COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

Allen is such an aggy place. 

It sure feels that way. I live in Allen and have mostly enjoyed it. The new superintendent has handled all this poorly. And most people around here apparently don’t believe in COVID. Our elementary principal won’t wear a mask. Horrible leadership- knowing that the 450 kids that she is in charge of can’t get vaccinated and she can’t be bothered to even put on a mask. The district won’t mandate masks, but you can lead by example.
Just like this coach could have, but chose not to. I feel callous saying it, but I don’t have sympathy for someone who’s choices cause other people to get sick and/or die. This guy didn’t get to teach a class, but with coaching of the football team, likely contributed to the 26 (reported) cases at Allen High School.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

17 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

A hospital can not turn someone away. EMTALA says hi

I have a firewall but something doesn’t add up about this story. If a patient truly needs ICU care and there’s no room in formal icu then they would stay in the ER and receive treatment. It’s possible and occasionally happens. For as long necessary until a transfer to either the icu or another facility. If you decide to leave on your own you’re doing so AMA. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, Muy Frio said:

I have a firewall but something doesn’t add up about this story. If a patient truly needs ICU care and there’s no room in formal icu then they would stay in the ER and receive treatment. It’s possible and occasionally happens. For as long necessary until a transfer to either the icu or another facility. If you decide to leave on your own you’re doing so AMA. 

Yeah- this is exactly what happened to

my dad a couple months ago. He went to the ER, got treated, they told us they were going to move him to the ICU. Cool- when are you going to move him?  Them- whenever a bed opens up. Might be an hour, might be a day (it was like 3 or 4 hours). 

• Hook 'Em 1

1233644952_Screenshot2021-08-25084121.thumb.png.c83cb53064e661cc13f59d62980e64b7.png

A visual of this thread.  I'm guessing our post count by day is a lagging indicator of where Texas is. 

Our posts by day in this thread show we've peaked.

I mean the lack of activity around the holidays kind of blows that theory up but okay
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Muy Frio said:

The hospital was out of horse paste so there was nothing they could do.

• Haha 1

Not to sound insensitive but isn't the next thing to do for a horse/human if deworming paste doesn't work, according to Dr. Gary Larson-DVM, is to shoot the sick horse/person?  

I predicted hospitalizations would peak at 350.  I assumed a much higher percentage of unvaxxed people had already been infected.  Boy was I wrong.  What a dumbshit I am.  This is so fucked.

If one of my little girls gets seriously sick and receives less-than-standard care in any way due to the surge of unvaccinated people putting stress on the local healthcare system, I will likely become a vigilante.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 5

Whoever said hospitals weren’t turning folks away (or couldn’t), they are.  Not just in Texas.  
https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/26/us/covid-florida-doctor-cancer-patient/index.html

Dr. Nitesh Paryani, a third-generation radiation oncologist in Tampa, Florida, recently was forced to make a decision that he says he and his family have never had to make in 60 years of treating patients. 

A nearby hospital was working to transfer a cancer patient to a location that had adequate treatment options. Paryani said he regularly accepts such patients, but for the first time, could not do so due to the number of those sick from Covid-19.

"We just didn't have a bed. There was simply no room in the hospital to treat the patient," he told CNN's Chris Cuomo in an interview Wednesday.

• Rage+1 1

53 minutes ago, South Austin said:

This is why I could never be a doctor, because if a cancer patient needed space at my hospital, and I had one or more unvaccinated MAGA assholes taking up capacity, I'd dump one of those patients in the basement in favor of the cancer patient.

Just the unvaccinated MAGA folks or any of those who choose to not vaccinate, like the 60% of black adults and the 55% of Hispanic adults in this country who have yet to get one shot?  Do they get treated or go to the basement?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

Just the unvaccinated MAGA folks or any of those who choose to not vaccinate, like the 60% of black adults and the 55% of Hispanic adults in this country who have yet to get one shot?  Do they get treated or go to the basement?

Depends on their favorite sports teams.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Serious question.  Where could I find the information on vaccination by ethnic demographic in Texas?  I've been pretty curious about this and haven't asked Google the right way yet.  Much appreciated. 

