Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

the rebecca/amsterdam story is so strange given the tone/theme of so many of these recent episodes. in this story arc rebecca:

•is on her phone and somehow unaware that she's in everyone's way on the bike path 

•meets a strange man from a foreign country wh she knows nothing about and joins him in his aquatic mobile home for an evening of drinking and...

•gets so black out drunk that she has no recollection of whether or not she fucked this complete stranger river rat 

and yet we as viewers are supposed to view this as some sort of happy, beautiful love story for rebecca. the writers can't get their story straight. they had an episode where it was of paramount importance that all men respect women and their privacy by deleting photos of former loved ones off of their phones, only to glorify jack, a woman, ogling a famous man's dick from his own leaked photos. similarly we somehow were supposed to celebrate rebecca being a loose, drunken whore behaving dangerously, which really goes against so much of what this show is trying to promote. if you're going to go so hard on the social commentary you probably shouldn't blatantly contradict yourself like that. 

It is entirely in character for Rebecca. Her romantic life has always been all over the place. She hired Ted just to piss off her ex-husband. 

A woman being sexually active does not make her a “loose, drunken whore”, and thus is not incongruent with treating women with respect, especially in regards to previously shared explicitly photos. In addition, this show has shown adults engaging in non serious sexual relationships since season 1, including the title character with Rebecca’s best friend Sassy. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 5/14/2023 at 4:28 PM, shadow_operative said:

as i keep repeating, i am completely blown away and just stunned at the collective lack of self awareness. it's truly dumbfounding.

image.gif.e2ca427ffff661576079b8e09f4109f4.gif

•gets so black out drunk that she has no recollection of whether or not she fucked this complete stranger river rat 
and yet we as viewers are supposed to view this as some sort of happy, beautiful love story for rebecca. the writers can't get their story straight. they had an episode where it was of paramount importance that all men respect women and their privacy by deleting photos of former loved ones off of their phones, only to glorify jack, a woman, ogling a famous man's dick from his own leaked photos. similarly we somehow were supposed to celebrate rebecca being a loose, drunken whore behaving dangerously

Just so we’re clear, you think a woman getting drunk makes her a whore?

"The white-as-snow head coaching staff for Richmond, and the brown skin of the evil opposition Coach with his third world-heritage are cheap ploys to provide cover to Ted Lasso writers to secretly infect their gullible viewers with an extremist woke agenda straight from Hell."

• Hook 'Em 1

been meaning to say this for weeks but the van damme joke was never funny and it’s crazy they’ve tried to make fetch happen all season. 

the national teams and the okufu league should’ve been season-long plotlines. tough to set that all up and knock it all down in one episode.  the rebecca speech would’ve landed better with half a season build-up. 

they also should’ve had jack pull funding right after the breakup and then waited to have rebecca save the day at the 11th hour.  her sending that vague text was nonsense.

the ambiguity of nate resigning + inappropriate behavior + rupert’s asst leaving was also silly.  

ambitious episode.  a lot going on. it’s like this show is trying to win a bet that it’s episodic when it’s clearly serialized. a lot of time wasted this season on lesser storylines than these, yet here we are shoving everything into an hour. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Much better episode!

But -

Having Nate resign and the drama that apparently led up to it - some kind of sexual misconduct situation involving his assistant - happens off screen??!!!

And Roy and Keeley reuniting off screen??

Very frustrating and emblematic of my problems with this season.

Also, Rebecca pulling out the green matchbook and it’s entangled with one of Ted’s army men?

I hope that doesn’t mean Tedbecca is end game.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m still a fan but they’re definitely trying to squeeze too much into this season and therefore watering everything down. They’ve even portrayed Rupert as the evil Emperor this season, and he didn’t come across as half bad in this episode.

Maybe they will circle back to us learning more about Nate quitting because hopefully he didn’t just quit because he inferred that his boss thought he could do better than his girlfriend.

it’s the rare exception when a popular show can end their series well. Disappointingly Ted Lasso doesn’t look to be an exception.

the one bright spot was the return of Akufo. Sam Richardson only hits comedic home runs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

the one bright spot was the return of Akufo. Sam Richardson only hits comedic home runs. 

Sam Ettleman, party of 5. 

