Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

A few notes:

• I think the groundswell of the fans showing up to the practice is going to be important and the 4th bullet point. The 4th bullet point is going to be "community" or something like that and Ted planted the seed with his democratization of the team in the best line of the season, "It's their team, we are just borrowing it for a bit". Eventually the practices are going to be overrun with fans and it will be a festival like event and, though they won't have won on the field, they will have won the hearts of the locals and Mae's pub will be full of people despite the mediocrity, and Ted will have been the American White Savior teaching them this lesson before leaving back to America

Is this a Make Richmond Great Again or a Build Back Better story?
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

Is this a Make Richmond Great Again or a Build Back Better story?

It’s a White Savior Trope but replace white with American, as Ted will explain what’s wrong with their incumbent football culture which of course Rupert embodies in the epic showdown at the end when Rupert wins on the pitch, but loses in what is really meaningful in life (gag)

Edited by HamsterHookah

14 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Writing a series that is based on positive story lines is much more difficult that the normal TV structure of one crisis/problem leads to the next episode. Rinse and repeat. 

That's the very problem. They weren't concentrating only on positive storylines prior to this season. There's nothing really even pending or requiring resolution other than the success of the team which was not really what made the show so magical great. There used to be conflict and some things to worry about. All that has been resolved or dropped with nothing new to replace it. 

Rebecca's campaign against Rupert is over. Rupert barely exists in the show anymore.

The tension between Jamie and Roy complicated by Keely. Over. 

The players are all sentimental saps now although I think the Dutchman is still  quite fun. His "wow" after Roy flays the reporter in Amsterdam is fantastic.

Lasso's panic attacks. Cured.

Nathan's razor sharp resentment. Faded into sweetness. Why make it instant?

Now we get lessons about homosexuality being okay (no shit), facile love stories, and not much else. Sorry, but I thought the penis string bit was just stupid.

It's frustrating to watch. Now I've got a puppy to find and kick.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, locodos said:

I liked the little touches.   Roy's idea about stringing 4 dongs to Jammie's (with Jammie being the man in the middle) was the same as Jammie's idea on the board to play through him not to him.  Same diagram, no strings

Excellent catch. 

• Hook 'Em 1

That's the very problem. They weren't concentrating only on positive storylines prior to this season. There's nothing really even pending or requiring resolution other than the success of the team which was not really what made the show so magical great. There used to be conflict and some things to worry about. All that has been resolved or dropped with nothing new to replace it. 
Rebecca's campaign against Rupert is over. Rupert barely exists in the show anymore.
The players are all sentimental saps now although I think the Dutchman is still  quite fun. His "wow" after Roy flays the reporter in Amsterdam is fantastic.
Now we get lessons about homosexuality being okay (no shit), facile love stories, and not much else. Sorry, but I thought the penis string bit was just stupid.

Stop watching. Fixed.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

It's almost as if Ted has changed the people around him and grown himself....man you got to hate it when that happens.  

• Hook 'Em 4

I don't recall saying anything needed to be fixed. Thanks for the dull-minded solution, though.

I guess I’m just not one to bitch about a show for which I had no input not going in the direction I want it to go. I’ve enjoyed the show tremendously and I’m really glad that I can watch each week without any expectations…just sit back and laugh and enjoy.

9 minutes ago, Hate said:

I guess I’m just not one to bitch about a show for which I had no input not going in the direction I want it to go. I’ve enjoyed the show tremendously and I’m really glad that I can watch each week without any expectations…just sit back and laugh and enjoy.

Like with anything else creative, different audiences consume for different reasons and with different expectations and different ways to bring pleasure or joy.

You are luck you are so low brow. Just kidding by the way, to each their own.

I would just comment that the lack of buzz and conversation around S2 and S3 is relevant and an indication that most people have moved on from it being a really interesting and novel concept with interesting things to say, to another beautifully shot and polished rom-com/sitcom that doesn't challenge or excite anyone, in any camp.

I don't think anyone but the easily entertained find this to be a great result after S1.

But how many shows actually go throughout their run at a very high level? Not many. And those shows we deem as classics.

Edited by HamsterHookah
  • Hook 'Em 1

On the Nate front. I think people missed an important thing. Before he asks the chick out we got to see him have the best family experience he has had on screen in 2.5 seasons. His dad leaves to actually do something fairly fatherly in taking the little girls for ice cream. Then his mom and his sister show real concern for his personal life that is all paid off when she reveals the curmudgeonly father Nate always sees does or at least at one point did have a soft side.

