Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

You don’t have to like it or how it is being portrayed, but it would be pretty nonsensical if a show started with one of its primary premises being that its hero is taking on this quest based on his relationship issues and then failed to resolve what set the whole journey in motion.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, The Dog said:

The premise of this article is flawed, Sudeikis and Wilde were never married .

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

LOL at those of you talking about dropping Apple+ after Lasso wraps. You’re missing some really good TV if you do.

Reading this thread, people are missing some good TV while watching Ted Lasso. 

LOL at those of you talking about dropping Apple+ after Lasso wraps. You’re missing some really good TV if you do.

Shut up man. The last thing we need is for Derka to appear in other threads.

There is nothing else good on Apple+ and you should definitely cancel because it’s very overpriced at $6.99/month.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/27/2023 at 6:43 AM, HamsterHookah said:

I too expected a spit in the mirror (which always grossed me out btw) and when he didn't, I think we were supposed to feel that Nate has overcome that gross period of insecurity that drove him to ugliness, and that he's growing and softening, etc.

He's getting laid for the first time in his life.  That's pretty obvious without spit.

18 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

TRIGGER WARNING: this article talks about how season 1 was magical and how it's fallen off since then. 

18 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

IMG_1227.jpeg

17 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

wait, jason sudeikis laid down behind his ex's car so she couldn't leave where she was? and then he served her custody papers while she was on stage promoting her movie? uh, that's very un-Ted Lasso like.

17 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

IMG_1230.jpeg

IMG_0187.gif

• Haha 1

On 5/2/2023 at 3:39 PM, Go Pokes said:

I decided I no longer like Stranger Things after season 2.  You know what I didn't do?  Post multiple times in the Stranger Things thread about how much I didn't like it anymore.  I just quit watching it and quit visiting the ST thread.  I didn't realize that was such a novel concept. 

There's a Charlie Strong joke somewhere in here, but I can't liberate it.

21 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

that scene might have been the least realistic thing this show has ever done lol. buncha rich and famous EPL players having an impromptu heartfelt meeting about treating all women, especially their exes, with the utmost respect at all times. great example of how the show has become more about beating you over the head with the show writers' morality than it has about making you laugh or telling well thought out, completed stories. 

That scene smelled like "Keeley Hazell, writer." 

• Haha 1

Well that scene resonated with me.  I’ve been thinking about what I would do if I became a young, handsome, famous person and beautiful women started sending me explicit videos.  How would I go about securing these videos?  If I get hacked and my trove of videos get posted online, am I the one in this chain of events who is morally responsible?  I think that’s a relevant ethical dilemma for most of us to consider.  

Well that scene resonated with me.  I’ve been thinking about what I would do if I became a young, handsome, famous person and beautiful women started sending me explicit videos.  How would I go about securing these videos?  If I get hacked and my trove of videos get posted online, am I the one in this chain of events who is morally responsible?  I think that’s a relevant ethical dilemma for most of us to consider.  

Just let AI generate all your dick pics from now on.

On 5/3/2023 at 5:14 PM, sidis said:

i haven't watched it yet but regarding the negative feedback on this page, i did see on my feed that the episode was partly written by my favorite all time british woman keeley hazell.  i did not know my favorite all time british woman was a writer.

i'll just leave that there.

You know shes in the show right?

On 5/5/2023 at 2:11 PM, shadow_operative said:

that scene might have been the least realistic thing this show has ever done lol. buncha rich and famous EPL players having an impromptu heartfelt meeting about treating all women, especially their exes, with the utmost respect at all times. great example of how the show has become more about beating you over the head with the show writers' morality than it has about making you laugh or telling well thought out, completed stories. 

Less realistic than an American division 2 college football coach becoming a professional soccer coach in england having success and his team being promoted to the premier league and winning?

3 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Less realistic than an American division 2 college football coach becoming a professional soccer coach in england having success and his team being promoted to the premier league and winning?

Jason Sudeikis Yes GIF by Apple TV+

5 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

with zero irony, yes. ted lasso becoming an epl coach is more realistic than an entire locker room full of the top 1% of ass-getters turning into zealous feminists out of nowhere. man that episode was just one giant virtue signal. lol

• Drool 1

On 5/3/2023 at 7:14 AM, Frank The Tank said:

I thought it was odd how much they sexualized Jack and Keeley, highlighting basically the only thing they like to do together is sex stuff, while the theme of the show was that we shouldn’t be sexualizing women so much. 

I think that's an example of lazy writing that so often occurs because writing a really fine love scene with dialogue and nuance is hard. New couple, look how hot they are for each other! Only a single dimension unless the relationship really is only about sex. I don't think that's what they intend for Keely and Jack.

