Deion Sanders "Coach Prime" Now At Colorado

Don Johnson

On 4/23/2023 at 11:18 AM, Sawbonz said:

He's got legit coordinators. He hates to lose. They have speed on offense but not great on either line and no depth. I think they will be close to 500 and fun to watch. Hoping for a win against TCU for the lulz 

He’s got a few guys with speed. They’re severely undersized for p5 level. 

46 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Why would we be mad at 4-8?  CU was the worst P5 team last year.  4 wins is a huge step up.  I'm projecting 6 wins, but we'll see.

If Colorado's schedule was more evenly distributed instead of heavily frontloaded I think you'd be a lot more likely to reach 4-8.  It's tough to recover from a 1-4 or 0-5 tailspin.  Colorado has a brutal September.

-at TCU

-Nebraska

-Colorado State

-at Oregon

-USC

That would be a rough way to kick off the season for a top 25 team.  For a program at rock bottom it's murderer's row.  Colorado will start off with a lot of hype and excitement, but getting your ass handed to you for a month to open the season would end all of that in a hurry.  TCU won't be as good or as lucky in 2023 as they were in 2022, but they're a ranked team.  Coaching was a much bigger problem than talent for Nebraska lately and now they have a competent head coach.  Colorado State is terrible too, but it's still a rivalry game that CSU will treat as their Super Bowl.  It's sandwiched in between other big games so a letdown in your most winnable early game is possible (there's a reason SEC teams almost never play back to back big regular season games).  Colorado not being run out of the stadium by halftime against Oregon or USC would be a moral victory.

The schedule eases up after September, but there still isn't anybody the rest of the season Colorado should be favored to beat except maybe Stanford.  It's in Boulder, those nerds have an unproven new coach and Shaw didn't leave much in the cupboard.  Another factor to consider is that unlike past years your opponents will actually give a fuck about playing Colorado because of the Prime circus and the recruiting competition he is bringing.  The Buffs aren't catching anyone sleepwalking into the game and treating it as a scrimmage like cellar teams usually benefit from a couple times a year.

I'm predicting 2-3 wins for Colorado in 2023.  The wins will come from some combination of Colorado State, Arizona State, Stanford and Washington State.  Best chance for an upset of a ranked team is Oregon State.  Colorado gets them at home and I'm not sold DJ Ugleleleley (sp) will be any better there than he was at Clemson.  The Beavers don't out-talent opponents, they out-discipline and out-tough them, which means anyone who can match their discipline and toughness has a shot.  Colorado can play a well-coached game, hope Oregon State's bust QB has a rough day against Colorado's secondary and we'll see what happens.

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, Trojan Man said:

If Colorado's schedule was more evenly distributed instead of heavily frontloaded I think you'd be a lot more likely to reach 4-8.  It's tough to recover from a 1-4 or 0-5 tailspin.  Colorado has a brutal September.

-at TCU

-Nebraska

-Colorado State

-at Oregon

-USC

That would be a rough way to kick off the season for a top 25 team.  For a program at rock bottom it's murderer's row.  Colorado will start off with a lot of hype and excitement, but getting your ass handed to you for a month to open the season would end all of that in a hurry.  TCU won't be as good or as lucky in 2023 as they were in 2022, but they're a ranked team.  Coaching was a much bigger problem than talent for Nebraska lately and now they have a competent head coach.  Colorado State is terrible too, but it's still a rivalry game that CSU will treat as their Super Bowl.  It's sandwiched in between other big games so a letdown in your most winnable early game is possible (there's a reason SEC teams almost never play back to back big regular season games).  Colorado not being run out of the stadium by halftime against Oregon or USC would be a moral victory.

The schedule eases up after September, but there still isn't anybody the rest of the season Colorado should be favored to beat except maybe Stanford.  It's in Boulder, those nerds have an unproven new coach and Shaw didn't leave much in the cupboard.  Another factor to consider is that unlike past years your opponents will actually give a fuck about playing Colorado because of the Prime circus and the recruiting competition he is bringing.  The Buffs aren't catching anyone sleepwalking into the game and treating it as a scrimmage like cellar teams usually benefit from a couple times a year.

I'm predicting 2-3 wins for Colorado in 2023.  The wins will come from some combination of Colorado State, Arizona State, Stanford and Washington State.  Best chance for an upset of a ranked team is Oregon State.  Colorado gets them at home and I'm not sold DJ Ugleleleley (sp) will be any better there than he was at Clemson.  The Beavers don't out-talent opponents, they out-discipline and out-tough them, which means anyone who can match their discipline and toughness has a shot.  Colorado can play a well-coached game, hope Oregon State's bust QB has a rough day against Colorado's secondary and we'll see what happens.

