Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

46 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

All of you complaining that the show lost its magic and needs something new are going to be blown away when Ted commits suicide in the final episode. 

Then he wakes up with a start from a dream, as his wife exits the shower and calls him honey. Then the camera pans out until we see a snow globe. And then, the camera pans over to a kitchen bar area where ted is sitting, as beard walks up and pulls out what looks like a gun, but the screen goes black.  The Living Years plays as the credits appear. 

He said, "Joe Walsh is a poet."  
This was my favorite song when I was in 6th grade, but it's also ample evidence that Joe Walsh is not a poet:
I'm makin' records, my fans they can't wait
They write me letters, tell me I'm great
So I got me an office, gold records on the wall
Just leave a message, maybe I'll call

And what's even more ridiculous is that the Life in the Fast Lane guitar riff was literally "just an elaborate fingering exercise" for Walsh until Henley heard it and turned it into a song. 

Pretty sure it was Glen Frey that wrote Life in the Fast Lane.

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Then he wakes up with a start from a dream, as his wife exits the shower and calls him honey. Then the camera pans out until we see a snow globe. And then, the camera pans over to a kitchen bar area where ted is sitting, as beard walks up and pulls out what looks like a gun, but the screen goes black.  The Living Years plays as the credits appear. 

"I mean how silly is that. I'm a football coach and don't know the first thing about soccer. Who would even believe that."

• Haha 1

my big wish for this final season would have been for them to have spent way less time on jack, zava, bald dudes who live on boats, etc, and more time on the team and the main characters. that plus the portions of the last couple episodes where they just bludgeon you to death with what's usually anti-male virtue signaling. my hope for the final three episodes is that they correct this and focus solely on the main cast.

also- what happened to the team therapist? i'm sure they resolved her story, but i have no memory of it. 

• Haha 1

Listen, I’m one of the few who think this season is bloated and is spending way too much precious time on Keeley and the dumb Nate redemption story but “anti-male virtue signaling”?

Get the fuck out of here.

If you think it’s “anti-male” to support the idea that people shouldn’t keep naked pictures of former partners, then that says a lot about you.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Listen, I’m one of the few who think this season is bloated and is spending way too much precious time on Keeley and the dumb Nate redemption story but “anti-male virtue signaling”?

Get the fuck out of here.

If you think it’s “anti-male” to support the idea that people shouldn’t keep naked pictures of former partners, then that says a lot about you.

they literally talked about how scummy teenage boys are and how they grow up to be scummy men in that very same episode. there was so much more than just that one completely ridiculous scene (which again was all about how scummy men are, which was the overriding theme of the episode). it was so blatantly "men are terribl!" that you've got absolute blinders on if you can't see it. 

also they demonized men the entire episode (also had a line about how nobody wants to hang out with old white men) but then had jack ogling the leaked photos of some famous dude with a big dick. it was pretty ridiculous in the midst of all of the "men are pigs for looking at nude photos" virtue signaling. kinda renders your entire argument moot. their stance wasn't that "people" shouldn't keep nude photos, it was that men shouldn't. 

Edited by shadow_operative

shit ton of ham handed dialogue and "holy shit, we only have one more season and we haven't done a storyline about X".  It's like Oprah...you get a storyline, you get a storyline and you get a storyline.  It's OK but it pales to the first 2 seasons.

• Hook 'Em 1

lol. i could not care less what the virtue signaling is about, whether it's that "all men are pigs" or that "it's ok to be gay." neither one is relevant to the show, and the gratuitous virtue signaling down this home stretch run of the show has just been weird and out of place. they've doubled the airtime of each episode, but not so that they could wrap up the existing storylines, but to add in brand new characters who come and go with no purpose, and to make room for the aforementioned virtue signaling. such a strange way to wrap up a series.

also good lord you kids remind me of school children with a kid you love to kick on. you guys wake up in the morning waiting to see what i post here so you can circle jerk over it and freak out about it together. your bombastic responses to my posts never cease to make me laugh. you guys live to get riled up over me, and then whine about it afterward. but supposedly it's me who lacks self awareness. again, hilarious. 

• Hook 'Em 1

IMG_2012.thumb.jpeg.bdd8ff5604649a420d1f51036934ec8a.jpeg

this was written by a chick, who i'm sure in your minds is somehow an incel as well. listen, if you don't see the crazy, gratuitous, nonsensically woke turn this season has taken then you simply are choosing not to see it. it doesn't require an incel to notice this. and y'all swear that i'm the dramatic/combative one. just zero self awareness.

The strange thing to me is how discrete some of these ideas are. Sam’s refugee thing was all of one episode, had the shut up and dribble tweet, had the restaurant vandalism, then nothing. 

sam’s dad talked to him and everything was better.  Never mentioned again, so far. 

There was the bullying incident with Henry, with the shocking reveal that Henry was the bully. That was less than one episode. 

henry’s dad talked to him and everything was better.  Never mentioned again, so far. 