Two scenes that should redone in development of any movie or episode:

1. People meet. Have an attraction. Smash cut to the pair tearing off their clothes in mad passion. So tired.

2. Couple is together. One bounds into the living room with a picnic basket.

"Ready to go to the park?"

Two shakes the head negatively.

"I thought you wanted to "play and frolic' in the park and enjoy the first spring-like day in months. I made us lunch and everything."

Two rises languorously from the couch and steps up to One. Two plays with a button on One's shirt. At last, Two speaks:

"I didn't say anything about not wanting to play and frolic. I just don't think we need the park."

One giggles and drops the basket. Two leads One to the bedroom door."

Exhausted concept. Most don't even rise to the version I just cooked up from boredom with that kind of scene.

A movie from my younger days, Starting Over with Burt Reynolds, Candice Bergen (sigh), and Jill Clayburgh, is rife with clever touches to new relationships. In one scene, Reynolds is slowly touching a woman their first time to prepare for success. She moans. Reynolds steps back a little to say something like, "Don't get too excited, I'm not that good." I love that movie even though it may be a little too tied to the time it was made. It's funny.

To those who only want to hear praise and no criticism or discussion of a film or movie, I sincerely do not apologize.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

with zero irony, yes. ted lasso becoming an epl coach is more realistic than an entire locker room full of the top 1% of ass-getters turning into zealous feminists out of nowhere. man that episode was just one giant virtue signal. lol

I actually at first thought that scene was a gag like when they worked Iverson's "practice" speech into a scene and was racking my brain trying to figure out what they were riffing on, and then it just kept going on endlessly.  

On 5/3/2023 at 9:39 PM, shadow_operative said:

the nate/hostess story line is by the far the most bizarre and least believable storyline of this season. not only is it a played out trope that's been done a million times, but this iteration of it is just incompetently lazy writing. nate is a small, insecure, unattractive man who looks twice his actual age, and who has less than zero confidence, much less game. the hostess naturally sees him as a joke and is completely uninterested in him, until one day she sees him have a bad date, and the next day she's waking up in bed with him, just completely smitten by him, with zero reason given for this change whatsoever. it's impossible to believe in or care about.

speaking of change, S1 of this show is the most universally well received and beloved season of TV that i've ever witnessed. in that light, the show's decision to change so many of its main characters is just baffling.

•Nate has gone from lovable upstart to unfounded heel turn right back to being someone who is supposed to be a sympathetic character, because reasons 

•Jamie has gone from your typical self absorbed, superstar soccer player who only cares about himself to some sort of self aware, thoughtful, essentially perfect person

•Roy has seen his lines go way down despite the episodes doubling in length, and he too has gone from this finished product of a man to this wonderful, thoughtful, more caring/positive person, because reasons 

•Rupert has gone from the main antagonist (aside from rebecca, who is now also bff's with everyone and super happy and supportive and different from he S1 chatacter) to someone who essentially isn't even on the show anymore

•hell, even the three perpetually angry soccer hooligan dudes from the bar are now just full of positivity and belief

never seen a show be so overwhelmingly popular only to fundamentally change most of its main characters, sometimes multiple times. and the only reason for this constant change seems to be "our characters all need to be great, warm, loving people." super disappointing after the magic of season one. 

You're an idiot, please top watching the show or in the very least stop posting your stupid thoughts about it

• Hook 'Em 1

What blows me away reading so many of the critiques of the show is that they hit you in the face with the give away about 2 episodes ago like the kid from 6th Sense saying "I see dead people."

People in the orbit of Ted Lasso can't help but become infected with something that makes them better people. Rebecca, Nate, Roy, Keely, Jamie, the whole team, etc. It's how he's been successful. It's not huge, change from one day to the next, but slowly over a long time. And Trent gave it all away just a few weeks back:

Ted, it’s going to work. Total Football. And I’ll tell you why: The Lasso Way. You haven’t switched tactics in a week. You’ve done this over three seasons by slowly but surely building a club-wide culture of trust and support through thousands of imperceptible moments all leading to their inevitable conclusion. Total Football. It’s gonna work. Doesn’t even matter what number four is. 

This is a soccer show in that soccer is used to move the story along, But you are not watching a soccer show.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

What blows me away reading so many of the critiques of the show is that they hit you in the face with the give away about 2 episodes ago like the kid from 6th Sense saying "I see dead people."

People in the orbit of Ted Lasso can't help but become infected with something that makes them better people. Rebecca, Nate, Roy, Keely, Jamie, the whole team, etc. It's how he's been successful. It's not huge, change from one day to the next, but slowly over a long time. And Trent gave it all away just a few weeks back:

you post this as if you aren't making my point: S1 was the most universally well received show that's ever existed, and in S1 Ted was the only character who acted like Ted. that's what was fun about it. there's nothing fun or interesting about a show where everyone just lives and supports one another and there's really no conflict or even consistent storylines. it's just become a show about how everyone in Ted Lasso's orbit goes from a finished product of a flawed/angry/spiteful/interesting human being into someone who loves everyone around them and is kind and smiling and thoughtful 24/7. that show would have been canceled after S1.

