Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

2 hours ago, The Dog said:

It's a boss telling a subordinate that what she asked of him wasn't a request and so she pushed his buttons to make sure he doesn't pull that stunt again. 

If we were to view it as foreshadowing then it could be that Ted has already indicated his intentions to leave to Rebecca (or she senses it) and needs to find out if Roy is capable of doing "head coach stuff" if she needs a quick replacement.

Him blowing it off and passing it to Beard means she couldn't do that assessment which is possibly why Roy did the press conference after the next game. 

And Roy gave his Ted Lasso speech/story at the press conference to show he has learned from Ted and addressed his weaknesses

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

what was with rebecca's speech to roy all about? the guy has changed pretty dramatically for the better and hasn't been nearly as negative as he used to be. it's been a pretty major plot point. she asks him to the press conference, he doesn't do it, and suddenly she's delivering some speech to him that you could tell was supposed to be some great, momentous event, when in reality it just comes out of nowhere and doesn't make any sense. that felt like they accidentally dropped in a scene from S1 into the middle of an episode from S3.

Just stop watching the show already.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

I just assumed Rupert believes his team’s manager, and anyone in his orbit, should be fucking/dating a total 10 and not a Greek restaurant hostess from Eastern Europe. 

It is all optics and appearances. 

I think the same thing.  It is the reason he gave him a new car.   

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

I just assumed Rupert believes his team’s manager, and anyone in his orbit, should be fucking/dating a total 10 and not a Greek restaurant hostess from Eastern Europe. 

i think it is more Rupert wanting Nate to be focused, ruthless, and miserable with a chip on his shoulder - not a satisfied, in love, complacent Nate.

I half expected West Ham to get a beat down in their game this episode to show Nate was getting soft, ie: less effective as a manager - but that didn't happen.

Edited by yoladu

5 hours ago, mdmost said:

Also has undertones of how he ended things with Keeley, her best friend. 

That's what I was thinking out while she was giving him the speech.  I think it was as much about that as it was his professional life.

4 hours ago, Deej said:

Nate trips and falls again as he crosses the street on his way back to the AFC Richmond facilities, and get run over and killed by a double decker bus....

... driven by Beard.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, yoladu said:

i think it is more Rupert wanting Nate to be focused, ruthless, and miserable with a chip on his shoulder - not a satisfied, in love, complacent Nate.

I half expected West Ham to get a beat down in their game this episode to show Nate was getting soft, ie: less effective as a manager - but that didn't happen.

I thought the show tried to illustrate that he's still very focused on his job-- staying late and strategizing with the whiteboard, always focused and heads down in his office on plays and stratagem, etc.

23 hours ago, sidis said:

ummm, yes?  i'm aware she plays rupert's lady but i am not sure what that has to do with what i posted.

my point was it seemed like everyone was down on the episode and i had just heard she was a writer.  she's not generally considered to be a writer.  she's generally considered to be a model.

that said, i have now seen the episode and that was a very personal story that she clearly drove the bus on.  show keeley being someone who has nude photos as part of her career but then has a personal video of a sexual nature released is absolutely parallel real keeley. she had a sex tape released and everything about that storyline was clearly her story.  and it isn't the worst platform for that storyline.  however, it's not hard to see why people did not enjoy a lot of it.  the "dialogue" in the locker room early in the episode as a way to make a speech and isaac demanding everyone go through their phones was just awful, awful, awful writing.  it was cringey bad.  but i really hope it was cathartic for real keeley.  not from a stanning perspective but i just imagine it sucks so bad.

some of the other writing in the episode was pretty poor as well but whatever.  even though you could see the hey jude scene coming from the moon through a magnifying glass, i still enjoyed that part.

just some clarity here - when an episode of a tv show says "written by" it doesn't mean she went home and came back two weeks later with a finished shooting script. 

she most likely pitched the story idea and was in the room when they built it.  i have no idea about previous seasons, but i believe she is considered a "staff writer" this season, so she's one of many voices in the room, most of which are louder than hers. 

the scenes, the twists and turns, the mini-arcs, and especially the dialogue, were more than likely not penned personally by her.  typically a show like this would assign episodes and the "written by" credits are spread around (each writer might have one per season).

