2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

• coolent = antifreeze + water (?)
  • And some of you with thoughtful builders may already have frost/freeze proof sillcocks/hosebibs/outdoor faucets. 
    • freezeable sillcocks/hose bibs/outdoor faucets (notice the short shaft):

main-qimg-e4abd7cccae3b63f11d3cc28d41bc07e

• Frost-proof/Freeze-proof sillcocks/hose bibs/outdoor faucets (notice the straight-long shaft (no bend)):

Frost-Proof Sillcock, 1/2 x 10", Chrome-Plated - - Amazon.com

main-qimg-832b7fbae465ba8339b621bdd372ea57

• (vacuum break on the top of second freeze proof sillcock)
  • They are cheap (as low as $25) and builders should be using them.
  • One last thing - if ice forms on ponds, don't let the kids near them.  It is like a moth to the flame. 

Good luck out there. Check in on those who are homebound and homeless.

And enjoy what winter feels like to most of the country. The best thing about deep freezes is they kill a lot of mosquitos. Not all of them unfortunately. 

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I hated the months where it didn't get above freezing at all.  I hated the windchill that was -30 or worse.  

There are some positives.  I did think it was cool to go outside with wet hair and then snap off pieces of it.   Hockey could be fun.  Ice fishing was fun for a few hours, unless the older folks gave you a beer, then it was cool for a long time.

I loved the houses up there - we had a big ass basement that ran the length of the house.   Lot of people had big-ass basements, and and the ones on our block were stocked with all kinds of games and fridges and stuff - seemed like every weekend, the parents on the block would have all of the kids stay at one family's house, in the basement, with multiple TVs, a shitload of video games (Nintendo NES was still new), shitload of VHS rentals, and all of the pizza and soda that we could handle.  I guess the hosts were afraid parents would get to drinking and try to drive, because as we came in the door  our parents would throw their keys in a fish bowl by the door.  At some point all of the parents would leave, while we were all stuffed full of pizza and soda and our 100th game of Contra or whatever.  The next afternoon, our parents would come and get us.  Some kids claimed to have looked out the windows (normally they were blacked out/covered by these bubble things that kept the snow from being up against the window) and said the parents got so drunk they were going home with the wrong spouses, but whatever.  Like I said, alcoholism was rampant.

Soda?

What the fuck is soda?

9 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Oh, one more thing... I was off... the official low evah! in Austin is -2°.  1949. Stick that in your DeSoto.
I don't think we'll break it.  But it's not out of the realm...

Back more Thurs if necessary.  But I think we're set up now for a pretty good guess as to how the next week will go.

We were stationed at Camp (Fort) Hood then. Our quarters were the old uninsulated barracks buildings built so hastily & shoddIly during WW2 that we could see outside through the cracks in the siding. It was butt-ass cold, and even worse outside.

Not much of an update today except:

The rain today might be a little heavier than eariler predicted.  Most temp models have us going > freezing by 10 a.m. or so (even if barely), so icy conditions aren't expected to be widespread.  However, yeah, between now and say 2 or 3 p.m. ice almost certainly will form around ATX roads.  Drive less if you can.  The freezing precip line is very close to us, probably no more than 30 miles W/NW of us.  Any travel today north past WillieCo and west past Drip or Blanco is going to be risky.  Rain lets off by dinner time, then dry through Friday.

Temps sink each night now through Wed. a.m., each night 2-4 degrees less.  All nights beginning tonight will be freezing, although not a long/hard freeze until maybe Sat. night.  Days will continue just above freezing for us (might actually get a tiny bit warmer daytime on Fri/Sat).  Otherwise all that crap I wrote above still stands.

2 more days until Coldmageddon.

Edited by phdhorn

19 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

We were stationed at Camp (Fort) Hood then. Our quarters were the old uninsulated barracks buildings built so hastily & shoddIly during WW2 that we could see outside through the cracks in the siding. It was butt-ass cold, and even worse outside.

I was outside in -87° wind chill for several hours in Buffalo, NY for a buncha hours.  It was cold.

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

I've never understood what exactly constitutes "yankee", but you'd get a strange look for using the word "soda" where I'm from.  And you'd also get a strange look for calling anything other than Coke "coke".

North of the Red and East of the Sabine. It's pretty simple. There is also the California yankee. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I've never understood what exactly constitutes "yankee", but you'd get a strange look for using the word "soda" where I'm from.  And you'd also get a strange look for calling anything other than Coke "coke".

Basically if you call a carbonated soft drink beverage anything other than a "coke" then you're a yankee.

Pop.  Soda.  Sodapop.  All are yankee terms.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Plus those west of the Rio Grande.

The Southwest proper has a neutral zone. Arizona & NM aren't complete assholes and Nevada is actually kinda cool to party with. It's like an extended West Texas.

Edited by RPM

Big wreck at 620/45 toll near Lakeline.  20+ cars. (Happened w/in last hour).

100+ car pileup, probably multiple deaths, 35 in Ft Worth. (Happened about 6 a.m.

Both involve flyovers.   Driving is not good in elevated areas.  Temps are < freezing pretty much mid-Travis and north/west.  Will stay that way until near lunch time.

7 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

Back in the '80s my dad took me to the "Army hole" off Port O'Connor a couple times, during cold snaps. I wonder if that's still a thing.

Yes.  Also in the ICW and up the Victoria Barge Canal.  On freezing days, we’ve crushed the trout up the Victoria Barge Canal by one of the plants in their ship turn basin, drifting and slowly bouncing off the bottom or even vertical jigging. Not sure if you are still allowed to go all the way up there these days. 

Winter Storm Warning now in effect for Travis, Blanco (already in effect for most of the rest of areas).

