Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

11 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

Ted getting gut-punched is always hard to watch.

Crimm being integrated into the mix and falling into the orbit is fun, with his Julia Andrews take and then at the end with the ethical decision I'm guessing he will face (I have always assumed Crimm was gay himself, as it is)

I love a good sports montage so I'm glad we finally got one, but the best part of the episode was the music; Jesus Christ Superstar with Zava and the Leonard Cohen classic:

God I love that song and Leonard Cohen

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

Lol they used one of my secretly loved Italian nonsense pop hits…

Prisencolinensinainciusol

I used to break that out at parties to stump the ladies

I ran across this 2-3 years ago and thought it was fascinating. In our heads, we all have a soundtrack for how a language sounds even if we don't understand a word of it. That dude did a great job of replicating the cadence, consonant clusters, and vowel sounds of a particular English dialect. Genius really.

A propos the episode: The Jesus Christ Superstar theme matched with the back tatt was a nice touch.

Edited by bolverk
and by English, I mean southern US dialect, but you understood that
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Speedtrucker said:

Nice, couldn’t place where the scorpion kick came from from I remembered one like that when Zava hit it

Watching that replay (and thanks for the links for the reference for those of us who aren't soccer fans), the announcer on the scorpion kick just seemed dumbfounded and almost defeated. "Oh my gosh what was that."

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

While it is obviously Zlatan in character (and height)  is it me or does Zava with that man bun sort of look like a taller/skinnier Aaron Rodgers?

Ha, I said the exact same thing to my wife last night as we watched the latest episode. I said he looked like Jordan Rodgers with a huge nose. My wife said she thought he looked more like Aaron.

43 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Reading up about Zlatan, this outro was pretty funny about baseball:

On 13 November 2019, Ibrahimović announced he was to leave the LA Galaxy through his Twitter account, telling Galaxy fans "[Y]ou wanted Zlatan, I gave you Zlatan. You are welcome. The story continues...Now go back to watch baseball

Zlatan is perhaps my favorite footballer ever. Normally, I'd abhor an athlete who was this way but he's so absurd that it's hilarious. And the motherfucker almost always backs it up. 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 11:19 AM, HamsterHookah said:

Crimm being integrated into the mix and falling into the orbit is fun, with his Julia Andrews take and then at the end with the ethical decision I'm guessing he will face (I have always assumed Crimm was gay himself, as it is)

Last season, when Crimm spoke to Ted in the pub about his upcoming story about Ted having a panic attack and Nate was the source, they had Crimm walking out of the pub with a guy. Now two straight men could be at a bar together but TV shows usually don't portray a scene without a reason behind it. It could have easily been written that Crimm was there by himself or he was even looking for Ted. The writers made another choice.

I don't think Crimm will have an ethical decision during because his book is in the future but I assume he will somehow have a talk with Colin in some manner. Perhaps while interviewing Colin, Colin lies.

18 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

the song playing at the restaurant:

i also loved that his first two big goals were recreations of real goals, one by zlatan in his mls debut, and the other by olivier giroud:

Yup. Bet we see a recreation of this moment of brilliance at some point:

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

So Roy coaches Jaime up and he scored the biggest goal of the season after Z gets hurt/leaves/whatever?

Matchday 38, Zava left during winter window for West Ham, who Richmond just so happen to play, title on the line. 

Jamie Tartt do-do-dodododo Jamie Taaartt gets it done. 

Either that or we get a recreation of 2012. West Ham have won, Richmond are losing with Zava off injured, which makes the Hammers champions. West Ham are celebrating. The clock strikes 90:00. Then Sam levels.  Richmond need to find a winner. Then the Clock hits 93:20, and “Taaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrttttttttttt”

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 1

So Roy coaches Jaime up and he scored the biggest goal of the season after Z gets hurt/leaves/whatever?

Zava finds him when he gets open for the biggest goal in AFC Richmond history.

I am glad that Zava isn't a complete asshole (stealing Jamie's goal aside).
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, tchookem said:

Zava finds him when he gets open for the biggest goal in AFC Richmond history.

I am glad that Zava isn't a complete asshole (stealing Jamie's goal aside).

I think this is how its going to go down, Jamie is going to bust his ass to prove something and Zava is finally going to see it. Defense collapses on to Zava and boom he hits Jamie for the clincher. 

Don't love the Colin storyline. It's 2023 and it's Ted Lasso...we already know no one in that locker room is going to give a fuck. Hopefully they're setting up something a little deeper than the easy, inevitable [everyone hugs Colin in acceptance when he finally admits it] story arc. 

