Your unpopular music opinions

Topper13

2 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

(I've posted this before). "Sharona" is a Realtor in L.A.  Yes, that Sharona.  And if you meet her, she'll make sure that you know that she's "that" Sharona. 

https://www.mysharona.com/

And I’m sure people know (I didn’t read every post) that the singer Fieger is the brother of Geoffrey Fieger, the lawyer who defended Kervorkian. 

Not sure if it's unpopular or not, but I know they get shit on a bunch.

I love the Counting Crows.  Granted, I haven't listened to much anything after the 2nd album.  The first 2 are great imo.

Adam Duritz is a fantastic lyricist/songwriter.

If all you know is Mr. Jones, I suggest doing a deeper dive

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

I love the Counting Crows.  Granted, I haven't listened to much anything after the 2nd album.  The first 2 are great imo.

I'm with you 100%.

Even their worst albums have a few great songs.  I think a lot of people bust their balls over their last commercial hit being on the Shrek Soundtrack.

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

I think RTS is a masterpiece record.  The musicianship is so freaking good on this album.

A top 10 all time for me.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

The Replacements were way better when Paul Westerberg was trying to be a real songwriter vs doing that stupid hardcore lite thing. Here Comes A Regular and Skyway kick the shit out of Hootenany and Sorry Ma…..

This is unpopular?  Total agreement.

7 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I  L O A T H E D the movie The Wall and that pretty much made dislike all of Pink Floyd... I can appreciate their talent but, nope.  

I've just heard too many songs from that album too many times.

I like a lot of Dark Side and Wish You Were Here, and am pretty much ambivalent about the rest.  Waters and Gilmour are clearly talented as hell, but I've always been annoyed by the fetishization of Syd Barrett's mental illness and just find The Wall bloated and pretentious.  And the songs just aren't as good as Dark Side and WYWH.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Tweedy really didn't miss from 1990 - 2005 which is a hell of a run.  His solo writing clearly isn't at the same level as the work he produced with Jays but he still has some gems within the uneven records.  

Yeah.  I even like a lot of Sky Blue Sky and Wilco (The Album).

It's been pretty meh since then.

Agree on prince as a guitarist. It gets misconstrued because he’s prince and he is pretty good and you wouldnt expect prince to be able to play like that, or at all.

But in and of itself, his playing isn’t all that special. There’s 1,000 guys in Nashville right now that could run circles around him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Agree on prince as a guitarist. It gets misconstrued because he’s prince and he is pretty good and you wouldnt expect prince to be able to play like that, or at all.

But in and of itself, his playing isn’t all that special. There’s 1,000 guys in Nashville right now that could run circles around him.

Maybe. Maybe not. But I bet only one or two of those thousand could write as many amazing songs as Prince did.

On 3/3/2023 at 5:00 PM, elguapo said:

I do not like The National. Their music is formulaic and boring af.

That one song they had about religion kinda slaps.  It’s got a good bass/rhythm line. But the rest of their stuff is exceptional boring.

Here’s mine: Jason Isbell hasn’t been good for awhile. There’s a few good songs on That Nashville Sound. But since then, pretty meh.  His cover of Driver 8 is legit bad.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

That one song they had about religion kinda slaps.  It’s got a good bass/rhythm line. But the rest of their stuff is exceptional boring.

Here’s mine: Jason Isbell hasn’t been good for awhile. There’s a few good songs on That Nashville Sound. But since then, pretty meh.  His cover of Driver 8 is legit bad.

This isn't unpopular to me.  Something More Than Free and Nashville Sound both have about 4 good songs a piece, but there's a lot of crap on those albums, Reunions is mostly crap, and the new single sucks.  I'll give the new album a listen out of loyalty, but I'd be shocked if I enjoy more than a song or two at this point.

On 3/4/2023 at 7:51 AM, BrickHorn said:

Prince is vastly overrated, both as a musician and as a guitarist. 

You are absolutely in the right thread.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/4/2023 at 7:51 AM, BrickHorn said:

Prince is vastly overrated, both as a musician and as a guitarist. 

