Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

23 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

That doesn’t seem odd to me at all. It seems like the whole point of a discussion thread about a show is to, you know, discuss the show. Good, bad, neutral. The idea that only positive opinions are welcome is what’s funny to me.

But I have to say that reaction has made this thread infinitely more interesting to me. Come for the Ted Lasso discussion, stay for the fascinating window into the psychology of cults. 

yeah, I don’t blame you. when donkey is in lockstep, it’s time to clarify your position. 

we did the rare thursday night watch because i am off to vegas today. very good episode. 

On 9/9/2021 at 10:06 AM, BrickHorn said:

That doesn’t seem odd to me at all. It seems like the whole point of a discussion thread about a show is to, you know, discuss the show. Good, bad, neutral. The idea that only positive opinions are welcome is what’s funny to me.

But I have to say that reaction has made this thread infinitely more interesting to me. Come for the Ted Lasso discussion, stay for the fascinating window into the psychology of cults. 

it is hilarious that you had to announce to the thread that you've put me on ignore "because spoilers", only turn into the derka of this thread. we've just wrapped up a 2-year running meltdown in the rick and morty thread because i've had the gall to tell the cult-like fanboys that seasons 4 and 5 have lost a step. welcome to the party pal.

I almost went full brick horn and turned the episode off at the stupid haircut scene. Everything up to that point had me thinking the good times were gone.

But boy did it rebound very quickly afterwards and turned into a pretty good episode-- maybe my 2nd or 3rd favorite of the season. Enjoyed seeing the doc get knocked down a peg, both by her mentor and a Peugeot, and seeing her drawing closer to Ted who himself took a step up a peg emotionally; I think they meet on the same plane in the next episode or so which will be good viewing.

Also, I'm not a huge Roy Kent fanboy like most, though I like him well enough, I thought his response to Jamie was moving and another feather in the cap of a character who is written to be basically the soccer playing, real life (debatable still, I guess) Shrek. A grunting, brooding loner ogre with a heart of gold and good instincts for other people, kids, and probably animals.

Like shadow said, and I'm actually kind of surprised at this, but the Rebecca and Sam stuff was very anticlimactic. After all the build up and tension it just kinda meted itself out in a nice, boring way. Cool, I guess.

Maybe the big twist is when people find out and they have to deal with the fall out.

Or since it's European and English soccer, maybe the story line becomes tackling anti-miscegenation and other racist behaviors (aren't the europeans famous for throwing bananas at soccer players and harassing the young black guys who missed a PK recently that kinda looked like Sam IRL?). I think that would be an interesting direction but probably too edgy for this show.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

9 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Or since it's European and English soccer, maybe the story line becomes tackling anti-miscegenation and other racist behaviors (aren't the europeans famous for throwing bananas at soccer players and harassing the young black guys who missed a PK recently that kinda looked like Sam IRL?). I think that would be an interesting direction but probably too edgy for this show.

There are some loose similarities between Sam and Bukayo Saka who plays for Arsenal (and yes was one of several "black guys" who missed big PKs in the Euros... well his was saved and in the Finals)  Sam is a straight Nigerian 21 year old  (so young player) who plays right back but gets up on the attack and Saka is a 20 year old midfielder/winger Englishman with Nigerian heritage.  They do have similar hairstyles. With the Sudeikis open support of those guys after they took some really ludicrous hateful shit this past summer it wouldn't surprise me if they explored that theme but this was already all in the can before that happened (not that it's something new)

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Well so much for that fucking FA Cup run. Solid episode they packed a lot in. Man Jamie’s dad is a cunt. Good predictions that that situation was what was freaking Ted earlier.

Almost everybody is suddenly in some level of disarray except Rebecca and Sam who both spent much of last year in disarray. I guess Higgins is fine and Roy’s thing is minor.

Higgins had a closet office. So not great. Loved this episode. I figured 46 minutes would be a bit much but it flew by. I actually think they are handling Sam and Rebecca well. There weren’t any dumb rom com cliches.

