Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

44 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Why invite a guy to a meeting that you will ask him to leave?  So he can have a Chicago dog?

Because fuck Russia. That's why. Also because Chelsea FC had a Russian oligarch owner who was forced to sell his club recently so I guess topical to Goldstein.  

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 5

14 minutes ago, locodos said:

In reference to Roy's old England football "kit"

Jamie: "I got them to change the e to a u"

Phoebe's faces in the background as she's trying to figure it out and when she finally does like "ohhhhh"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, utee94 said:

I thought it was awesome because fuck Russia.

Agreed with the take too but it did seem really hamfisted and not a very organic way to get the message out. Maybe it should have been all the other owners that asked him to leave. It would have made more sense. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, locodos said:

In reference to Roy's old England football "kit"

Jamie: "I got them to change the e to a u"

Legitimately maybe the best joke of the episode. I wonder how long they were sitting on that one. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Viper said:

Agreed with the take too but it did seem really hamfisted and not a very organic way to get the message out. Maybe it should have been all the other owners that asked him to leave. It would have made more sense. 

or just had him not admitted to begin with, and just kinda been like, "you know..."

edit:

big fancy car pulls up, a driver and body man exit the vehicle and help an older, clearly rich and powerful gentlemen out of the back seat.  he walks up smug and confident and the guy with the clipboard is shaking his head but we don't hear their conversation.  then, in a huff, he turns back to the two men and says in a thick, russian accent, "boris, sergei, apprarently we're not welcome here, get the car!"

easy peasy.

Edited by henrygandorf
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Viper said:

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

or just had him not admitted to begin with, and just kinda been like, "you know..."

No I'm glad they admitted him and then booted him, but I do agree with Viper that it would have made more sense if the other owners tossed him, rather than Akufo who only covets money and glamour.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/17/2023 at 11:51 AM, HamsterHookah said:

The episode moved at a blitz pace because Ted was hardly in it. He bogs the show down, which is weird because he’s the titular character.

They don't need Ted any longer. He, through the sheer force of his personality, has almost completely corrected the dysfunction from the top of the organization, all the way to the bottom. 

He moves back to the States and takes on his toughest job yet...head coach of the Fighting Texum Bulldogs, a job which finally breaks him, and he disappears, never to be seen or heard from again.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

They don't need Ted any longer. He, through the sheer force of his personality, has almost completely corrected the dysfunction from the top of the organization, all the way to the bottom. 

He moves back to the States and takes on his toughest job yet...head coach of the Fighting Texum Bulldogs, a job which finally breaks him, and he disappears, never to be seen or heard from again.

My work here is done. Catch you on the dark side of the moon.

John Goodman — drug dealer, hero of “Flight” | Movie Nation

2 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Great episode. I was rolling. For some reason Rebecca seeing her younger self in the mirror got to me and made me want to go hug my own 11 yo, who is growing up way too fast. 

Yup my oldest is 15.  I still see her as a 5 year old.  Until you experience it, there's no way to understand how quickly the time flies by.

• Like 5

On 5/17/2023 at 1:13 AM, henrygandorf said:

been meaning to say this for weeks but the van damme joke was never funny and it’s crazy they’ve tried to make fetch happen all season. 

the national teams and the okufu league should’ve been season-long plotlines. tough to set that all up and knock it all down in one episode.  the rebecca speech would’ve landed better with half a season build-up. 

they also should’ve had jack pull funding right after the breakup and then waited to have rebecca save the day at the 11th hour.  her sending that vague text was nonsense.

the ambiguity of nate resigning + inappropriate behavior + rupert’s asst leaving was also silly.  

ambitious episode.  a lot going on. it’s like this show is trying to win a bet that it’s episodic when it’s clearly serialized. a lot of time wasted this season on lesser storylines than these, yet here we are shoving everything into an hour. 

First off for all, I loved  national pride Dani. National games just hit different. Either you get it or you don’t and I feel sorry for you. National game wins have a distinct feel and putting it to words would not do it justice. 

also, national games don’t last all year. It’d make no sense to drag that out all year. It was well done considering the real world constraints. 

