill Barr was globe trotting pre-COVID, so was Rudy, and so was ex CIA man Pompeo. 
Why would anyone expect them to be honest? They have been telling us who they are. LISTEN.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

it's harder than ever to "win voters over with ideas" because of fox news, facebook, and fake news.
after the rnc speech, cnn had daniel dale, their resident fact-checker, on to recap, and he was like, "wow, where to start..."  but here's what has changed since the 60's or 80's or whenever the "good old days" are to you - lies don't need to be corrected.  in fact, you could argue the exact opposite is true.
in the old days, politicians lied, just like today.  but they lied about themselves.  they made promises and told people what they wanted to hear, and in many cases, it wasn't a lie yet, just a potential empty promise.  and the "all politicians lie" was baked in.  every one was assumed a partial liar, it was just a matter of degree.  but if you outright lied about the other side, it would be cleared up during the next interview or news story.  "mr biden, is it true that blah blah blah?"  "oh, thanks for clarifying."  no longer.
now trump can say biden wants to cancel football, defund the police, knock over the wall, and murder all redheads, and when biden responds (or cnn/msnbc calls it ridiculous), the right will yell "fake news" or worse yet - voters won't hear the rebuttal at all.  because fox news or infowars or some weird youtube shit i don't even know about not only will refuse to correct these, not only will they agree with the president, but in many cases, they're the ones who started the lie in the first place.
so i'm sorry if i don't buy into this as a messaging argument, or lack of a coordinated effort to target independent, issue-focused voters.  sure, i hope they do that.  but this is more about where people live than it is about where people stand on the political spectrum.  this is more about getting people to vote than it is about convincing voters of a certain opinion.  this is where voter suppression efforts come into play.  and whatever russia is doing, or china is doing, or ukraine, iran, who the f knows.
there are more of us than there are of them.  trump's approval rating is underwater.  if everybody voted, biden would win.  start there, and work backwards.

Don’t disagree with a lot of this but would just point out that it should never be a choice between get more voters to the polls vs better messaging. Effective campaigns must get the message right and bring voters to the polls, and those two items are deeply intertwined.

Just now, Mrs Whiggins said:

These two things are why I have concerns. 
This is the GOP we’re talking about. They will manufacture something with foreign assistance if they have to. They ARE NOT going to rely on just the accusations of mail in voter fraud. 
Bill Barr was globe trotting pre-COVID, so was Rudy, and so was ex CIA man Pompeo. 
Why would anyone expect them to be honest? They have been telling us who they are. LISTEN.

Then he will be an illegitimate president and Americans should act accordingly.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, thepop said:

We just got the quality USC poll which had +12 or something. As I have been saying, y’all have 2016 PTSD. For the record I think +6 will be the final margin.

Trump will barely lose Texas and that will be all she wrote. Whatever happens everywhere else will be irrelevant after that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Don’t disagree with a lot of this but would just point out that it should never be a choice between get more voters to the polls vs better messaging. Effective campaigns must get the message right and bring voters to the polls, and those two items are deeply intertwined.

unfortunately, should's got nothing to do with it.

Honest question.  What is the reason for the polls tightening?  I mean are people really sitting there watching this President for the last 3 1/2 years and and have been telling the pollsters for the last 4 months “no way am I voting for Trump” and then the RNC has a convention and suddenly a bunch of these people are like, “you know what, maybe I should vote for him again”.  I don’t buy it but then again there are millions of idiots in this country.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t have an answer for what the polls show and don’t show. I mean I have an idea of what voters care about (lmao—not gonna go there again). Michael Moore is sounding off the same warnings right now he did in 2016. I’m not sure it’s the same but he’s looking at states like Minnesota and Michigan and I guess slammed Biden today or yesterday for maybe not campaigning in Michigan? I mean he was right back in 2016 but 2020 is a totally different set of circumstances. I get the whole do not get complacent thing. People have got to vote! And if it all possible vote early. 

29 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Trump will barely lose Texas and that will be all she wrote. Whatever happens everywhere else will be irrelevant after that. 

28 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Donald Trump is going to win Texas.

