Cheese Enchiladas

Tailgate

20 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

El Chaparral in Helotes, easily top 5 cheese enchilada in the state  

I ate there so many times as a child. Many times it was before going to Flores Country Store. 

I guess my parents did alright by me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

image.gif.b8bf71dcd4eb8fecee268f607a306433.gif

There was a big military base in ww2 30 miles east of downtown Dallas. It would have been a target for German bombers had they had one. Mayor Amon Carter proposed putting a Mobil Pegasus atop a building in downtown Ft Worth, 30 miles due west of downtown Dallas. I understand that sentiment.

23 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

El Chaparral in Helotes, easily top 5 cheese enchilada in the state  

Love that place. I contend it isn't as good since they expanded and the one on Redland Road and 1604 isn't as good as the original, but they have damn good food. Some of the best refried  beans I've ever had, too. I can't imagine how much unhealthy shit is packed into them. 

I think I’ve been there but just for happy hour. Do they have a back patio that overlooks a field?

Gonna try to go see bob Schneider at floores on Friday night so might need to stop there first as I’ve hear above it’s good that way.

On 1/25/2024 at 2:23 PM, Brisketexan said:

Maudies, Enchiladas Perfecto (3 w rice and beans), $13:

image.thumb.png.4ebffc356953117fe6913f2b1a2ebf70.png

I usually got the Josie’s enchiladas back in the day, but have to say the strait plate is pretty awesome too.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2024 at 9:20 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

I dunno, dude. I'm a simple man, and there are few things better than refried pintos mixed with Mexican rice rolled into a tortilla.

Examples from my past two Tex-Mex outings. I could eat beans and rice every day and never tire of it. (sorrynotsorry for the non-cheese enchilada bump)

20240126_Bean-n-RiceTacos.jpg

20240214_BeansNRice.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

On 1/25/2024 at 10:35 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Still my opinion that rice is an unnecessary filler.  Probably because I harvested so much of it.  I have seen shit Uncle Ben never dreamed of.   Nah, fuck Rice.  

10’ outside my bedroom window in Tianmu was a rice paddy farm. 
Twice a year when the new rice crops were hand planted and fertilized with “honey buckets”, the fragrance that permeated our neighborhood mandated our house to be shut closed like a clean room in a microchip plant.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

is there a dish that y'all have found is just the right size for making enchiladas?  I always end up with a neat row of however many enchiladas and then two sets of two going the other direction and then a dead corner. Also going to try and roll/sauce/freeze an extra tray when I'm making them this week.

28 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

is there a dish that y'all have found is just the right size for making enchiladas?  I always end up with a neat row of however many enchiladas and then two sets of two going the other direction and then a dead corner. Also going to try and roll/sauce/freeze an extra tray when I'm making them this week.

Kinda depends on the size of the tortillas, too.

33 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

The cast iron pan I got to use on the griddle does pretty well. Don’t remember having a couple going lengthwise on one side.

But it also holds about 3 dozen, so may not be what you’re after. 

had to scroll back so far to find it, but I did because it's one of the best pictures in this thread imo

-

On 10/19/2022 at 4:16 PM, thunderlounge said:

Guess a refresher is in order…

783CCC55-262B-49E4-80B4-964E8F40F521.thumb.jpeg.6138f8e820ffafc3331b258289fd757e.jpeg

78D4BCD8-ECDE-45BA-871C-EBE57F5FB124.thumb.jpeg.d28805b51056dad2708c463447ab9abc.jpeg

CA57AA28-8E6D-4949-B030-4BE1FF0EACC7.thumb.jpeg.38690806735a4838c69ccc914e3a2fa1.jpeg

but yeah, that's more than I'm hoping to make in a batch. I guess I should get out the measurements and just find a pan that's 2x that and a decent width.

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Kinda depends on the size of the tortillas, too.

on my list of things this year is to fuck around with making corn tortillas, but I feel like the regular sized ones that you can get at the store are fairly consistent across brands? Are we making enchiladas with bigass tortillas?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

had to scroll back so far to find it, but I did because it's one of the best pictures in this thread imo

Thanks! Really means a lot to hear that out of the blue.

I’d have to go look at the width, but you can probably find one half that length.

57 minutes ago, DoobieWah said:

That looks to be 12 x 24 so half size would be 12 x 12. Sounds like something somebody makes. 

I look forward to the future results. 

P.S. Concur on the artistry of the finished photo. 

I think this is the guy, 15.5x10.5. So, somewhere around 5.25 for the skinny side, I’m gonna look around.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

The cast iron pan I got to use on the griddle does pretty well. Don’t remember having a couple going lengthwise on one side.

But it also holds about 3 dozen, so may not be what you’re after. 

Yeah, three dozen isn’t nearly enough.

On 1/28/2024 at 11:39 AM, Texzilla58 said:

I think that’s the price now at fucking Mi Cocina.

Agree with everything you said about Mi Cocina, but I check the menu out of curiosity- surprised to see their cheese enchilada dinner is $13.95.

