Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

Daniel Radosh has summed it up perfectly, for my tastes.

That said, who is carol blymore? is she famous? is she a twitter celebrity like christy tiegen? Was her response an actual burn or are we making fun of it because it was stupid? I honestly can't tell if she's referencing something that's over my head or just dumb.

32 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

if you click on the tweet, you’ll see the thread about why he feels s2 is weaker. it’s a good read and vibes with a lot of the feelings expressed on this board. 

thanks for the recommendation. With Season 1, we were learning who we liked and didn't like. Even Rebecca was extremely suspect as she hired Ted to fail. And as she warmed up, she could fall back to her vindictive ways when she was treated poorly by the ex-husband.  Now the entire cast are effectively best friends. Even Jamie Tartt is dancing in pregame warmups now. 

They were setting up a storyline about the kit sponsor who might be able to force the use of his logo through sponsorship contracts. That could have created conflict by Ted telling Sam he had to wear it or face punishment. Instead that resolved itself. Zero conflict.

I'm still watching but I don't see how anyone can think Season 2 is as good as Season 1. Even the people here that are loving Season 2 have mentioned that the ex-husband should be around.

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Daniel Radosh has summed it up perfectly, for my tastes.

That said, who is carol blymore? is she famous? is she a twitter celebrity like christy tiegen? Was her response an actual burn or are we making fun of it because it was stupid? I honestly can't tell if she's referencing something that's over my head or just dumb.

Blech. I'm agreeing with DonkeyCigars. I think I need a shower.

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

1. i have no idea who she is, but pretty sure her tweet was tongue-in-cheek.  this is supported by the bullseye emoji (i'm stealing that move).

2. chrissy teigen is an actual celebrity, not a "twitter celebrity".

After a deeper dive (SWIDT?), I don't think Carol's tweet was tongue-in-cheek. I believe she thinks pretty highly of herself.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think the biggest difference is the same with most movie sequels. The audience doesn’t get/have to discover the characters, they already know them.  None of us are wondering if Ted is really the way he acts.  The only change so far is Nate.  They haven’t introduced any real adversity yet. 

just hope there’s more to come than just Roy Kent starts coaching, they start winning, and they go on to come back and win the league or a cup that nobody though they could win. I suspect there is. 

yeah that guy on twitter nailed it. i mean come on- i know i wasn't the only one who did a complete double take when Rebecca was like, "yeah i spend christmas every year walking around town giving toys to needy kids." oh you do? let me guess, you and jamie tartt came up with the idea together, yeah? a lot of these characters have changed overnight, and with everybody loving everybody, the vibe is noticeably different.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Haha 1

also, the lack of football/storylines that have anything do with football does bother me. it would be like having a show about HS kids that takes place at their school, only there's no scenes or storylines involving class, the hallways, lockers, sports, theater, homecoming, prom, etc. just a bunch of clips of the kids sitting around the quad talking about that stuff from time to time. 

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah that guy on twitter nailed it. i mean come on- i know i wasn't the only one who did a complete double take when Rebecca was like, "yeah i spend christmas every year walking around towns giving toys to needy kids." oh you do? let me guess, you and jamie tartt came up with the idea together, yeah? a lot of these characters have changed overnight, and with everybody loving everybody, the vibe is noticeably different.

i enjoyed it for what it was, but the standalone christmas episode was horribly timed.

no idea if that was an apple decision or a bill lawrence decision, but yeah.

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah that guy on twitter nailed it. i mean come on- i know i wasn't the only one who did a complete double take when Rebecca was like, "yeah i spend christmas every year walking around town giving toys to needy kids." oh you do? let me guess, you and jamie tartt came up with the idea together, yeah? a lot of these characters have changed overnight, and with everybody loving everybody, the vibe is noticeably different.

No, I didn't have an issue with it at all.  Besides her ex, and trying to get back at him, I can't think of anything that she's done that would be out of character for that. She was very involved in the charity ball last season and was very helpful with Ted in the anxiety attack episode.

If anything, it is right in line with her character.  All/most of the characters have been shown doing good things and some questionable decisions/bad things, even this season.

15 minutes ago, pied06 said:

No, I didn't have an issue with it at all.  Besides her ex, and trying to get back at him, I can't think of anything that she's done that would be out of character for that. She was very involved in the charity ball last season and was very helpful with Ted in the anxiety attack episode.

