Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

13 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Yes. 

Sure season 1 saw them get relegated.

But Season 2 saw them catch fire. After a 4-4-14, they ran off something like a 19-2-3 record to end of the season and get promoted.

I know they are the island of misfit toys, but they are doing something right. 

Not a documentary.

• Haha 1

This show really does sound design well, up there with Stranger Things and The Wire…though part of what I enjoyed about The Wire was that the music was almost all organic in that it came from car stereos, boomboxes, etc and not some generic music montage.  

Lasso does a great job with music montages.  Playing prisencolinensinainciusol was an outstanding choice to convey the sense of moving the story forward in an efficient way with a driving beat that never really builds to a crescendo.  Breaking Bad was another show that did this well, dusting off tier-2 hits or custom instrumentals to fast forward at an engaging pace.  

I love shows that have me googling during an episode to find a song I need on my playlist.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

This show really does sound design well, up there with Stranger Things and The Wire…though part of what I enjoyed about The Wire was that the music was almost all organic in that it came from car stereos, boomboxes, etc and not some generic music montage.  
Lasso does a great job with music montages.  Playing prisencolinensinainciusolwas an outstanding choice to convey the sense of moving the story forward in an efficient way with a driving beat that never really builds to a crescendo.  Breaking Bad was another show that did this well, dusting off tier-2 hits or custom instrumentals to fast forward at an engaging pace.  

I love shows that have me googling during an episode to find a song I need on my playlist.  

Did you have a stroke?

And I mentioned it before as well, but the music has been perfect. It’s almost as if they are writing the scenes around the music it has been so good.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I believe that the psychic's words are going to play a large part in the remainder of the season or least with Rebecca. Everything the psychic said will come to pass in some form.  Possibly including how the broken bowl mended by gold, making it stronger and more beautiful, could be the team itself. I thought Zava was going to be a locker room cancer, like Jamie was in S1, but instead Zava is more like a mystic force willing them to the top of the standings. I don't think he plays the entire season for Richmond. Injury, demand a trade, or even a pilgrimage to Nepal could be his end on the show.

While everyone on the show has a story arc they've gone through or will, Jamie may be the most surprising.  For the love triangle of Roy-Keeley-Jamie, I'm starting to think it wouldn't be surprising if she ends back up with Jamie.  Could be wrong though.

Shite in Knining Armor probably means something.  Sort of makes sense that it's Ted (not necessarily saying it's him from a romantic sense) but ever since he has come along he has been Rebecca's emotional "knight" that a lot of people thought or still think is "shite"

You could also argue if you want to go down the romantic path that Henry would make Rebecca....a mother.

Edited by Surly Bevo

2 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Sounds like the new episode is due to drop at 10 CST tonight, the episode title is Big Week.   They are going to face West Ham.

I hope Zava makes Nate cry.

It’s out already 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Shite in Knining Armor probably means something.  Sort of makes sense that it's Ted (not necessarily saying it's him from a romantic sense) but ever since he has come along he has been Rebecca's emotional "knight" that a lot of people thought or still think is "shite"
You could also argue if you want to go down the romantic path that Henry would make Rebecca....a mother.
Nining Armor... he used to be a shite.Screenshot_20230404-204808_Chrome.jpg

damn, i'd forgotten that great wahl had died until i saw the dedication at the very end of the episode. it was like a gut punch all over again.

as for the episode/show, i have two prevailing feelings: they're going for "feel good" way harder than they are "funny", which is their choice, but i wish they could find a happier medium. and second, as i sort of alluded to earlier, they keep on adding characters to the show, and aside from Zava, i'm really failing to see what these new characters actually add to the show. at this point it seems to me that they're all just taking away time we could be spending on the characters we already know and are invested in, especially with this being the final season. 

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

damn, i'd forgotten that great wahl had died until i saw the dedication at the very end of the episode. it was like a gut punch all over again.

as for the episode/show, i have two prevailing feelings: they're going for "feel good" way harder than they are "funny", which is their choice, but i wish they could find a happier medium. and second, as i sort of alluded to earlier, they keep on adding characters to the show, and aside from Zava, i'm really failing to see what these new characters actually add to the show. at this point it seems to me that they're all just taking away time we could be spending on the characters we already know and are invested in, especially with this being the final season. 

Spoiler

Since they know this is the last season, every story line or new character is setting up the ending and what happens to each character. I have to assume that Keeley is going to get with Jack. Now whether she ends up with Jack, or that relationship sends her back to Roy or even Jamie, who knows. They're definitely keeping us guessing with the Keeley story.  Her friend, Shandy is there to show how much Keeley has matured since we met Keeley.  Or maybe Jack's character is there to give Keeley the final push into being a successful business owner.

