Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

what a crazy twist that nobody saw coming because nobody gives a shit.

ok, where to begin.

1. juno temple (keeley) was never hot.  she's little and wears tight clothes.  she's 33 and looks like she's 40+ and she wasn't hot 15 years ago when she was in year one with jack black.  no idea how she dated two football stars.  we've all seen photos of the chicks those guys pull.

All of this. Sassy on the other hand made it move. 

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

For this next drill, we’re going to tie derka’s dick to hamsterhooka’s dick and put them in their own Ted Lasso thread.

I mean, Derka is mostly right in this one thread that I am in that he is also in. I'm sorry if we are supposed to be blindly against anything he says, but he's kinda right so I will every so often pos rep posts I agree with and/or think are funny. Why is that such an ordeal?

This episode was trash. It was probably the worst episode of all 3 seasons. That's my opinion, at least.

10 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

I mean, Derka is mostly right in this one thread that I am in that he is also in. I'm sorry if we are supposed to be blindly against anything he says, but he's kinda right so I will every so often pos rep posts I agree with and/or think are funny. Why is that such an ordeal?

This episode was trash. It was probably the worst episode of all 3 seasons. That's my opinion, at least.

There is nothing wrong with this statement at all, and I would agree that this was possibly the worst episode of the series. This may be an unpopular comment, but I dislike pretty much every scene with Henry in it. I don’t think the kid playing that character is a very good actor. Every scene with him seems a little awkward to me. The only character/actor I’ve disliked as much would be “Nora” from Season 2.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Hate said:

There is nothing wrong with this statement at all, and I would agree that this was possibly the worst episode of the series. This may be an unpopular comment, but I dislike pretty much every scene with Henry in it. I don’t think the kid playing that character is a very good actor. Every scene with him seems a little awkward to me. The only character/actor I’ve disliked as much would be “Nora” from Season 2.

I think one of the problems, as others have hit on, is the longer run time. This episode was an hour long dang near. At the 25 minute mark I remember looking how much time had passed because the episode was still stuck in first gear. Worse than first gear. The first 25 minutes could have been completely cut.

17 hours ago, sidis said:

i haven't watched it yet but regarding the negative feedback on this page, i did see on my feed that the episode was partly written by my favorite all time british woman keeley hazell.  i did not know my favorite all time british woman was a writer.

i'll just leave that there.

She's not.  The benefits of fucking the creator/star.

17 hours ago, sidis said:

i haven't watched it yet but regarding the negative feedback on this page, i did see on my feed that the episode was partly written by my favorite all time british woman keeley hazell.  i did not know my favorite all time british woman was a writer.

i'll just leave that there.

I mentioned noticing that a handful of pages back. It's really telling if she's had any real hand in writing/steering this season.

1 hour ago, Hate said:

This may be an unpopular comment, but I dislike pretty much every scene with Henry in it. I don’t think the kid playing that character is a very good actor. Every scene with him seems a little awkward to me. 

child actors are tough and he's terrible.  you could see it in the first scene of the season. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Take your grievances to the love hounds. 

speaking of, it makes no sense for Nate to ask Rupert to take part in that when he’s busy hiding his emotion from him at all other times as one of the few conflicts left. 

I know we are supposed to suspend disbelief but it what world would Nate think it was a good idea to invite Rupert to his Love Hounds meeting. He does know who Rupert is, right?

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

the nate/hostess story line is by the far the most bizarre and least believable storyline of this season. not only is it a played out trope that's been done a million times, but this iteration of it is just incompetently lazy writing. nate is a small, insecure, unattractive man who looks twice his actual age, and who has less than zero confidence, much less game. the hostess naturally sees him as a joke and is completely uninterested in him, until one day she sees him have a bad date, and the next day she's waking up in bed with him, just completely smitten by him, with zero reason given for this change whatsoever. it's impossible to believe in or care about.

speaking of change, S1 of this show is the most universally well received and beloved season of TV that i've ever witnessed. in that light, the show's decision to change so many of its main characters is just baffling.

•Nate has gone from lovable upstart to unfounded heel turn right back to being someone who is supposed to be a sympathetic character, because reasons 

•Jamie has gone from your typical self absorbed, superstar soccer player who only cares about himself to some sort of self aware, thoughtful, essentially perfect person

•Roy has seen his lines go way down despite the episodes doubling in length, and he too has gone from this finished product of a man to this wonderful, thoughtful, more caring/positive person, because reasons 

•Rupert has gone from the main antagonist (aside from rebecca, who is now also bff's with everyone and super happy and supportive and different from he S1 chatacter) to someone who essentially isn't even on the show anymore

•hell, even the three perpetually angry soccer hooligan dudes from the bar are now just full of positivity and belief

never seen a show be so overwhelmingly popular only to fundamentally change most of its main characters, sometimes multiple times. and the only reason for this constant change seems to be "our characters all need to be great, warm, loving people." super disappointing after the magic of season one. 