/edit.  Nevermind.  I think I found it.

Edited by dcbc

4 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Serious question.  Where could I find the information on vaccination by ethnic demographic in Texas?  I've been pretty curious about this and haven't asked Google the right way yet.  Much appreciated. 

This is closest I have seen.  You could probably do math and get to the Texas specific vaccine rate by race.

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/issue-brief/latest-data-on-covid-19-vaccinations-race-ethnicity/

11 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

This is closest I have seen.  You could probably do math and get to the Texas specific vaccine rate by race.

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/issue-brief/latest-data-on-covid-19-vaccinations-race-ethnicity/

I saw that.  Texas Tribune took a stab at it too, but it has one of the worst graphs I ever have seen, and I just gave up.  I know it's not all MAGA Freedumb Fighters.  But they're just so darned vocal about it.

Pages back, I tried to do some nonsensical extrapolations based on the state's demographic makeup, cases by demographic, and deaths by demographic.  But it was to extrapolatey to be useful

Edited by dcbc

51 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So.....if we have a major hurricane hit SETX....we got a plan on how to evac those ICU patients to other ICUs.....which have no available space?  Question goes for the rest of the Gulf Coast states, too.  Yeah.  Didn't think so.

You mean like the storm brewing in the gulf right now?

The largest single-venue event (combo of indoors/outdoors) in Texas in nearly the last two years is about to take place.  About 40% of the attendees are in at-risk populations and only about 50% of the attendees are vaccinated.  I am attending and it's going to be a fucking blast.  But to discuss best practices is to cloak room up the topic.  It's not a super-spreader event but a couple people will die that didn't have to.  But I'll be on somebody else's open bar tab so ask me if I give a shit? 

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

4 ICU beds available in TSA-O (Austin metro).

Yeah, that’s a rounding error. Basically 4 patients either recovered or died, and the room hasn’t been cleaned enough yet (covid cases require a “terminal clean” which takes some time) for the 4 that have been waiting in the ERs to move in.

So you're saying there's still capacity?  Awesome.  

We're doing a deal to combine horse deworming paste with fresh Fredericksburg peach flavor instead of boring apple.  Gonna make a fortune.  This news will be good for business.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

The largest single-venue event (combo of indoors/outdoors) in Texas in nearly the last two years is about to take place.  About 40% of the attendees are in at-risk populations and only about 50% of the attendees are vaccinated.  I am attending and it's going to be a fucking blast.  But to discuss best practices is to cloak room up the topic.  It's not a super-spreader event but a couple people will die that didn't have to.  But I'll be on somebody else's open bar tab so ask me if I give a shit? 

what are you talking about?

115,000 people at a football game.  It's outdoors, but apparently you can't just jetpack into it.  You have to walk through some tightly packed corridors/egress.  Much of the people involved will be voluntarily unvaccinated.  We haven't had anything this big in 21 months.  I am going, everybody should go, gonna be a blast.  But not everybody is gonna survive the aftermath.  And that's too bad.  Then again, maybe it's not.

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

115,000 people at a football game.  It's outdoors, but apparently you can't just jetpack into it.  You have to walk through some tightly packed corridors/egress.  Much of the people involved will be voluntarily unvaccinated.  We haven't had anything this big in 21 months.  I am going, everybody should go, gonna be a blast.  But not everybody is gonna survive the aftermath.  And that's too bad.  Then again, maybe it's not.

Not just Austin, but all the colleges hosting home games. The restrooms are going to be superspreader events. Close contact, poor ventilation, and stupid air blower hand dryers aerosolizing covid that was on its way to the floor.

9 minutes ago, Sessamoid said:

Not just Austin, but all the colleges hosting home games. The restrooms are going to be superspreader events. Close contact, poor ventilation, and stupid air blower hand dryers aerosolizing covid that was on its way to the floor.

It's going to be awfully hard to keep my mask on while sitting in the East stands baking in the direct sun.  But I'm definitely masking up when I go to the restroom for that very reason.

From a few CRNA friends in Austin (Seton) and Temple (Scott & White) on a text chain we are all on:

*Friend 1: We have stopped electives to free up OR personnel to work in the adult hospital. 