It also seemed like someone remembered that they had completely forgotten this character who killed every scene she was in as Roy's niece, and hey, maybe it would be good to work her into a couple of scenes again.  Hopefully this person also remembered that going forward Trent Crimm can also be used for things other than shaking his head and rolling his eyes about other people's comments.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Roy sister is hella fit. Wow 

also the whole tie-dye shirt bit - i mean yeah, it's not normal for roy's consistent wardrobe (or for a football coach) but it was well made and plenty of people like tie-dye shit.  if it was a super fucked up attempt at tie-dye, like something that would actually come from a 3rd grader then it probably would've worked better.  didn't seem like it would get the crazy attention it got, and once you say, "it was a gift from my niece" it gets cute and nobody would care.

a tuxedo t-shirt on the other hand...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

also the whole tie-dye shirt bit - i mean yeah, it's not normal for roy's consistent wardrobe (or for a football coach) but it was well made and plenty of people like tie-dye shit.  if it was a super fucked up attempt at tie-dye, like something that would actually come from a 3rd grader then it probably would've worked better.  didn't seem like it would get the crazy attention it got, and once you say, "it was a gift from my niece" it gets cute and nobody would care.

a tuxedo t-shirt on the other hand...

I've always thought it was weird how scared of him everyone is. He's like 160 pounds, short and waddles. I have to remember it takes active suspension of belief to remember he's supposed to be this extreme Billy bad ass.

they filmed, edited, and scored this episode as if it were the most powerful and important piece of film ever made. but then none of it was actually about Ted Lasso, or even AFC Richmond, aka the things we were set up to care about/what this show is ostensibly about. the "powerful" music and editing juxtaposed with subject matter like nate and his problems or keeley and her business just made it a very strange episode to watch. why do i care about nate? why do i care about keely's business? why did they separate those characters from the club and then decide to give them all of the focus? so many questions.

this show has definitely become for me just another in a long line of shoes that started off great and then for whatever reason went totally away from made the show great in the first place. and just like game of thrones, rick and morty, the office, modern family, or shameless, i'm going to ride out this show because i still like a bunch of the characters. i just wish they'd actually focus on those characters (ted, beard, and the layers), especially when we now have episodes that are over an hour long. there's really no logical reason to lengthen the episodes while mostly ignoring the main characters.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

11 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

they filmed, edited, and scored this episode as if it were the most powerful and important piece of film ever made. but then none of it was actually about Ted Lasso, or even AFC Richmond, aka the things we were set up to care about/what this show is ostensibly about. the "powerful" music and editing juxtaposed with subject matter like nate and his problems or keeley and her business just made it a very strange episode to watch. why do i care about nate? why do i care about keely's business? why did they separate those characters from the club and then decide to give them all of the focus? so many questions.

this show has definitely become for me just another in a long line of shoes that started off great and then for whatever reason went totally away from made the show great in the first place. and just like game of thrones, rick and morty, the office, modern family, or shameless, i'm going to ride out this show because i still like a bunch of the characters. i just wish they'd actually focus on those characters (ted, beard, and the layers), especially when we now have episodes that are over an hour long. there's really no logical reason to lengthen the episodes while mostly ignoring the main characters.

At least we are spared the psychologist from season 2. Worst. Character. Ever.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Also, Rebecca pulling out the green matchbook and it’s entangled with one of Ted’s army men?

I hope that doesn’t mean Tedbecca is end game.

Obviously this means that Ted and Sam are end game.

Edited by austingirl
  • Haha 2

On 5/16/2023 at 2:37 PM, shadow_operative said:

the rebecca/amsterdam story is so strange given the tone/theme of so many of these recent episodes. in this story arc rebecca:

•is on her phone and somehow unaware that she's in everyone's way on the bike path 

•meets a strange man from a foreign country wh she knows nothing about and joins him in his aquatic mobile home for an evening of drinking and...

and yet we as viewers are supposed to view this as some sort of happy, beautiful love story for rebecca. the writers can't get their story straight. they had an episode where it was of paramount importance that all men respect women and their privacy by deleting photos of former loved ones off of their phones, only to glorify jack, a woman, ogling a famous man's dick from his own leaked photos. similarly we somehow were supposed to celebrate rebecca being a loose, drunken whore behaving dangerously, which really goes against so much of what this show is trying to promote. if you're going to go so hard on the social commentary you probably shouldn't blatantly contradict yourself like that. 

I swear it's like you all completely have forgotten Beard After Hours from last season.  Or the Christmas special.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Was the use of “red right hand” meant to evoke peaky blinders?  Because that’s the first thing I thought of, but didn’t really feel like they established a reference with Roy walking. But, I am an idiot, and could have missed something obvious. 

That song always makes me think of Scream, but I don’t think they were trying to evoke another show. More like trying to draw contrast between the lyrics about the actual devil and this grumpy man in a super bright, out of character clothing choice he wears out of love.

I get the episode length thing, but I think it comes down to a couple of simple issues.  Writers want to tell stories, actors want to explore the characters that they play

You average back in the day sitcom, like say a Cheers or something like that got around 550 minutes a season to tell the story of that season (22-24 minutes an episode, 22-24 episodes a year, with a few variations here and there on both)

Ted Lasso told its season 1 story in ~340 minutes.  Was that the genius of the Ted Lasso writers? Or, was it the financial constraint placed on an unproven show, not being fronted by what I would consider a bunch of household names, that is based on a concept that back at that time had a lot of people saying "they are really gonna try to make a whole show out of that funny little SOCCER commercial"?

