2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I've noticed this, too.  It seems that "soda" is becoming more of the accepted term among the younger lawyers in my office.

My wife is from New York, and over time I've started adopting "soda" as well.  So I suppose I'm part of the problem.

I do, too.

Of course, my wife is from New York, and over time I've started adopting "soda" as well.  So I suppose I'm part of the problem.

2 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

I'm 47 and have been saying "soda" since I was 10 years old because calling every canned beverage "coke" is fucking stupid.

I say "coke", but I should be saying "soda", because 99% of the time these days, I don't want an actual Coca-Cola.  Or if I do, it's got to be Mexican, not that corn syrup shit that pretends to be Coca-Cola.

12 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Several years before that, when I was in 6th or 7th grade, we had a massive ice storm that knocked out our power for like three days.

I was sick as shit and my parents put the couch in front of the fireplace and kept a fire going.  My Dad went to work every day, though.

Hit New Years Even 1978 according to the intergoogles.

Ha. Now its "it might snow!" Cancel everything!. Thank god and henry ford for global warming. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Made it back and didn’t even have to kill a tauntaun. 

in my 6 years here, we get heavyish snow once or twice a winter, and subzero temps once or twice a winter. For 2-3 days per episode. This is the first time we’ve had both simultaneously. 

For us, brutal cold temps almost always mean dry weather and sunshine.  So it's really, really rare for us to get subzero temps and snow simultaneously.

What's more frequent is a big snowfall happens with moderate temps (somewhere between 20 and 30 Farenheit) and then brutal cold comes in the next day.  And then we won't see snow again until warms.

1978 Correct.  We had just been married a month and bought a house in Waco. Ice split a nice live oak tree in the front yard  in half.  In-laws in Dallas were without power for two weeks.  If memory is worth a crap, Joe Montana and Notre Dame beat UH in the ice Cotton Bowl.

Edited by deter
slow
  • Hook 'Em 1

We go over this all the time on here, but Texan Millennials use the word soda often. We do use "Coke" too, but it's one of those things that I think is slowly dying out. You never hear pop here though. 

I’ve switched to soda. Probably started in jr high when I asked for a coke, and instead of asking me what kind, they gave me a coke. I wanted a sprite.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Up to at least 8,000 in Austin without power.

Meanwhile, parents all over the state are yelling at the school districts

tenor.gif

My daughter works for Austin Energy and said it's up to 30,000.  Gonna be a long shift for her.

2 hours ago, CHIEF said:

That was a real brutal winter, but not the coldest temperature that I remembered. I had to look up the record low for Clifton, Texas, and it was 1989. I was an aircraft mechanic at the time, and working my way through college. I was in the FBO hanger, and the doors closed, pulling the seats out of a Grumman Cheetah. The work was delicate enough that you couldn't wear gloves to do it. My boss was somewhere else, and I was the only one there. My hands were numb, and I could work about 10 minutes before I would have to go run them under warm water, soon that 10 became 8, then 5 minutes, finally I just couldn't do it anymore. There was a temperature gauge mounted in the windshield, when I looked at it, it was sitting smack-dab on Zero. That day it got down to -3 degrees for the all time record low. I had to drive home in my old Ford Bronco, the thermostat had frozen up, so I had just pulled off the cover, and tossed it, then put the cover back on a few weeks before. No heater for about a 30 minute drive home, also the back window motor had gone out with the window about halfway down.

CHIEF

1983 was a brutal December and it carried over into January.   I was 12 years old living down in the McAllen area and it was the freeze that pretty much wiped out a large chunk of the citrus industry and the tropical landscape.   Then we had another freeze even around Christmas of 1989  of similar duration and intensity that wiped out what was left and many of those farmers sold their land to what is now some of the RGV's prime  and not so prime real estate depending on location.   A lot of the  growth areas in North McAllen, Edinburg and Mission were once miles and miles of Citrus trees.   When I go home, I miss see that stuff along with the palm trees that were part of the skyline that you were only matched by palms in Southern California.  