The adult hospital CRNAs and residents are working in the PACU & ICU. 

At the peds hospital we just picked up all the sedation cases that the ICU docs used to do.  We’ll cover the PACU if it had to keep pts there.  

*Friend 2: We’ve been pushing the limits doing cases still over here and nooowwww as of today seton main is emergent only- but they are thinking they will reinstate regular hours by Monday ish

Lack of staff, lack of beds

Staff are quitting on the spot

*Friend 3: Nurses r quitting here too.  I heard They’re getting paid an additional $20/hr and still quitting

*Friend 2: 15/25 grand sign on bonuses

*Friend 3: We had like 120 admitted covid pts.  Almost 40 in icu. 36 or so on vent. 93% of them unvaccinated. The admitted number is probably way higher. 

*Friend 2: …sounds about right…

We actually have CRNA’s we work with that are refusing to get vax

*Friend 3: 

Did a 31weeker who’s mom had to deliver to get put on vent. 

(I heard) They had an intubated pregnant pt. Nurse came in the room and found she had spontaneously delivered.  Gray baby/umbilical cord still attached. 

*Friend 2: 

This was yesterday afternoon alone:

Just put a 19 y/o 27 weeks preggo on ECMO 
Have another preggo also going on ECMO in about an hr
Trached 3 ppl back to back today all from Covid

And seems to be our daily norm

• Rage+1 2

8 minutes ago, blacklab said:

If you'd like to talk about the political makeup of the idiots who don't want to get a vaccine there is a thread for that in the CR

I didn't say a peep about political makeup, just that out of 115,000 people---there's a decent chance some of them are not vaccinated for reasons.  Sorry this became near and dear to me but after meeting with those project managers earlier this week---I am just awestruck.  Two massive gates on the south endzone are gonna be a shitshow, mainly due to construction delays (but also just first game hiccups).  The mobile lifter allowed you to see how a group is gonna bottleneck into an unventilated concourse and it's gonna be like that for several yards of ingress.  Same thing will repeat in certain sections of the concession/bathroom/outdoor club areas.  And then the egress at halftime and end of game could be even worse as people move more hastily (and after even more booze).  Live your life, have fun, no judgments, be free.  It was just fucking bizarre to see how some of the set striking they have to do is gonna fuck up the movement of people in the SE/South/SW/NW of the stadium.  

It's literally the biggest thing to take place in Texas in two years.  We can have big kid discussions about viral spread in restaurants over and over and over again.  We can maybe have one about the biggest building for miles around.  God willing, nothing will come of it.  But fuck it, I'll drop it.  But there wasn't a mention of political parties.

It is incredibly strange how often Aggies go to the restroom during sporting events.  

"Well, if you'll excuse me...I just have to return some videotapes."  

31 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Absolutely. What we don't need is this to turn into a owning the libs/maga/libtard name calling thread. 

I think that might have been my responding to someone earlier.  Mea culpa.  I'm usually better about such things.  Please don't make me go to the C/R.  I looked at the comments there once.  Once.

Edited by dcbc

600 cases in Travis County today (down ~100 from this time last week). Good news is cases are declining week to date vs last week so fingers crossed we may have hit peak. 630 people hospitalized (down 23 from yesterday).

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 8/26 vs 8/25 10 50 68 128 128 87 72 41 10 6 600
% of Daily Change 1.67% 8.33% 11.33% 21.33% 21.33% 14.50% 12.00% 6.83% 1.67% 1.00%  
% of Total Cases 0.70% 4.77% 10.86% 25.86% 20.88% 14.76% 10.86% 6.37% 3.03% 1.91%  
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I think that might have been my responding to someone earlier.  Mea culpa.  I'm usually better about such things.  Please don't make me go to the C/R.  I looked at the comments there once.  Once.

I posted without comment two contrasting historical pictures that had political implications.  So I provoked blacklab's warning as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Good news is cases are declining week to date vs last week so fingers crossed we may have hit peak.

Hope so, but AISD and RRISD haven't even finished their second week of school yet.