If anything, it is right in line with her character.  All/most of the characters have been shown doing good things and some questionable decisions/bad things, even this season.

yeah, no. Rebecca was basically the grinch last season. the idea that her character spends every christmas walking around the neighborhood giving gifts to poor kids in lieu of partying with Elton John is absurd. hosting a charity ball is right in line with her character as it was her responsibility to host the extravagant gala. the personal, quietly, modestly-carried-out tradition of philanthropically roaming the streets ea h Christmas looking to spread cheer? no way. that's about as in-line with her character as Ted going around and stealing presents from poor kids.

34 minutes ago, Lurch said:

I don’t recall thinking she was a broadly bad person, but rather a jaded ex. I don’t see an incongruity between trying to fuck over her ex and also being charitable

S1 Rebecca was a textbook shitty person who treated people like crap and who only cared about herself. when it came to getting back at her ex, Rebecca didn't care how many people's livelihoods she destroyed in the process; everyone who works for the club and/or supports the club and/or depends on match days for their bar/store/restaurant to thrive would all go down with the club and she didn't care. then there's the way she treated Higgins, not to mention Nate, or  Ted for that matter, whose life she was willing to uproot and then ruin if it meant getting back at her ex. she sent the photographer to go after Ted and Keeley. she sent Jamie Tartt back to Man City. and most of all, she always acted like everyone else in the world was beneath her. i mean i can't even believe what i'm hearing right now.

it's ok to like this show while also accepting that a lot of the stuff from season two doesn't track with season one. this idea that Rebecca humbly and quietly slums it up with the poor kids every Xmas like she's Shaq is just absurd. it's not a huge deal, but it's a ridiculous concept.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Deej said:

Or maybe she was just so enraged by how she had been treated by her ex that, in her pain and anger, she lost sight of who she really was. Shit like that happens. Ted came along and brought her back towards the light. 

she told that it's a yearly tradition for her. that's the part that makes no sense. again, it's not a huge deal, but there's a zero percent chance that the actual Rebecca we met in season one was going around doing that stuff every christmas before Ted arrived.

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

The over-analyzation on this thread completely misses the point of this show and you are all horrible people.

the refusal to let anyone who doesn't share your opinion have their own opinion misses the point of surlyhorns.com. i will never be able to make sense of the people in this forum who let someone else's opinion about a TV show ruin their own enjoyment of said show.

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the refusal to let anyone who doesn't share your opinion have their own opinion misses the point of surlyhorns.com. i will never be able to make sense of the people in this forum who let someone else's opinion about a TV show ruin their own enjoyment of said show.

Please don't start watching 'What We Do In The Shadows.'

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah, no. Rebecca was basically the grinch last season. the idea that her character spends every christmas walking around the neighborhood giving gifts to poor kids in lieu of partying with Elton John is absurd. hosting a charity ball is right in line with her character as it was her responsibility to host the extravagant gala. the personal, quietly, modestly-carried-out tradition of philanthropically roaming the streets ea h Christmas looking to spread cheer? no way. that's about as in-line with her character as Ted going around and stealing presents from poor kids.

That was the aspect we knew, but over the show has gone on, we have learned more about the characters.  

Her motive was clear, ruin the team to get back at her husband.  Sometimes people do good and bad things.  Winchester from MASH had a similar Christmas story if I recall.

Higgins is a great guy, except last season he was the tool Rebecca used to do most of her dirty work.  Not to mention he covered for Rupert for years.  You didn't have an issue with him hosting a Christmas party for the team without family?

Keely was clearly just a superficial model/WAG, except she has a very soft side and great person, especially with Roy.

Jamie was and is still superficial.  He has moments where he cracks through.

Ted was the best guy in the world last year.  This season, it seems clear(to me) he's jealous of the Dr. and while he's nice to her, hasn't given her credit, is wary of he nad hasn't referred anyone to her.  They set it up last week to send the Captain, but Ted handled it his way.  

• Hook 'Em 1

she told that it's a yearly tradition for her. that's the part that makes no sense. again, it's not a huge deal, but there's a zero percent chance that the actual Rebecca we met in season one was going around doing that stuff every christmas before Ted arrived.

