2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

35 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

This. This. This.

Presidential elections are largely meaningless for the average person. Only in a handful of states is the outcome uncertain leading up to election day for any given cycle.  Even then, it's usually known how 98.5%* of the precincts will vote. However, voting for mayor, city council, school board, etc. will directly determine your way of life. And a single vote always matters in elections that small. Counter the apathy of "my blue/red vote doesn't matter in a red/blue state" with the very real fact that it's the downballot races that truly impact our lives.  But good luck with that.

In my time as a youngin', there was a great push to engage the youth vote with the Rock the Vote campaign. Big names all over Mtv and elsewhere, imploring the youth of that day to get out and vote. Stickers, posters, t-shirts were everywhere. The world was going to change with the power of a new generation.  Made not one lick of difference in the final participation tally. There was no great increase in young people voting. It's just the nature of the beast. Unless you're an Alex P. Keaton or Tracie Flick, you don't care about "politics" because in the young person's mind, it's irrelevant.

The futility of the rest of your comment is best expressed by this revision:

Boomers are now the largest bloc of the population and you are getting newly eligible gen x every day.  They could run American politics and there's nothing the warmongering, deficit increasing silent generation could do about it, but they don't vote in large enough numbers.

Hate to break it to you, but there is no "generation" that has the answer and will save the world. That's the sentiment of a greenhorn. Millenials can, and will, be just as deplorable as they move into power positions. I present to you Jared Kushner. And Mark Zuckerberg. And Kim Jong-un. Currently, those are arguably the most powerful Millenials in the world. Not a great start for fixing things.

*No math was used in this formulation.

I think with the election of dotard a lot of Gen Zs are motivated.  They know it's a tragedy and especially with social media, they are much more aware than we were.  

9 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think with the election of dotard a lot of Gen Zs are motivated.  They know it's a tragedy and especially with social media, they are much more aware than we were.  

Agree.  See:

• Among 18- to 29-year-olds, voter turnout went from 20 percent in 2014 to 36 percent in 2018, the largest percentage point increase for any age group — a 79 percent jump.

there is a cap on it because of difficulties of first time voting. Registered? Know where to go? What to bring? Once you get the kinks ironed out the first time you basically never have them again.  So you’ll never see parity among the age groups. 

17 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Agree.  See:

• Among 18- to 29-year-olds, voter turnout went from 20 percent in 2014 to 36 percent in 2018, the largest percentage point increase for any age group — a 79 percent jump.

there is a cap on it because of difficulties of first time voting. Registered? Know where to go? What to bring? Once you get the kinks ironed out the first time you basically never have them again.  So you’ll never see parity among the age groups. 

Source please 

2 hours ago, Irieguy said:

You should announce that you are going to be buried under that tombstone in 2024. You know to reassure people and leave room for your successor.   That’s just as smart as a politician making himself a lame duck. 

Single vision pervades modern thinking regardless of ideology. It is inherently flawed. 

"Single Vision is what the sociologist Jacques Ellul decried as the ideology of “the one best way” which is Gebser’s “one-sided attitude” and which drives today’s trend towards authoritarianism and totalitarian thinking and which is very likely to conclude only in total self-annihilation and planetary destruction. Single Vision can also be described as a monomania, so at the extremity it lends itself to a kind of mass psychosis. 

The pathology of Single Vision arises only owing to its claim to exclusivity. Otherwise, it is an integral aspect of Fourfold Vision, and valid within that framework. But it is valid only for the domain of space and not of time and with the irruption of time and the return of the repressed, that also means the revival and resurrection of older forms of consciousness that are elements of our psychic legacy — what Gebser calls the latent archaic, the magical and the mythical structures of consciousness that were formerly cast into the outer darkness by “Urizen” or the mental-rational structure."

https://longsworde.wordpress.com/2020/07/29/single-vision/

With single vision, one misses 75% of information available. 

