Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

17 minutes ago, austingirl said:

Loved seeing Trent party it up with Colin and show up as a friend for him. I've always thought he's the sexiest man on the show and I'm glad they didn't have him do anything nefarious with what he knew about Colin.

crimm has been one of the most consistent (and consistently well-meaning) characters on the show.  he's had several opportunities to wreck ted's life/career and has passed on every one.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

crimm has been one of the most consistent (and consistently well-meaning) characters on the show.  he's had several opportunities to wreck ted's life/career and has passed on every one.

It's almost like he has....integrity (well except for the whole part where he revealed a source)

3 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

It's almost like he has....integrity (well except for the whole part where he revealed a source)

well that was his tipping point.  and he knew exactly who nate was.  in the context of the show, that was a "good guy" moment. 

the show does a nice job letting us know who everyone is and who we're rooting for/against, but then also throws a curveball every now and then.  like with jamie - he's gone back and forth.  crimm was definitely set up to be ted's foil, then he won him over.

the issue many of you are having - and i know because i'm having the same one - is that typically shows have someone that "we just want to be happy".  in this show, it should be ted.  but they've mainly shied away from his romantic entanglements (the seasonal sassy encounter aside).  for some reason, they keep pushing the narrative that we just want rebecca to be happy. 

i don't really give a shit if rebecca is happy or not, relationship-wise.  most of her scenes are a waste of time unless she's battling with rupert, the real "bad guy" of the show.

• Hook 'Em 6

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

couldn't agree more, i could not have given a shit less about that played out meet cute shit. i wanted to ffwd every scene, and i don't feel i'd have missed out on anything if i had. the formulado nature of this show can still be tolerable, but for me, this was not an example of that. it was trite and uninspired, and beyond that, it's a huge pet peeve of mine when a show does a storyline like that where it demands that i really really give a shit about a brand new character whom i've never even seen before. totally pointless.

Preach!

16 hours ago, uoftorange said:

No such thing in soccer.  It's all been done before.  It's whether you have the personnel to achieve your goals with it now.  

i get that, but it's a TV show with an American football coach managing a Premier League team. I've already suspended a lot of disbelief.

Ted was "tripping".. at  least have something interesting come of that. Call it the "whirlydo" formation or something. i can already hear in my head the voice of Milo Hamilton - "oh my, Richmond is employing a "Total Football" strategy!" in next weeks episode. Yawn.

I think you guys need to let it breathe a bit.  Like I already said, the main guys responsible for this show "fell in love" with soccer when they were in Amsterdam.  The Total Football bit is them paying homage to the place where they all got their initial taste of the game (and it happens to fit in real nicely with Ted's general philosophies on things).   That said, there is likely to be a point where the tactic struggles and for me at least that is where I think Nate steps back in, offering his tactical acumen to put some sort of spin on things (as he has done before) that helps Richmond achieve whatever they are trying to achieve.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

the issue many of you are having - and i know because i'm having the same one - is that typically shows have someone that "we just want to be happy".  in this show, it should be ted.  but they've mainly shied away from his romantic entanglements (the seasonal sassy encounter aside).  for some reason, they keep pushing the narrative that we just want rebecca to be happy. 

i don't really give a shit if rebecca is happy or not, relationship-wise.  most of her scenes are a waste of time unless she's battling with rupert, the real "bad guy" of the show.

my favorite part of Season 1 was the conflict between Rebecca and Ted. she was a great heel.

13 minutes ago, The Dog said:

my favorite part of Season 1 was the conflict between Rebecca and Ted. she was a great heel.

Yes, but as he and others have said, her character sucks now. This was a fantastic episode and the only real drag was the Rebecca/Boat guy scenes which were boring and lame and nobody cares about her or the psychic. 

14 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

well that was his tipping point.  and he knew exactly who nate was.  in the context of the show, that was a "good guy" moment. 

the show does a nice job letting us know who everyone is and who we're rooting for/against, but then also throws a curveball every now and then.  like with jamie - he's gone back and forth.  crimm was definitely set up to be ted's foil, then he won him over.

There's still the underlying tension of whether Rebecca will have to fire a coach.  

Edited by Mdhorn

About halfway through the episode, I was thinking about how Ted has actually done nothing as the coach this season. Removing the curfew may have been the most coaching he did. Roy has been playing more of the coach's role at least in terms of mentoring Jamie.  I was glad to see that Ted invented a new style, even if he truly didn't invent it. It doesn't take away that he came up with it without prior knowledge. 

I'm late to this thread, but reading back a few pages it's clear that different folks are looking for different things in this show.  I kinda feel bad for you If you are on team OMG this isn't realistic.   The very best parts of the show are wildly unrealistic.  Also don't check out Field of Dreams... I mean how is that even possible?!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, locodos said:

I'm late to this thread, but reading back a few pages it's clear that different folks are looking for different things in this show.  I kinda feel bad for you If you are on team OMG this isn't realistic.   The very best parts of the show are wildly unrealistic.  Also don't check out Field of Dreams... I mean how is that even possible?!

