Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

I liked it.  Not my favorite episode but it was fine.  I'm not interested in being too critical of something I enjoy and look forward to watching.  

I thought the stuff with Ted and the Dr. was good if a little long winded.  

I'm not crazy about Nate right now but it is what it is.  

Honestly I could use more Jamie.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I liked it.  Not my favorite episode but it was fine.  I'm not interested in being too critical of something I enjoy and look forward to watching.  

I thought the stuff with Ted and the Dr. was good if a little long winded.  

I'm not crazy about Nate right now but it is what it is.  

Honestly I could use more Jamie.

This is where I am. I didn’t care one way or other about the Roy/Keeley story but  liked the Nate and ted parts. 

Mostly this episode did suck, but I thought the Ted & Doc scenes were good and enjoyed seeing glimpses of Ted's personality that isn't rapid fire folkisms but actual spurts of vulnerability and anger.

I also actually kinda like the dark turn that Nate is taking. Some commentary there on the intersection between:

being a fragile, insecure incel

+

verbal abuse/trauma from a crappy father

+

ego/narcissism of social media (and reading your own press; maybe some unintentional meta commentary on this show?)

=

a very ugly, paranoid, sad person. 

I love how he is also delusional and tries to claim that he didn't say wonder kid but pronounced it wrong despite video evidence, it really makes that character arc believable. 

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Like 1

Nate's arc is super weird to me. I didn't love it but could buy it through the interaction with Beard and then his apology to Colin. He's always been shy, a doormat, and was getting caught up in his own hubris and needed to be taken down a notch. But the ending with Will is making him out to be just plain cruel, and that seems really out of step with how they've built his character. I mean, I know he's been feeling insecure since they hired Roy, but this isn't Breaking Bad.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, austingirl said:

Nate's arc is super weird to me. I didn't love it but could buy it through the interaction with Beard and then his apology to Colin. He's always been shy, a doormat, and was getting caught up in his own hubris and needed to be taken down a notch. But the ending with Will is making him out to be just plain cruel, and that seems really out of step with how they've built his character. I mean, I know he's been feeling insecure since they hired Roy, but this isn't Breaking Bad.

If Nate went in the locker room at the end and beat the shit out of Will, that would feel more in line with the arc they have given him this season. 

19 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Then don’t watch 

That’s the plan now. Gave it another chance after episode 6 showed at least a tiny glimmer of hope, but episode 7 was the nail in the coffin. I’m out.

But I’ll still peek into this thread from time to time to enjoy watching y’all slowly coming to your senses and, little by little, acknowledging reality. Because that’s my fetish. 

we will see Nate being fired in the next episode or two. Acting like he did with the kit mgr isn’t solved by an apology. Or Nate insults Keeley which brings Roy into the situation. Not that we’ve actually ever seen Roy get physical with anything. He only grunts.

Nate is a damaged character. Imagine coming from a home where your parents don’t care you are in the newspaper. Nate should be telling them to F off not players or staff.

s2 is not as good as s1 was so far.  it's 6 episodes in out of 10 (not counting the 2 standalones which i'm prepared to enjoy both of).  it still has a chance to be a really good season of comedic television. 

and that's fine.  s1 was an all timer.  i can count on one hand the number of sitcoms that had a comparable s1.  the office, seinfeld, parks and rec, the simpsons all struggled to figure out what they were early on.  30 rock, b99, how i met your mother all had really good s1 offerings, but 30 rock was the only one as good as good as tl.

however, i'm not ready to declare "this show isn't as good anymore".  i will reserve judgment until the season ends, in hopes that they have a plan for the story arcs they've constructed.  i do agree that the nate thread is consuming way too much oxygen, and i would say that even if it was compelling or funny, which it has not been.  ted is the titular character for a reason.

my biggest complaint is that they've taken too long to get where they are, and there may not be enough room in the back end of the season to actually enjoy it.  we knew ted needed help with his headspace, and he's finally taken that step - in ep7 (they hired the shrink in ep1 and it was obvious he'd end up in the chair).  we knew roy would come back and coach, but that took a few episodes too long, which prolonged the whole situation with keeley (zomg they work together now so everything's changed).

rebecca has been single this whole time, so they could've advanced her story more, but i'm curious to see where they're going with sam.  they've completely abandoned everything with her ex, which you could argue concluded after the darts match, but he doesn't seem like the type to just disappear.  i would've preferred he was the one rebecca was communicating with on bantr, and that could've been some fun conflict.

as for nate, he's been a dick to the new equip guy forever now and everyone could see that coming in slow motion.  then he was meek and cowardly in the reservation episode, and now he's back on top of the world.  beard should've said something several episodes ago. 

and if he needs help, he could've just quoted artie after hank hosts the show, "what did we learn here, hank?  when you're humble and vulnerable, people like you.  when you act like an asshole, people tend to think of you as an asshole." 

• Hook 'Em 3

the biggest thing i agree with hg about is that S1 was an all-timer, and that S2 not living up to that high bar isn't just the most terrible thing ever, and that it's too early to just declare that the show sucks now. it still has a ton a of potentially to bounce back, particularly if it isn't set in stone that it's over after three seasons.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

the biggest thing i agree with hg about is that S1 was an all-timer, and that S2 not living up to that high bar isn't just the most terrible thing ever, and that it's too early to just declare that the show sucks now. it still has a ton a of potentially to bounce back, particularly if it isn't set in stone that it's over after three seasons.

I think everyone but brick horn and a few people who loved season 1 for all the wrong reasons who still think season 2 is operating at that level and think you should shut up with any critique, of which a couple are here on this thread, agrees with that.

Nate is being a petulant bitch at times now but since I think that this thing was at least "planned" to end with him becoming the manager of AFC Richmond seems like a part of the journey.