Yep. But it and Arkansas are within MOE. This MF is toast

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Honest question.  What is the reason for the polls tightening?  I mean are people really sitting there watching this President for the last 3 1/2 years and and have been telling the pollsters for the last 4 months “no way am I voting for Trump” and then the RNC has a convention and suddenly a bunch of these people are like, “you know what, maybe I should vote for him again”.  I don’t buy it but then again there are millions of idiots in this country.

I think its mostly people who aren’t paying attention just picking their usual side.

I think a lot of people give no shits about politics and answer (IDK or no decision). Closer to election, they end up picking the side they always do.

There are actually very few undecided voters.

IMO, I think the undecided voter is a complete myth.

People lose interest, pay attention to other stuff, and then have a ‘oh shit, that’s right. There’s an election in a couple months / weeks / days or so.’

And due to the fact that there’s only 2 parties, polls have to tighten.

On 8/24/2020 at 9:15 PM, Brisketexan said:

You should be wondering.
Because every Trumper I know already owned a firearm.
But I’ve advised several folks who have never owned a gun what to buy. They are, ummm, not Trump fans.
I’m sure there are some folks who bought guns because Antifa is coming to their suburban home, but a shitload of African Americans and jews armed themselves because...they should.

And I think fear of a Covid-related breakdown in society, i.e. a zombie apocalypse, may have driven it.

And taking Covid that seriously is not exactly a hallmark of the nutty right.

5 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I believe people in this country have short term memory, plus Trump has set the bar so low with his chaos and lies. People don’t dig deep and research the truth. They believe what they’ve been raised to believe, such as blacks don’t work and are lazy. Trump’s lies start running together and over time appear meaningless. He’s a master at smoke and mirrors. It’s concerning. 

I don’t think they are tightening.

I think the media is pushing outlier polls in order to have a horse race narrative.

And the fact that easily manipulated measures like betting markets are being used as evidence is peak Panic Punditry.

And Democrats have PTSD.

We got this same bullshit narrative leading up to the 2018 midterms about Kavanaugh and caravans.

Pundits gonna pundit.
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

This question has been answered by pollsters and the correct answer hasn’t been stated yet...

its engagement from the people on each team. The better your candidate is doing the more likely you are to answer a poll with that support for him, or tell people you are voting for him. He/she has a bad week and you don’t want to talk to the pollsters. 
so- they postulate it’s not people changing their minds it’s people more likely to answer a question vs avoid a question. 

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

I might need to do a Total Wine and More run erreyday until Nov. 3rd to stock up on the amount of alcohol I’ll need for that night. 

I've really cut back on my drinking the last few weeks so that when I get pass out drunk from November 1st to the 6th or 7th every night, I wont feel so guilty.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Donald Trump is going to win Texas.

Respectfully disagree. 

Trump and the republicans have lost the suburbs, which have driven politics in this state for going on at least 40 years. It will be close and there are still plenty of white male shitheads in the suburbs to make it close for trump, but it will be the white woman in places like grapevine who make the difference. 

Many Democratic posters on surly constantly insist that there are few if any independent voters that can truly be swayed to vote for Biden or Trump by now. They even get angry if you imply it’s possible.

They claim that almost all Independent voters have already made up their minds and that anyone in the Independent group still considering to vote for Trump were never going to vote for Biden anyway.

The argument is that Trump and the Republicans are so bad that anyone still pondering Trump is just a complete idiot, and just a Republican hiding as an Independent.

I agree with the Democrats that there is more than enough evidence that Trump is terrible. I also agree that the Independents still theoretically on the fence aren’t the smartest of voters.

Where I differ in viewpoint is that I believe the Democrat argument is way too simplistic. There are many, many factors that cause a person to cast a vote for someone or not. We’ve seen in elections throughout history that campaign messaging, influential voters, advertising, etc. changes people’s minds, even late in a campaign. The entire multi-billion dollar advertising industry is based upon this premise.

Where I also differ with Democrats is their belief that their offering is so superior to Trump and the Republicans in every way that anyone not already automatically decided for Biden will never vote Biden.