image.png.d6518c57c5010fa6a3f730645975df5a.png

Hook 'em

Edited by washparkhorn

This. This. This.
Presidential elections are largely meaningless for the average person. Only in a handful of states is the outcome uncertain leading up to election day for any given cycle.  Even then, it's usually known how 98.5%* of the precincts will vote. However, voting for mayor, city council, school board, etc. will directly determine your way of life. And a single vote always matters in elections that small. Counter the apathy of "my blue/red vote doesn't matter in a red/blue state" with the very real fact that it's the downballot races that truly impact our lives.  But good luck with that.
In my time as a youngin', there was a great push to engage the youth vote with the Rock the Vote campaign. Big names all over Mtv and elsewhere, imploring the youth of that day to get out and vote. Stickers, posters, t-shirts were everywhere. The world was going to change with the power of a new generation.  Made not one lick of difference in the final participation tally. There was no great increase in young people voting. It's just the nature of the beast. Unless you're an Alex P. Keaton or Tracie Flick, you don't care about "politics" because in the young person's mind, it's irrelevant.
The futility of the rest of your comment is best expressed by this revision:
Boomers are now the largest bloc of the population and you are getting newly eligible gen x every day.  They could run American politics and there's nothing the warmongering, deficit increasing silent generation could do about it, but they don't vote in large enough numbers.
Hate to break it to you, but there is no "generation" that has the answer and will save the world. That's the sentiment of a greenhorn. Millenials can, and will, be just as deplorable as they move into power positions. I present to you Jared Kushner. And Mark Zuckerberg. And Kim Jong-un. Currently, those are arguably the most powerful Millenials in the world. Not a great start for fixing things.

*No math was used in this formulation.
First point, agreed. Second, of course not but right now the primary economic and political identity of the generation is getting wrecked by boomers' mismamagement - student loans, 2008-10 recession, national debt, etc. And yet we still don't vote. So my point isn't a "omg mellenials will save the world" post; the world is fucked because people are stupid trash, but more of a "know that if you don't vote that's tacit approval of these things."

Though I'd take the bet that the current

10 minutes ago, Pancho said:

What are they up to?

Probably hooking him up with more republican operatives to help him get on the ballot in more states. They are delusional if they think he’s going to pull as many votes as Gary Johnson did in 2016. A lot of those votes were protest votes against Clinton because people think she had it in the bag, hated her, and didn’t want to actually vote for her or they supported Bernie and think the DNC screwed him with the whole super delegate thing.

A lot of the Bernie bro’s both aren’t as mad this time around and they’ve seen how awful trump is, so they’re hopefully not going to sit out or waste their vote by going 3rd party this year.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Problem is we’ve been hearing “not sure we understand how motivated [insert new voter generation here] really is” for decades now without ever actually seeing them show up on voting day. Hope this time is different but it would be foolish to plan on it. 

There's also the option: Give them an actual reason to show up.

But, nah.

1 hour ago, washparkhorn said:

Single vision pervades modern thinking regardless of ideology. It is inherently flawed. 

"Single Vision is what the sociologist Jacques Ellul decried as the ideology of “the one best way” which is Gebser’s “one-sided attitude” and which drives today’s trend towards authoritarianism and totalitarian thinking and which is very likely to conclude only in total self-annihilation and planetary destruction. Single Vision can also be described as a monomania, so at the extremity it lends itself to a kind of mass psychosis. 

The pathology of Single Vision arises only owing to its claim to exclusivity. Otherwise, it is an integral aspect of Fourfold Vision, and valid within that framework. But it is valid only for the domain of space and not of time and with the irruption of time and the return of the repressed, that also means the revival and resurrection of older forms of consciousness that are elements of our psychic legacy — what Gebser calls the latent archaic, the magical and the mythical structures of consciousness that were formerly cast into the outer darkness by “Urizen” or the mental-rational structure."

Hook 'em

Should have posted this in the Dan Crenshaw thread

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This actually not that far fetched in this horrible simulation.

That was actually my first thought.  It's the stupidest possible explanation, so it's completely what I expect from Trump.