22 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I'm usually full of shit, but on that subject, I've started to make my enchiladas in shallow aluminum pans and then immediately freeze them.    As I've said plenty of times, I am a NEISD enchilada devotee.  There is just something about freezing them that keeps it all from being a big gooey mess when you later bake them and put the enchilada gravy on them.  I'm convinced that all the old traditional Tex-Mex places did it this way, hence all of the "no substitutions" and "the plate is hot" admonitions.

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I'm usually full of shit, but on that subject, I've started to make my enchiladas in shallow aluminum pans and then immediately freeze them.    As I've said plenty of times, I am a NEISD enchilada devotee.  There is just something about freezing them that keeps it all from being a big gooey mess when you later bake them and put the enchilada gravy on them.  I'm convinced that all the old traditional Tex-Mex places did it this way, hence all of the "no substitutions" and "the plate is hot" admonitions.

The last batch I made I used a half sheet, and honestly I think the thing I need may be a quarter sheet. Might order a pack of Nordic ware quarter sheets, which are 13x9.6 and an inch deep. Could go two rows vertical on the 13” side.  I bought these to try freezing half of the batch, the little guys might be convenient 

IMG_7188.thumb.jpeg.be291817ba0d566db4283eb4f86ecc5b.jpeg

Actually, let me clarify - do you roll and sauce and then freeze? Or roll sauce bake and freeze and then rebake? I’m assuming the former

Edited by Celery Man

2 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Roll, sauce, cheese and freeze.  No cooking.  Then bake, do gravy and more cheese.  They just seem to stay together better.

Interesting. I wonder of they stay together better because it reverses the softening done so you can roll them easier. Either way, I’ll have to give it a shot. 

3 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

840a290cd62f4fd3d33c559cae3da1a9_large.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

I ate probably 2000 patio or el Chico cheese enchiladas TV dinners in my life. In college they would be promoted for 5 for $2.

Did you ever wonder exactly what mammals you were eating?

(I'm using the term "mammals" loosely.)

I ate probably 2000 patio or el Chico cheese enchiladas TV dinners in my life. In college they would be promoted for 5 for $2.

Hells. Yes.

I used to buy variations of those, add some red chile and/or cheese to the entree, cut it all up and eat it like a dip with chips. And then have another one just like it. For like 99 cents each. Glorious.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I've never heard of the El Chico frozen dinners, but I worked at El Chico through college.  I don't know if it's nostalgia, or just conditioning through eating there so often, but if I could figure out exactly how to make cheese and onion enchiladas with chili con carne gravy, or chicken chimichangas like we served there I would make that shit twice a week.

• Like 1

Did you ever wonder exactly what mammals you were eating?
(I'm using the term "mammals" loosely.)

Nope. I got the cheese enchiladas dinner although the “beef” weren’t bad. I figured the beef came from unused scraps from prisons.

I've never heard of the El Chico frozen dinners, but I worked at El Chico through college.  I don't know if it's nostalgia, or just conditioning through eating there so often, but if I could figure out exactly how to make cheese and onion enchiladas with chili con carne gravy, or chicken chimichangas like we served there I would make that shit twice a week.

I think they lost the license in one of the many sales of el Chico. It then was sold as el Charrito. It was never the correct flavor profile but was close especially for the price. A nooner on Wednesday was $1.99. But you got chips and tea.

Slightly off the enchilada topic, but in line with the bottom of the barrel TexMex discussion:  I used to work a few miles away from a Pancho's.  I would get their 4 beef tacos for $1 to-go special at least once a week (except I'd get 2 orders, so 8 tacos).

I don't know what I ate, but I think one of those tacos whinnied at me.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Slightly off the enchilada topic, but in line with the bottom of the barrel TexMex discussion:  I used to work a few miles away from a Pancho's.  I would get their 4 beef tacos for $1 to-go special at least once a week (except I'd get 2 orders, so 8 tacos).

I don't know what I ate, but I think one of those tacos whinnied at me.

Man, I miss Pancho's buffet for lunch.  Loved their chile rellenos and those sour cream enchiladas.  Raise the flag!

16 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

I'd eat two or three of them on the mornings I had a bad hangover. They did the trick. 

• Like 1

I used to eat the shit out of Taco Cabana enchiladas. After any gig in high school, that was the late night destination. We knew a crew of Houston guys and their version was a Jalisciences near the…. Galleria? that everyone called “Jolly Science”.

No, I’m not a monster. Those are corn tortillas. White corn, but corn. Although I can see how the little grill marks look like flour - that’s from frying them on the comal before rolling.

Edited by Celery Man

22 hours ago, baboso said:

Man, I miss Pancho's buffet for lunch.  Loved their chile rellenos and those sour cream enchiladas.  Raise the flag!

My roommates and I used to go to the one on or near Oltorf and just punish that buffet. We did it regularly and there'd always be a pot of $15-$30 (depending upon how many people went) for whoever had to sprint to the bathroom first. Rarely would the pot roll over to the next visit. It was uncanny. Apparently still worth it, however, because we kept going, and then sprinting.

23 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Well 5+7/16ths is just a tad too short, at least for la banderita tortillas

OMFG are you shitting me? Those are some of the worst tortillas on earth. My girlfriend accidentally bought some last week to make enchiladas. Fucking INEDIBLE. 

THEY ARE FUCKING MADE IN GEORGIA.

BANDERITA 2..jpg

BANDERITA 1.jpg