Deion Sanders "Coach Prime" Now At Colorado

Don Johnson

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Most folks on here and in life don't watch a ton of actual football. They watch their teams. If we could give the football board a truth serum and have them answer the question: "Who is the Arizona Head Football Coach?", 98+% of the board would answer incorrectly or simply stare at you like Bevis and Butthead when confronted with a Billie Eilish video.

I asked a table of buddies that question early in the 2022 season, including a guy that is a regular here, who all watch a ton of CFB each season, and not one of them could answer that question correctly. That same issue is probably true now and I would bet a mortgage payment on them and everyone here not knowing the name of the ASU HC right now. Hell, I don't even remember the name of the Sacto State guy at Stanford now and I pay attention. 

I do think your USC bias is showing when you rank Wazzou as an even-ish game. To you, they're a team that anyone should beat. To this CU program, they should considered the favorite in that game. They played well last year for most of the season. USC kind of blew them out and then they didn't close well, but they were a bowl team and the Dickert dude seems like a good fit for Pullman. CU going to Pullman for a Friday night game late in the season seems like a tough haul. Shitty trip with no depth on a weird night doesn't seem conducive for pulling that one out.

Right, I get most fans don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of coaches and returning starters and year over year trends throughout the entire sport.  Bullshitting around is one thing, but once you start betting money it's prudent to do at least some research on the teams involved with your bet.  When I take that approach with my sports gambling I do a lot better than when I just roll with gut feelings and bravado and drunken impulses.

Of the 4 games I described as most winnable for Colorado Washington State is definitely the best opponent on that list.  I didn't break it down because I was already getting into essay territory with my post, but I do think they're a cut or two above the other three teams I grouped alongside them.  I'm just not sold on them being good enough to bump them out of the winnable tier.  In order of most to least likely wins among the Buffs' winnable games I'd go Colorado State, Stanford, ASU and WSU.  One thing Colorado has going for them in that matchup is the Cougs are a pass-first team, which plays to the Buff's defensive strength and away from their weakness, and their QB isn't a threat to run.  Any QB who needs to pass it 35+ times per game and has an off day against Colorado next year will be in trouble.  Wazzou is an extremely volatile program, which is another reason I included them in the winnable category.  They might beat Colorado by 4 TDs, they might choke away a 4 TD lead in the second half then lose in OT, they might mount a 4 TD comeback in the second half, they might get blown out.  You never know what the hell to expect from them, especially at home.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

CTJ basically said the same thing i did, with a more in depth explanation.

He left a lot of if/ wiggle room type statements. Your reply seemed to indicate you hadn't looked at all into what CU was doing on the "bringing in" front and only looked at who was entering the portal. Hence my interpretation you hadn't really looked into what you were talking about. Which is fine for a school you don't follow. 

57 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

He will be leaving after 2 winning seasons.

What the fuck does this mean, he can't tell us yet? That makes no fucking sense at all.

When he’s tampering with players who haven’t entered the portal yet, of course he can’t talk about them. Come on. That’s obvious. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Well there are lots of college athletes saying coach Prime is an asshole. My kids had some great coaches and some really shitty coaches with terrible personalities anywhere from little league to college. Yet, even the shitty ones would eventually give them a starting spot. Every one of my kids got the same advice when they complained. I would tell them that coaches love one thing over everything and that is winning. I would say make it impossible for the coach to ignore your contributions during practice with relentless effort and a great attitude even if they are pieces of shit. Maybe the inherited players did not get a fair shot but more than likely they did not rise above being ignored either since I am sure if they had they would have not been asked to leave.
The other side of the coin is that kids that bust their ass with great attitudes know they can do better and will leave an asshole coach behind. It looks like both type players are leaving Colorado.

This is an interesting post and not sure how to feel about it.

You handed out some solid advice. But damn if I haven’t seen and heard of what I view as complete coaching dumbassery that runs a bit counter to that.

There likely is an element that they did not rise far enough above it. But also a very good chance it would require a hell of an effort.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

I think it means he lets the kids announce.  That's always been his MO.  Buffs got 3 transfer commits today (2 from FSU).

Or, it’s salesmanship similar to what we see with bellcows in recruiting when they’re talking up getting errrrybody and in reality they’re trying to convince some of the guys to pick the school they’re committed to already. It looks a whole fucking lot like that. 

The guys from FSU are first rate JAGs. Who was the other guy today? Was it a difference maker? If this is the kind of talent he’s landing for the rest of this window, you and the other fanbois should light your cigarettes already, because you’re fucked. 

• Haha 1

There may have been some of that, too.  But for the kids who didn't immediately jump in the portal when he got hired, they got a chance to compete and see if they can be contributors.  For most the answer was no, but they got that opportunity.

I doubt they got seriously viewed.

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Or, it’s salesmanship similar to what we see with bellcows in recruiting when they’re talking up getting errrrybody and in reality they’re trying to convince some of the guys to pick the school they’re committed to already. It looks a whole fucking lot like that. 