So then it hits.  And so there is a willingness to commit to more money for more air time.  At the same time Jason Sudeikis, Hannah Waddingham, Brett Goldstein, Brendan Hunt, Nick Mohammad, Jeremy Swift, Juno Temple AND Toheeb Jimoh are ALL being nominated for Golden Globes and Emmy's all over the place, and in the case of Sudeikis, Waaddingham and Goldstein outright winning some of them.  

Now you got a lot more runway financially to tell more stories and a lot more actors who have been recognized for their work that want their characters to be explored.  Put those together and yea you have a show that has about 540 minutes of run time so far this season as it nears the finish line.  It's not actually crazy long in terms of screen minutes vs a lot of shows...it's just packaged a bit differently.  I get it if you don't like it and I guess you could make the argument they should have stayed lean, but I seriously doubt that was a creative choice as much as it was simply the economics of things.  

Oh and if you have not figured out by now that Ted Lasso is as much or more about the impact of Ted Lasso on those around him then it is about Ted Lasso himself or the team's wins and losses on the pitch (that he outright told you in season 1 that he does NOT care about).....I don't know what to tell you.  

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I get that so why the hell did they waste time on Zava?

Jamie’s growth as a player and person. Forced him to train more and get better. I think he saw a lot of his season 1 self in Zava too.  Great player, but all about himself and not the team. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Jamie’s growth as a player and person. Forced him to train more and get better. I think he saw a lot of his season 1 self in Zava too.  Great player, but all about himself and not the team. 

Also a good juxtaposition of philosophies.  Zava actually wasn't a bad guy but the style did not embody the "Lasso Way" that Total Football does.  It was fools gold that worked short term but ultimately fizzled out.

Also I think between Nate quitting on him (unless he was lying to Jade he just flat out quit) Rebecca spurning his advance (Head played a perfect forlorn look when that happened as she walked away) and I guess you can throw on the embarrassment of getting the fecalist news in front of her earlier

Rupert just had this moment thrown in his face.  Does he have bolts of lightning left?  Guess we will see.

Edited by Surly Bevo

On 5/16/2023 at 2:37 PM, shadow_operative said:

I know you're an idiot with no concept of the world but that mobile home probably costs in the neighborhood of 2 million dollars

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

Was the use of “red right hand” meant to evoke peaky blinders?  Because that’s the first thing I thought of, but didn’t really feel like they established a reference with Roy walking. But, I am an idiot, and could have missed something obvious. 
I agree completely. They had to know the peaky blinder effect it would have but they didn't execute in tying in a reference. Trying to do too many things this episode.

As for the zava issue, it's not hard to understand the writers' motivation. They tried to throw in as many real life parallels as they could and zlatan was one of them.

Some of the opinions in this thread:

ted-lasso-jamie-tartt.gif

I thought that was a fantastic episode. The only thing that isn't making sense is Nate quitting but I guess that's more what his dad said about Nate seeing things other can't. So maybe he knew if he stayed with Rupert eventually he'd turn into him. Then the episode shows how much Rupert wants to return to being that kid who snuck into Richmond games. The Rebecca speech was great. And yes, El Tri Dani was delightful. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

I am enjoying this season, and i liked the Amsterdam episode.  I like seeing men being portrayed in a positive light, with room for personal growth, and their little community to support each other (or in some cases move them in the right direction).  I like seeing the women of the show also have their struggles but come out on top of this with help and support of one another.  I liked that Rebecca was lost in Amsterdam and ran into a random kind person.   In too many shows people are flat or have it all figured out.  The older folks are not all knowing or all assholes.  Even Rupert seemed to be at a moment.  The frumpy assistant.  His reaching out of Rebecca.  His taking a backseat to the superleague.  It seems he is also not quite on steady ground.  Nate is maturing, knowing what he wants but still unsure about himself.  Finally able to talk with his Dad.  

I am going to miss this show.

@henrygandorf  Tie-dye is fairly easy.  My kids have made some, none were terrible, and some were actually good.  I suppose it is all about the adults who help.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

On 5/17/2023 at 7:14 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

They’ve even portrayed Rupert as the evil Emperor this season, and he didn’t come across as half bad in this episode.

They're going to start calling him Nice Guy Rupert before the end of the next episode.

The way he was suddenly chastened, humbled and making a pass at his ex wife with the only explanation being "sexual harassment scandal" ...I dunno...maybe we'll find out he got a pep talk from Ted. /s

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tx ind said:

Packed a lot of shit in there, was enjoyable.  Higgins is always great for a stupid laugh (spilling his tea when Rebecca barged in).

“I hate to break it to you, Rebecca, but those children are dead.”

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3