And whether any viewer likes it or not, Ted is going back to America to be with his wife and kid. I haven't read any internet spoiler but that is 100% where Ted is ending up. We learned this episode that the Sassy-Ted relationship is going nowhere. And Ted is not going to end up with Rebecca even though some want that.

We don't know precisely where everyone ends up but I'm enjoying the ride. I don't think we will see any crazy twist that wasn't telegraphed to some extent. We're even seeing a thawing of Nate. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

The fuk was that at the end? A smirk a smile ? Bad acting?… seemed like she enjoyed making Ted sad. 

I took it to mean she realized he finally expressed his true emotions, how he was really feeling, and that something hurt him instead of his happy-go-lucky "everything is hunky-dory" shtick. The sort of thing she had wanted him to do during their therapy ("Oklahoma" was a nice callback to S1, as was Nate spitting out his martini). 

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 2

FYI, it’s not official that this is the last season.  It is the last season of this story arc,  but they haven’t ruled out doing more seasons.  

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/arts-and-culture/a43350926/ted-lasso-season-4-date-cast-news/#:~:text=We don't need anymore,come up with so far."&text=The show was always intended,season three being the last.

50 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Since they know this is the last season, every story line or new character is setting up the ending and what happens to each character. I have to assume that Keeley is going to get with Jack. Now whether she ends up with Jack, or that relationship sends her back to Roy or even Jamie, who knows. They're definitely keeping us guessing with the Keeley story.  Her friend, Shandy is there to show how much Keeley has matured since we met Keeley.  Or maybe Jack's character is there to give Keeley the final push into being a successful business owner.

And whether any viewer likes it or not, Ted is going back to America to be with his wife and kid. I haven't read any internet spoiler but that is 100% where Ted is ending up. We learned this episode that the Sassy-Ted relationship is going nowhere. And Ted is not going to end up with Rebecca even though some want that.

We don't know precisely where everyone ends up but I'm enjoying the ride. I don't think we will see any crazy twist that wasn't telegraphed to some extent. We're even seeing a thawing of Nate. 

Spoiler

Richmond beats West Ham for the championship at the end of the season.  Rupert is exposed for cheating and Bex divorces him and he loses his club.  Ironic if Bex ends up owning the club a la Rebecca. 

Rebecca is now a championship owner.  Ted goes back to America to reconcile with Michelle and have his happy family back, along with winning a Premier League title.  Roy takes over as HC of AFC Richmond.  Beard stays in London with AFC Richmond and Randi, err... Jayne. 

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

This episode was lame and the worst of the season so far and speaking of the worst: Keely's friend is the worst character in the 3 seasons.

I'm enjoying seeing Jaime's character progression over time.

Dream big-- you may never wake up

Edited by HamsterHookah

The fuk was that at the end? A smirk a smile ? Bad acting?… seemed like she enjoyed making Ted sad. 
She left Ted because he was always so positive... almost to the point of toxicity. He never complained, he never expressed anger. When he oh-so gently told her that he was not happy about her new relationship was probably the worst argument they ever had. I think that smile was her seeing growth in Ted and genuine happiness for him becoming a whole person.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah shandy is where keely came from, and Jack is where she wants to go. Ghosts of Xmas past and future, in a way. Future keely used to be Rebecca, but has changed. 

Bingo on this one.  Keely's firm, but not over-the-top rebuke and correction of Shandy's action at the end, in front of Jack?  That was "boss-lady" level decision-making.  The show purposefully made it conspicuous in front of Jack, so Jack saw (without artifice) that Keely is actually focused on good business.

3 hours ago, tchookem said:
13 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

She left Ted because he was always so positive... almost to the point of toxicity. He never complained, he never expressed anger. When he oh-so gently told her that he was not happy about her new relationship was probably the worst argument they ever had. I think that smile was her seeing growth in Ted and genuine happiness for him becoming a whole person.

I think this too.  And 100% agreed, this is headed for Ted going home to be with his family.  Which is all he wants, or has ever wanted.  Winning is cool.  Experiences are cool.  Influencing players' lives is cool.  But his family is the only thing that has ever truly mattered to him (and honestly, it's the thing I love most about his character.  Respect.  Although, you know.....he oughta get with Sassy a few more times before he heads home).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dutch said:

I took it to mean she realized he finally expressed his true emotions, how he was really feeling, and that something hurt him instead of his happy-go-lucky "everything is hunky-dory" shtick. The sort of thing she had wanted him to do during their therapy ("Oklahoma" was a nice callback to S1, as was Nate spitting out his martini). 