The guys from FSU are first rate JAGs. Who was the other guy today? Was it a difference maker? If this is the kind of talent he’s landing for the rest of this window, you and the other fanbois should light your cigarettes already, because you’re fucked. 

I get what you’re saying, but it’s certainly possible that the JAG’s are better than the flaming dogshit that was previously on the team.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Fucked worse than they were last year? I mean, I'm pretty fuckin' far from okay about what Deion is doing here and 100% expect to see him flame out badly, but JAGs would be an improvement.

20 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

I get what you’re saying, but it’s certainly possible that the JAG’s are better than the flaming dogshit that was previously on the team.

I'll have you know that the flaming dogshit squad lost to the # 5 ranked Fightin' Texum Bulldogs 10-7.  Need a Texum/Prime matchup.

24 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

I'll have you know that the flaming dogshit squad lost to the # 5 ranked Fightin' Texum Bulldogs 10-7.  Need a Texum/Prime matchup.

Lost to an SEC team? Go ahead and put it in the win column. Prime needs 3 now

11 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

Thanks for sharing The Athletic articles here and saving a few of us $1.50/mo.

What a dick move by Coach Prime, cutting a legacy kid like Gray after the spring game. 

I wonder if he even knew who he was?  He might end up regretting that when the kid talks about how much alumni support he is getting.

I think his supporters will have to be patient, next year will not be a quick turnaround. But beyond that...

I think genuine, non-ironic supporters of CU/Prime are more than happy to give it a few years. (I am an ironic Prime-lover. This is the most entertaining coaching story, to me, in a long time.)

For every 1 person who actually believes Colorado is going to be great immediately, there are 1,000 Internet participants saying, "I can't believe so many people think Colorado is going to be great immediately! Oh man they're so stupid!"

And a 1:1000 ratio might be conservative on my part. It's probably closer to 1:10,000 or 1:100,000.

Athlon says they'll finish 11th out of 12
Mike Farrell says they'll be 6-6
247 predicts 4-8
collegefootballnews says 3-9
USAToday says 5-7

There were 47k at their Spring game. How many of even THOSE people genuinely, honestly believe they're contending for the Pac-12 in 2023? 10%?

11 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

11 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Fucked worse than they were last year? I mean, I'm pretty fuckin' far from okay about what Deion is doing here and 100% expect to see him flame out badly, but JAGs would be an improvement.

11 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
11 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

This is the point that far too many don't seem to get.

Most people, including me, don’t give one shit about outperformance of a dogshit prior team. No shit the expectation is that this season’s team will be better. There isn’t a coaching hire made in sports in which that isn’t the expectation. It’s a ridiculous position to argue against. What Chewy and others here have been espousing, and there’s no running from the takes in this thread, is that the big time isn’t far away and the 2023 season is going to be trending towards, or actually, a winning year. 

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

On 4/25/2023 at 10:02 PM, Dennis Taylor said:

Deion Sanders is an all time hall of fame narcissist and garbage human being. He couldn't even start or run high school programs without both ending in scandal and failure. It might take 6 months or it might take 3 years but this will experiment will go up in flames sooner or later. 

And really classy not giving kids he forced to transfer access to their film

At least they changed course and are now giving out the film to those they cut:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/36297854/colorado-give-transferring-players-access-practice-film

14 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

What the fuck does this mean, he can't tell us yet? That makes no fucking sense at all.

It's the rules.

the_rules1.jpg

The player can say anything he wants. The coaching staff can't even confirm that the player exists until they're officially a signee. That's why you see players announcing they're committed to a school, but you don't see the school even mention their names on social media until they have the commitment signed and in hand. 

Late edit: There was a little kerfuffle at Baylor a few years ago when a high school kid tweeted he'd committed to Baylor and Baylor hadn't offered. They couldn't say anything on social media, so had to suggest to a couple of recruiting analysts to ask the kid straight up if he'd received an offer. 

Edited by Richard Kimball
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Most people, including me, don’t give one shit about outperformance of a dogshit prior team. No shit the expectation is that this season’s team will be better. There isn’t a coaching hire made in sports in which that isn’t the expectation. It’s a ridiculous position to argue against. What Chewy and others here have been espousing, and there’s no running from the takes in this thread, is that the big time isn’t far away and the 2023 season is going to be trending towards, or actually, a winning year. 

Yeah, but they’re retarded so why even dignify them with a response.

14 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I saw them throw a slant pass to a doughy white slot receiver with a potbelly in the spring game that looked like a walk on center. That slant pass landed 3 yards behind him. This was the second team offense. 

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No shit? You’ve got a strong literal grasp of our language, Dr. Spock. It’s just unfortunate that you can’t actually follow conversational intent due to your overwhelming instinct towards pedantry. 

Or you could quit beating a dead horse. Or at least minimize the stupid comments of you must persist 

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I'm basically expecting this to be a pyrite hire -- just enough success to think it's gold, but it's not.

We're all too familiar with that kind of guy... remember John Mackovic?