Nebraska sucks and just fired their coach.  And CSU was worse than CU last year (they just aren't a P5 team).  Oregon and SC are Oregon and SC.  And TCU will likely be a loss.  But I think the Buffs will win 1 or 2 they're not supposed to win.  We'll see.  They'll be much improved over last year no matter what happens.  They actually have P5 playmakers on the team now, and more are coming.

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Nebraska sucks and just fired their coach.  And CSU was worse than CU last year (they just aren't a P5 team).  Oregon and SC are Oregon and SC.  And TCU will likely be a loss.  But I think the Buffs will win 1 or 2 they're not supposed to win.  We'll see.  They'll be much improved over last year no matter what happens.  They actually have P5 playmakers on the team now, and more are coming.

Nebraska fired a bad coach and replaced him with a better coach, same as Colorado.  Rhule doesn't have a habit of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory like Frost did.  Nebraska's roster situation also wasn't as dire as Colorado's, especially along the LOS.  I'm not saying Colorado has no hope in that game but a Buff win over Corn is an upset.  I think Colorado should beat Colorado State, but there are enough reasons for me to not carve that outcome into stone just yet.

Colorado will be better.  However, they're not in a 7 on 7 league.  A few playmakers at QB and WR and DB won't carry the team all by themselves.  There will be games where your offensive line gets dominated and your skill players can't get anything going.  There will also be games where your DBs get bored because the other team just runs the ball for 5-10 yards every play the entire game.  Fixing a bad OL and DL takes more than one offseason because God only made so many men who are 300+ lbs, athletic enough to play competitive sports and mean/deranged enough to want to give and take beatings every week.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Trojan Man said:

Nebraska fired a bad coach and replaced him with a better coach, same as Colorado.  Rhule doesn't have a habit of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory like Frost did.  Nebraska's roster situation also wasn't as dire as Colorado's, especially along the LOS.  I'm not saying Colorado has no hope in that game but a Buff win over Corn is an upset.  I think Colorado should beat Colorado State, but there are enough reasons for me to not carve that outcome into stone just yet.

Colorado will be better.  However, they're not in a 7 on 7 league.  A few playmakers at QB and WR and DB won't carry the team all by themselves.  There will be games where your offensive line gets dominated and your skill players can't get anything going.  There will also be games where your DBs get bored because the other team just runs the ball for 5-10 yards every play the entire game.  Fixing a bad OL and DL takes more than one offseason because God only made so many men who are 300+ lbs, athletic enough to play competitive sports and mean/deranged enough to want to give and take beatings every week.

You might be right, and you might be wrong.  We'll see.  They've got more DL and OL coming in, though.  

Holy shit...

"Fast forward to the time of this writing and more than 40 players from last year’s Colorado team — which finished 1-11 — have entered the transfer portal. The second transfer portal window opened April 15, and nearly 30 Buffs have entered the portal in the time since. Of that group of transfers, 18 players opted to transfer since the conclusion of Saturday’s spring game at Folsom Field, which aired on ESPN and drew more than 47,000 fans despite the snowy conditions."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/colorado-roster-overhaul-under-deion-sanders-continues-as-nearly-20-players-enter-transfer-portal-after-spring-game/ar-AA1ahGa1

Edited by LTtxfan

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

the fuck Deion going to do?

Most everyone he gets from the portal now are rejects being told to gtfo after the spring games. Is filling a team full of rejects better than the 1-11 team the he took over? Probably, but by how much?

I don't think you understand how bad this team was.  Yes, the rejects are better than the guys leaving the team.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

the fuck Deion going to do?

Most everyone he gets from the portal now are rejects being told to gtfo after the spring games. Is filling a team full of rejects better than the 1-11 team the he took over? Probably, but by how much?

It doesnt matter. Anything is better than the shit they trotted out last season. If the new guys suck he can toss them back in the portal and start again.

• Hook 'Em 1

aggy is having to fill their roster with Rice and whatever shitty schools their qb and lb portals are from. Deion has to fill a whole got damned team. I hope he has better luck than aggy. Something tells me Rice, Jackson St and their ilk do not have better players than last year's shit Colorado team, maybe I'm wrong.

9 hours ago, Vertigo said:

It doesnt matter. Anything is better than the shit they trotted out last season. If the new guys suck he can toss them back in the portal and start again.