Nate ultimately drew his courage from that whole experience as opposed to spitting on the mirror.

• Hook 'Em 9

11 minutes ago, Hate said:

If the standard is you can't criticize that to which you had no input, you must blissfully enjoy everything you watch. I salute you.

Some of us like discussing things we watch on the movie and TV board and don't feel bothered or threatened by differing opinions. Feel free to put me on ignore. Problem fixed.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I don't recall saying anything needed to be fixed. Thanks for the dull-minded solution, though.

You said it was frustrating to watch.   I felt the same way about The Walking Dead, so I stopped.  Only wish I had quit earlier.  

I think the issue with Nate is that Nate found acceptance and rewards for being an asshole and the crowd that accepted him, he didn't really care about him (Rupert/Model/Reporters), and while he likes the fan interactions (restaurant owner), it is all ultimately against his nature to be an ass and to be at the center of attention.  He is discovering that his success isn't based on his assholeness (or surliness har har) but rather just him being himself.   He is growing up.  His being an asshole was tantamount to being a rebellious teenager rejecting his parents (Ted, his real family, Richmond).  Or that is a complete load of bullshit, and I just still think it is funny.  

• Like 1

If the standard is you can't criticize that to which you had no input, you must blissfully enjoy everything you watch. I salute you.
Some of us like discussing things we watch on the movie and TV board and don't feel bothered or threatened by differing opinions. Feel free to put me on ignore. Problem fixed.

Yeah, I guess I just don’t watch shows I don’t enjoy. Clearly there are several people on this thread that are no longer enjoying watching the show. So why put yourselves through it?

The Mandalorian is an example for me. I haven’t made it through this last season because I haven’t been enjoying it much…so I stopped watching it.

And I don’t feel threatened by your opinion of the show. I don’t mind discussing things about the show, but the constant comparison to Season 1 gets old.

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

The Mandalorian is an example for me. I haven’t made it through this last season because I haven’t been enjoying it much…so I stopped watching it.

The Mandalorian Grogu GIF - The mandalorian Grogu No ...

You're missing out on some really entertaining bits.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 2

Now I’m wondering if the zava stuff was just an explanation as to why they were still in a position to be near enough to the top of the table when the total football pays off and they go on a late season run to win the league/ make euro/ whatever the actual prize is when they beat west ham at the end. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't think so.   I didn't expect them to come out after halftime against Arsenal and score 4 to win but they only scored once.   

Yeah, but it didn’t click until about the 80 minute mark. That’s pretty late in the game. I’ll bet they end up going on a late season run in the next few episodes.

1 hour ago, Hate said:

Yeah, but it didn’t click until about the 80 minute mark. That’s pretty late in the game. I’ll bet they end up going on a late season run in the next few episodes.

Yep. They all have each other's backs and trust in one another. It was pretty telegraphed. 

6 hours ago, Hate said:

you're just one to bitch about other viewers of the show not feeling exactly the same way about the show as you do. 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

you're just one to bitch about other viewers of the show not feeling exactly the same way about the show as you do. 

You literally just went on a diatribe about people who didn’t share the same  ~*~*magical~*~* experience as you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

You literally just went on a diatribe about people who didn’t share the same  ~*~*magical~*~* experience as you.

a diatribe? lol. one paragraph about how S1 was great = a diatribe? lol okie dokie then.

the thread police bullshit that's permeated this thread since S2 comes 100% from people who blindingly love everything about the show and who for some reason cannot handle anyone else having a differing opinion. it's beyond stupid, and all it ever accomplishes is more arguing and fighting. people are allowed to not have differing opinions. get over it. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Like 2

I don’t mind the differing opinions at all. I hate the constant “lost the magic” talk about the first season. Of course it will never be as good as the first season, but I still enjoy the hell out of it. It’s still the best show on “tv”.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

a diatribe? lol. one paragraph about how S1 was great = a diatribe? lol okie dokie then.

the thread police bullshit that's permeated this thread since S2 comes 100% from people who blindingly love everything about the show and who for some reason cannot handle anyone else having a differing opinion. it's beyond stupid, and all it ever accomplishes is more arguing and fighting. people are allowed to not have differing opinions. get over it. 

