HBO Max streaming service

Saint Austin

Rehashing the same story from the books is a horrible idea. From movie 3 and beyond the films did that story already and did it very well.

Maybe a HP show will improve upon the first two movies and then get canceled. That's the best case scenario.

Edited by Hawndoh

2 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

Rehashing the same story from the books is a horrible idea. From movie 3 and beyond the films did that story already and did it very well.

Maybe a HP show will improve upon the first two movies and then get canceled. That's the best case scenario.

Go all in on GoT style, like a whole episode of Hagrid just balls deep in Olympe Maxime, literal giant cumshots, he’s got the umbrella out, everything.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 2

I’m concerned Discovery will fuck this up but from a different angle than most here. We watch both of these and they have both gotten messy with the early merge. Discovery+ is excellent for true crime, food, and other reality content, and HBO for no bettah stuff. The HBO max app just sucks, not just in layout but in certain operational things that just annoy.

I prefer keeping them separate elements regardless of how they bundle them. I prefer HBO retain all its shows, in one place, like nfl films, but they won’t.

• 3 weeks later...

Mona Lisa with Bob Hoskins, Cathy Tyson and Michael Caine. I heard Colin Quinn talking about how it's one of his favorite movies so much so that he went back and watched every movie with Bob Hoskins in it he could find. This one is about a pugnacious, bull-headed guy who gets out of prison after several years of keeping his mouth shut and is given a job driving a London call girl from job to job as a reward. 

image.thumb.png.cd6c4a9a7d6d319113ca39586901db44.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Jlhoski

17 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Mona Lisa with Bob Hoskins, Cathy Tyson and Michael Caine. I heard Colin Quinn talking about how it's one of his favorite movies so much so that he went back and watched every movie with Bob Hoskins in it he could find. This one is about a pugnacious, bull-headed guy who gets out of prison after several years of keeping his mouth shut and is given a job driving a London call girl from job to job as a reward. 

image.thumb.png.cd6c4a9a7d6d319113ca39586901db44.png

Hoskins gangster flicks are underrated. The Long Good Friday is a terrific film. 

Just started Love and Death.  Almost done with first episode.  Outstanding so far.

Lived in Garland throughout my childhood in the 70's, so this hits close to home.

My God, what a trip down memory lane. The music, fashions, cars and just the way people talked/acted.  Spot on.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Jlhoski

Hoskins gangster flicks are underrated. The Long Good Friday is a terrific film. 

yes, also on HBO. Put it on my list to watch next.

1 hour ago, Augustus said:

Just started Love and Death.  Almost done with first episode.  Outstanding so far.

Lived in Garland throughout my childhood in the 70's, so this hits close to home.

My God, what a trip down memory lane. The music, fashions, cars and just the way people talked/acted.  Spot on.

Love & Death has me confused between it and some other movie that came out a couple years ago (maybe netflix or hulu) based on a murder and an affair in an east Texas town.

9 hours ago, Chopper said:

yes, also on HBO. Put it on my list to watch next.

Love & Death has me confused between it and some other movie that came out a couple years ago (maybe netflix or hulu) based on a murder and an affair in an east Texas town.

Candy on Hulu with Jessica Biel in the Elizabeth Olsen role

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

The biel one was good - I liked Biel (always have) and always enjoy Jonah. Timberlake made an appearance as well. And someone here hates the woman who played the victim but I like her as well - she was the shitty KC boss in Last of Us.

I’ll pick back up with Somebody Somewhere. That’s a Duplass brothers thing and has that very small every day feel.

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Candy on Hulu with Jessica Biel in the Elizabeth Olsen role

The decision to make a second version within 2 years about the same ~1980 murder in Wiley is strange. I watched the preview and my thought was that I had seen it before but how was that possible when it's brand new. 

I noticed Moonage Daydream about David Bowie is now on the super max platform. Somewhat of a split of opinon b/w critics and non-critics on this one. I find the typical format of documentaries about artists a bit tiresome so will give this a shot. (from AO Scott in NYT:)

image.thumb.png.9115b4830623e617f0991ddf95bd4b07.png

Edited by Chopper

i mean have you watched the show?

I don't listen to true crime podcasts, but  (1980s spoilers)   

Spoiler

Dallas Suburb Church Mom loses her shit and butchers a neighbor and then is acquitted of the crime and goes on living her life

seems about as interesting as most cases that get adapted into movie and film. Doing 2 seems strange but I can see how that happens from time to time - I imagine people know what is being shopped around and developed within the industry but it's not like Candy premiered and then someone at HBOMax decided to do the same thing.