And, for the record, if they did that, they'd lose a ton of their racist voters.

11 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

Also, has anyone done the math on the number of eligible voters that have turned 18 since 2016?  And the number of Trump voters who have died?

I think people are underestimating how politically motivated Gen Z is in this election.  Stating the obvious, but if even a respectable number of these folks cast a ballot, this is a blowout of epic proportions.

10 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Problem is we’ve been hearing “not sure we understand how motivated [insert new voter generation here] really is” for decades now without ever actually seeing them show up on voting day. Hope this time is different but it would be foolish to plan on it. 

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

As a millenial, disagree. Younger voters need to know what their abstaining means. Millenials are now the largest bloc of the population and you are getting newly eligible gen z every day. They could run American politics and there's nothing the whiny ass boomers could do about it, but they don't vote in large enough numbers.

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

On this topic:

https://www.dataforprogress.org/blog/2020/8/12/how-much-turnout-could-matter-in-november

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Boy, the reading comprehension on this site is just totally and completely terrible. Like just about everything else in this world that I can’t control I have an opinion, sometimes even voice it, and then go on with life. 

Have you ever considered, and I'm just throwing this out there, NOT?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

Nice read. Thanks.

Notably, the chart shows that as turnout increases, so too does Biden’s margin over Trump. If turnout was especially low, say around 70% of registered voters, then Biden would be in a tossup race with Trump. This would be abnormally low turnout for a presidential election, but consistent with an average midterm election.

Chilling to think about this as a tossup race. More work to be done. 

19 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Nice read. Thanks.

Goes back to point I made with the Texas county map from the 2018 election between Beto and Cruz. The blue counties represented 60 percent of the state's population but only 47 percent of the vote.

It's only the low turnout that's kept Texas red this long, because so many don't think their vote counts.

*ahem*

Edited by bolverk
  • Hook 'Em 3

They note that level of turnout is on par with an average midterm.

I'm skeptical that 70 percent of RVs vote in midterms, but turnout is more commonly measured as a percentage of voting eligible population, so it's apples and oranges.

If that is true, there's zero chance this election has the turnout of an average midterm. Not to downplay its importance, but that's just not happening.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Hook 'em

OMG you are so scholarly!!! Some positions only need a single vision. The Earth is round. Making yourself a lame duck is idiotic. End of discussion. 

15 minutes ago, Llogg said:

The list of things I don’t share an opinion on is endless. I pretty much participate in horse race threads because I find that to be the equivalent of a pre-game X and O’s which I find interesting, and at the end of the day you have a conclusive and final answer as to who is right and who is wrong. 

Just now, bolverk said:

It's only the low turnout that's kept Texas red this long.

That is simply tragic. Choosing not to vote becomes a vote for the status quo. (h/t Satre  - "In one sense choice is possible, but what is not possible is not to choose. I can always choose, but I must know that if I do not choose, that is still a choice." And Neil Peart, of course).

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

there's zero chance this election has the turnout of an average midterm

There are forces out there, as you undoubtedly know, actively seeking to depress voter turnout. With the ongoing pandemic, they have a force multiplier at their disposal. But I agree - I think we are looking healthy voting numbers - but many will still choose not to vote. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

We need to stop telling younger Americans "you don't vote." It becomes an expectation of failure. That metric applied to many prior elections. But they are energized for this election.  And we do need a campaign that encourages them to vote. They should wear those "I Voted" stickers with pride.

Hook 'em

The young voters in our family voted. I went with the newest voter his first time to take some of the newness out of it and to also explain how things work when one is a college student (sometimes campuses make it more difficult for students vs easier). I heavily encouraged vote shaming among his peer groups of friends--explaining that your vote is private but you damn well better get out and participate. It seems to have had some effect; they were the first to report about the VP selection and had plenty to say about it. It also helps that I use this message board to talk politics in a specific manner whereas around the supper table, we tackle issues and the politics is on the periphery.