How your mom stands living with you is one of life's great mysteries.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

D7FF7072-E016-4F84-9068-7B9D494235B0.gif

14 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Oh FFS Derka.  You are entitled to your opinion, your opinions sometimes simply suck.  They're emotional, often not well supported in any facts or logical reasoning and even when they are the moment you get challenged by somebody with a different opinion it becomes "this board is babyshit soft" and "why is everybody out to get me". You care more about people disagreeing with you than all the fucking lawyers here.  I've been saying this for years so I will say it again.  You're a good dude, you've been a stalwart here but still it's 2023 and you need to grow the fuck up.  

Edited by Surly Bevo

I’ll say this about season 1- it was for sure a breath of fresh air when it came out, partly because of when it came out. 
but I think that much like movie franchises, the first one is the only one where the main characters are new and we get to discover them.  

im sure many of us were disbelieving of Ted and his relentless positivity and were waiting for the reveal that it was all an act. Instead we got the reveal that it is a coping mechanism, an endearing and humanizing revelation.  That’s not something you can replicate in subsequent seasons. 

there’s also the idea, similar to great first albums from bands, that they had a long time to develop an interesting idea but then there’s a deadline on the next one and deadlines are creatively stifling.  

all that to say I guess that it’s no surprise that the first season is seen as the best and most original/least formulaic. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’ll say this about season 1- it was for sure a breath of fresh air when it came out, partly because of when it came out. 
but I think that much like movie franchises, the first one is the only one where the main characters are new and we get to discover them.  

im sure many of us were disbelieving of Ted and his relentless positivity and were waiting for the reveal that it was all an act. Instead we got the reveal that it is a coping mechanism, an endearing and humanizing revelation.  That’s not something you can replicate in subsequent seasons. 

there’s also the idea, similar to great first albums from bands, that they had a long time to develop an interesting idea but then there’s a deadline on the next one and deadlines are creatively stifling.  

all that to say I guess that it’s no surprise that the first season is seen as the best and most original/least formulaic. 

That’s pretty much the long and the short of it. And some people just want to sit back with a beer after a long day and turn their minds off and be entertained, and that’s fine too and entertainment can be that for some, but others don’t have the idleness and time and don’t want to waste any on average art, and that’s fine too.

I’m more of a sunk cost fallacy guy so I’m gonna watch this baby until the end— there are 5 episodes left and there have been more episodes in S3 that were better than all of S2, so they’ve earned my pot-commitment even if it’s a shadow of S1.

44 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Oh FFS Derka.  You are entitled to your opinion, your opinions sometimes simply suck.  They're emotional, often not well supported in any facts or logical reasoning and even when they are the moment you get challenged by somebody with a different opinion it becomes "this board is babyshit soft" and "why is everybody out to get me". You care more about people disagreeing with you than all the fucking lawyers here.  I've been saying this for years so I will say it again.  You're a good dude, you've been a stalwart here but still it's 2023 and you need to grow the fuck up.  

and up the dosage

21 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

That’s pretty much the long and the short of it. And some people just want to sit back with a beer after a long day and turn their minds off and be entertained, and that’s fine too and entertainment can be that for some, but others don’t have the idleness and time and don’t want to waste any on average art, and that’s fine too.

I’m more of a sunk cost fallacy guy so I’m gonna watch this baby until the end— there are 5 episodes left and there have been more episodes in S3 that were better than all of S2, so they’ve earned my pot-commitment even if it’s a shadow of S1.

Yet they have time to post about it?

I've found some really average people can be elitist gatekeepers...  it's hilarious

6 minutes ago, locodos said:

I've found some really average people can be elitist gatekeepers...  it's hilarious

I don't doubt it, i don't doubt it.

We should all remember, De gustibus non est disputandum.

It's one thing to be critical and critique against your own framework and values, but that's really where it should stop when it comes to creative arts. We shouldn't be denigrating each other or calling each other names because we enjoy (or enjoy less or don't enjoy at all) a particular thing. 

26 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

It's one thing to be critical and critique against your own framework and values, but that's really where it should stop when it comes to creative arts. We shouldn't be denigrating each other or calling each other names because we enjoy (or enjoy less or don't enjoy at all) a particular thing. 

Are you new here?

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Pretty much this.

Great freshman season
Sophomore slump
Having a good year as a junior before its gone 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

3 hours ago, locodos said:

He was just on another thread calling Dude Perfect "Awesome." 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

gooutsidenerd.gif

• Haha 3