Everybody is finding themselves right now, it isn't as compelling or good as season 1 but it certainly is better than most of what you can currently find in episodic TV.  

8 minutes ago, Frank The Tank said:

Hang on…You think the plan is, or at some point was, for Nate to end up as the manager?

Sure. He’s the first guy with the club Ted meets, somewhat his apprentice. Lowly kit man ascends to manager of club. He clearly knows soccer (at least to the extent you need to know it in the Ted Lasso universe) and so he has that which Ted doesn’t (soccer acumen) but lacks what Ted appears to have (control of his inner demons). I would guess that ultimately Ted walks away having accomplished whatever he needs to have accomplished at the end and the feel good is that by that point on the journey Nate is “ready”.  Hell I could see Beard sticking around with him as Ted goes off on his next adventure (hence why they are starting to develop a little Beard-Nate relationship)

Edited by Surly Bevo

4 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Sure. He’s the first guy with the club Ted meets, somewhat his apprentice. Lowly kit man ascends to manager of club. He clearly knows soccer (at least to the extent you need to know it in the Ted Lasso universe) and so he has that which Ted doesn’t (soccer acumen) but lacks what Ted appears to have (control of his inner demons). I would guess that ultimately Ted walks away having accomplished whatever he needs to have accomplished at the end and the feel good is that by that point on the journey Nate is “ready”.  Hell I could see Beard sticking around with him as Ted goes off on his next adventure (hence why they are starting to develop a little Beard-Nate relationship)

Before they could get to that point, Nate has to hit rock bottom and then return back up. Nate's a POS. Anyone saying otherwise is wrong.

Before they could get to that point, Nate has to hit rock bottom and then return back up. Nate's a POS. Anyone saying otherwise is wrong.

Right.

It’s not like the “unnoticed individual with unique gifts gets discovered for gifts but also reveals serious character flaws only to get that all together and ascend to greatness” is some unexplored territory character wise.

I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect the magic of Season 1 to extend into Season 2. Are we to expect that all the jokes and stuff about the differences in American and Snaggley-tooth culture are going to be fresh for a second season? Y'all would be pushing and moaning about how he should have figured all that stuff out by now. He's been there a year. All of that magic is gone, along with the character setups that helped make it so magical. It's now more drama than comedy. They didn't really have a lot of other options, but if you think of it as more of a drama it is still an excellent show.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Watched 6 and 7 this weekend. Enjoyed both, 6 more so.

The one thing I'm not digging is the Nate deal.  I'd be ok, if he was bad and turning good, or good turning bad.  It was the episode with the window table reservation that has me confused.  I can see if they are trying to bring  that storyline in, sometimes good people act poorly.  The promotion to manager is an interesting theory and could be a good way to set that up.

33 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect the magic of Season 1 to extend into Season 2. Are we to expect that all the jokes and stuff about the differences in American and Snaggley-tooth culture are going to be fresh for a second season? Y'all would be pushing and moaning about how he should have figured all that stuff out by now. He's been there a year. All of that magic is gone, along with the character setups that helped make it so magical. It's now more drama than comedy. They didn't really have a lot of other options, but if you think of it as more of a drama it is still an excellent show.

god i hate the "there's literally no other way this could go" argument from tv show fanboys. to answer your question, yes- yes we all expected the same show as season one. duh. 

17 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Just finished the first season. Nicely done. The British/American slang divide was damn funny (because they talk funny). 

On to season two - better known to some here, apparently, as Ishtar on the Thames. It can't be that bad . . . right?

Godspeed GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 1

Just finished the first season. Nicely done. The British/American slang divide was damn funny (because they talk funny). 
On to season two - better known to some here, apparently, as Ishtar on the Thames. It can't be that bad . . . right?

Just power through S2:E1 and you’ll be fine
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/5/2021 at 11:11 AM, henrygandorf said:

s2 is not as good as s1 was so far.  it's 6 episodes in out of 10 (not counting the 2 standalones which i'm prepared to enjoy both of).  it still has a chance to be a really good season of comedic television. 

and that's fine.  s1 was an all timer.  i can count on one hand the number of sitcoms that had a comparable s1.  the office, seinfeld, parks and rec, the simpsons all struggled to figure out what they were early on.  30 rock, b99, how i met your mother all had really good s1 offerings, but 30 rock was the only one as good as good as tl.

however, i'm not ready to declare "this show isn't as good anymore".  i will reserve judgment until the season ends, in hopes that they have a plan for the story arcs they've constructed.  i do agree that the nate thread is consuming way too much oxygen, and i would say that even if it was compelling or funny, which it has not been.  ted is the titular character for a reason.

my biggest complaint is that they've taken too long to get where they are, and there may not be enough room in the back end of the season to actually enjoy it.  we knew ted needed help with his headspace, and he's finally taken that step - in ep7 (they hired the shrink in ep1 and it was obvious he'd end up in the chair).  we knew roy would come back and coach, but that took a few episodes too long, which prolonged the whole situation with keeley (zomg they work together now so everything's changed).

rebecca has been single this whole time, so they could've advanced her story more, but i'm curious to see where they're going with sam.  they've completely abandoned everything with her ex, which you could argue concluded after the darts match, but he doesn't seem like the type to just disappear.  i would've preferred he was the one rebecca was communicating with on bantr, and that could've been some fun conflict.

as for nate, he's been a dick to the new equip guy forever now and everyone could see that coming in slow motion.  then he was meek and cowardly in the reservation episode, and now he's back on top of the world.  beard should've said something several episodes ago. 

and if he needs help, he could've just quoted artie after hank hosts the show, "what did we learn here, hank?  when you're humble and vulnerable, people like you.  when you act like an asshole, people tend to think of you as an asshole." 

You forgot "Veep".