2 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Hook 'em

^^^^I have no idea what I just read right there.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Feel free to ignore me though, if it would make your life better. You putting me on ignore is the functional equivalent of making sure you never have to read my opinion at all!  It’s really easy. Just takes a couple clicks! 

6 minutes ago, Llogg said:

This, but it's too late for that this year.

No it's not. Just adopt a platform that helps young people and gives them hope for a better future. All Biden/Harris will offer is a return to 2014, which is a time when young voters had no real hope for the future but everything felt nicer.

2 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

There are forces out there, as you undoubtedly know, actively seeking to depress voter turnout.

It's true.

We can talk about Russia and the Republicans and blah blah blah fucking blah, but let's take care of the plank in our eye before talking about the thorn in someone else's.

If we lose this election due to lack of youth turnout it's our own fault. It's like nominating a Klansman and being mad that blacks didn't turn out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Very trumpian. But I suppose fighting fire with fire is an option. Cheers.

No problem. Saying the moon is made of cream cheese is just wrong and merits no debate. Making yourself a lame duck is just wrong and merits no debate. That’s why you haven’t made any real effort to defend it. There are an exceedingly small number of ideas that merit no debate or examination. This is one of them. 

Edited by Irieguy
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I have no idea what I just read right there.

Nothing groundbreaking. Those with a singular vision claiming "one truth" ignore time, the effects of time on a position, and other dominant views now suppressed. Simply put - if you think you have discovered truth - its best not to close your mind to other possibilities. 

8 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

Making yourself a lame duck is just wrong and merits no debate. 

The rub there is Biden is running as a one-term President. Denying that fact creates cognitive dissonance in supporters and opportunity for opponents, which is a vulnerability and creates cascading effects.  But I respect the conventional wisdom in your position. 

2 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

The rub there is Biden is running as a one-term President. Denying that fact creates cognitive dissonance in supporters and opportunity for opponents, which is a vulnerability and creates cascading effects.  But I respect the conventional wisdom in your position. 

I cascaded in to your mom. 

34 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

They note that level of turnout is on par with an average midterm.

I'm skeptical that 70 percent of RVs vote in midterms, but turnout is more commonly measured as a percentage of voting eligible population, so it's apples and oranges.

If that is true, there's zero chance this election has the turnout of an average midterm. Not to downplay its importance, but that's just not happening.

A fair number of non-voters really have no interest in voting. It's really another chore or waste of their time. In some cases, they really don't even know who is running or any difference between the candidates. They don't post ad nauseam about politics like we do. They might be registered only because it sounded like a good idea at the time.

You also have some people that shallowly self-identify with a party but they wouldn't be able to expand on why outside of one sentence. I think these people are very unreliable voters as well. they care but maybe not enough to spend more than 10 minutes in line. They also don't know much about the candidates other than the party.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Goes back to point I made with the Texas county map from the 2018 election between Beto and Cruz. The ble counties represented 60 percent of the state's population but only 47 percent of the vote.

It's only the low turnout that's kept Texas red this long, because so many don't think their vote counts.

*ahem*

There is a counter argument that I’ve heard That Texas also has a ton of lazy republican voters that don’t go out and vote GOP bc what’s the point- my team is going to win anyway I don’t have to show up to the ballot box to make that happen, and if/when democrats ever win a statewide race, or get close enough to scare the GOP that this voter disappears and it’s back to the same proportion. 
I don’t know if this is true, but I’ve seen it cited on here (longhorn lawyer maybe?) and it’s not hard to think that the no voters aren’t going to break 90-10 or 100-0 to one particular party. 
So, then it just becomes the same thing as any other election- convince yours to show up for you, convince the others not to show up for them. So you have to line your own voters and areas and not waive a magic wand and get everyone that doesn’t vote to want to vote- because if you do that you are just bringing in a ton of the other guys vote. 
As an example- I think something like 35% of regular attending church people don’t vote. Maybe 40%. If you dragged them to the polls in Texas which way they gonna vote?  Similarly to apathetic people in the valley the other way- you probably get 65/35 GOP with the first group and 65/35 DEM with the second group.  Probably ends up being pretty close to a push all said and done. 
Maybe?  
Like I said- I’ve read the data on here (or maybe shag) but it was a long time ago and I don’t remember it offhand. 
mess looking at some Pew stuff and Obama fixed the turnout problem in 08 and 12 and it went back to blacks voting about 5% less than whites in 2016. Be interesting to see if Obama halo plus lady of color sees blacks outvote whites by percentage like happened with Obama but in no other elections. 
My guess is you are probably correct, but it’s not quite as straightforward as you think. I’d also suspect that if more people showed up, and taxes got more competitive, then the quality of our candidate might go up, but I suppose you could file this as a fools Hope. 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