Still unsure why Jack needed to be a woman, or why a brief, dysfunctional relationship with her boss was the way her screen time was used this season.  It made more sense when Jack was the new woman that keely was aspiring to be, and juxtaposed to her old friend that she brought on. 

Nate’s sudden heel turn makes even less sense now that he has just as quickly turned back. 

zava, so far, was pointless. As I opined well upthread, maybe they’ve needed to gin up reasons that Richmond are winning matches. Zava is one, total football is another.  And amazingly they may be in a position to be playing for the league title, or a euro qualification spot-even though I don’t think they’ve mentioned where in the table the team is at any time. 

Rebecca’s one night stand in Amsterdam? Actually the entire episode, did it do anything to advance the plot?  Since ted dreamed up his football strategy in an American themed restaurant from watching old video of the triangle offense, he didn’t need to be in holland for inspiration.  It actually would have made more sense if he had learned about total football because he was there.

I think scope creep is a real issue. 

But I still enjoy the characters, even though I think these things about what they are being made to do. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Three gay characters! It’s WOKE.  ITS LIKE A DEI hr video now!  GTFO 

Now anytime a show that talks about an equality or racism, the mouth breathers scream WOKE.  And then Go shoot up bud light cans.  They are the real snowflakes. 

For those complaining about the lack of realism, well nothing is more real then the EPL addressing racism.  They have large campaigns on it, players take a knee prior to games.  There are regular issues across europe with racist fans.  But Tv show bringing this up?   IT IS WOKE!   Moronic. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

They haven't even addressed the rampant racist abuse european soccer fans hurl at players.   That's been a huge problem that has made the news on many occasions, nary a mention on TL.  I assumed the F-word episode was trying to do double duty.  gasp!

It's amazing  "bad shit never happens, stop talking about it, why are you talking about it, that was a long time ago, OMG I'm so mad you're talking about it!  That's why we treat you this way!!!1!"

Edited by locodos

ted lasso has a platform, and if they want to use that platform to address some societal issues, i'm fine with it.  i'm fine with it as long as it doesn't come at the expense of shit i care about, which it largely hasn't, because the episode length has practically doubled.

my only semi-gripe is that lasso already had a pretty wholesome messaging agenda and was executing it flawlessly, even if folks didn't even realize it.  shit, that's what earned them the platform to begin with.  they were at the white house addressing mental health for christ's sake.

if anything, i would respond to the "woke" allegations and just say that's it's more lazy than anything.  i would've rather seen colin's journey on its own (with trent, who presumably was out when the show started).  having keeley with a woman for half the season seems to bump against that storyline and was unnecessary.  again, not because of the gay, but because of the lazy writing.  it's a woman, with a man's name - twist!  then they start dating - double twist!

i miss the simple, quaint days of micro-aggressions against nate.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Stop protecting him. If he wants to have an opinion and then attack people for having a different opinion and basically shitting on any attempt to have a discussion, then he can take it 

uh, blacklab made that post because you guys have been attacking me. and again, it's you and your crew who are shitting all over the thread and any attempt discussion with your combative and insulting posts. it's frankly insane that you and your crew are so unaware of this. you're so caught up in your own shit that you believe that blacklab is *protecting* me. do you realize how insane that is? he is literally asking you and yours to stop doing what you've been doing. how do you not get that?

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

IMG_2012.thumb.jpeg.bdd8ff5604649a420d1f51036934ec8a.jpeg

this was written by a chick, who i'm sure in your minds is somehow an incel as well. listen, if you don't see the crazy, gratuitous, nonsensically woke turn this season has taken then you simply are choosing not to see it. it doesn't require an incel to notice this. and y'all swear that i'm the dramatic/combative one. just zero self awareness.

Joe Brolly on Twitter: "Celebrated US right wing hate monger Bethany Mandel  is blabbering on about wokeness when the host asks her to define it. Enjoy…  https://t.co/JHsQbwtA13" / Twitter

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Rebecca’s one night stand in Amsterdam? Actually the entire episode, did it do anything to advance the plot?  Since ted dreamed up his football strategy in an American themed restaurant from watching old video of the triangle offense, he didn’t need to be in holland for inspiration.  It actually would have made more sense if he had learned about total football because he was there.

No one seemed to mind "Beard After Hours".  That certainly didn't advance plots.

I mean I get it that people like to dissect things.  I'm just here to enjoy the ride (and have enjoyed it).

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

uh, blacklab made that post because you guys have been attacking me. and again, it's you and your crew who are shitting all over the thread and any attempt discussion with your combative and insulting posts. it's frankly insane that you and your crew are so unaware of this. you're so caught up in your own shit that you believe that blacklab is *protecting* me. do you realize how insane that is? he is literally asking you and yours to stop doing what you've been doing. how do you not get that?

