2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

Regarding the African American vote from 538. This could have larger implications in future elections:

Why does Biden do slightly worse (and Trump slightly better) among younger Black voters? According to the African American Research Collaborative poll, Black voters under 30 are less likely to think about their vote as support for the “Black community,” which could signal that they express lower levels of linked fate than their elders. Linked fate is the idea that Black Americans vote as a unified bloc in part because their history of being discriminated against in America has made them view their fate in a collective way. In the absence of strong feelings of linked fate, younger Black voters might feel less affinity for the Democratic Party. That same poll also found that Black voters under 30 were less likely than their elders to agree that the Democratic Party is welcoming to Black Americans, or to trust congressional Democrats to “do what is best” for Black people.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/2020-election-results-coverage/

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

PA is it.  Joe wins that and it is over EV wise, it then comes down to lawsuits, which is why its so important he pulls off a Florida or GA or NC or IA or TX, which turns this into a blow out.

The blowout is key to just shutting Trump's shit down.  And it will be comical to see the rats in the administration start to flee and do damage control on their own reputations, which will hopefully be tarnish forever.

• Hook 'Em 2

That group of deep-pocketed contributors combined to spend more on Democrats and their causes than on Republican efforts, bucking the nationwide trend of most sports owners. Former Vice President Joe Biden’s campaign drew $642,200 in support from owners of Los Angeles’ sports teams, compared to $7,971 donated to President Trump’s campaign.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I'm glad that the Democratic Party will have to actually perform to get their votes and they have the perfect opportunity. End qualified immunity for police officers, reinstate consent decrees, and publicize the shit out of both actions. 

This.  The Democratic party has done a fantastic job of taking minority votes for granted for decades (coasting mostly on the strength of legislative actions in the 1960s), and as a result, experienced eroding support.  But now that the GOP has gone all-in on white supremacy, the Democrats have another chance to actually EARN that support.  They oughta take it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

This.  The Democratic party has done a fantastic job of taking minority votes for granted for decades (coasting mostly on the strength of legislative actions in the 1960s), and as a result, experienced eroding support.  But now that the GOP has gone all-in on white supremacy, the Democrats have another chance to actually EARN that support.  They oughta take it.

putting a woman of color up as the VP has to help a lot. but more of the change happens at the local level. it can't be top-down (as we have all learned)

1 hour ago, thepop said:

it would be quite something if, as part of record turnout and Biden winning, the 18-25 yoa demographic finally, finally, actually increases their vote share substantially enough to make a difference. i mean, that would be really great. 

anecdotally, i know of 8 first time 18-20 yoa voters, only one of which was a probable Trump vote. 

if Biden wins, it will go a long way towards convincing the kids that yes, their vote DOES matter. 

direct quote from my niece two weeks ago: "it's only like the fucking most important thing you can fucking do as a fucking citizen, gawd!" lol 😄

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Maybe, but that statement at least counts as tempering expectations.

I usually think the back and forth here is mostly in good fun, but I’m gonna step aside now. Y’all are like military veterans with PTSD. Sharing any Trump positive news feels like I’m setting off black cats behind you. 

Seth Meyers Goodbye GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

Canadian food is very bland and bad. 

But never in a million years would they elect a guy like trump. 

Which is nice. 

Yeah.....by and large, the food leaves me unimpressed.  I do dig some good poutine, and Montreal smoked meat sandwiches are really good.  But otherwise, they ain't got much but "maple syrup everything!"  Any big city has a good international food scene, but true Canadian grub.....meh.

But yeah.....they look at the Trump phenomenon, and the vast majority shakes their heads like hell.  They do have some Trumpy people there, too, though.  No place in the world is immune from the current bout of the stupidest populism.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This is from two hours ago - so it was probably posted - but Federal Judge orders USPS to sweep processing facilities to make sure no ballots left behind:

Before any of you Trump Cunts bitch about this man.  remember two things---he personally remembers personal voter suppression on a personal level.  And Reagan appointed him to the Federal Bench and promoted by Bush.  And years later, he had a wild idea.  That the federal government used federal assets promised to the people to count their federal votes.  

I've been in the room when they decided ways to make voting harder.  Everything we knew then is at an end.  Voter suppression is too out in the open.  This cycle broke it.  Eventually the last leg of the effort, arresting minorities for small, victimless crimes so that they cannot vote ever again...even that will end.  If we're gonna let half-baked 90 year uneducated folks vote, we're gonna have to let pesky people of color cast a ballot or two to keep things fair.  As Mulaney said, "My 94 year-old Nana gets to vote.  That's not right.  You can't order for the whole table right before you leave the restaurant."  

I hope my old party worries as much as messaging, policy, and inclusion as it did about weird voter suppression techniques in 2020.  The Nation will be better off if they do.

Edited by Lobo

5 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Canadian food is very bland and bad. 

But never in a million years would they elect a guy like trump. 

Yeah, Trumpism could only happen here.  He'd have been laughed out of the primary in every other country.  Fox News has made 40% of this country full retards.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, gmr548 said:

I think FL is going to come down to the wire or be a Trump W. But I’ve been on NC for Democrats since super tuesday and haven’t seen anything to reconsider. An there’s a lot of indications in the past couple weeks that Georgia may fuck around and flip.

This is my thoughts too

11 minutes ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

Any reports of Proud Boys gridlocking parades or fake tough guy pollwatcher acts today?  I haven't seen.

I took a little lunchtime ride on my motorcycle.  I saw several 4X4s w/ big trump flags, but nothing Isis-like.  Gave them all a one -finger salute; felt like the right thing to do. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, iodeac said:

Charlotte Mecklenburg PD just arrested someone at a polling location for intimidating voters, he said he was there to "Watch the black people"

One guy watching black people seems minimal.  Mad Max Trump caravans descending on three or four urban voting stations in every state is a problem. 

I think the Proud Boys know the jig is up and Joe & Kamala is coming for them in February if they act up now.  

7 minutes ago, Foosters said:

sorry if already discussed, but is there any chance we get a result from PA tonight? I was under impression that we wont know outcome there for awhile.

No. The state law prohibited counties from processing mail ballots until today, you have a federal judge ordering the USPS to expedite ballot delivery, and many counties (often GOP leans, probably trying to hope Trump will sue to get them not counted), and Trump is going to sue to stop the count when in person election day votes show him ahead. It's why it's so important Biden gets to 270 elsewhere. PA, even though Biden will likely win it, will be a clusterfuck. And the courts cannot be trusted in a close contest.

4 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

Why is Florida always so gd terrible? Burn that state all the way to the ground.

That's just it, it's all the way to the ground.  We literally burned the thing flat down to the seas and swamps.  I lived 'on the hill' in DeLand, FL for two years.  It was 30' altitude.  I thought people were fucking with me, but it was "on the hill."  It's so fucking bizarre because unlike other shitty places where most people are stuck there for economic reasons, people keep flocking to Florida for some weird fucking reason that nobody has ever stopped to study.

Best analogy I ever heard was from my academic advisor there, who said something like "Remember in Ghostbusters II, where all the negative energy and nastiness of New York manifested itself in that pink slime under the city that they had to do battle with?  Florida is what happens if that pink slime was allowed to fester and form a landmass."  

Edited by Lobo

Just now, Horndog said:

Anyone with a translation? Higher turnout than expected? Lower? Higher in urban areas? Higher minority turnout? 

They probably planned on a train of busses to drive old people to the voting locations but didn't have the money.  And no one would take an IOU from Trump.