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

what was with rebecca's speech to roy all about? the guy has changed pretty dramatically for the better and hasn't been nearly as negative as he used to be. it's been a pretty major plot point. she asks him to the press conference, he doesn't do it, and suddenly she's delivering some speech to him that you could tell was supposed to be some great, momentous event, when in reality it just comes out of nowhere and doesn't make any sense. that felt like they accidentally dropped in a scene from S1 into the middle of an episode from S3.

what show are you watching?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

just some clarity here - when an episode of a tv show says "written by" it doesn't mean she went home and came back two weeks later with a finished shooting script. 

she most likely pitched the story idea and was in the room when they built it.  i have no idea about previous seasons, but i believe she is considered a "staff writer" this season, so she's one of many voices in the room, most of which are louder than hers. 

the scenes, the twists and turns, the mini-arcs, and especially the dialogue, were more than likely not penned personally by her.  typically a show like this would assign episodes and the "written by" credits are spread around (each writer might have one per season).

She made a big deal about it on her social media when that episode came out…calling it her episode, etc. And given it’s clearly her personal story, I suspect she had an outsized hand in it. 

10 minutes ago, sidis said:

She made a big deal about it on her social media when that episode came out…calling it her episode, etc. And given it’s clearly her personal story, I suspect she had an outsized hand in it. 

no doubt it was "her episode" but every little imperfect thing about that episode should not be pinned on her.

6 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

no doubt it was "her episode" but every little imperfect thing about that episode should not be pinned on her.

No, of course not. 

but I felt that the dialogue that centered around the sex tape hacking was not good. 

2 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

what show are you watching?

the one where a guy spent three seasons changing for the better and growing, only to suddenly be dressed down because he supposedly needs to change for the better and start growing. and with no build up, at that. has roy even spoken to rebecca this season before that strange interaction? made no sense.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Drool 1

On 5/10/2023 at 6:24 AM, mdmost said:

I thought for sure Rupert was going to make a pass at Jade.

It's definitely going to happen.

On 5/10/2023 at 9:19 AM, Cooterhorn said:

There is still 3 more episodes.  I expect it to happen

Yup.

On 5/10/2023 at 9:46 AM, Surly Bevo said:

Straw that breaks the camels back.

Yup. It's going to drive Nate back toward Ted/Richmond and it's going to drive Becks into Rebecca's arms.  (we can all hope)

9 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Rupert is either Jade's dad, or has already fucked her. Something's going on there.  

Yeah, no.  He just wants to bang her because a) he's a philanderer and b) he wants to exert power over Nate, because he wants to exert power over everyone, because he's a dick.

9 hours ago, Js1 said:

Nah, he's fine with banging chicks he feels are below him, just look at his "dates" for the evening.  The car was about appearances, but this one is about him exerting power over a subordinate, while also banging a younger chick.  He's going to make a pass at her, and it's what will ultimately drive Nate back to the "good side."

i don't want ted to get back with his ex.

i don't want rebecca to find love.

i don't want nate to come back to richmond and don't care if he stays at betway.

i don't want closure on characters that are fictitious and won't be around anymore in any capacity.

just entertain me.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the one where a guy spent three seasons changing for the better and growing, only to suddenly be dressed down because he supposedly needs to change for the better and start growing. and with no build up, at that. has roy even spoken to rebecca this season before that strange interaction? made no sense.

Roy has changed for the better, no doubt...that doesn't mean he still doesn't have some distance to travel.  He's still avoiding things when they get hard for him.  

Roy is kind of like you as a poster in fact.  Much improved, still room to grow.

Edited by Surly Bevo

23 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Roy has changed for the better, no doubt...that doesn't mean he still doesn't have some distance to travel.  He's still avoiding things when they get hard for him.  