People aren't attacking you.  Your posts in here beg for a response, and when the weaknesses in your points are highlighted you view them as attacks.  Perhaps some introspection is in order.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

ted lasso has a platform, and if they want to use that platform to address some societal issues, i'm fine with it.  i'm fine with it as long as it doesn't come at the expense of shit i care about, which it largely hasn't, because the episode length has practically doubled.

my only semi-gripe is that lasso already had a pretty wholesome messaging agenda and was executing it flawlessly, even if folks didn't even realize it.  shit, that's what earned them the platform to begin with.  they were at the white house addressing mental health for christ's sake.

if anything, i would respond to the "woke" allegations and just say that's it's more lazy than anything.  i would've rather seen colin's journey on its own (with trent, who presumably was out when the show started).  having keeley with a woman for half the season seems to bump against that storyline and was unnecessary.  again, not because of the gay, but because of the lazy writing.  it's a woman, with a man's name - twist!  then they start dating - double twist!

i miss the simple, quaint days of micro-aggressions against nate.

I think every plot line that some may take issue with or take as "woke" are things the writers felt they had the platform to do and given there's no more seasons left, they went for them. For Sudeikis, it was working through his divorce and how that affected him especially your ex moving on. For Keeley, it was putting a human face on the Fappening. For Goldstein I guess was a lot of the issues he feels are in football that he would like to talk about such as racism, homophobia, fans feeling they can say what they want because they bought a ticket. I'm not sure why the Rebecca plotline is a bridge too far for some considering she was sleeping with Sam last season. 

I don't love every second of the show and some things were hamfisted but I really just don't care. It's an f'ing TV show that I enjoy watching. Nothing more. The little things just don't bother me or take away from my enjoyment.

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, blacklab said:

If you want to argue the about the show it's fine, no need to attack other posters

Really? Every time Derka posts something, someone disagrees with it, and Derka immediately follows up with a woe is me, why is everyone attacking me response to which people then respond to his woe is me diatribe. The last ten pages of this thread have been a beating of posts by a certain poster who doesn’t like the show but still bitches about it incessantly. There are still some interesting (maybe not that interesting ) discussions on this final season.

As far as the show, it’s still worth watching which is all that matters. Some of the story lines are dumb, some of the new character introductions are worthless, but who cares. I watch it every week because it’s still more interesting than most other things out right now. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

People aren't attacking you.  Your posts in here beg for a response, and when the weaknesses in your points are highlighted you view them as attacks.  Perhaps some introspection is in order.

blacklab didn't delete a bunch of yalls posts because you "highlighted the weaknesses in my points", he deleted a bunch of your posts because they were personally attacking me because of my show related opinions. he deleted yalls posts and then came in here and reminded y'all to keep it about the show, and not about insulting people, and yet you STILL make me out to be the aggressor and yourselves the helpless victims of my supposed antics. mental. gymnastics.

as i keep repeating, i am completely blown away and just stunned at the collective lack of self awareness. it's truly dumbfounding.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Brew said:

Really? Every time Derka posts something, someone disagrees with it, and Derka immediately follows up with a woe is me, why is everyone attacking me response to which people then respond to his woe is me diatribe. The last ten pages of this thread have been a beating of posts by a certain poster who doesn’t like the show but still bitches about it incessantly. There are still some interesting (maybe not that interesting ) discussions on this final season.

As far as the show, it’s still worth watching which is all that matters. Some of the story lines are dumb, some of the new character introductions are worthless, but who cares. I watch it every week because it’s still more interesting than most other things out right now. 

this is a fairytale. there are tons of people in here criticizing the show, yet only one of us continually gets singled out and personally attacked. which leaves us with one of two possibilities:

either im going out of my way to upset everybody and blacklab is inexplicably white knighting me and "protecting" me

OR

a bunch of people who already don't like me are going out of their way to freak out and and be combative and insulting every time i say something. 

the fact that several of y'all have already admitted to believing the first option to be true is sincerely alarming. i haven't done or said anything to deserve it provoke your bombastic reactions. when you've got blacklab in a thread defending me, it's time to look in the mirror. again, it wasn't my posts that got deleted because they were personal attacks. that would be several of y'all. realize what's going on already. jesus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

this is a fairytale. there are tons of people in here criticizing the show, yet only one of us continually gets singled out and personally attacked. which leaves us with one of two possibilities:

either im going out of my way to upset everybody and blacklab is inexplicably white knighting me and "protecting" me

OR

a bunch of people who already don't like me are going out of their way to freak out and and be combative and insulting every time i say something. 

the fact that several of y'all have already admitted to believing the first option to be true is sincerely alarming. i haven't done or said anything to deserve it provoke your bombastic reactions. when you've got blacklab in a thread defending me, it's time to look in the mirror. again, it wasn't my posts that got deleted because they were personal attacks. that would be several of y'all. realize what's going on already. jesus.

IMG_0180.gif

Ted Lasso has been "woke" (whatever that means) since S1 E1.   What's different this season is that it's like the writers are going down a checklist of issues to work into the show, and basically doing drive-bys with those issues, like Duck mentioned.

Rep to Derka for skillfully using "bombastic."  Good word.