Yeah, like a restaurant hostess would start banging a guy after he became a professionally and financially successful public figure. Would never happen. 

The eternal magic of season 1 of which you're so fond was grounded in the unwavering positivity of Ted Lasso. Yet, you're surprised that people who have spent extended time with Ted Lasso have shed some negative attributes and now exhibit positive attributes.

and come on.. are most viewers like : "So good. awesome! A communal sing-a-long to 'Hey Jude'"

Ted's rightfully hurting from his divorce, but he is going to have a polite breakfast with his ex and her bf (former marriage counselor)? I know Ted is polite to a fault, but come on.

I will admit, this show makes my brain hurt.

Edited by yoladu
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Ted's rightfully hurting from his divorce, but he is going to have a polite breakfast with his ex and her bf (former marriage counselor)? I know Ted is polite to a fault, but come on.

I will admit, this show makes my brain hurt.

it was always a tough needle to thread having ted be super likable and positive and considerate, but also the type of person who was going through a divorce (with a kid).

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, gernblansten said:

Yeah, like a restaurant hostess would start banging a guy after he became a professionally and financially successful public figure. Would never happen. 

The eternal magic of season 1 of which you're so fond was grounded in the unwavering positivity of Ted Lasso. Yet, you're surprised that people who have spent extended time with Ted Lasso have shed some negative attributes and now exhibit positive attributes.

they haven't become slightly more positive, they've become completely different people after spending a little time with a positive-to-his-detriment foreigner. i don't care how desperately you want the show to make sense, it doesn't. i suppose spending time with cheerful ole Ted also explains Jamie's accent completely devolving into unintelligible cockney as well?

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Drool 1

46 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

well that's not what happened on this show, so i have no clue what you're getting at here. 

It kind of is. This is his first year, he doesn’t get the time of day up to now, presto he’s famous, she finds out he’s famous and likely well off, now they’re banging. That’s a story that is old as time. That’s one of the more believable stories.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

The thing they ruined about the Emperor in Star Wars was he was better heard and rarely seen.  You get some references and only minor glimpses of him until the end.  Then they had to go fuck it up with all the new shit.  With Rupert I think people seem to think he was on screen a lot in the first season (he wasn't) He didn't even really show up until the 4th episode "For the Children" and then was more featured in episodes 8, 9 and 10. It's almost like he's the Emperor or something, talked about throughout, making a brief early appearance in Empire and then showing up full force in Return of the Jedi.

On the Jade thing, the motivation is a little fuzzy, but I also didn't really need them spending a ton of time expounding on it.  People fall in love for all kinds of fucking reasons and a goodly portion of them when you ask them to explain it can't even do it.  Could that have been done a bit better?  Absolutely.  Is Hollywood known at times to have a couple people that on the surface you can't understand what they would even see in each other somehow fall in love without a ton of explanation? Absolutely.  It's a plot point that could have been done a bit better but not something tanking the show.  

Edited by Surly Bevo

1 hour ago, Brew said:

It kind of is. This is his first year, he doesn’t get the time of day up to now, presto he’s famous, she finds out he’s famous and likely well off, now they’re banging. That’s a story that is old as time. That’s one of the more believable stories.

he's been a wildly famous coach since before he ever met her. she knew who he was and still wasn't interested. the only reason she ever became interested was because she witnessed him have a bad date. his job title and paycheck had nothing to do with it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

it was always a tough needle to thread having ted be super likable and positive and considerate, but also the type of person who was going through a divorce (with a kid).

Plus we have to look past the fact that his marriage was on the rocks and he chose that time in his life to move to another continent for 2-3 years. For all of Ted’s positives, he kinda left his family behind.

Maybe his marriage was never going to recover, but it seems like he wanted to save it and he picked the least likely scenario for that to happen. Also, voluntarily choosing a situation that means watching your kid grow up via FaceTime - no one does that.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

he's been a wildly famous coach since before he ever met her. she knew who he was and still wasn't interested. the only reason she ever became interested was because she witnessed him have a bad date. his job title and paycheck had nothing to do with it. 

I don’t keep up with episode by episode history, but he wasn’t “wildly famous” when she was introduced in Season 2 in the episode with his parents. He may be “wildly famous” at the end of Season 2 and in Season 3 which also happens to be the season that she took an interest in him. Hell, it was only an episode or two ago where the manager gushed over him in front of her.

he's been one of the most famous people in the entire country since he went from anonymous kit man at richmond to manager of west ham in one year. she knows who he is, and his money and fame are factually not the reasons she is with him. that's a fact. the writers of the show would be the first to tell you that. she 100% knew who he was and had zero interest in him before his bad date, and then shortly after his bad date she finds herself waking up next to him in bed and looking at him adoringly like he's the love of her life. his money, job title, and fame had nothing to do with her change of heart. again, these are facts which are not up for dispute. i swear y'all are arguing just to argue.