Get to go play for an unproven coach and get blamed if things don't work out? Sign me up!

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

I’m not convinced Corn is going to be great or even average under Rhule in year one.  When he gets the criminals in like he did at Baylor then Nebraska will be back.

I don't think Nebraska will ever be back.

The Big 12 nixed Prop 48/partial qualifiers, which was a sticking point leading to their decline. B1G doesn't accept them either. Where are they getting recruits these days? I don't care enough about Corn to look.

• Hook 'Em 1

Like everyone here, I have no idea if Colorado will be improved this fall.

Regardless, I absolutely love what Coach Prime is doing there. He is an innovative marketer who understands how to leverage his personal brand for recruiting purposes. I'd say getting a fulI stadium for a nationally talked-about spring game at Colorado in five months is a huge win. I wish them success. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

Like everyone here, I have no idea if Colorado will be improved this fall.

Regardless, I absolutely love what Coach Prime is doing there. He is an innovative marketer who understands how to leverage his personal brand for recruiting purposes. I'd say getting a fulI stadium for a nationally talked-about spring game at Colorado in five months is a huge win. I wish them success. 

They had more people than last year, but not a full stadium. Prime has a lot of charisma and he has brought unprecedented levels of volatility and raised expectations. They could very easily start this season 1-4. If they lose their 6th game on the road at AZ State, things could get really ugly really quick for Deion.

11 hours ago, Blotto said:

The question is really how fast can Colorado get their NIL machine up and running? If you cant get the $$, you wont get much in the way of elite talent. But if they figure that piece out, Deion will fill out that roster nicely. 

So, you have 70 guys leave. It's going to take a lot of NIL money to fill 70 spots. Everyone is going to want to get paid. 

11 minutes ago, Deej said:

So, you have 70 guys leave. It's going to take a lot of NIL money to fill 70 spots. Everyone is going to want to get paid. 

Agreed, but how is that any different in Boulder than at any of the other schools that aspire to be in the upper echelon of college football. If the athletic department didnt think that part through, they wasted their time hiring Deion. It wont happen overnight, but they better make sure its happening 6 or 12 months down the road. 

Edited by Blotto

Telling your players to GTFO is fine, if you have a plan to upgrade all positions. I'm not sure how tf he's going to fill out a 85 man roster before next season, much less upgrading it. And if he does, he has one fall camp to get them ready for new coaches and systems. This season is going to be UGLY.

And then the players he brings in this year know that they are merely stop gaps because he was rushed to fill a roster. 

14 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

I’m not convinced Corn is going to be great or even average under Rhule in year one.  When he gets the criminals in like he did at Baylor then Nebraska will be back.

Rhule isn't a criminal guy. Briles was, but I covered Rhule his first year, and he kicked a bunch of guys off the team. I also used to check arrest reports monthly, and it wasn't a problem. Briles? Yeah, I broke a couple of stories on his players getting arrested. 

Rhule recruits measurables. He runs a bread and butter offense and defense. He's one of the best at getting the most out of his talent. Jalen Pitre was a three star, and got picked #1 in the second round of the draft. His players come out of the college game with full preparation for the NFL. Nice guy in front of the camera, tyrant behind it. One of the reasons he had problems at Jacksonville was the pros didn't like his military type attitude. 

Remains to be seen how he'll fare in the era of NIL and transfer portal, but make no mistake, he encouraged a lot of people to, in his words, "be successful somewhere else."

Agree with you that Nebraska will probably suck in year 1. That's Rhule's MO. He establishes his system, and come hell or high water, that's what's going to happen. First year at Temple sucked. First year at Baylor sucked. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

I don't think Nebraska will ever be back.

The Big 12 nixed Prop 48/partial qualifiers, which was a sticking point leading to their decline. B1G doesn't accept them either. Where are they getting recruits these days? I don't care enough about Corn to look.

We will see I guess.  There's a path to success including the number 1 QB of 2024.  Frost managed to fuck that up somehow.

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Telling your players to GTFO is fine, if you have a plan to upgrade all positions. I'm not sure how tf he's going to fill out a 85 man roster before next season, much less upgrading it. And if he does, he has one fall camp to get them ready for new coaches and systems. This season is going to be UGLY.

And then the players he brings in this year know that they are merely stop gaps because he was rushed to fill a roster. 

