Cheese Enchiladas

Tailgate

How would I know wtf that is? 
Wtf is it? 

63ce89356834b380065ea7e8bf243c0c.jpg

Here you go. French fucking dressing. Are you implying this isn’t the national salad dressing of fucking France?

In the 60’s this was probably in 90% of homes. In restaurants they’d bring a dressing holder with three buckets of dressing. 1000 island, French, blue cheese.
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Here you go. French fucking dressing. Are you implying this isn’t the national salad dressing of fucking France?

In the 60’s this was probably in 90% of homes. In restaurants they’d bring a dressing holder with three buckets of dressing. 1000 island, French, blue cheese.

In the late 70s and early 80s too.  When I was a kid, this was my gateway into salads.  And you definitely could get some version of it at restaurants. 

Edited by dcbc

51 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I'm just wondering why you tagged me on an enchilada French dressing post. I don't eat enchiladas like that. 

@Ldogg53 might. 

I'm just wondering why you tagged me on an enchilada French dressing post. I don't eat enchiladas like that. 
[mention=134]Ldogg53[/mention] might. 

You said you didn’t know what French dressing was.

It goes in the “Mexican” baloney salad.

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

You said you didn’t know what French dressing was.

It goes in the “Mexican” baloney salad.

When did I say that? I said wtf is that regarding French dressing and Enchiladas. 

12 hours ago, Slacks said:

When did I say that? I said wtf is that regarding French dressing and Enchiladas. 

I try to avoid the word "literally" at all costs because of its misuse/abuse.  But he may have ready your post too literally.

96c5dd9f-baeb-44ac-b24a-ac19b33bdcab_tex

I'm still going to assume you never have heard of French dressing, even though it is a critical ingredient (along with liquid smoke) in traditional, Texas barbecue, as well as Tex-Mex. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I'm still going to assume you never have heard of French dressing, even though it is a critical ingredient (along with liquid smoke) in traditional, Texas barbecue, as well as Tex-Mex. 

It's also used a lot in Japanese fusion.

So, my half brother…from Fargo…is in town. Gifted us with this:

02eafde92f0feee181983932dd8cecc5.jpg

So…being that this is the enchiladas thread….here we go:

da2b4e69f4702cdb81c4d418fbc68c89.jpg

I dare one of y’all to make those.

And if you’re feeling super adventurous, tackle this one. But first, you need a can of tamales:

3cd200fe2d479ab8936962e5c590643f.jpg

I’m not gonna lie, the recipes with ground beef and tator tots look like they’ll eat. And the breakfast casserole recipes actually look good.

But dear lord, midwestern people…y’all just aren’t good at the “anything remotely spicy or ethnic” thing.

Please tell me you put him on the first plane back home.
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Mil sent me corn tortillas, i don’t have the energy to make flour, and I wanted to do something fajita-ish with some steak leftovers. And the toddler is in daycare. Not the prettiest, but not bad for the conditions.

IMG_6336.thumb.jpeg.b52d06cdb1b16c8bcbd0f45aa1952ae9.jpeg

IMG_6341.thumb.jpeg.9695ac722adbe42cf1f79cf5ad7b5c83.jpeg

The first enchilada shown needs more cheese and chili gravy.

Also, it appears to be a small person, so you may want to confirm that before proceeding with the cheese and gravy.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

The first time I had my girlfriend over, I made cheese enchiladas... broiled them on individual plates Dart Bowl style.  Then we watched the "Without Getting Killed or Caught" documentary about Guy and Townes. She's alright for New Englander.

What was her reaction to Tex Mex cheese enchiladas? Did she enjoy, or just say it was ok, or spit them out?

5 hours ago, Masshole Horn said:

The first time I had my girlfriend over, I made cheese enchiladas... broiled them on individual plates Dart Bowl style.  Then we watched the "Without Getting Killed or Caught" documentary about Guy and Townes. She's alright for New Englander.

Pics are not showing up. 

Edited by Anastasis

4 hours ago, deft said:

I miss dart bowl

Such an amazing place to find enchiladas that were consistently satisfying. If Texas Monthly put out a Top 50 of the best cheese enchilada restaurants, Dart Bowl would have consistently been in the top 5.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, pch said:

Such an amazing place to find enchiladas that were consistently satisfying. If Texas Monthly put out a Top 50 of the best cheese enchilada restaurants, Dart Bowl would have consistently been in the top 5.

1 hour ago, DoobieWah said:

Now that’s an idea whose time has come. 

Yeah no kidding.  You brilliant son-of-a-bitch!

Make it so.  Seriously.  Daniel Vaughn started out by blogging about BBQ and gathering enough of a following, that TM eventually created a new position and picked him as the BBQ editor.  There's no reason the same thing couldn't happen for Tex-Mex and, more specifically, enchiladas.

(Edit: And yeah I know TM ranked BBQ before Daniel Vaughn, but now it's been more standardized and publicized.  No reason some surlyite couldn't become TM's new Enchilada Emperador)

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, royiv said:

And the next thing you know, craft enchiladas are a thing.

And settling for the two enchilada plate because the three enchilada plate is $45, and rice and beans cost $6.50 each. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

13 minutes ago, royiv said:

And the next thing you know, craft enchiladas are a thing.

Well to be fair, there are already plenty of places making fancy-schmancy enchiladas.  It's just not places like EyM or Dart Bowl.

But yeah, point well taken.  I really don't want the Comida Regular to start selling for $45, so I'll just keep my stupid mouth shut from now on.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/23/2023 at 11:10 AM, Brisketexan said:

Buy the koilbassa brand, or Apco brand. Both are made with actual meat.

This.  Far and away the best I've had from a grocery store.  HEB/CM have it (on the off-chance its open).

37 minutes ago, Deej said:

And settling for the two enchilada plate because the three enchilada plate is $45, and rice and beans cost $6.50 each. 

God knows we're already trying to ruin tacos.  Shit like this is all the rage, at $5 or more a taco (menu prices are outdated, even higher now):

image.thumb.png.8e36d541d43243c7030a477b79177871.png

When THIS is what we should be celebrating:

o.jpg

We find ways to absolutely ruin what should be perfectly delicious, simple food of the common man.  In Texas, one of those definitive dishes is the 2 cheese enchilada plate with rice and beans (usually ordered as the "number something or other").  No.  Just no.  Do NOT hipster-ify and fuck up enchiladas.  Please, in the name of all that is holy, fucking NO.

• Like 5