Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

The head coach doesn't know a thing about soccer. Neither do I, but I would think that would be an issue. In a goofball Major League style comedy that can be overlooked, but when the show gets more serious it becomes really stupid.

"Is it possible we're losing games due to the head coach??". Yeah, maybe. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/12/2023 at 8:10 AM, Beau Vine said:

The writers have just abandoned all pretense of subtlety in the story.  It's like watching a high school play after the kids have studied a unit on foreshadowing.  

This is shite.

I hadn't read this thread in a while because I wasn't caught up on the current season. Also it's been awhile since I watched S1 or 2, but I was interested to see if others thought this season was tired, stale and formulaic. I agree with the commenter above who said all the shtick feels like it was scripted by AI. I look past all the huge plot holes that they've taken dramatic license with because it is only a comedy but Keely not even knowing the name of the supposed financier who was funding her business, let alone supposedly not having met her before she randomly showed up, required some patience. As does watching a coaching staff that never does any actual coaching. If I hadn't watched 1 & 2 already or if my wife, who sometimes likes mindless scripted tv shows, didn't enjoy it, I'd have exited this season by now.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Chopper said:

As does watching a coaching staff that never does any actual coaching.

From what I gather, the only thing relevant to coaching soccer is deciding how to allocate your 3 position groups to add up to 10.

Which checks out because the football forum has taught me that the most important thing that a defensive coordinator can do is choose the "correct" combination of two numbers that he likes best.

• Drool 1

7 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

From what I gather, the only thing relevant to coaching soccer is deciding how to allocate your 3 position groups to add up to 10.

And then explaining to the head coach what that means, as well as what that white ball is and what they want to do with it. 

• Haha 1

On 4/12/2023 at 9:10 AM, Beau Vine said:

The writers have just abandoned all pretense of subtlety in the story.  It's like watching a high school play after the kids have studied a unit on foreshadowing.  

This is shite.

here, here..

i mean.. when Ted was giving his speech, talking about the players just need to be true to themselves, i was said to myself.. get ready for the quick shot of the closeted gay player (who has been so badly developed, i cant even tell you his name).

and i think there has been more hot chick lesbo action after a couple glasses of wine on a couch depicted on screen than has actually occurred in real life.. pretty played.

3 minutes ago, yoladu said:

and i think there has been more hot chick lesbo action after a couple glasses of wine on a couch depicted on screen than has actually occurred in real life.. pretty played.

Some things we're not going to complain about. Do you understand. 

• Hook 'Em 6

22 minutes ago, yoladu said:

here, here..

i mean.. when Ted was giving his speech, talking about the players just need to be true to themselves, i was said to myself.. get ready for the quick shot of the closeted gay player (who has been so badly developed, i cant even tell you his name).

Colin

And they telegraphed Keeley being a little bi/curious in like season 1 when Rebecca and her were hanging out at the hotel. 

Most TV shows and especially those that are mainly focused on relationships as this one is in a soccer wrapper are usually like most relationships themselves.  Always "best" at the beginning when they are new and fresh.  Some of you guys need to move from passionate love to companionate love with Ted and his gang.

• Haha 2

Most TV shows and especially those that are mainly focused on relationships as this one is in a soccer wrapper are usually like most relationships themselves.  Always "best" at the beginning when they are new and fresh.  Some of you guys need to move from passionate love to companionate love with Ted and his gang.

…or get some of that spice/spark back with a threesome with Keely and Jack.
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

Staying in and playing pillow fight at the hotel was gayer than Colin and Trent's night.

It was a call back to the Make Rebecca Great again episode.  Ted asked the team which they wanted to do, movie night or pillow fight.  They chose movie night and watched Iron Giant, but Ted said something along the lines of "okay, but if you choose pillow fight we'll never watch a movie again".  It was actually perfect.

Edited by Hate
  • Hook 'Em 1

OH MY GOD, EPL CLUBS DON'T PLAY FUCKING FRIENDLIES IN THE MIDDLE OF THEIR SEASON

This show about an American college football coach from a school that doesn't even have a football team who took the gaffer role at an EPL side because its owner wanted to spite her ex-husband by having him run it into the ground and with no football acumen has coached them down into relegation and then immediately back up into the toughest soccer league in the world HAS COMPLETELY LOST THE PLOT!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2