2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, I don't see how they send the kids to school if it's in the teens.  Traffic is a nightmare right now, and it's not fully freezing all over Austin just yet.

And that's assuming everybody has power tomorrow or Tuesday.

It won’t be that cold by Wednesday, when they are supposed to go back. Current forecast shows more freezing rain in the morning, so that’s what I’m assuming will close down on campus again.  Will be dying for everyone to get out of the house in a week.  

14 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Yeah I’m wondering if it makes sense to shut off the valve on Sunday, drain the pipes, and just go without running water for a day.

It it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down?

Seriously, considering the same.  One day of modest discomfort seems a small price to pay to avoid any headache coming from a once in a multi generation freeze. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

And Spectrum internet is out in 78727. Stranded in the house, no entertainment options. And we're out of alcohol. I don't like where this is headed. 

How in the hell did you run out of alcohol??  The event is still 3 days away for Houston and I've already stocked up.  Rookie mistake.

source.gif&f=1&nofb=1

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Lerka Lerka said:

I’m sure this surprised no one. 

What can I say, it's what your wife bought me.  It was an all you can drink kiwi-strawberry fuck buffet...in an order that would surprise you.  ;)

Having said that...It's starting to look like the mid-day warmup might not take care of this accumulation of ice?  

I live in a two story house, poured foundation.  I’m assuming y’all draining the pipes live pier and beam?  Almost all of my bathroom and kitchen water lines are interior, and I believe run underground / through the slab.  

I’m worried about the outside spigots, not sure those foam covers will be enough for 7 fuckin degrees...wrap a towel as well?  Drip?

Outdoor kitchen I disconnected the water lines to the sink, let them drain then wrapped foam over the two lines leading from the wall. They’re somewhat protected back there with no wind up against the house...not sure what else to do.  

2 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I’m worried about the outside spigots, not sure those foam covers will be enough for 7 fuckin degrees...wrap a towel as well?  Drip?

I put a couple of those insulated sleeves over the spigots, and then put the cover over that.  If I didn't have the sleeves, I would wrap in towel to take up the air space and then put the cover over the top. 

3 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I live in a two story house, poured foundation.  I’m assuming y’all draining the pipes live pier and beam?

I have slab. But our pipes are not very deep. In parts of our house, the hot water pipes radiate heat through the tile floor. We also have exposed pipes on the exterior. 

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

@BrickHorn, I do wonder if maybe shutting the water off at the meter could create a problem with still water in the meter freezing up, instead keeping things flowing with dripping or some other approach. Not a lot of insulation under our meter covers. 

I hear you. But that seems like the city’s problem. I’d rather have a pipe burst in the yard by the street instead of in the walls or under the foundation. 

But I’ve never dealt with this shit before, so can’t say what the best option is. 

6 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Almost all of my bathroom and kitchen water lines are interior, and I believe run underground / through the slab.  I’m worried about the outside spigots, not sure those foam covers will be enough for 7 fuckin degrees...wrap a towel as well?  Drip?

i'm waiting til it dries out before i wrap and cover with insulated bag.  i think it'd be pointless to wrap now with ice and have it melt, get wet, and then refreeze.

9 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I live in a two story house, poured foundation.  I’m assuming y’all draining the pipes live pier and beam?  Almost all of my bathroom and kitchen water lines are interior, and I believe run underground / through the slab.  

Outdoor kitchen I disconnected the water lines to the sink, let them drain then wrapped foam over the two lines leading from the wall. They’re somewhat protected back there with no wind up against the house...not sure what else to do.  

If folks have pier and beam, their outboard toilets, showers, and sinks, particularly those to the north and east may need some extra attention.  

Outside spigots...don't do anything tonight but a standard foam faucet cover.  It's too damp and freeze won't be too hard tonight.  Tomorrow though, stuff a towel fresh from the dryer into the foam cover and then affix that to your spigot.  Wrap another larger one around the outside and keep in place with bungee cord or even household rope.  Rewarm and rewrap 'em on Monday or Tuesday again.  

Good call on disconnecting the lines to outdoor sink.  If you can blow it out, I'd do that tomorrow or Saturday.  Unless you have a backflow or an angle to the pipes.  But usually those things are built level/flush and that could be a problem this weekend.  

Another cheap tip for folks is $4 worth of weather stripping if you have outside doors from/to your garage.  Not the door to your house, but if you have one to the backyard/sideyard.  We have two.  Just decided to shut it all down and cut some some stripping to put all along the top and where the door meets the frame (hinge side and bottom should be fine already). Just stuff it in there (that's what she said) and affix with some plain ole painter's tape to keep it in place, probably have to re-do every couple days for the next week.  That simple step will probably preserve 5 degrees in the garage each day so I can put a warmer on any pipes, drink bourbon, and test the wi-fi.  

Edited by Lobo

Y'all, I came home to no power and per the neighbor it was  out about 30 minutes from that point. I've been home since about 5:15 and it is still out. I dripped my outside faucets, and found some candles. I don't know where my propane lantern for camping is but I'm hoping I dont need it.  I luckily have a gas stove so I can cook. 

I also have some cedar trees near my drive way and those bitches were bending from the weight of the ice so much, I moved my truck that lives outside. The older cedar trees are losing big limbs and I imagine that might be why we lost electricity. This is no longer fun and I already drank my wine. I don't think HEB is open so I am doomed. Please send your thoughts and drunken belches my way. 