On 3/4/2023 at 10:07 AM, tbone_ said:

i tried to come up with something more insane than these and really struggled.

best i could come up with is "bach is complete trash that did not understand music theory and did not influence western music in the least bit."

i will give that prince created an oeuvre that is far too large and thus, contains a ton of mediocre stuff...particularly with the new power generation imo.  but that dude was a fucking musical savant in every sense both writing and performing.  was he a douche a lot?  yes.  was he self-important? yes.  is his music for everyone? no. but if there are a thousand guys in nashville right now that can run circles around his performance with a guitar (or anything else for that matter) - particularly under the bright lights in front of a zillion people on stage, then i am declaring myself a better performer than jimi hendrix and a better composer than tchaikovsky, brahms, and beethoven combined.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 3

47 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Look, I've been out in Nashville.  There are some guys who can really shred.  I've never seen this there.

Tell me you don’t play guitar without telling me you don’t play guitar.

His solo is so fucking basic. Is it heartfelt and soulful? Yeah, sure. And it sounds okay. But the riffs are all beginner level shit. I mean, windmilling your arm doesn’t make playing the same note five times in a row impressive. I won’t argue that Prince isn’t a showman. He certainly is. But his technique is not impressive.

Just now, BrickHorn said:

Tell me you don’t play guitar without telling me you don’t play guitar.

His solo is so fucking basic. Is it heartfelt and soulful? Yeah, sure. And it sounds okay. But the riffs are all beginner level shit. I mean, windmilling your arm doesn’t make playing the same note five times in a row impressive. I won’t argue that Prince isn’t a showman. He certainly is. But his technique is not impressive.

I play guitar (only ever spent much time playing chords and riffs, and I'm not a very good soloer).  I'm not impressed with technicality.  Steve Vai/virtuoso type shit is like watching paint dry to me.

Being able to noodle a bunch of complex scales doesn't make you a great guitar player in my book.  What Prince is doing here moves people.  That's greatness.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

I play guitar (only ever spent much time playing chords and riffs, and I'm not a very good soloer).  I'm not impressed with technicality.  Steve Vai/virtuoso type shit is like watching paint dry to me.

Being able to noodle a bunch of complex scales doesn't make you a great guitar player in my book.  What Prince is doing here moves people.  That's greatness.

That’s fine and I have no problem with people saying “I love listening to Prince’s solos.” Fair enough. And I’m also not going to defend soulless shredders. But tons of guitarists can play basic bends with feel. Prince didn’t do anything on guitar that wasn’t already done by countless predecessors, and he didn’t push the bounds of what’s possible on the instrument the way other greats have. He’s just a dude who got famous for catchy pop tunes and when people later figured out that he could also play guitar adequately, they jumped to overrate him. 

There are plenty of dudes who can solo with Prince’s emotion and with vastly more impressive technique. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

That’s fine and I have no problem with people saying “I love listening to Prince’s solos.” Fair enough. And I’m also not going to defend soulless shredders. But tons of guitarists can play basic bends with feel. Prince didn’t do anything on guitar that wasn’t already done by countless predecessors, and he didn’t push the bounds of what’s possible on the instrument the way other greats have. He’s just a dude who got famous for catchy pop tunes and when people later figured out that he could also play guitar adequately, they jumped to overrate him. 
There are plenty of dudes who can solo with Prince’s emotion and with vastly more impressive technique. 

You and I have disagreed much on here. But this nails it imo.
  • Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Yeah, I'm not saying Prince is an all time guitar player, but he was one of those guys that could write great songs, plays his ass off, was an incredible showman, and at the end of the day had a massive impact.  So maybe his guitar playing is overrated, and I think in the wake of his passing there were people that exaggerated the quality of his body of work, but at his best he was undeniably one of the A list greats of rock/pop in the 20th Century.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yeah, I'm not saying Prince is an all time guitar player, but he was one of those guys that could write great songs, plays his ass off, was an incredible showman, and at the end of the day had a massive impact.  So maybe his guitar playing is overrated, and I think in the wake of his passing there were people that exaggerated the quality of his body of work, but at his best he was undeniably one of the A list greats of rock/pop in the 20th Century.

I think we’ve found common ground here. That’s pretty much how I view him, although I'm not sure about how massive his impact was. But that’s largely because I’m not a huge fan of his music, so I never really tried to play like him or bothered to follow bands that sound like he does.