And she sees that, while Ted is still a mess, his love for the kid that they have to raise together supercedes any relationship awkwardness. She doesn't have to walk on eggshells around him anymore, scared that he can't handle it. He hasn't "moved on" but he also isn't completely unable to process anything.

• Hook 'Em 1

Interesting episode, very well done from a  personal growth standpoint as others have already commented on it with respect to Keely and Ted.  Rebecca who could have been so pissed by the loss showed empathy and stood up for Bex who usurped her when she could have said nothing.  And Jamie goes from being a bitch about 4am to ready to roll.

Roy and Beard undermined the Lasso Way and following the Star Wars theme "let the hate flow" in trying to defeat Nate and Rupert and it completely backfired.  My guess is next time they throw down the proverbial lightsaber. 

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

And she sees that, while Ted is still a mess, his love for the kid that they have to raise together supercedes any relationship awkwardness. She doesn't have to walk on eggshells around him anymore, scared that he can't handle it. He hasn't "moved on" but he also isn't completely unable to process anything.

Exactly. 

On 4/3/2023 at 10:48 AM, TrashMaster G said:

this has been bugging the shit outta me.  I thought maybe it was a scat off of "Bossa Nova" (Elvis) but the 2/4 & 4/4 are just slightly disparate enough even with the 27 bar beat.  Fucking hell.  I never knew this song but it reminds me of way too much shit before and after.  

11 hours ago, Js1 said:
  Hide contents

Richmond beats West Ham for the championship at the end of the season.  Rupert is exposed for cheating and Bex divorces him and he loses his club.  Ironic if Bex ends up owning the club a la Rebecca. 

Rebecca is now a championship owner.  Ted goes back to America to reconcile with Michelle and have his happy family back, along with winning a Premier League title.  Roy takes over as HC of AFC Richmond.  Beard stays in London with AFC Richmond and Randi, err... Jayne. 

Ted might move back to America but not to reconcile with his wife. The show writers are clearly into growth/therapy/etc and Ted will (and has already) accepted their romantic relationship was over (but he can still be pissed about her hiding the relationship with their couple’s counselor). A better Ted arc would be if he moves home to coach USMNT

• Hook 'Em 3

48 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Hot take. I don’t think we’re going to see a personal growth story for Rupert. He goes from being warned about cheating from Rebecca. Five seconds later he’s at the club with his female assistant.

He serves as the example to Nate of what he doesn't want to become.

Becks will serve divorce papers before the end of the season.  She and Rebecca will have a night of drunken Rupert-bashing together.  And then they will lez out together, along with Sassy.

Maybe not that last part, but I can hope.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 2

I can't see Ted reconciling with Michelle after their marriage counselor took her to pound town. If the writers had her start dating some random guy, then sure. But dating the person that was supposed to be helping them work through their problems seems like too much for a guy like Ted to forgive. Especially because she kept it a secret from him. 

Edited by irishtexan
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

They’ve gone to great lengths to show us that Nate still isn’t at all sure of himself except as a soccer tactician.  Still driving his old car until Rupert forced ridiculous change upon him there, still in his little apartment, presumably in Richmond. Still uncomfortable talking to the hostess, wanting his job to do the work for him there. 
I think he sees Rupert as the ultimate level of self confidence and is drawn to that, but it’s obviously a toxic level of it.  Palpatine. 
not sure of what to make of the spitting and the alter ego he can sometimes force himself into.  That seems to be a little deux ex machina they use when needed. 

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

They’ve gone to great lengths to show us that Nate still isn’t at all sure of himself except as a soccer tactician.  Still driving his old car until Rupert forced ridiculous change upon him there, still in his little apartment, presumably in Richmond. Still uncomfortable talking to the hostess, wanting his job to do the work for him there. 
I think he sees Rupert as the ultimate level of self confidence and is drawn to that, but it’s obviously a toxic level of it.  Palpatine. 
not sure of what to make of the spitting and the alter ego he can sometimes force himself into.  That seems to be a little deux ex machina they use when needed. 

Rupert is clued in to this as well, as he seems to be playing Nate like a fiddle. Especially with the psychological tricks of correcting him to call him Mr. Lastname at times and then other times saying , just call me Rupert.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

So which game was that loosely based on where a team got 3 reds?  I presume there is some basis here like there was for the Zava storyline and how they appear to be copying Leicester a bit as well.  

Heck it happened just the other day in an FA cup match - Fulham had a total meltdown and had 3 sent off (2 players and their manager) in a span of about 90 seconds. 

Needless to say they lost the game...

https://www.espn.com/soccer/report/_/gameId/666826