Edited by burntorangebongos
  • Hook 'Em 6

"Thoughts and Drunken Beaches" by the great Jimmy Buffett.  Heading your way, brother.  

Don't bother with a propane lantern indoors considering you already drank all your wine.  Not a great combo.  Make some soup, charge your phone/flashlight in your truck, and uh, you know...call some chicks to snuggle.  

Yeah.  I was walking at that point as it had just started coming down pretty hard.  Then I looked around and realized there's nothing tall between that flagpole, me and the stoplight.   Got my ass moving pretty quick after that.   

Sounds like you live near my hood. That flash of lightning was surreal with all the ice raining down.

17 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Y'all, I came home to no power and per the neighbor it was  out about 30 minutes from that point. I've been home since about 5:15 and it is still out. I dripped my outside faucets, and found some candles. I don't know where my propane lantern for camping is but I'm hoping I dont need it.  I luckily have a gas stove so I can cook. 

I also have some cedar trees near my drive way and those bitches were bending from the weight of the ice so much, I moved my truck that lives outside. The older cedar trees are losing big limbs and I imagine that might be why we lost electricity. This is no longer fun and I already drank my wine. I don't think HEB is open so I am doomed. Please send your thoughts and drunken beaches my way. 

How does this even happen?? We've been talking about this for over a week.  Why do you people think I post these warnings? 

Tons of fun here in Cedar Park. Lost power at 3:30. We're PEC and all cables are buried so the rare time it goes out it's normally up within 10 minutes. Nope. Three hours today. At least the gas fireplace kept us warm. Helped some neighbors clear limbs that were blocking their driveways. Made chili by flashlight, and cornbread on the Weber. Power came on just before dinner, then dropped out again for 45 minutes. On again now so hopefully it stays up. My friend 2 blocks down never had a flicker.

Stay safe & warm, everyone. Hoping like hell the pipe buster doesn't hit Monday. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I am going to waste an amazing amount of water from Sunday forward. I dealt with busted pipes once. Never again.

This is where I'm at.  Clearly never been a home owner with something like this.  I have a slab foundation and don't know of any exposed pipes other than outdoor faucets.  Wrapped those with foam cover but before real stuff hits I guess will probably wrap towels around as well and maybe do the hot towel inside thing someone mentioned.  I mean is there anything to do other than keep water moving nonstop?

In Galveston with pier in beam in a house built in 1888.  Insulation in the walls and attic flooring, but pipes under the house and in the attic aren’t insulated. 
we are only expected to drop to 27 down here so hopefully ill be fine with water dripping at all faucets and heat turned up.  

hopefully. 

21 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

What’s your plan? Draining? Or letting the water run?

10 minutes ago, Skipper said:

This is where I'm at.  Clearly never been a home owner with something like this.  I have a slab foundation and don't know of any exposed pipes other than outdoor faucets.  Wrapped those with foam cover but before real stuff hits I guess will probably wrap towels around as well and maybe do the hot towel inside thing someone mentioned.  I mean is there anything to do other than keep water moving nonstop?

All interior faucets running. I filled the hose bib covers with spray foam for total sealant. I capped the spigot first... I am going to make my family suffer the heater being turned wayyyyt up and I am going to pray it doesn't happen again. I spent close to 20k dealing with water damage before, great insurance!, never again. I am taking this fucker to 11.

Edit: if draining were an option I would do that in a heartbeat. My supply line is comically shallow so I am going to make sure to move water through it as best I can. It will cost less than $100 to make sure I don't spend thousands. Idgaf.

Edited by HOOKEM4
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Just so you know, it's not moving water so much as not having pressure build as the ice forms.  If the water can escape someplace, the frozen water won't apply pressure to the pipes.

Think of a jar near full of water in the freezer.  If it's capped, it's gonna burst.  If the top is open, the water and ice are just going to spill out the top.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Tons of fun here in Cedar Park. Lost power at 3:30. We're PEC and all cables are buried so the rare time it goes out it's normally up within 10 minutes. Nope. Three hours today. At least the gas fireplace kept us warm. Helped some neighbors clear limbs that were blocking their driveways. Made chili by flashlight, and cornbread on the Weber. Power came on just before dinner, then dropped out again for 45 minutes. On again now so hopefully it stays up. My friend 2 blocks down never had a flicker.

Stay safe & warm, everyone. Hoping like hell the pipe buster doesn't hit Monday. 

You must live less than a mile from me. had the exact same sequence.

lots of limbs down, fortunately we moved vehicles out of harms way and nothing is threatening the roof/eaves. I imagine I’ll get some knocks on my door tomorrow to help chainsaw some shit up for neighbors. 

I was in the middle of heating up leftovers on the stove and the shit came back on and thought we were set. Then out again while we tried to do the bedtime routine for the kiddo. Then back on and it’s been steady since. Fingers crossed it doesn’t go out again while i shower (mid butt scrub knowing my luck). 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I also have some indoor propane heaters to rotate pumping heat on the interior wall opposite the outside spigots just in case. Overkill is the game and I will win it. Fuck winter, save money.

your prep game is scrong. i applaud and would like to subscribe to your newsletters