On 5/17/2023 at 2:49 PM, shadow_operative said:

they filmed, edited, and scored this episode as if it were the most powerful and important piece of film ever made. but then none of it was actually about Ted Lasso, or even AFC Richmond, aka the things we were set up to care about/what this show is ostensibly about. the "powerful" music and editing juxtaposed with subject matter like nate and his problems or keeley and her business just made it a very strange episode to watch. why do i care about nate? why do i care about keely's business? why did they separate those characters from the club and then decide to give them all of the focus? so many questions.

this show has definitely become for me just another in a long line of shoes that started off great and then for whatever reason went totally away from made the show great in the first place. and just like game of thrones, rick and morty, the office, modern family, or shameless, i'm going to ride out this show because i still like a bunch of the characters. i just wish they'd actually focus on those characters (ted, beard, and the layers), especially when we now have episodes that are over an hour long. there's really no logical reason to lengthen the episodes while mostly ignoring the main characters.

Not so much on derka but he deserves a stray here, but a lot of y’all are some miserable sunsavbitches. Goddamn, it’s a fun show and enjoy the goddamn ride. Glad I check this thread once a quarter, much more enjoyable to live in the moment and watch a fun entertaining show. Fucking hell

On 5/18/2023 at 4:57 PM, Viper said:

Nah. They understand money and perspective. Fuck Russia. It felt right not ham fisted at all. 

4 minutes ago, achooloco said:

First off for all, I loved  national pride Dani. National games just hit different. Either you get it or you don’t and I feel sorry for you. National game wins have a distinct feel and putting it to words would not do it justice. 

also, national games don’t last all year. It’d make no sense to drag that out all year. It was well done considering the real world constraints. 

you do realize i was complimenting the storylines in this episode, right?  i wanted them to be involved in more of the season instead of some of the garbage we got. 

they easily could've brought the national games up a couple episodes ago and had some conversations about how they work for us sad sacks that aren't fortunate enough to feel how different national games hit.  same with the super league. 

agreed national pride dani was hilarious and zoreaux not understanding it made it funnier.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

you do realize i was complimenting the storylines in this episode, right?  i wanted them to be involved in more of the season instead of some of the garbage we got. 

they easily could've brought the national games up a couple episodes ago and had some conversations about how they work for us sad sacks that aren't fortunate enough to feel how different national games hit.  same with the super league. 

agreed national pride dani was hilarious and zoreaux not understanding it made it funnier.

Complimenting is fine  (you weren’t one of the ones I was besmirching in second half of the quote) just saying considering the time gaps, it makes sense that club players leaving for qualifying etc would make sense to limit to one episode. It happens sure but not that much in light of the fast paced timeline of the show (especially this season). But yes, nice to emphasize more but just saying I’m ok with them not being able to write it in more. Truly IYKYK and if you don’t meh 🤷🏽‍♂️ (sorry if incoherent, a Cousin passed after extended md Anderson stay, so drinking) 

lol at van damme, not getting it. Good stuff, cheers to all fans 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2023 at 7:56 PM, Surly Bevo said:

I get the episode length thing, but I think it comes down to a couple of simple issues.  Writers want to tell stories, actors want to explore the characters that they play

You average back in the day sitcom, like say a Cheers or something like that got around 550 minutes a season to tell the story of that season (22-24 minutes an episode, 22-24 episodes a year, with a few variations here and there on both)

Ted Lasso told its season 1 story in ~340 minutes.  Was that the genius of the Ted Lasso writers? Or, was it the financial constraint placed on an unproven show, not being fronted by what I would consider a bunch of household names, that is based on a concept that back at that time had a lot of people saying "they are really gonna try to make a whole show out of that funny little SOCCER commercial"?

geico-caveman-gif.gif

Oh and if you have not figured out by now that Ted Lasso is as much or more about the impact of Ted Lasso on those around him then it is about Ted Lasso himself or the team's wins and losses on the pitch (that he outright told you in season 1 that he does NOT care about).....I don't know what to tell you.  

Amen.

That said - what I find interesting about this is that:

A. He does this through zero force of will. It's like it's just a field of happy around him that changes everyone.

B. Except himself (and his marriage) it appears. He still has his issues.

Still like I said, this is the story and this is why they are succeeding.