20 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

you post this as if you aren't making my point: S1 was the most universally well received show that's ever existed, and in S1 Ted was the only character who acted like Ted. that's what was fun about it. there's nothing fun or interesting about a show where everyone just lives and supports one another and there's really no conflict or even consistent storylines. it's just become a show about how everyone in Ted Lasso's orbit goes from a finished product of a flawed/angry/spiteful/interesting human being into someone who loves everyone around them and is kind and smiling and thoughtful 24/7. that show would have been canceled after S1.

Maybe stick to something more your speed The Big Bang Theory had the same great characters from beginning to end and it even tells you when the jokes are funny.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/4/2023 at 9:53 AM, HamsterHookah said:

I think one of the problems, as others have hit on, is the longer run time. This episode was an hour long dang near. At the 25 minute mark I remember looking how much time had passed because the episode was still stuck in first gear. Worse than first gear. The first 25 minutes could have been completely cut.

No.  The more TL the better. At some point the wrong messenger’s criticism means nothing and that is the case here. And I’m not talking about you. 

On 5/4/2023 at 9:02 PM, shadow_operative said:

he's been one of the most famous people in the entire country since he went from anonymous kit man at richmond to manager of west ham in one year. she knows who he is, and his money and fame are factually not the reasons she is with him. that's a fact. the writers of the show would be the first to tell you that. she 100% knew who he was and had zero interest in him before his bad date, and then shortly after his bad date she finds herself waking up next to him in bed and looking at him adoringly like he's the love of her life. his money, job title, and fame had nothing to do with her change of heart. again, these are facts which are not up for dispute. i swear y'all are arguing just to argue.

Your recollection of the show is terrible. 

On 5/4/2023 at 9:55 PM, shadow_operative said:

how many people do you think will dump apple tv as soon as TL ends? i know i will. i have to imagine scores of other people will as well.

Wish you’d dump it now. You are insane:

On 5/4/2023 at 10:03 PM, shadow_operative said:

you knew this post was coming, replete with the horde of pos reps from the usual suspects, but in all seriousness, you don't actually believe that, do you? that i argue just to argue? say what you want about me, but i always vehemently believe in whatever it is i'm arguing for/against.

beyond this, you guys have me- you have your "derka", and your strongly embedded feelings about him (me). dozens and dozens of people on this site have made up their minds about me, and will argue with anything i say on principal/reflex alone. i don't do that. i simply post whatever it is that i believe in, and i respond to people who respond to/address me. nothing more.

after all, i am FAR from alone in my criticisms of this show, and yet none of the other people who are saying the exact same things as me have half of this thread fixated on them. funny how that always works out. so yeah. pretty hard to argue that i'm the guy who just argues gratuitously in this situation here

14 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

How many times are you going to make the same post?

15 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

People in the orbit of Ted Lasso can't help but become infected with something that makes them better people. Rebecca, Nate, Roy, Keely, Jamie, the whole team, etc. It's how he's been successful. It's not huge, change from one day to the next, but slowly over a long time.

Yeah, this idea has been what the show was about since the very beginning. It’s literalized in the opening credits for fucks sake. Ted Lasso (the show) is a lot of things, but subtle has never been one of them. 

That said, the balance has been off for a while now. I don’t think season one is quite the magical diamond of a tv season that Derka does, but it was much more effective than the last two seasons IMO. 

6 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

Yeah, this idea has been what the show was about since the very beginning. It’s literalized in the opening credits for fucks sake. Ted Lasso (the show) is a lot of things, but subtle has never been one of them. 

That said, the balance has been off for a while now. I don’t think season one is quite the magical diamond of a tv season that Derka does, but it was much more effective than the last two seasons IMO. 

Season one was lightning in a bottle. Perfect show at the perfect time. Are the following seasons horrible? No, but they were never going to recreate the magic of season one. Season one was timed perfectly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

“It’s a big press conference”
”That’s what the woman from the American office said”
So Ted is planning on coaching USMNT or the Kansas City MLS team?

lol I’m pretty sure he was making a “that’s what she said” joke and referring to the American version of “The Office”.

Boo Keeley for being upset over Jack. Girl, she slut shamed you and was too ashamed of you to take you to that horse party and to acknowledge you to her friend at mini golf.

And all those texts????? Get some self respect!

I’m never going to like Nate again and they can’t make me.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1