This is where the Democratic Party lack of self awareness hurts. Without getting into details of the Party’s policies, there are some legitimate questions about some of those policies that do frighten independents. Many times it’s because they don’t truly understand the policies. They just hear buzzwords like Defund the Police and assume the worst.

They aren’t educated voters, but they can still be won over. It’s not too late. Everyone should be fighting to the last hour to sway friends, colleagues, etc. to think hard about voting Biden. I believe this election, like many others in the past, will be decided by the Independents and that the die is not yet cast. I know this is an unpopular viewpoint on Surly, but if people just want to assume the race is done, then fine have fun watching at 3 in the morning like in 2016 where the unthinkable happened.

Anecdote:
My dad replayed the talking point in a faux-thoughtful manner stating to me “Kevin, all lives matter.” I asked him what the phrase BLM means? And he couldn’t explain it. I then went on a mild rant about his lack of crusade against the Beast Cancer movement because his own father died from colon cancer. When that failed, I used Nick Cannon’s rhetoric “does save the whales mean fuck all the other fish?”

When the conversation shifted to Defund the Police I once again asked him what that meant. He failed again. As I laid out some of the issues which he agreed with he didn’t think it was so horrible but because it came from me and not Rush/Tucker/Hannity he wasn’t sure how to think.

He did tell me that one of the founders was a Marxist. Then told me about Bolsheviks, socialists, communists and conflated them all. So once again your correspondent humbly asked him to define these terms and what they mean. He failed again. He did agree that the Democratic Peoples Republic of North Korea was neither Democratic nor a Republic. He failed to understand that the Soviet Union and China were never Communist and then defaulted these were just academic talk. I even tried to explain that Marxism is fractionated much like his beloved religion.

In the end he agreed that he knew little of the material in depth, he lacks the time to research the material and all but tacitly admitted he prefers to get the spoonfed version by the people on tv and radio that he trusts. And his religious leaders. He has all the time in the world to listen to horseshit, but not the time to check it. Basically he “takes no responsibility at all” for his political beliefs or opinions. This is what our fiscal conservative republicans figured out long ago.

He is not reachable. My mother already turned, she had her doubts but is now firmly against this shithead and his shithead family. Trump lost her vote on his own accord. His “beautiful tests kits” sent her over the edge.

Biden limping along will still get her vote. Trump can do nothing short of not being himself.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

Respectfully disagree. 

Trump and the republicans have lost the suburbs, which have driven politics in this state for going on at least 40 years. It will be close and there are still plenty of white male shitheads in the suburbs to make it close for trump, but it will be the white woman in places like grapevine who make the difference. 

I don’t know what happens but man how sweet would it be to watch CNN and Fox call Texas for Biden immediately followed by calling the presidency for Biden knowing the rest is academic at that point.  On 11/3 I want a Texas vs Colorado Big VII championship kind of night not a Texas vs USC night.

• Hook 'Em 4

Do we have a burger slapfight thread? Because I recall that protracted battle concerning Whataburger and In N Out. 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/jim-gaffigan-trump-twitter_n_5f489131c5b64f17e13b6853

Gaffigan, who is known for having a largely clean act, dropped a few F-bombs into his takedown and a few more in his replies to angry supporters of the president. One was aimed at former Notre Dame football coach Lou Holtz, who attacked Biden over his faith in an RNC speech this week, calling the former vice president “Catholic in name only” because he supports a woman’s right to choose.

Gaffigan, a Catholic himself, fired back: 

Edited by cactusflinthead

Lake Highlands Biden Signs Update.

Seem to be a slow growth of Biden signs and I'd say we are now at fiddy fiddy.  I'm sporting a sharp and simple Biden bumper sticker on my car but wife doesn't want a Biden yard sign because Trump supporters are crazy.  We do have a John Turner (Texas Rep) sign up, so that will send the message (that I'm voting Dem and I'm a pussy).

• Like 1

Respectfully disagree. 
That is exactly why Donald Trump will win Texas, albeit with a smaller margin than any GOP candidate in their active win streak. The suburbs have shifted, not flipped. Biden may eek out Williamson County. Suburban DFW and Houston are still red, just less so than they have been.