25 minutes ago, mdmost said:

ironic-1.jpg

you knew this post was coming, replete with the horde of pos reps from the usual suspects, but in all seriousness, you don't actually believe that, do you? that i argue just to argue? say what you want about me, but i always vehemently believe in whatever it is i'm arguing for/against.

beyond this, you guys have me- you have your "derka", and your strongly embedded feelings about him (me). dozens and dozens of people on this site have made up their minds about me, and will argue with anything i say on principal/reflex alone. i don't do that. i simply post whatever it is that i believe in, and i respond to people who respond to/address me. nothing more.

after all, i am FAR from alone in my criticisms of this show, and yet none of the other people who are saying the exact same things as me have half of this thread fixated on them. funny how that always works out. so yeah. pretty hard to argue that i'm the guy who just argues gratuitously in this situation here.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

i swear y'all are arguing just to argue.

You make an argument and then you can't resist throwing this in.  This is known as an ad hominem argument.  It's weak. It's why you get shit thrown back at you....you do this often.  You leave that out, no Alanis Morisette.  

15 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

You make an argument and then you can't resist throwing this in.  This is known as an ad hominem argument.  It's weak. It's why you get shit thrown back at you....you do this often.  You leave that out, no Alanis Morisette.  

give me a break. if you actually had a problem with ad hominem attacks you'd be my biggest proponent. you guys don't get to single me out over and over and over and over and then quote that one pretty f'ing innocuous line and say, "See! you bring this on yourself!" that's just straight up self serving BS. don't blame that one line on literal years of arguing with my takes for sport.

and for the record there was nothing "ad hominem" about what i said. when you are arguing a point that is 100% factually incorrect, and when you're doing it with me, the guy who keeps getting singled out for posting things that countless others are also posting, then yes, i swear you are arguing just to argue. that's not ad hominem shit talk, that's my legit opinion. 

I just told you why you get what you get.

I mean if you want to address the things you KNOW AS FACT despite as far as I know you are not a producer, writer, cast or crew member for Ted Lasso we can do that as well.

She KNOWS who Nate is. Yea maybe maybe not. I don’t know but uhh neither do you. Not everyone in England cares or gives a shit about football and I imagine plenty of folks would have no fucking clue about who the manager of the historically AT BEST 4th team in London is.

Case in point

https://www.primetimer.com/item/Ted-Lassos-Nick-Mohammed-isnt-a-fan-of-soccer-at-all-quot-I-couldnt-give-any-amount-of-care-for-the-sport-whatsoever-quot-9YSdwa

I agree his fame is very unlikely the reason she is with him but I don’t know it as FACT.

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

how many people do you think will dump apple tv as soon as TL ends? i know i will. i have to imagine scores of other people will as well.

I’m in that boat.

And just an anecdotal observation, but S1, Ted Lasso was all anyone talked about from a water cooler talk perspective. It was great great but also very trendy and word of mouth was buzzy.

I never hear anyone of those same people talking about S3 these days. I don’t know if the perfect storm and time in the sun is over or if people just soured on S2 or what, but I’ve noticed the fall out of the zeitgeist.

I guess the real test will be how many Emmy nods S3 gets?

Edited by HamsterHookah

On 5/3/2023 at 2:53 AM, shadow_operative said:

also, for all of the virtue signaling in that episode, it was pretty strange that they had jack ogle the male celebrity with the big dick, meanwhile the main theme of the hour long episode is, "men are pigs who are disgusting for ogling released nudes of famous women", replete with a big, strong, premier league center back demanding that his entire team delete every photo and video of their ostensibly female exes, including a q&a on which photos you're allowed to keep of your female ex, with the "obvious" answer being 'none.' what a strange episode that was. pretty much just one minute of alluding to richmond winning matches, followed by 59 minutes of gratuitously shaming men. this for me was probably the worst episode of the series.

Okay, incel.  

15 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

I’m in that boat.

And just an anecdotal observation, but S1, Ted Lasso was all anyone talked about from a water cooler talk perspective. It was great great but also very trendy and word of mouth was buzzy.

I never hear anyone of those same people talking about S3 these days. I don’t know if the perfect storm and time in the sun is over or if people just soured on S2 or what, but I’ve noticed the fall out of the zeitgeist.

Most people do only have about a 15 second  attention span these days. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Deej said:

Most people do only have about a 15 second  attention span these days. 

That’s one of the things people are talking about with the writers strike. Not so much Ted Lasso, but other shows that have a big break or hiatus between them and how they lose momentum and lose viewers and never recover.

45 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

I’m in that boat.