Completely agree. Shoeless Joe Jackson wasn't ITALIAN

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

Yes, but as he and others have said, her character sucks now. This was a fantastic episode and the only real drag was the Rebecca/Boat guy scenes which were boring and lame and nobody cares about her or the psychic. 

They're setting this up for someone in one (or more) of the later episodes.  Don't have a clue what it is obviously, and don't know that anyone will ever care, but three of the predictions have come true.  I'm guessing they all tie in together that will force her hand into doing something with the team.

21 minutes ago, locodos said:

i'm not seeing many complaints about the show being unrealistic, more that it's stale and predictable. it feels a lot like how modern family turned on a dime after the first few seasons, and then every single episode after that was just full of unoriginal, formulaic storylines where everyone loves everyone and everything always works out in the end and we make some friends and learn some lessons along the way. it's not at all like season one, the season that made all of us fall in love with the show.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

Rebecca was hotter in boat guy's ex's clothes than anything else she has worn on the show.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Anybody notice Trent wears this shirt at the end: 

image.thumb.png.4201cc600b256cd8e749a22a5020bd47.png

That's Midlake, a band from Denton, Texas. Didn't know they were this big overseas, or maybe not.  But pretty cool they got placement on a hit show.    

Midlake Logo Tee

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I got turned on to them after seeing them years and years ago behind Yard Dog on South Congress.  Now they're on Ted Lasso.  That's fucking awesome.  

Trent seems like the kinda guy who would say, "I liked your favorite band ten years before you, fucking poseur."  And the person, all shocked and defeated, "Okay man, you don't have to be mean about it."  And Trent would laugh, "Nah mate, just fucking with you.  Here I burned you a CD of some of their early stuff, enjoy.  Cheers."  

19 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i'm not seeing many complaints about the show being unrealistic, more that it's stale and predictable. it feels a lot like how modern family turned on a dime after the first few seasons, and then every single episode after that was just full of unoriginal, formulaic storylines where everyone loves everyone and everything always works out in the end and we make some friends and learn some lessons along the way. it's not at all like season one, the season that made all of us fall in love with the show.

Well, I like it.  Escapism is part of entertainment.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I hadn't thought of Midlake in a long time. They had one album circa 2005 that I wore out. 

Their 2013 record Antiphon was one of my favorites of that year. They opened a few of the PJ shows that year too, which was cool. 

Edited by 4th&Five

20 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Once again will point out that once you get to know characters, their motivations, how they react to certain things, and more and more is revealed about their backstory and the show isn't premised on being some suspense thriller or twist-oriented action/adventure that yea things will become more predictable.  The main characters in this show (Ted, Roy, Jaime, Nate and even Rebecca) are all fighting inner demons that center on their upbringing that have had significant impacts on how they manage adult relationships.  We know that now, there isn't as much mystery about what makes them tick as there was in season 1.   Really Keely is the only one who doesn't fall as much in that boat.   That's life man, that's relationships....this isn't novel to a TV show. 

Even a show as great as Seinfeld that was about nothing still became more predictable as you went along and got to know Jerry, George, Kramer, Elaine.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

I will also point out that is the main purpose of a character like Sam.  He's a juxtaposition.  A man who clearly has loving, supporting parents who have guided him to try to be a good man, see the best in the world, and do the right thing.  He's the antithesis of the main characters who all have baggage and it's why for 2.5 seasons now while sure he has had the adult problems at times all adults have he has generally always been happy and in a very good place.

You could say the same for Higgins.  He has his quirks and oddities, but he is clearly very comfortable with who he is.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

Anybody notice Trent wears this shirt at the end: 

image.thumb.png.4201cc600b256cd8e749a22a5020bd47.png

That's Midlake, a band from Denton, Texas. Didn't know they were this big overseas, or maybe not.  But pretty cool they got placement on a hit show.    

Midlake Logo Tee

I noticed it immediately and mentioned it to my wife. She’d never heard of them.

8 hours ago, Red Five said:

I hadn't thought of Midlake in a long time. They had one album circa 2005 that I wore out. 

Probably this one. Came out in 2006 and was terrific.

image.jpeg.3c7108a9e51b7fce3a8ca38340302cfd.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

I noticed it immediately and mentioned it to my wife. She’d never heard of them.

Yep that's it. Man, time flies. It sure is a great reminder of how old all of the rest of you are getting. 

17 hours ago, C-Man said:

Interesting.  I wonder if this is where The Head and The Heart got the idea for their first album cover.

The Head And The Heart - The Head And The Heart - Amazon.com Music

I’m pretty sure I got this album after it was on the Top Ten on whatever site we were on back then. Great album and I wore it out as well.

Wife and I both noticed it and were super confused on how they got on there. Really cool.

I’m not usually a complainer but

STOP HUMANIZING NATE

They did the heel turn and they’ve spent the last few episodes walking it back.

I don’t care about Keeley and Jack or Sam’s restaurant.

The only time I laughed was the dick tied to dick bit and the only time I got excited was when they scored that goal.

I want my “Ted Lasso” to be “Ted Lasso” not some TGIF lesson of the week sitcom.

A real letdown after last week.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1