The rub there is Biden is running as a one-term President.

Is that really a problem? Does every President need 2 terms? The current one certainly doesn't. Uncle Joe is old and we all know it. We also know we need him to lead us out of this dark time in our history. Whether Kamala or some other Democrat succeeds him isn't important. We have to stop the trauma now.

Edited by RPM
not plural
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

There is a counter argument that I’ve heard That Texas also has a ton of lazy republican voters that don’t go out and vote GOP bc what’s the point

I'm honestly afraid to put up Biden signs around my hay fields. I know the locals and how they would react. Rural Texas is still very aggy.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, RPM said:

Is that really a problem? Does every President needs 2 terms? The current one certainly doesn't. Uncle Joe is old and we all know it. We also know we need him to lead us out of this dark time in our history. Whether Kamala or some other Democrat succeeds him isn't important. We have to stop the trauma now.

Agree - a one term presidency is not a problem given the present circumstances. It is a luxury and stabilizing. And it is consistent with many of those willing to vote for Biden in 2020 and our general perception that Biden is running as a caretaker President. 

There is a counter argument that I’ve heard That Texas also has a ton of lazy republican voters that don’t go out and vote GOP bc what’s the point- my team is going to win anyway I don’t have to show up to the ballot box to make that happen, and if/when democrats ever win a statewide race, or get close enough to scare the GOP that this voter disappears and it’s back to the same proportion. 
I don’t know if this is true, but I’ve seen it cited on here (longhorn lawyer maybe?) and it’s not hard to think that the no voters aren’t going to break 90-10 or 100-0 to one particular party. 
So, then it just becomes the same thing as any other election- convince yours to show up for you, convince the others not to show up for them. So you have to line your own voters and areas and not waive a magic wand and get everyone that doesn’t vote to want to vote- because if you do that you are just bringing in a ton of the other guys vote. 
As an example- I think something like 35% of regular attending church people don’t vote. Maybe 40%. If you dragged them to the polls in Texas which way they gonna vote?  Similarly to apathetic people in the valley the other way- you probably get 65/35 GOP with the first group and 65/35 DEM with the second group.  Probably ends up being pretty close to a push all said and done. 
Maybe?  
Like I said- I’ve read the data on here (or maybe shag) but it was a long time ago and I don’t remember it offhand. 
mess looking at some Pew stuff and Obama fixed the turnout problem in 08 and 12 and it went back to blacks voting about 5% less than whites in 2016. Be interesting to see if Obama halo plus lady of color sees blacks outvote whites by percentage like happened with Obama but in no other elections. 
My guess is you are probably correct, but it’s not quite as straightforward as you think. I’d also suspect that if more people showed up, and taxes got more competitive, then the quality of our candidate might go up, but I suppose you could file this as a fools Hope. 

It's definitely not a push. The bottom line is that each additional vote is more likely to benefit democrats because they're more likely to come from democratic constituencies - youth, minority, etc. There are a lot more non voters in these groups than in the older, whiter GOP leaning side. The lattter votes at much higher rates, doesn't have as many bodies to pull off the bench. So yes there are little old church ladies, but on a whole increased turnout benefits democrats because the additional votes, as a whole, will skew more blue than the existing electorate.
  • Hook 'Em 1