2020 Democratic National Convention

Hugo Stiglitz

44 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Still say she'd done much better yielding her time to AOC or Yang, one of the up and comer...like a passing of the torch

No, Biden got medal of Freedom, not Medal of Honor.  Not sure the distinction.    

Wut????? Limbaugh most assuredly did not get the Medal of Honor. Both got the medal of Freedom. 

@pyrohornIII

Edited by Irieguy
  • Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

There might have been a more scathing speech by a past President, but nothing in recent history. Phenomenal. 

Here I was thinking how gentle Obama was with Trump and how startlingly optimistic the tone was. It’s probably the right tone and certainly true to Obama’s character, but when I heard that Obama was coming for Trump, I was picturing the Michael Scott roast.

Edited by Mole

2 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

You are right, I was wrong.  Google was NOT my friend in this instance.

The thought of Rush Limbaugh serving in any Armed Service and doing anything remotely brave enough to earn the fucking Medal of Honor did make laugh heartily. So thank you for that. 

36 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’m sorry but watching all these superior leaders try to sell Joe Biden is comedy gold. 

It is strange that you don't grasp Biden's role yet. He serves a purpose and I confess I didn't see it at first nor understand it either. The democratic party has two powerful branches that were in danger of canceling each other out. It was like there where a lot of alpha wolves fighting to lead the pack and the pack was getting nervous and ready to bolt off and maybe form other packs. The old alpha who can't win a fight but is a calming presence and experienced leader settled the pack down and kept it together. He is gong to get shredded by a new alpha but later after the danger of the pack breaking up is behind us. That is what is happening. The young alphas have yielded to him for now because he will keep a bigger group together for them to try and win. 

• Hook 'Em 9

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Remember when ESPN hired Rush Limbaugh. 

I can't remember if ABC and ESPN were both owned by Disney at the beginning of the 2000s, but what the fuck were they thinking putting Rush Limbaugh and Dennis Miller in as color commentators at the time?

By the way, tonight was my first to watch any of the DNC. It was good, like, real good. Obama hit it out of the park, and Kamala shows potential as a speaker. I did some googling on her sister, and she's been involved in police reform. That's not lost on me in this moment and surely not on her either. Liz was my candidate, and she didn't disappoint. But, right now, I'm all in with the candidates we've got.

Go Joe go.

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

It is strange that you don't grasp Biden's role yet. He serves a purpose and I confess I didn't see it at first nor understand it either. The democratic party has two powerful branches that were in danger of canceling each other out. It was like there where a lot of alpha wolves fighting to lead the pack and the pack was getting nervous and ready to bolt off and maybe form other packs. The old alpha who can't win a fight but is a calming presence and experienced leader settled the pack down and kept it together. He is gong to get shredded by a new alpha but later after the danger of the pack breaking up is behind us. That is what is happening. The young alphas have yielded to him for now because he will keep a bigger group together for them to try and win. 

Biden is the nominee b/c Trump has everyone scared shitless and he seems like the safest bet among the folks with the most to lose in a Trump second term.  You take Trump out of this race and Biden doesn’t win the nomination. 

You’re absolutely right about Biden being a role player. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Biden is the nominee b/c Trump has everyone scared shitless and he seems like the safest bet among the folks with the most to lose in a Trump second term.  You take Trump out of this race and Biden doesn’t win the nomination. 

Great take but here we are. 

7 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

haha, I said the same thing but with an parable and you had to mansplain it for your own ears. Men and women can't communicate worth shit but yet,, we do. :) 

Edited by burntorangebongos
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

So, THAT's what "WAP" stands for?  

The GOP takes words and slurs (or in this case a song reference) and flings them like mud. I admire and more than that am inspired by those that are taking these words, reframing them, and using them as a shield against their oppressors and haters.This is part of the resistance, this is the fight against hate and fear. This is rising up and speaking up and taking action. The GOP is not going to relinquish that power easily. Stay in the fight.

10 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

I have no idea who that guy is but I can tell you this about the youngs. My super lib 21 year old daughter when I asked her if she was voting for Biden she was lukewarm about it because she’s a big Bernie supporter. She ultimately said she would vote for Biden after I harangued her about it for a little bit but apparently the young Bernie supporter vote stills needs motivation. Was kind of eye opening really. 

I just saw an article that said 12% (of 5000 surveyed) who supported Bernie in 2016 voted for Trump. So don’t be so fucking shocked, sad as it may be. 

11 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

I have no idea who that guy is but I can tell you this about the youngs. My super lib 21 year old daughter when I asked her if she was voting for Biden she was lukewarm about it because she’s a big Bernie supporter. She ultimately said she would vote for Biden after I harangued her about it for a little bit but apparently the young Bernie supporter vote stills needs motivation. Was kind of eye opening really. 

21 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I just saw an article that said 12% (of 5000 surveyed) who supported Bernie in 2016 voted for Trump. So don’t be so fucking shocked, sad as it may be. 

You're not going to persuade everybody, but sitting this one out or voting for a GOP candidate is a choice and IMO, not a great one to make. The young have so much energy and it takes stamina to stay the course. Bernie was young once too, they know this and they know his activism. He was 30 or so when he first ran for Governor. He was (I think 50) when elected as Vermont's rep in the House and 66 when he became a Senator. When he was elected to the House of Representatives in 1991 there were 31 women reps in Congress (House and Senate). 31. Think about that for a minute. That is 5.8% of the total seats. Now there are 127 (23.7%). Keep pushing back. Keep persisting. It is incremental and heartbreaking, but I encourage those to take up Bernie's torch of activism and keep trying.

22 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

You're not going to persuade everybody, but sitting this one out or voting for a GOP candidate is a choice and IMO, not a great one to make. The young have so much energy and it takes stamina to stay the course. Bernie was young once too, they know this and they know his activism. He was 30 or so when he first ran for Governor. He was (I think 50) when elected as Vermont's rep in the House and 66 when he became a Senator. When he was elected to the House of Representatives in 1991 there were 31 women reps in Congress (House and Senate). 31. Think about that for a minute. That is 5.8% of the total seats. Now there are 127 (23.7%). Keep pushing back. Keep persisting. It is incremental and heartbreaking, but I encourage those to take up Bernie's torch of activism and keep trying.

And yet 12% of this people stayed the course and used their energy to actively go out and vote for Trump. Not even sit at home. To vote for him. So yeah, I'm not sure your post really correctly interpreted the point of my post.