I've started going through the Apple List and have a ton of shows I have earmarked for watching. Halfway through a few, just started a few, will start some more in the future. Apple TV has some quality stuff, IYKYK.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

The worst part about this season for me is the movement away from the team, the team made the show great, now we get 5 minutes of team and 45 minutes of keeley and teds divorce. 

Ending the show every week with ted having hope on a reunion with his wife is pretty heavy handed foreshadowing.

The team segments are the best segments, need more of those, and way less keeley.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

S2 Nate goes into the restaurant and gets shunned by Jade.  She refuses to sit him at the window seat.

S3 Nate walks in and she still doesn’t know who he is.  She likely does not follow sports.  She doesn’t find out who he is until her boss gushes over Nate.

Nate then brings a supermodel to the restaurant and gets utterly embarrassed.  Jade watches this happen and she sits down with him.

Then we get the montage of Nate always walking by the restaurant and waving at her.

Next is the story from Nate’s mom about how his dad asked her out.  Nate creates the elementary school project and goes to give it to Jade but ultimately falls flat on his face in front of her.  He still manages to ask her out.

That brings us to present day where they are currently dating.  Present day, however, is at least weeks in the future as the beginning of this episode had Richmond winning multiple games in a row.  Those don’t happen all in one week.  So yes it is very realistic and plausible that after weeks of dating Jade has started to fall in love with Nate.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Realism and plausibility in my tv show about an American football coach who likely would have been fired after his first season coaching English soccer purely as a gimmick? 

Shocked Pop Tv GIF by Nightcap

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Juicy said:

The team segments are the best segments, need more of those, and way less keeley.  

Not always.. we got 5 minutes of ham-handed exposition about social media/privacy in the locker room last episode.

"locker room talk" indeed!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Realism and plausibility in my tv show about an American football coach who likely would have been fired after his first season coaching English soccer purely as a gimmick? 

Shocked Pop Tv GIF by Nightcap

I’m actually shocked that it’s never been pointed out that it’s literally impossible for Ted and likely Nate, to be a professional soccer head coach. Ted certainly didn’t have the Level 5 credentials to get a UEFA Pro License. 

• Haha 1

I’m actually shocked that it’s never been pointed out that it’s literally impossible for Ted and likely Nate, to be a professional soccer head coach. Ted certainly didn’t have the Level 5 credentials to get a UEFA Pro License. 

Rebecca made a call
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, yoladu said:

Not always.. we got 5 minutes of ham-handed exposition about social media/privacy in the locker room last episode.

"locker room talk" indeed!

that scene might have been the least realistic thing this show has ever done lol. buncha rich and famous EPL players having an impromptu heartfelt meeting about treating all women, especially their exes, with the utmost respect at all times. great example of how the show has become more about beating you over the head with the show writers' morality than it has about making you laugh or telling well thought out, completed stories. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

21 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

they haven't become slightly more positive, they've become completely different people after spending a little time with a positive-to-his-detriment foreigner. i don't care how desperately you want the show to make sense, it doesn't. i suppose spending time with cheerful ole Ted also explains Jamie's accent completely devolving into unintelligible cockney as well?

19 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

17 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

he's been one of the most famous people in the entire country since he went from anonymous kit man at richmond to manager of west ham in one year. she knows who he is, and his money and fame are factually not the reasons she is with him. that's a fact. the writers of the show would be the first to tell you that. she 100% knew who he was and had zero interest in him before his bad date, and then shortly after his bad date she finds herself waking up next to him in bed and looking at him adoringly like he's the love of her life. his money, job title, and fame had nothing to do with her change of heart. again, these are facts which are not up for dispute. i swear y'all are arguing just to argue.

16 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

how many people do you think will dump apple tv as soon as TL ends? i know i will. i have to imagine scores of other people will as well.

15 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

give me a break. if you actually had a problem with ad hominem attacks you'd be my biggest proponent. you guys don't get to single me out over and over and over and over and then quote that one pretty f'ing innocuous line and say, "See! you bring this on yourself!" that's just straight up self serving BS. don't blame that one line on literal years of arguing with my takes for sport.

and for the record there was nothing "ad hominem" about what i said. when you are arguing a point that is 100% factually incorrect, and when you're doing it with me, the guy who keeps getting singled out for posting things that countless others are also posting, then yes, i swear you are arguing just to argue. that's not ad hominem shit talk, that's my legit opinion. 

Oh-boy-here-we-go GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

FWIW I won't be dropping Apple TV.  Although it may be a while before Severance comes back on, they've had some other things that have been good.  I'm probably going to start the Jennifer Garner show once I'm done with Yellowjackets and Black Mirror, e.g.  Also I watched Ghosted the other night between the two Stars games.  Wasn't a particularly good movie but I could watch Ana de Armas read the phone book for two hours and be fully engrossed.