Edited by Nueces River Rat

damn just seeing the weekend frocast for ATX. in my centigrades its showing as a -10 and -15 sunday and monday. WTF. thats what like 15F and 10F or something? thats crazy. coldest I remember it ever getting at my casa in '23 was 17F or so. and my pipes froze but thankfully didn't burst.

ya'll homies be safe. thats pipe busting weather. hope the daytime temps come over freezing

We did the 5 minute drive to our CVS to pick up my meds at the drive thru. All the trees are loaded down with ice and many branches cracking off, even some on our street. On the way back the westbound traffic was stopped because half a large tree in the divided median had split off, blocking the roadway. A couple of motorists were attempting to drag it out of the way, but it looked too massive plus being weighted down with ice. Thankfully it had not fallen on a car.
We had just passed by that way 15 minutes before.
Guess we will just hunker down at home for a week (did the HEB curbside pickup this morning)

On my son’s street a mile away in Brushy Creek a tree branch brought down a power line and the transformer blew up. So no power for them until it is replaced. We invited them to stay here, but they prefer to go to a hotel in necessary.

13 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Yeah I have a feeling this is going to be a very long weekend, maybe thru Wednesday of remote/closures.  

Yeah, I don't see how they send the kids to school if it's in the teens.  Traffic is a nightmare right now, and it's not fully freezing all over Austin just yet.

And that's assuming everybody has power tomorrow or Tuesday.

We're in South Austin and it's almost freezing now but doesn't look like it's going to get much below 31 or so until Friday night.  Does it make sense to cover outside faucets/pipes, drip interior faucets now or does that probably not need to happen until we get down into the 20's tomorrow night?  i typically don't do anything if it's just a light freeze for a few hours.  was planning on waiting until tomorrow   

Up to 40K now w/o power in ATX.  Mostly branches taking down lines.

Temps will hold steady all night, either side of, or at, freezing.  Makes forecasting tough.

With luck the area will go above freezing Fri, but I doubt a good amount will.  The coldest air should still hold off until the next weaker disturbance passes Sat evening/Sun morning.  Then it's on.

Some parts of the area might have started into what could be over 140 hours straight of < 32° - probably up through Wed afternoon.  That's even unusual for 85% of the U.S.

16 minutes ago, Gale Snoats said:

We're in South Austin and it's almost freezing now but doesn't look like it's going to get much below 31 or so until Friday night.  Does it make sense to cover outside faucets/pipes, drip interior faucets now or does that probably not need to happen until we get down into the 20's tomorrow night?  i typically don't do anything if it's just a light freeze for a few hours.  was planning on waiting until tomorrow   

Given how much the forecasts are all over the place, I'd take care of that shit now, and not later.

Several years before that, when I was in 6th or 7th grade, we had a massive ice storm that knocked out our power for like three days.
I was sick as shit and my parents put the couch in front of the fireplace and kept a fire going.  My Dad went to work every day, though.
Hit New Years Even 1978 according to the intergoogles.

I remember that. Was living in Denton. By midnight there was about a 1/2 inch of solid ice on the streets. So weird because it was as smooth and clear as a pane of glass.

“New Year's Eve 1978 was the worst ice storm in North Texas in three decades, producing ice accumulations up to 2 inches thick in a 100 mile-wide swath from just west of Waco to Paris, Texas.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

KXAN has Austin with a high of 19 on Monday, and a low of 7.

No way many pipes survive that.

yeah man this is a pipe buster no doubt. at 17 or 19, two different times in ATX my shit froze. solid as a fucking rock and i did tons of prep and even woke up middle of the night a few times to gun the water. granted i was pier and beam though

7? 

I know your 7. but you gonna be 7 year walking the dog no house err pipes having motherfucka

Edited by staboner

Saw one forecast with Austin getting down to 3 on Monday night.  Saw one forecast for 1 inch of snow Monday and another for 7 inches.  They're just making up numbers at this point.

If I were a meteorologist, I would just stand in front of a green screen showing Samuel L Jackson's "Stay the Fuck at Home" youtube poem.

Edited by TexArcher

25 minutes ago, staboner said:

yeah man this is a pipe buster no doubt. at 17 or 19, two different times in ATX my shit froze. solid as a fucking rock and i did tons of prep and even woke up middle of the night a few times to gun the water. granted i was pier and beam though

7? 

I know your 7. but you gonna be 7 year walking the dog no house err pipes having motherfucka

Yeah I’m wondering if it makes sense to shut off the valve on Sunday, drain the pipes, and just go without running water for a day.

• Hook 'Em 1