Roy is kind of like you as a poster in fact.  Much improved, still room to grow.

giphy.gif?cid=549b592df5ahknzfb31klyvktc

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have started following her IG thanks to this show and I enjoy her puns. I will probably buy her memoir.

9 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

So…just throwing this out there…

The kid actor playing Ted’s son is the best and least annoying kid actor in the history of kid actors….well, since Leo D.

The only reason he's not annoying is because he's been in like 4 episodes and has maybe 10 minutes of screen time total. Kid actors are annoying because typically the show isn't about the kids. But because they're there, show runners feel the need to shoehorn them into story lines.

It's one of the things I really, really liked about the BBC show Catastrophe. Kids were physically in the scenes but had no dialogue. The show wasn't about them and the didn't try to make it about the kids. 

On 5/10/2023 at 3:28 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Beard doesn’t seem like a Joe Walsh guy. Beard seems like a Jan Akkerman guy. 

He wasn't comparing Walsh and Page. He was just saying Walsh is UNDERRATED and Page is OVERRATED and Stairway is just an elaborate fingering exercise. Pay attention.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/11/2023 at 9:18 AM, shadow_operative said:

She's talking about Keely you idiot 

1 hour ago, BHMCruiser said:

He was just saying Walsh is UNDERRATED and Page is OVERRATED and Stairway is just an elaborate fingering exercise.

Then he really doesn't want to get into Joe and Life in The Fast Lane.

• Drool 1

14 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i don't want ted to get back with his ex.

i don't want rebecca to find love.

i don't want nate to come back to richmond and don't care if he stays at betway.

i don't want closure on characters that are fictitious and won't be around anymore in any capacity.

just entertain me.

gotta leave something for the inevitable movie.

I do want to hear Ted Crimm's assessment. Dude has been a fly on the wall, I want that payoff.

28 minutes ago, locodos said:

gotta leave something for the inevitable movie.

I do want to hear Ted Crimm's assessment. Dude has been a fly on the wall, I want that payoff.

I wonder if you get him narrating some of it at the end of the movie like The Hobbit or the critic in Ratatouille as the show fades out to some interesting, obscure-yet-not song that is perfect for the ending.

Edited by HamsterHookah

2 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

He wasn't comparing Walsh and Page. He was just saying Walsh is UNDERRATED and Page is OVERRATED and Stairway is just an elaborate fingering exercise. Pay attention.

He said, "Joe Walsh is a poet."  

This was my favorite song when I was in 6th grade, but it's also ample evidence that Joe Walsh is not a poet:

I'm makin' records, my fans they can't wait
They write me letters, tell me I'm great
So I got me an office, gold records on the wall
Just leave a message, maybe I'll call

And what's even more ridiculous is that the Life in the Fast Lane guitar riff was literally "just an elaborate fingering exercise" for Walsh until Henley heard it and turned it into a song. 

Edited by Beau Vine

On 5/11/2023 at 9:18 AM, shadow_operative said:

image.gif.f3ca60af6114384c2af261cf3ffa13dc.gif

4 hours ago, irishtexan said:

The only reason he's not annoying is because he's been in like 4 episodes and has maybe 10 minutes of screen time total. Kid actors are annoying because typically the show isn't about the kids. But because they're there, show runners feel the need to shoehorn them into story lines.

It's one of the things I really, really liked about the BBC show Catastrophe. Kids were physically in the scenes but had no dialogue. The show wasn't about them and the didn't try to make it about the kids. 

I don't know about all that...but that little fucker that plays Kayce's son on Yellowstone could ruin a series with just a little screen time!

4 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

Rupert cannot stand people who behave wholesomely because he wants everybody to wallow in their faults the way he does. 

I don't think he wallows in anything.  He spritely moves from one situation to another with an extra spring in his step if he is annoying others or being lauded.  

5 hours ago, irishtexan said:

there are so many things to like about that show i didn't even think of that.