Icing can be expected if temps don't get > freezing for awhile.  Biggest threat = freezing rain (rain which falls then freezes on the ground).  Don't drive if you can help it.  More precip moving into area.  Should get abpve freezing by lunch or after, but some areas won't.  Precip out by midnight.

Edited by phdhorn

21 minutes ago, RPM said:

The Southwest proper has a neutral zone. Arizona & NM aren't complete assholes and Nevada is actually kinda cool to party with. It's like an extended West Texas.

I should point out that your previous definition would make some Texans yankees.  I assume that was intentional.

Can we please not turn this into a 6+ day weekend for my kiddos?  I obviously love them (4/7 yo) but the thought of RRISD closed for weather on Friday, then two days off for President’s Day, and possibly more shutdowns on Wednesday...with nowhere to go and nothing for them to do, while I’m supposed to be working...gives me anxiety.  Already have to plan for 3 more ‘asynchronous days for teachers to plan’ that I’m a little bitter about.

/rant

2 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Can we please not turn this into a 6+ day weekend for my kiddos?  I obviously love them (4/7 yo) but the thought of RRISD closed for weather on Friday, then two days off for President’s Day, and possibly more shutdowns on Wednesday...with nowhere to go and nothing for them to do, while I’m supposed to be working...gives me anxiety.  Already have to plan for 3 more ‘asynchronous days for teachers to plan’ that I’m a little bitter about.

/rant

Yes my friend, I have news for you... you're screwed.

Be sure to bolster your whiskey supply for the duration.

So this rain that's about to start here in Austin.  It'll likely softly freeze on the ground tonight.  Will it be gone by tomorrow mid-morning?  Temps are gonna warm up that much (maybe 40), but then it's not gonna hard freeze very long overnight either.  I just want to know if we can get one "normal" day in on Friday before the 4-5 day shitshow starts on Saturday.  I gotta drive out to Lakeway.  Thanks.  

Almost done winterizing everything I can at home.  Except I need more bourbon and gotta get up in the attic to set the tankless water heater recirculating pump.  Maybe I should take some bourbon up there with me because it's already pretty damn cold up there.  Is it too early for bourbon?  

35 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Winter Storm Warning now in effect for Travis, Blanco (already in effect for most of the rest of areas).

Icing can be expected if temps don't get > freezing for awhile.  Biggest threat = freezing rain (rain which falls then freezes on the ground).  Don't drive if you can help it.  More precip moving into area.  Should get abpve freezing by lunch or after, but some areas won't.  Precip out by midnight.

It is 28 outside our kitchen window here in Brushy Creek - 78717. Off & on precipitation and just heard a loud clap of thunder.

we have curbside pickup at the HEB at 11am.

Wrapped our two outside hose bibs with washcloths, put the styrofoam covers on, then wrapped hand towels around those - held on with rubber bands.

we have at least 15” of insulation in the attic installed a a year ago, but I might run an electric space heater in the garage with the stairwell open  - just during the dat. It is currently 58 in the garage.

All devices are charged, including my compact jump start battery, and the Weber propane tank is full.

Apparently there's an >100 car pileup on 35W going on that's now been categorized as a mass casualty event
VaSSdp2.jpg
fucking black ice man. Scary shit.
You surly Dallas-ites stay safe out there

MCI (mass casualty incident) just means that there are more problems/patients than there are resources to deal said problems. At one point the initial arriving battalion chief told dispatch to “send me every truck company available”. That’s almost 30 ladder trucks. Fuck this noise

I'm probably gonna have to re-do 2 of my outside bibs... the rain is soaking and no doubt will seep through and the rag will be wet.  That don't help much.

So I'll wait for the rain to go away and reset tomorrow (the bibs can easily survive a light overnight freeze).

This rain actually has been forecast for a few days, and we got a big dose of it right now in The Cave.  This is the 2nd of 4 fronts going by.  One more tomorrow (a minor one), then the big one that'll allow the polar air down overnight Sat. (the front, not the air - air will get here through the day on Sunday).

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

Temps sink each night now through Wed. a.m., each night 2-4 degrees less.  All nights beginning tonight will be freezing, although not a long/hard freeze until maybe Sat. night.  Days will continue just above freezing for us (might actually get a tiny bit warmer daytime on Fri/Sat).  Otherwise all that crap I wrote above still stands.

Why is Dark Skies telling me it's going to be 9 degrees Monday morning, and 1 degree on Tuesday?  It's showing a good 72 hours of a hard freeze.

Is it just me or has Dark Skies gone to shit lately, and I think I have mentioned that before.

Weather Channel app is showing 14 degrees on Sunday and 11 on Monday.

If it was going to hit 9 degrees and 1 degree, I'd think plumbers were going to be even busier than we are predicting.  Shit, even 11 and 14 will make them plenty busy.

28 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yes my friend, I have news for you... you're screwed.

Be sure to bolster your whiskey supply for the duration.

Yeah I am probably too bitchy about it.  Just we don’t have a formal work holiday until May but between holidays, spring break, staff days and asynchronous days there’s hardly any full school weeks until summer...so I have to plan around all these, kick in snow days and just means working nights to stay up at work.  

As noted in another thread I’m married to a counselor so interact with lots of teachers and hear a lot of bitching...so get resentful when I see all these days they don’t have to work and then have 2.5 months off for summer.  

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Even Pepsis are cokes down here.

"Soda" was not the weirdest terminology when I lived up north, and a bunch of them used "pop" as well, and the first time somebody asked if I wanted a pop, I was like "what the fuck are you doing asking me if I want that in front of other people?

I can actually spot the military areas of North Dakota on this map - I'm pretty sure that yellow area is near Minot.

2012-11-09-Screenshot20121109at3.05.00PM