I am wondering how far they are going to go with Coach Beard next week and walking it off. That might be a difficult one to pull off. 

So, if Sam's number was in her phone, wouldn't it suggest it as soon as she started typing her name? But if it wasn't, how did she send him a text message just by typing his name? Do they have some fancy new technology where your phone spies on you and automagically sends it to the person you are probably trying to text?

15 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

So, if Sam's number was in her phone, wouldn't it suggest it as soon as she started typing her name? But if it wasn't, how did she send him a text message just by typing his name? Do they have some fancy new technology where your phone spies on you and automagically sends it to the person you are probably trying to text?

Ha I noticed that too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Higgins had a closet office. So not great. Loved this episode. I figured 46 minutes would be a bit much but it flew by. I actually think they are handling Sam and Rebecca well. There weren’t any dumb rom com cliches.

I am wondering how far they are going to go with Coach Beard next week and walking it off. That might be a difficult one to pull off. 

I mean they didn't do anything with Nate's breakdown from the week before yet, so it won't be surprising to see it last a couple of weeks before answering his walk off. 

Beard is really the least explored character so I am actually intrigued by the idea of a stand alone on him next week.  Since last year he clearly has shown that as much as he is Ted's friend and coaching partner that he doesn't completely jibe with the notion Ted shared last season with Trent Crimm (The Independent) of not caring if Richmond wins or loses.

Also on Nate, maybe it's nothing but last season full head of black hair....this year he's becoming an aged Sith getting grayer and grayer.  A visual thing I've noticed that could be just a different makeup/hair approach or could be signifying his maturity and or his personal rage consuming in. 

18 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Beard is really the least explored character so I am actually intrigued by the idea of a stand alone on him next week.  Since last year he clearly has shown that as much as he is Ted's friend and coaching partner that he doesn't completely jibe with the notion Ted shared last season with Trent Crimm (The Independent) of not caring if Richmond wins or loses.

Also on Nate, maybe it's nothing but last season full head of black hair....this year he's becoming an aged Sith getting grayer and grayer.  A visual thing I've noticed that could be just a different makeup/hair approach or could be signifying his maturity and or his personal rage consuming in. 

I actually noticed the gray as well due to the sweaters, but is it maturity or lack of self-esteem?

11 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

There are some loose similarities between Sam and Bukayo Saka who plays for Arsenal (and yes was one of several "black guys" who missed big PKs in the Euros... well his was saved and in the Finals)  Sam is a straight Nigerian 21 year old  (so young player) who plays right back but gets up on the attack and Saka is a 20 year old midfielder/winger Englishman with Nigerian heritage.  They do have similar hairstyles. With the Sudeikis open support of those guys after they took some really ludicrous hateful shit this past summer it wouldn't surprise me if they explored that theme but this was already all in the can before that happened (not that it's something new)

actually Saka just had a birthday a few days ago, so he's 21 now too. #themoreyouknow 

3 hours ago, jeevsie said:

TIL - not all soccer pitches are the same dimensions.

Barca used to (may still) have the widest pitch in Europe. giving all of those amazing play makers that extra room is just devastating when some team like Getafe or Bilbao comes in and tries to stay in front of them for 90 mins.

3 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

I noticed that this episode and wondered if I hadn't been paying attention. It's definitely turning grey.

22 hours ago, bolverk said:

I'd be keenly interested in hearing the rest of Ted's analogy before he got cut off by the Doc on the phone: "Well, I would say that fear is a lot like underwear."

I can't find the exact wording, but my mind went to "once you try it on it's difficult to get rid of it" or something along those lines

Edited by TommyGufano
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So I just was made aware of the origins of the Jamie Tartt song, Baby Shark.  I don't have kids, so that was new to me.

Wow that song has been around for decades at summer camps and shit.  I remember doing that song as a kid and I’m in my 30s