But this show deserves the benefit of doubt, so we'll see.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Don't love the Colin storyline. It's 2023 and it's Ted Lasso...we already know no one in that locker room is going to give a fuck. Hopefully they're setting up something a little deeper than the easy, inevitable [everyone hugs Colin in acceptance when he finally admits it] story arc. 

But this show deserves the benefit of doubt, so we'll see.

Was apparently supposed to be a season 2 storyline but they couldn’t find the right spot to put it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Was apparently supposed to be a season 2 storyline but they couldn’t find the right spot to put it. 

Gotcha. And, as soon as I pressed send, I thought about it for a minute and realized that there still aren't many (any?) openly gay men in the major professional sports, so some of the stigma obviously still exists. Having a journalist discover it makes quite a bit of sense now.

25 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Gotcha. And, as soon as I pressed send, I thought about it for a minute and realized that there still aren't many (any?) openly gay men in the major professional sports, so some of the stigma obviously still exists. Having a journalist discover it makes quite a bit of sense now.

And isn't football still pretty notoriously racist (which means probably homophobic as well)? I seem to remember viral headlines about black footballers being harassed strongly by fans pretty recently.

34 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

These things are never really about team or locker room dynamics- it’s more about being out publicly, and fans’ reactions. The examples of out players actively playing at the top levels of any sport are super rare

• Hook 'Em 1

I couldn't get enough of Dani mimicking Zava but in complete adoration.

Jamie was wrong to say that they shouldn't sign Zava but from what we know, there is nothing to say Richmond wouldn't be somewhat competitive after being promoted. Sure many promoted teams often fall back the next year but it's implied that Richmond was previously a stable Premium League team and they improved their team during the relegation. They even drew with Chelsea on the road on week 1.

Still obviously Zava was the best storyline to jump Richmond to the top. I still wonder if we will see them win the title or just fall short. Falling just short would still be a win the Lasso universe.

• Hook 'Em 1

And isn't football still pretty notoriously racist (which means probably homophobic as well)? I seem to remember viral headlines about black footballers being harassed strongly by fans pretty recently.

I don’t know. It’s soccer. In Europe. I pretty much assumed that like 50% of them were gay from the outset.
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

I read somewhere that there’s not one openly gay player in the EPL.

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Well, that's depressing. I take back whatever stupid point it was that I was trying to make. 

you don't have to take it back, it was a valid point. as people have said all along, this isn't really a show about soccer, so the whole closeted gay athlete type storyline that's been rehashed a thousand times doesn't really need to be done again in 2023, even without any openly gay soccer players in england. it just seems forced. nothing hateful about it, strictly a tv/writing criticism. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

this show isn't back because it never fucking left.

lots to unpack in that episode, indeed.

yes, now we're learning something about colin.  last season we learned a lot about sam.  and there was a mini-arc about isaac or whatever the new captain's name is, bruv.  i don't think they're forcing us into anything other than more specific stories for traditionally minor characters.  this show has been great at that.  i'm all for anything that gives us a bit less keeley and also i don't need nate in every episode, so thumbs up there.

the only part i found a bit strange was focusing on what was about to be another lasso panic attack but then went straight into a "things are great now because we're winning" montage that had to be what, 2-3 weeks?  then nothing more to add to the almost-attack? 

that's fine, but i don't need to see him shake and then get healed by zava.  or do i?

• Hook 'Em 1

I think it was to show that Ted is healing and that the work with Doctor Sharon is helping. He overcame the attack when previously the attack would have overcome him.

Agreed. I also had the thought that, after seeing him and the others at that White House press appearance, they are obviously aware of how they are showing his mental health. So, just like it is a feel good show all around, perhaps they are focused on showing how he is overcoming his anxiety attacks…which would be an added feel good element for viewers who also deal with anxiety attacks.

On 3/31/2023 at 11:02 AM, aggie08 said:

Isn’t there a journeyman defensive lineman with the LV Raiders who came out a couple of seasons back?

Pretty sure world football/soccer remains pretty racist and homophobic in many circles.

Also, look no further than the number of NHL players who would not participate in the league-wide LGBTQ+ activities about a month or two ago.

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Isn’t there a journeyman defensive lineman with the LV Raiders who came out a couple of seasons back?

Pretty sure world football/soccer remains pretty racist and homophobic in many circles.

Also, look no further than the number of NHL players who would not participate in the league-wide LGBTQ+ activities about a month or two ago.

Carl Nassib…he’s with Tampa Bay currently.

12 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office

Yes. 

Sure season 1 saw them get relegated.

But Season 2 saw them catch fire. After a 4-4-14, they ran off something like a 19-2-3 record to end of the season and get promoted.

I know they are the island of misfit toys, but they are doing something right.