Edited by Celery Man

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Candy Montgomery case isn’t very interesting. And yet, every major true crime podcast has an episode about Candy. And now two major streamers have a series on it.

Elizabeth Olsen is too talented for this shitty material. 

The outcome of the trial is what makes it interesting.

On 4/30/2023 at 9:26 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

The Candy Montgomery case isn’t very interesting. And yet, every major true crime podcast has an episode about Candy. And now two major streamers have a series on it.

Elizabeth Olsen is too talented for this shitty material. 

I didn’t watch the Hulu version and don’t do much true crime beyond Dateline so it’s new to me. Olsen is really great in this and I’m enjoying it so far. 

The Other Two is back as well. Still ridiculous and funny. 

On 4/29/2023 at 9:14 PM, Post Oak said:

S2 of Somebody Somewhere.

S1 was really good and this one started out good too. 

It's a sweet, charming , funny, feel good show. The two main characters have great chemistry.

Only 30 minutes

I really like it

I agree. Could have gone without the toilet scene at the end of episode 2 this season, however.

• Hook 'Em 1

Once Larry is done with HBO this year, then I am done also. Funniest show in TV history as far as I'm concerned.  Been a consistent subscriber since the second year of The Sopranos. Liked GOT, didn't like the sequel much.

On 4/13/2023 at 7:54 AM, Celery Man said:

Go all in on GoT style, like a whole episode of Hagrid just balls deep in Olympe Maxime, literal giant cumshots, he’s got the umbrella out, everything.

I have never seen any of those movies and i can't even tell you which characters those are BUT i would totally watch what you just described. 

1 hour ago, msbesq said:

Once Larry is done with HBO this year, then I am done also.

This is what I said. We dropped HBO for years after the Sopranos ended. Then I watched the first two episodes of Barry at a friend's house and I had to get it. That was about three years ago. It just feels like HBO has more high quality series than Netflix or any of the others.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

What’s the difference between an HBO original and a MAX original?

Max originals are produced for the app. “Outside the traditional HBO audience” they say. So not their Sunday or Monday night programming 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, msbesq said:

Once Larry is done with HBO this year, then I am done also. Funniest show in TV history as far as I'm concerned.  Been a consistent subscriber since the second year of The Sopranos. Liked GOT, didn't like the sequel much.

Curb might keep me hanging on a bit longer after Succession. Their new movie selection sucks. They went all in on classic movies, which I can respect, but one good series at a time isn’t worth $15 a month. 

They really need a big hit on Monday nights, or bring back the Saturday night new release movies.

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, WBT said:

And they embedded the HBO "O" in the a.  Some real ad wizardry going on.

It's going to be a case study in brand mismanagement.

I've never met anybody that wanted to outright subscribe to Cinemax by itself, unlike HBO.

It's like "oh, you're tossing in Cinemax with my HBO subscription?  Okay, whatever, sure, this isn't costing me more is it?"

Talk about brand mismanagement. They aren’t just taking HBO off the name to make it a sub brand in the thing, but they are evidently killing Discovery. The pitch page for max doesn’t mention Discovery but says “look at all the new reality programming with pics of chip and Joanna Gaines and Sig.

Cinemax is such an irrelevant brand in 2023 that I, someone who used to spend sleepovers looking at titties through cinemax fuzz and who discovered chaffing one summer when everyone got cinemax for free for some reason, had no idea that "max" even related to Cinemax and would not have known that if I didn't read about it here. For a brief second I think "well they had Dexter and shit like that" and then remember that that is Showtime.

43 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Cinemax is such an irrelevant brand in 2023 that I, someone who used to spend sleepovers looking at titties through cinemax fuzz and who discovered chaffing one summer when everyone got cinemax for free for some reason, had no idea that "max" even related to Cinemax and would not have known that if I didn't read about it here. For a brief second I think "well they had Dexter and shit like that" and then remember that that is Showtime.

Banshee says hi

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I didn’t know the max had to do with Cinemax. I thought it was their way if not using plus like everyone else. Discovery had little to do with education anymore it seems, but it’s a really odd merger, especially mixing HBO stuff with Discovery reality tv. I’m done paying for new apps. Netflix and the Hulu/Disney plus combo is it for me, plus Amazon that comes with the annual prime membership.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1