You’re right because in the episode she FUCKING SAID SHE DIDN’T DO iT LAST YEAR

Here’s a tip. Watch the show.
  • Like 2

because if i end up saying something critical about the show it will ruin it for you? man that is weird. 

No, because you will say it over and over and over and over and over and over and then argue about it over and over and over and over. It just clutters up good threads about good shows and makes the threads suck. Your opinions are fine. It’s just the never ending arguing that always ensues by you and your legions of admirers.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

S1 Rebecca was a textbook shitty person who treated people like crap and who only cared about herself. when it came to getting back at her ex, Rebecca didn't care how many people's livelihoods she destroyed in the process; everyone who works for the club and/or supports the club and/or depends on match days for their bar/store/restaurant to thrive would all go down with the club and she didn't care. then there's the way she treated Higgins, not to mention Nate, or  Ted for that matter, whose life she was willing to uproot and then ruin if it meant getting back at her ex. she sent the photographer to go after Ted and Keeley. she sent Jamie Tartt back to Man City. and most of all, she always acted like everyone else in the world was beneath her. i mean i can't even believe what i'm hearing right now.

it's ok to like this show while also accepting that a lot of the stuff from season two doesn't track with season one. this idea that Rebecca humbly and quietly slums it up with the poor kids every Xmas like she's Shaq is just absurd. it's not a huge deal, but it's a ridiculous concept.

A ton of rich assholes do this kind of stuff. Nothing she’s done is remotely out of character. 

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

The over-analyzation on this thread completely misses the point of this show and you are all horrible people.

I generally agree, but the Liverpool episode in Season 1 is about as poignant and emotionally deep as a light-hearted, fun comedy can get. Rebecca's friend calling her out on her bullshit excuse that her shit marriage kept her from spending time with Sassy's daughter; Ted having a panic attack thinking about signing his divorce papers; etc.. The episode before that was Jamie's dad issues revelation and him leaving the team. The Diamond Dogs episode that followed Liverpool was also exceptional with the Roy/Keely faux press conference. The next episode was benching Roy, and Coach Beard finally  flipping out about winning mattering. 

I don't expect that kind of brilliance every week from this kind of show, but they're a victim of their own success showing how capable they are of being more than just a comedy.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

We are 5 episodes into a 12 ep season, and this isn’t some serial show where every episode has a formulaic plot with a definite conclusion. 

I do think that if the owner and manager of the local former premiership/current championship club knocked on doors around town, they’d get a little different reaction than was portrayed. 

imagine Jerry jones and Mike McCarthy knocking on doors in south Arlington on Christmas…after getting relegated to the xfl. 

14 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

We are 4 episodes into a 10 ep season with apparently two stupid money grab specials that will rear their stupid heads who knows when and where and why with no thought to seasonality, and this isn’t some serial show where every episode has a formulaic plot with a definite conclusion. 

I do think that if the owner and manager of the local former premiership/current championship club knocked on doors around town, they’d get a little different reaction than was portrayed. 

imagine Jerry jones and Mike McCarthy knocking on doors in south Arlington on Christmas…after getting relegated to the xfl. 

FIFY

But kidding aside, Derka is mostly right. Biff and Wild Turkey and Trashman can all have their opinions and be right too. The Ted Lasso tent is a big one.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I generally agree, but the Liverpool episode in Season 1 is about as poignant and emotionally deep as a light-hearted, fun comedy can get. Rebecca's friend calling her out on her bullshit excuse that her shit marriage kept her from spending time with Sassy's daughter; Ted having a panic attack thinking about signing his divorce papers; etc.. The episode before that was Jamie's dad issues revelation and him leaving the team. The Diamond Dogs episode that followed Liverpool was also exceptional with the Roy/Keely faux press conference. The next episode was benching Roy, and Coach Beard finally  flipping out about winning mattering. 

I don't expect that kind of brilliance every week from this kind of show, but they're a victim of their own success showing how capable they are of being more than just a comedy.

i read you loud and clear. Ted Lasso is the Rick Barnes of TV shows. astute observation aggie.

• Haha 2

*turdition

Sorry, bad habit.

Edited by jeevsie

9 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

if you click on the tweet, you’ll see the thread about why he feels s2 is weaker. it’s a good read and vibes with a lot of the feelings expressed on this board. 

Welcome to the road under the bandwagon. It’s a sad and wiser place.

• Hook 'Em 1