You may not know how he is going to fill out an 85 man roster, but he does.  He's been planning for this all along.  It sounds like all of the kids in the portal (with the exception of MLC and Reed from what I hear) were told to leave.  MLC doesn't project as a starter, so it looks like he's taking his spring game film and looking for a starting role somewhere else.  But even Tyson was told to leave because he's hurt and won't play this year.

Edited by Chewbacca

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

Didn’t he literally tell the locker room to transfer in his introductory speech to them? I mean they were terrible last year so it might be the right move, but shouldn’t be at all surprising.

Yes, he did.  Sounds like only 15-20 players will carry over from 2022 to 2023.

2 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

Rhule isn't a criminal guy. Briles was, but I covered Rhule his first year, and he kicked a bunch of guys off the team. I also used to check arrest reports monthly, and it wasn't a problem. Briles? Yeah, I broke a couple of stories on his players getting arrested. 

Rhule recruits measurables. He runs a bread and butter offense and defense. He's one of the best at getting the most out of his talent. Jalen Pitre was a three star, and got picked #1 in the second round of the draft. His players come out of the college game with full preparation for the NFL. Nice guy in front of the camera, tyrant behind it. One of the reasons he had problems at Jacksonville was the pros didn't like his military type attitude. 

Remains to be seen how he'll fare in the era of NIL and transfer portal, but make no mistake, he encouraged a lot of people to, in his words, "be successful somewhere else."

Agree with you that Nebraska will probably suck in year 1. That's Rhule's MO. He establishes his system, and come hell or high water, that's what's going to happen. First year at Temple sucked. First year at Baylor sucked. 

That, and his team in Charlotte kept wondering where he was all the time.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

You may not know how he is going to fill out an 85 man roster, but he does.  He's been planning for this all along.  It sounds like all of the kids in the portal (with the exception of MLC and Reed from what I hear) were told to leave.  MLC doesn't project as a starter, so it looks like he's taking his spring game film and looking for a starting role somewhere else.  But even Tyson was told to leave because he's hurt and won't play this year.

This is fan hagiography at its finest. If you think Deion’s plan was to render 62 guys off of the roster and add 85 to it in a single cycle, it’s time to forcefully remove your head from the inside of his asshole. 

I made the offer earlier on this thread and only a few took me up on it. Name your price regarding CU making a bowl game and I will take the opposite position. You’ve mentioned here how bullish you are on such a matter, so don’t miss your chance. 

The dude has lost 46 guys and added 28. Maybe my math is a little off, but if the other 16 guys out of the original 62 all come back, that’s 42 guys on the roster as the portal nears closing. Add in 19 signees and that gets you to 61 players. Word is that another 5-10 will depart. The portal isn’t currently full of guys that are going to matter even if Sanders closes this cycle well. Anyone thinking a complete and total roster thrashing causing a team to enter a season with 60 or so players who have mostly never played together before is a good thing is living in fucking fantasyland. 

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is fan hagiography at its finest. If you think Deion’s plan was to render 62 guys off of the roster and add 85 to it in a single cycle, it’s time to forcefully remove your head from the inside of his asshole. 

I made the offer earlier on this thread and only a few took me up on it. Name your price regarding CU making a bowl game and I will take the opposite position. You’ve mentioned here how bullish you are on such a matter, so don’t miss your chance. 

The dude has lost 46 guys and added 28. Maybe my math is a little off, but if the other 16 guys out of the original 62 all come back, that’s 42 guys on the roster as the portal nears closing. Add in 19 signees and that gets you to 61 players. Word is that another 5-10 will depart. The portal isn’t currently full of guys that are going to matter even if Sanders closes this cycle well. Anyone thinking a complete and total roster thrashing causing a team to enter a season with 60 or so players who have mostly never played together before is a good thing is living in fucking fantasyland. 

That was 100 percent his plan.  If you listen to the man talk, you'll hear him tell you exactly what he's going to do.  His plan was always to turn over almost the entire roster.  He even said how he was going to do it - he called it his 40-40-20 plan.  40% grad transfers, 40% undergrad transfers and 20% HS recruits.  That is just on the front end to turn over the roster.  He has said he'll focus more on HS kids after the roster is turned over.

I'm not going to bet on a CU bowl game.  They were the worst team in the P5 last year.  But they will be much improved.  I do know that.  

He’s super cool and his swagger and celebrity will have them all playing like 5 star recruits. I’m just not buying his whole persona working at a mid level P5 even in the PAC. I have no hate for Primetime, I’m a Cowboys fan after all, but this hype train is really obnoxious and tiring.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Pay me 50 and I'll let you out of our bet

• Haha 5